• Published 26th May 2015
  • 2,473 Views, 55 Comments

Star Trek: You Won't Go Home Again... - Aceman67



Having left Starfleet, James finds himself back in Equestria, eager to return to his friends that he made over the last five years. Unbeknownst to him however, a pair of crimson eyes fueled by a thirst of revenge are watching...

  • ...
11
 55
 2,473

Chapter 7 - New Opportunities

"Are you James Scott?" The Unicorn Stallion said, reading from a sheet of paper levitating in front of him.

I had been sleeping peacefully until a loud bang on the front door woke both Fluttershy and I. Shushing the drowsy mare, I got out of bed and walked downstairs. I'd managed to get pretty confident on my legs these last few weeks, won't be participating in the running of the leaves, but at least I wasn't falling flat on my face. Opening the door, I was greeted by a member of the Royal Guard, clad in golden armor.

"You are James Scott, correct?" He asked again.

"Do you have any idea what time it is?" I asked, using my foreleg to rub the sleep out of my eye.

"Half past seven in the morning, sir," The Guard answered a tad too officially.

"Well, I was sleeping, so what can I do for you?"

"You have been summoned to the Royal Court. Princess Celestia wishes to discuss a matter of state." The guard stated, snapping to attention at the mention of the Princess.

"Huh..." I said, taken aback by the summons. "Do you know why?" I asked.

"I am not privy to those details."

"And when am I expected?"

"As soon as possible. There is a Chariot waiting outside to take us there immediately." The Unicorn explained, stepping slightly to the side revealing the Pegasus-drawn chariot behind him.

"James, are you coming back to bed?" Fluttershy said as she gracefully descended the stairs. "Oh, hello."

"Greetings Ms. Fluttershy." The Unicorn said with a bow of his head.

"I've been called to Canterlot, the Princess wants to see me for some reason."

"Oh, my. That does sound important." She said meekly. "When do we leave?"

"Unfortunately, I was only ordered to pick up Mr. Scott," The Guard explained nervously. "There is not enough room in the chariot for a third passenger."

"That's ok then, you better get going," Fluttershy said, giving me a kiss on the cheek. "Best not to keep the Princess waiting, I'll see you when you get home."


The flight was long, boring, and rather uneventful. I did learn his name was Centurion Brisk Spark, and the two Pegasi doing the heavy lifting were Optio Onyx Bolt and Signifier Mythic Justice. I didn't know if it was just a quirk of my universal translator that I kept in my saddle bag (which Rarity was kind enough to have made for me), or that there might really be a relationship between this planet and Earth, because the similarities, like the use of roman ranks and the pun-laden city names like Manehatten and Vanhoover, were often too much take. But that was a train of thought for another time. Speaking of which, I think I'll take the train back to Ponyville, least then I'll be able to get some rest.

While not the first time I had visited the castle, I still marveled at it when I stood below its spires.

"Mr. Scott, this way please." Brisk Spark said, gesturing with his foreleg towards to a part of the castle I had yet to visit. Following his direction, I started down the hallway, with Brisk Spark following close behind, that went from the ornate walls, paintings and tapestries to something that resembled a typical office building. Passing by several ponies going about their business, I overheard conversations about tax rates, social programs, and many other government-related things.

We soon found ourselves at a large set of double wooden doors with a pair of stallions in smart-looking suits. On our approach, one of them lowered his head slightly and appeared to speak into the collar of his suit jacket. The second stallion opened the door and I walked in. Looking back at the closing door I noticed that Brisk Spark did not follow me. I found myself in a reception area for an office, a desk with a unicorn mare reading over various stacks of paper on one end, and a pair of Starfleet Officers seated on a couch on the other, a Human and Ferengi respectively.

Eyeing their ranks, I saw they were a Captain and Commander, most likely the CO and XO of whatever vessel had come to visit Equus.

"So what brings Starfleet to Equus?" I asked. Getting odd looks, I decided to introduce myself. "Sorry, James Scott, Ensign retired. I'd over a handshake, but I don't have hands anymore." I joked.

The two officers looked at each other, then the Captain got up and walked over to greet me.

"Captain LaForge, USS Challenger." He said, then gesturing to his companion. "This is Commander Nog, my first officer."

I was impressed. In front of me were two of Starfleet's best engineers. I didn't know them personally, but I knew of them by reputation. LaForge, of course, had been Chief Engineer on the Enterprise D and E for over twenty years. Nog was famous for another reason, being the first Ferengi in Starfleet, but his accomplishments were nothing to overlook. He was one of the principal designers for the newly rebuilt Deep Space Nine space station.

"You'll forgive our strange looks, we knew we were going to be meeting with you, but you were..." Geordi began.

"You aren't what we were expecting," Nog said, finishing his Captain's awkward statement.

"Yeah, it's a long story. Short version: I was transformed into a pegasus by a being of considerable power in order save my life and it's irreversible."

"Sounds like you had a run-in with Q," Geordi remarked.

"You know, I read about him, and Discord is a lot like him, just a tad bit friendlier."

"I don't want to hear another word on this matter." A loud voice rang out from the inner room. Twilight had told me about the Royal Canterlot Voice, I didn't quite get what she meant, but now I do, considering the pictures adorning the walls were vibrating. "You will have the emergency shelters you promised at the Manehatten docks by sunset at the price we agreed upon, cost plus ten percent, and not one bit more." The voice continued as I watched one of the picture frames come loose off the wall only to be caught in the glowing white magic and gently placed back where it originally hung. Out of the corner of my eye, I saw Nog scanning the entire thing with a tricorder. The secretary didn't even flinch. "Failing that, you will be answering questions from every newspaper in Equestria why you stand to make a considerable profit off a natural disaster before you can say the words 'chocolate cake'. Now get out of my castle and make it happen." Mere moments later a Unicorn stallion in very expensive clothes charged out the door in a huff and quickly left the office's waiting area with great haste, with all of our heads, the secretary included, watching him go.

"And I thought Uncle Quark could get angry." Nog quipped, getting a smile and short chuckle from his Captain.

A long, almost musical sigh, from behind us, drew our attention to see Princess Celestia standing in the doorway to her inner office.

"Pearl, please send word to Manehatten to ensure that that detestable pony holds up his end." The princess said to her secretary.

"I sent word the moment your meeting with him started, your Grace," She said, not even looking up from her work.

"Pearl, thank you. What would I do without you?"

"Not a lot, I would guess, your Grace," Pearl answered, and without skipping a beat, she looked up at us. "Mr. LaForge, Mr. Nog of Starfleet, and Mr. Scott of Ponyville to see you, ma'am."

"James! So good to see you again. When Lulu told me what happened, I was shocked, but you seem to be well." Celestia said with a smile that you could literally feel the warmth from. "I understand Miss Dash is going to be giving you flight lessons soon, correct?"

"Thank you for thinking of me, Princess, and yes, she is later this week," I answered. Looking back at Laforge and Nog, I spoke again. "I'm at a loss as to what reason I'm here for exactly."

"If you would come inside, we can talk about it." Celestia told me with a smile, then calmly walked back into her office.

It wasn't so much an office as it was a meeting room. There was a desk for working, but it was facing one of the walls off in a corner. In the center of the room were three sets of lavishly overstuffed cushions. Taking the one that had her facing the door, Celestia laid down and waited for us to do the same. LaForge and Nog took the one to her left, and I to her right.

"Over the past couple months, the Equus World Government has been in talks with the Federation, and they have agreed to open trade with us," Celestia explained.

"That's highly unusual, and a violation of the Prime Directive," I said almost reflexively.

"As you might know, Starfleet's Quantum Slipstream technology relies on Benamite crystals, which are exceedingly rare in nature," LaForge began.

"Not to mention unstable," Nog added.

"And synthesizing them in large quantities is a long process that can take years." LaForge continued. "And just through normal use, like round trips to the delta quadrant, for example, causes our current supplies to de-crystalize. On top of that, our current re-crystallization process is only a stop-gap measure"

"Apparently Equus' moon has large quantities of the substance, and its naturally stable, according to Starfleet's geologists," Celestia said, taking a sip from a coffee mug.

"It defies nature. Benamite, by the very way it's formed in nature, is unstable. I don't know what exactly happened to your planet's moon that lead the crystals to form the way they did, but stable benamite solves a lot of the longevity problems we've been having."

"So the Federation is turning a blind eye to the fact that Equus hasn't yet achieved spaceflight, let alone interstellar travel," I said, getting slightly shocked looks from every being in the room. "Sorry, considering the situation I was in not that long ago, I thought I'd point out the irony." Not to mention the hypocrisy... I added in my mind, thinking it wise to keep that to myself.

"Yes, I guessed that would be your reaction," Celestia began. "But know that the Equus World Parliment did not enter this trade deal lightly. We only did so because of the benefits the Benamite provides for us. Initial testing on the substance yields some surprising and promising results."

"Like what?" I asked.

"One of our scientists was able to store a magical spell inside one of the crystals," She told me. "It randomly cast itself, partially destroying the lab; nopony was hurt thankfully, but they are confident that a refined crystal would be more stable," Celestia explained. "That's why we need Starfleet's assistance."

"That does make a little more sense," I said, suitably impressed.

"Speaking of making sense, the reason you're here is to ask that you serve as our liaison with Starfleet," She said, leaving me gobsmacked.

"I... Wha..." I said, stammering. "Huh..." I continued, utterly speechless.

"I do ask one thing of those I ask to serve, though," Celestia told me. "That you never doubt that small group of compassionate and dedicated ponies can change the world." She let that request sink in. "Do you know why?"

I mulled it over in my mind briefly before responding. "I guess it's because that's the only thing that ever has."


"And that's how I got my new job." I explained.

Seated with me at the cafe table where the rest of the girls, who were all smiles. Twilight most of all, as she hung on to my every word when I was explaining what Benamite crystals could do. Fluttershy, who was next to me was smiling as well, but hadn't said much since I got home, but I paid it no mind.

"I do hope they gave you a good contract." Rarity said. "Government jobs do pay very well."

Reaching into my bags, I pulled out the contract and gave it to her to read. She held the bundle of papers in the air as she flipped through them. Then her eyes bugged out.

"One hundred and eighty thousand bits?!" She exclaimed.

"What?" I asked. "Is that a lot?"

"Jimbo," Rainbow said, addressing me in a deadpan tone. "You're rich."

"Well, that's a load off my chest," Fluttershy said quietly in a relieved tone.

"What do you mean?" Twilight asked.

Taking a deep breath, Fluttershy turned to her friend. "I'll tell you in a moment, right now I need to talk with James." She said right before getting up and walking a small distance away out of earshot, and I followed.

"What is it?" I asked.

"Remember when I went for a checkup last week at the doctors?" She answered with a question. "Well, after you left Dr. Horse called me back in to talk to me."

A wave a dread washed over me. "Is something wrong? Are you sick?"

"Oh, no, no. Nothing's wrong." She said with a smile, alleviating my fears. "Something was right." She continued. "James. I'm pregnant."

"That's good," I said. Then it hit me. "Wait, WHAT?!"

Author's Note:

What Celestia asked James is, in fact, a quote by famous Cultural Anthropologist, Margaret Mead.

Never doubt that a small group of thoughtful, committed citizens can change the world; indeed, it's the only thing that ever has.