• Published 26th May 2015
  • 2,473 Views, 55 Comments

Star Trek: You Won't Go Home Again... - Aceman67



Having left Starfleet, James finds himself back in Equestria, eager to return to his friends that he made over the last five years. Unbeknownst to him however, a pair of crimson eyes fueled by a thirst of revenge are watching...

  • ...
11
 55
 2,473

Chapter 1 - Kindness Transcends All Boundries

The Scott Free shook almost as if she were about to fly apart, but the old girl was as sturdy as the day they laid her keel almost forty years ago. A smaller, two-decked variant of the venerable Antares-Class civilian freighter, she handled well in the atmosphere; as much as what amounts to a falling brick could. If it wasn't for the warp core powered anti-gravity generators and shield emitters, the Scott Free would be torn asunder on her decent.

Thankfully this time around the landing would be controlled and safe. My sister would kill me if I let anything happen to this ship, it was all that is left of our parents, and it was what we called home for most of our lives, raised as what is colloquially referred to as 'space boomers'.

With the meadow where I had built my cabin in sight, I pulled a slow U-Turn to bring the ship into position for a soft touchdown a hundred meters from the cabin.

"Any landing you can walk away from..." I said to myself quietly with a chuckle. "Computer, power down all non-essential systems and activate planetary stand-by."

"Planetary stand-by activated." The male computer voice droned.

"I really need to change that voice... creepy." I said while making my way to the outer hatch. With the push of a button followed by the loud hiss of equalizing pressure, the hatch opened up into the warm Equestrian spring.

In the distance, I could make out several approaching ponies that I could only assume were my friends. My heart jumped in my chest as I saw Fluttershy coming at me in a dead run. She leapt into the air and flew the last several feet right into my arms, causing me to back peddle. Taking me in an embrace, she placed her lips on mine. Momentarily caught off guard, I eagerly returned her affections.

"Don't leave me waiting again." She told me quietly so only I could hear her.

"Never." I responded in kind.

After a few seconds, we both realized that no one else was talking. Turning to face the others, who were gathered in a semi-circle around the bottom of the gangway. Each of them had a shocked or confused look on their faces, save for Pinkie Pie, who seemed pre-occupied following the flight path of a butterfly. Several more awkward seconds passed as both Fluttershy and I flushed red with embarrassment.

"Guess we should have told them, huh?" I asked Fluttershy.

"Sorry..." She said, her voice registering just above a whisper.

"Sorry for what, darling. You have nothing to apologise for..." Rarity began.

"I had my suspicions..." Twilight added.

"Well, ah never saw it com'n." Applejack said with a disappointed tone before flashing a sarcastic smile at me.

"Since when?!" Rainbow Dash asked, now circling above our heads before getting down to my level to give me a 'brohoof' and a wink.

"It was after the Gala about four years ago." Pinkie said in a matter of fact tone while stotting around in circles following a butterfly. "They were all kissy kissy after Tree Hugger left." She added clinically. Fluttershy and I looked at her in shock. We thought we'd been discrete. Apparently not, it seems.

"It was after we got back from that first town the Cutie-Map sent us too," Fluttershy explained. "I wasn't sleeping well after that, so I went to visit him one night, and he listened to my concerns and soothed my worries." She continued. "After a few nights, it became a regular thing, one thing led to another..." Fluttershy said, her voice trailing off as her face deepened into an even darker shade of red.

"Say no more!" Twilight interjected, raising her hoofs in front of her in an attempt to hide her blushing cheeks. I let out a hardy chuckle before smiling as Fluttershy leaned against me, nuzzling my shoulder.

"Welcome home, Jimbo," Rainbow Dash said.

"It's good ta have you back, Tall Stuff." Applejack chimed in.

"Does this mean we get to have a party?!" Pinkie said with her trademark enthusiasm. "I think it does!" She yelled, appearing behind Fluttershy and I having moved faster than I could track, setting off a party popper she pulled out of nowhere, spreading confetti in every direction. "This is going to be so AWESOME!" Pinkie continued, appearing to vibrate in excitement before dashing off towards town at a pace I'd never seen anything move before.

"We'd better get to my house and make sure the animals are settled down for the night before Pinkie shows up." Fluttershy said prudently before leisurely flying along the ground towards her cottage.


"I do hope Pinkie will help us clean up tomorrow." Fluttershy said with a worried tone.

"You know she will. As scatterbrained as she appears to be, she would never leave her friends in the lurch." I reassured her, pulling her into a cuddle on her couch. She squirmed her way further under my arm and rested her head on my chest.

"Mmmm... You're warm." She told me quietly.

"I missed this." I admitted. "I missed you."

"I did too." She responded, craning her neck to give me a quick kiss.

I felt something pull at my pant leg. Looking down, there was Angel staring back up at me.

"Well, hey there buddy." I said to the small rabbit. I straightened my leg out for him to climb up but he only looked back up at me.

"He hasn't been himself lately," Fluttershy explained. "Doesn't have the energy he usually does. I guess he's just getting on in age."

"How old is he?" I asked, bending down to pick him up.

"I got him shortly after I moved to Ponyville, so almost eleven years I think." She told me, looking down at her loyal pet who had settled down in between us.

I gently petted his head, making sure to scratch between his ears. Before long he fell asleep between us.

"He's cute when he's asleep." I said quietly but didn't get a response. "'shy?" I beckoned. Looking to my left, she had fallen as sleep just like her adorable rabbit. Trying not disturb her, I reached behind the couch and pulled a blanket over us. This caused Angel to wake up with an annoyed look on his face, which quickly went away as he settled back into his previous spot, this time above the blanket. It didn't take me long to drift off myself listening to the soft crackle of the fireplace.


The enticing smell of breakfast cooking in the kitchen brought me out of my slumber. Thankfully I had managed to not wake up with a knot in my neck from sleeping on the couch. What ever it is, it smells wonderful. I started to get up before realizing Angel was sleeping on my lap.

"Come on Angel, time to get up." I said, but getting nothing in response. I used my hand to give him a light shake. In an instant, I felt my heart drop.

He was cold to the touch.

"Oh my." I said in disbelief, tears welling in my eyes.

"James, the food'll be ready in a few minutes, but I did make you--" Fluttershy started to say before dropping the tray carrying her tea set which crashed to floor and shattering. The crushed look of sadness she wore was heartbreaking.

"Oh, Fluttershy, I'm so sorry." I said through my own tears. "I think he passed in his sleep." I told her, holding him to my chest gently.


I had been watching her cottage since he showed up, and now was as good a time as ever to make good on my plan.

I looked down at them from my perch upon a cloud. I had never been able to quite get the spell to walk on clouds right, let alone conjuring wings to fly up to one. But with the amulet, it was trivial. From up here I could see all of them gathered under a tree. It would be so easy to telekinetically break one of the large branches above him. I thought. As I did so, the amulet started to glow red and a rush of euphoria washed over me.

The group started to move away from the tree; if I was going to do anything it would have to be now. I sent magic through my horn, which now glowed with a sickening mixture of crimson and light green, but stopped suddenly.

I hadn't been able to see it before, but now that they were departing the area, I could see it plain as day. Below the tree was a small patch of fresh soil, surrounded by flowers with a small stone plaque above it. Only Fluttershy remained behind.

"No, not today." I said aloud, feeling sympathy for Fluttershy. The amulet stopped glowing and burned where it touched my chest. At the same time, my stomach turned over on itself as a bout of nausea almost overcame me. "No!" I said loudly to no one. Through sheer force of will, I leapt from the cloud and flew off towards the Everfree Forest.

Author's Note:

Thank you to all those who liked the previous story, and I hope you enjoy what I have in store...

If anyone is interested in pre-reading, let me know. You'll get to read the story before its posted, how cool would that be? Right? :pinkiecrazy:

For those of you thinking the romance feels rushed or shoehorned, go re-read chapter 5, 8, and 10 from the previous story, I dropped some hints about this, and I always intended for it to go this way...