• Published 26th May 2015
  • 2,473 Views, 55 Comments

Star Trek: You Won't Go Home Again... - Aceman67



Having left Starfleet, James finds himself back in Equestria, eager to return to his friends that he made over the last five years. Unbeknownst to him however, a pair of crimson eyes fueled by a thirst of revenge are watching...

  • ...
11
 55
 2,473

Chapter 3 - Revenge Never Helps Anyone

Several Days Later...

"Oh... Isn't she just adorable?" Fluttershy exclaimed as we watched the small black and white rabbit chase a few chipmunks around the yard outside the cottage.

The baby creature looked to be having a good time right up until she chased them up the side of a tree. The two chipmunks laughed mockingly from their branch. Looking up above her, the rabbit cocked her head to the side, scowled then started tapping her right foot that was also black like one of her ears.

"Well, she certainly has a colourful personality," I remarked.

"I just wish she wasn't so skittish around you, but I think that'll pass with time as she gets older." Fluttershy responded, leaning up against me.

"That's it. I think I have a name for her." I said after suddenly having a thought.

"What is it?"

"Well, she's a little skittish, but she can be a little colourful, so why not Skittles?" I told her, getting a confused look. "Skittles are a rainbow coloured candy from Earth's past, my mom used to replicate them for my sister and I," I explained, making a note in my mind for later to get some for Rainbow Dash. The thought of her hyped up on sugar pleased me greatly.

"Skittles..." Fluttershy said, testing the word out. "I think I like it." She got up and walked over to the tree where the rabbit was still looking up at her quarry above, and got down to the diminutive animal's level. "What do you think? Do you like the name 'Skittles'?" She asked.

The baby rabbit looked at her for a moment, twitching her ears and whiskers. She then started to hop around in circles before climbing up on Fluttershy's head and burrowing into her mane, poking her head out and surveying the world around her.

"Skittles it is then," Fluttershy said as Skittles proceeded to duck in and out of her mane from different places, making Fluttershy giggle as the little rabbit's feet tickled her head. Fluttershy looked over at me and she wore the look of pure contentment on her face.

"She certainly looks happy," A new voice from beside me said.

"Hello Discord," I said nonchalantly. Discord, who with the apparent exception of Pinkie Pie, was the only other soul who knew about Fluttershy and I. To say he was upset was an understatement. He got jealous, literally turning green with envy, immediately after he figured it out a few days after his first Gala. Let me tell you, getting turned into a foot-stool for him to rest his legs on wasn't fun. Thankfully Fluttershy was able to talk him down by telling him that he would still be her friend and that would never change. I, on the other hand, knew that he would always carry a torch for the pegasus, so in private I assured him that I would take care of her if he promised to keep the knowledge of our relationship to himself. He obviously kept his promise, and by the look on Fluttershy's face, I was keeping mine. "Yeah, she does. It's been hard the last few days, so this is a welcome change."

"Yes, I heard about that," The draconequus said, watching Fluttershy play with Skittles, chasing her around the tree. "I'm sorry I wasn't there for her, I was... detained with something." He explained, lowering his head. "I do wish I could have done something. Even though Life itself tends to bring about chaos all on its own, and Death can sow its own for others under certain circumstances," He said darkly. "Death is sadly final, once it happens, the chaos ends and it's out of my control." Discord said, sounding uncharacteristically wise, his voice sullen and full of regret.

"She would never expect you to have been able to do anything, not that you could in the first place," I told him. "You can't let yourself feel like you are now, I know what that can do to someone personally. It doesn't end well and if it wasn't for her," I started to say, gesturing to Fluttershy. "I don't know what I would have done," I told him, alluding to the fact that I carried the 'what ifs' and 'could haves' for years after T'Pomei's death. Fluttershy helped me put those to rest, and I moved on.

"I guess we both owe her a debt that neither of us can repay." He said with a smile. "If it wasn't for her I'd be a statue again, took me months to get rid of the smell of bird shit."

I nodded in agreement, then looked at him with a raised eyebrow. He nodded back, snapped is talon fingers, and two bottles of beer aperated into our hands. We raised our bottles to each other and watched Fluttershy get chased around the yard with the sunset in the distance, both of us enjoying a drink with a friend and the sound of the mare we love laughing bringing smiles to our faces

Somewhere in Equestria, a barkeep was going to be short on his inventory count tonight.


Starlight Glimmer paced in front of the cave deep inside the Everfree Forest incessantly, so much so that a small rut in the soil marked where she walked.

"It's only a matter of time before they find us," She said.

The amulet around her neck glowed, slightly heating up. Starlight had long since gotten used to the discomfort.

"The Zebra is friends with the Princess, with her help they'll figure it out!" She yelled.

An audible sizzle could be heard as the jewelry seared her flesh, making Starlight's eye twitch reflexively.

"Don't argue with me, you know I'm right!"

Any response she was expecting was halted as the sound of a branch snapping drew her attention elsewhere. Her horn glowed briefly as she cast her chameleon spell and faded into the forest around her, and watched.

"I thought that you said you hid it in the forest?" Twilight asked Zecora who was walking beside her.

"Hid it here I did indeed, intentionally to mislead." The Zebra started. "I had the notion to take a forgetting potion, but I do remember a pond, down this path and beyond."

Starlight watched as the two continued down the path, unaware they were being watched.

"Let them search in vain," She said aloud when she was sure they were out of earshot.

The amulet glowed once more, and Starlight's eyes rolled to the back of her head as she let the wave of bliss wash over her.

"Yes, I know, while they're distracted we're free to do what we need to do." She stated to no one. Focusing her magic at the pile of timber near her cave, it began to rustle.


The Great and Terrible Skittles stomped through the city of Canterlot, leveling buildings underfoot, sewing mayhem and destruction where ever she went. Below her, the citizens fled in fear from the giant rabbit who's only mission was to see the city burn.

"Are you sure we should be letting him do that?" Fluttershy asked me as we watched Skittles destroy a miniature scale Canterlot as 'Uncle' Discord, as he wanted to be called, watched with child-like glee at the rabbit's rampage.

"Oh, its just a little harmless fun." I told her, pulling her into a cuddle to watch the sun finally slip below the horizon. The sound of flapping wings and the soft clop of hooves on the ground drew our attention behind us to see Thunder Head walk towards us.

"Hello, Guard Captain," Fluttershy said with a smile. "What brings you here?"

"Buisness ma'am." He said, snapping to attention. "Princess Sparkle has ordered me to ensure your protection."

"Protection from whom?" Discord said menacingly after snapping into existence behind the gold armour-clad pegasus. Without even flinching, the guard faced Discord.

"Princess Sparkle and Madam Zecora have reason to believe that the Alicorn Amulet has fallen into the hooves of ponies unknown and has targeted Fluttershy and company for as of yet unknown reasons." He explained. "I have been sent to make sure no harm comes to any of you."

"Is the amulet really that dangerous?" I asked. I had been told about it the last time Trixie came to town, but the story didn't really imply that it was dangerous, but the incident in town did give me pause.

"The amulet gives the wearer the magical abilities akin to alicorns, but at a price. It corrupts the user and it can only be taken off by the pony wearing it." Thunder Head told us.

"Well, I'd like to see anypony try and harm my Fluttershy." Discord said, donning similar armor to Thunder Head's in a cloud smoke.

"Good, because you're going to need all the help you can get." Came a voice from the forest's edge.

The first thing we saw was two glowing red eyes as the rest of her body faded into view.

"Starlight..." Fluttershy gasped. "Discord, get Skittles and the others inside." She ordered, her voice brimming with determination and concern.

"Oh, playing the selfless caretaker are we? What a load of shit." Starlight spat.

"What do you want?" I asked, stepping in between Starlight and Fluttershy.

"What do I want?" Starlight bellowed, then starting into a bout of manic laughter before unnaturally regaining her composure in a split second. "She took everything from me with one bucket of water. I had everything I wanted, things were just fine before that bitch and her tramps came to show us the 'virtue of friendship'." She continued with a disturbing, insane edge to her voice, her eyes seething with hatred. "So you want to know what I want? I want to see her lose everything she holds dear. I want to rip her life to shreds like she did mine, and I want her to watch as I do it." She said coldly before turning to stare directly into my eyes. "Starting with you."

Her horn began to glow, and behind her a pack of Timber-Wolves shimmered into view, their eyes glowing with the same red light as Starlight's.

With hunger in their eyes, they charged at us.