• Published 11th Jun 2015
  • 4,447 Views, 197 Comments

HeartBeat - DemonBrightSpirit



After getting stood up at a nightclub, Derpy's evening starts to look up when she meets an interesting bartender.

  • ...
11
 197
 4,447

Over You

I was still smiling by the time I landed on my stoop. When I left earlier this evening, I never even imagined things could go so well, even with a lot of stuff going wrong. If I see that guy again, I’m going to have to thank him for standing me up. It was all just so… exhilarating.

Opening the door, I had to remind myself to be quiet. It was well-passed Dinky’s bedtime, after all. I stepped inside, quietly shutting the door behind me.

A familiar sight met me as I walked in; Amethyst Star lounging on my couch, a book suspended in her aura. “I’m home,” I said in little more than a whisper.

Amethyst turned her head to me, then the book dropped from her aura. “Oh my gosh! Are you okay?”

I tilted my head to the side as she rushed over. “I’m fine.”

“You look like somepony threw you in the garbage!” she hissed. “Come on, let’s get you cleaned up.”

Absentmindedly, I followed Amethyst into my kitchen. There, she grabbed a washcloth, poured water on it, and proceeded to wipe at my face. “I-I’m fine… really,” I managed to say with only getting the washcloth stuck in my mouth once. “It was just an accident.”

Throwing the rag in the sink, Amethyst sighed. “It’s always ‘just an accident’ with you.” She poked a hoof in my chest. “If that jerk did something…”

I shook my head. “He never even showed up.” I smiled. “Instead, I met this bartender, and we went out—oh, it was great! I don’t think I’ve felt like this since… well, since Dinky’s father.”

Amethyst scoffed. “Yeah, and we both know how well that turned out. He’s probably just trying to take advantage of you, too.”

Frowning, I glared at Amethyst. “Hey, Midnight might not be the greatest pony ever like I thought, but he wasn’t all bad.” My eyes found the floor as I gave my head a weak shake. “Besides, she’s different…”

Raising an eyebrow, Amethyst gave me a funny look. “She? As in a mare?”

I nodded. “She’s so interesting. And she’s not afraid to look me in the eye. And she’s nice and thoughtful and—”

“A mare. You went on a date… with a mare?”

“Well, yes.” I felt a little hot, knowing full well I must’ve been blushing. “I know I’ve never really, uh, tried dating a mare, but it was great!” I pawed at the floor. “I-I like her.”

Amethyst facehoofed. “You’ve only just met her!” she hissed. “Don’t you think you’re making a mistake here?”

I shook my head, frowning. “You always think I’m making a mistake. But I’m not. You know Dinky’s father isn’t coming back and I… I don’t want to be alone anymore.”

Placing a hoof on her forehead, Amethyst let out a long sigh. “And you deserve that, Derpy. You really do. But so far your attempts at romance have all ended in absolute disaster. What makes you think this time will be any different?”

Make it any different? Well, for one, I haven’t hit it off so well in just one evening with anypony. Even Dinky’s father took longer for us to get along so well. But, I guess that did end horribly. Just like every other attempt at a relationship I’ve ever made… ever. Hay, I can’t even remember the last time I made it so far in a date to actually kiss somepony.

My hoof made its way to my cheek where Vinyl had planted a kiss. Sighing, I lowered my hoof. “Maybe… maybe it won’t be different, but I still have to try.”

“All right.” Amethyst relented as she walked by me. “For whatever it’s worth, I do hope things work out for you.”

Amethyst headed towards the door, gathering up her saddlebag and her book. I followed after her. “Amethyst, I—thanks.” I put a hoof on her shoulder. “And not just for watching Dinky, either.”

She gave me a warm smile. “Any time, Derpy.”

I saw her out the door and we said our goodbyes. I know she meant well, but sometimes it feels like she doesn’t have any faith in me. Dinky is the one that needs a babysitter, not me.

Closing the door, I turned with the intention of getting a shower. After all, my hide and mane were still kind of a mess. But I stopped as my path was blocked by a little filly.

I smiled at her. “Now, isn’t it a little late for you to be out of bed, little missy?” I said in a mock-accusing tone, punctuating the statement by booping her nose. “I know Amethyst put you to bed hours ago.”

Dinky rubbed her sleepy eyes as she nodded. “I woke up when I heard you fighting.”

“Oh, we weren’t fighting.” I shook my head. “We were just… uh, talking?”

“Mom?” Dinky said, keeping her eyes averted. “Daddy’s gonna come visit me soon, isn’t he?” Only after asking the question did she look up at me with those big, pleading eyes.

My heart skipped a beat. Oh no. How much did she hear? What exactly did Amethyst and I say? I couldn’t remember. Struggling to put on a convincing smile, I nudged Dinky to turn her around. “Wh-why don’t we get you back to bed? We can talk about it in the morning.”

Dinky followed my direction with little more than a whine of protest. For a moment, I thought that I had maybe averted catastrophe, but I rarely get so lucky. Just as soon as I pulled the blankets up to her chest, she looked up at me. “I haven’t seen daddy since my birthday. Why won’t he come visit us?”

I felt a twisting feeling in my stomach as I nibbled on my lip. “I, uh…” Clearing my throat, I diverted the conversation. “Why don’t we write your daddy a letter? We can see if you can go spend another weekend with him in Canterlot.” Smiling, I put my hoof on her little head and ran it through her hair. “Would you like that?”

Snuggling into her blankets, Dinky nodded. “Can you come too this time?”

My smile melted away. “I… don’t think I’ll able to make it, sweetheart. But that doesn’t mean that you can’t go and have a nice time with daddy.”

Dinky opened her mouth wide, squeaking out an adorable yawn. “I really wish we could all live together again,” she said, rubbing her eye.

Licking my lips, I struggled to find the right words. I couldn’t break her heart and tell her that Midnight was trying to start a new family in Canterlot. And it’s not like her father didn’t want to see her, either. He’d be just as excited to get to spend a weekend with her.

I sighed. “We’ll write a letter tomorrow after school, okay?”

She gave me a halfhearted nod, though not for a lack of enthusiasm. Her eyes were already closed and she struggled to stay even a little awake. I leaned over, planting a kiss on her forehead. “Sweet dreams, sweetheart.”

Quietly stepping out, I closed the door behind me. Another sigh and I started off for the bathroom. If I weren’t such a mess, I’d just go collapse on my bed and join Dinky in dreamland.

I absentmindedly turned on the shower, barely recognizing that I had made it to the bathroom. My thoughts just kept distracting me. Dinky may have still been a filly, but she was getting old enough and more than clever enough to realize what’s going on. Midnight’s going to marry that possessive mare in Canterlot. Worse, he wants Dinky to be a part of the wedding. He hasn’t even told her he’s getting married yet.

Stepping into the rain of warm water did little to soothe me. Having her spend a weekend in Canterlot might not be such a good idea after all. It would be the best opportunity for her father to tell her about his plans.

Should I tell her myself?

No. I have to let him tell her. It’s not my place to. I just have to hope that she takes it well. Maybe, just maybe, when it really sinks in for her, she can start to move on. That would be for the best. After all, they say that pain has to come before the healing.

I just wish that pain didn’t have to happen to her.

Groaning, I leaned my head against the shower wall. Either way, her little heart is going to break when she finds out. I’ve tried explaining to her why I sometimes go out on dates, but she just has it stuck in her head that, somehow, I’ll get back together with her father. She just doesn’t understand that it’s… impossible.

Author's Note:

Proofreading for this chapter thanks to Black Flare.