• Published 10th May 2015
  • 3,984 Views, 131 Comments

My Little Pony: The Seal of Death - Azrael the alicorn



An ancient alicorn believed to be a legend has returned to Equestria, and warns Princess Celestia of grave danger.

  • ...
13
 131
 3,984

04: Rise of Darkness

Chapter 4
Rise of Darkness

When Chrysalis teleported outside the palace, she was standing opposite Discord. A haughty expression appearing on her face.

“Oh, who have we got here?“ said Discord. “Queen Chrysalis, is it?”

“I have come to destroy you, Discord,” replied Chrysalis, an energy ball appearing at her horn. “Now that I have the Alicorn Amulet, nothing can stand in my way.”

“You seriously think you can destroy me with that ancient amulet of yours?” said Discord, starting to laugh. “The only things which have even come close to destroying me are the Elements of Harmony."

Chrysalis stared at Discord, angry.

“Seriously Chrysalis, sometimes I wonder just how stupid you really are—”
That last comment caused Chrysalis to lash out at the draconequus with a powerful energy beam. He was pushed away onto the walls of the palace through the power of the blast, and in seconds, it was toppling down from the impact of the shot. Discord was buried beneath tons of rubble, and Chrysalis let out a maniacal laugh.

Mountains of rubble from the palace fell down at an incredible velocity, showering the entire town with flaming rocks and sharp brick fragments. The flaming debris covered the entire Canterlot square. The palace had been blown to pieces, completely destroyed.
But Discord reappeared behind Chrysalis in a flash, dusting off his body.

“You know, it’s really quite rude to attempt to crush a draconequus in piles of rubble,” he said. “And just look at the flames coming from the royal palace. You know, you shouldn’t destroy things that don’t belong to you.”

He was right, clouds of smoke were coming of the rubble. If they were not the powerful beings they were, they would have surely choked on the fumes at the distance they were from it.

“So, I’m afraid I will have to teach you a lesson,” said Discord.

A huge boulder flung out of the sky, on a near perfect trajectory for the changeling queen. But with a sudden move, she looked up at the boulder, shot a giant laser beam at it, and shattered it to pieces.

*
Twilight looked in horror as she saw a cloud of smoke in the place where the royal palace should have been. Azrael had teleported them outside to safety in a nearby garden when they had heard and had seen the building starting to collapse on the inside.
The purple mare was shocked and upset. A building which had stood for thousands of years had suddenly been crushed, and all her memories contained inside alongside with it. She knew it must have been Queen Chrysalis who had made the attack, as King Sombra was inside with them at the palace. The mane six didn't see him teleport out of the building, but they didn't think for a second that he was dead and that they had won.

“Why—why would she do this?!” cried Twilight, shrinking down low.

Why had Sombra been immune to the elements? They had defeated everyone else with them. She crouched down next to a bush, and started to weep. Sombra was unstoppable, he had won. Harmony was about to be destroyed forever…
Her friends were similarly crouched down behind a tree, hugging together for comfort. Celestia and Luna were standing close to Twilight; they did not cry, or even frown, but Twilight knew wholeheartedly that they were upset, likely much more than she was as this had been their home for thousands of years. Azrael was standing on the opposite side of Twilight, him having the same expression on his face as the two queens.

“Azrael?” asked Twilight. “What can we do now?”

Azrael turned to Twilight, his voice sympathetic.

“I don't know.”

Just at that moment, Twilight and the rest were bathed in shadow, and they knew exactly who it was.

“It seems friendship is no longer so magic, is it?,” Sombra taunted, his voice booming. Slowly, the evil alicorn revealed himself, his ghostly eyes piercing through all of their hearts.

“Hmm, trying to impress your girlfriend, I see,” stepped up Spike bravely, running up to face Sombra. He looked at Sombra, and then started motioning towards Chrysalis, fighting Discord in the distance.

The will of the dragon was unmatched, and Twilight saw a determination in his eyes that she had never seen before in anyone. The dragon was furious: furious at Sombra as he had reduced the people dearest to him to hopelessness, and furious at himself for hardly ever being of use to his friends.
Sombra laughed again, “Such childish humor little dragon, but no matter, all of you will be DEAD soon enough.”

Without warning, Spike opened his mouth to breath fire.

“NO SPIKE!” screamed Twilight.

It was too late however, Spike was already hurling fire at the dark tyrant. Everyone was astonished at the dragon’s will. Celestia and Luna, the two ancient leaders of Equestria, lay battered on the ground defeated, hopeless. But a tiny little dragon was using his tiny power against the second most powerful being in the world, sure to die, but no less brave and willful.
Unfortunately, the fire did as expected: nothing. Sombra was left undamaged physically, but the one thing that was damaged was his patience.

“I'm going to do what I should have done the moment I met you you little purple slime, end your life this minute!” he screamed.

An energy beam blasted out of his horn, hitting the baby dragon and pushing him at least a meter away. The mane six and the alicorns came rushing from their spots to circle round the purple dragon, hoping for a sign of life, but he was completely lifeless. At that moment, all of the remaining nine of them were stricken with grief.
Fluttershy and Rarity let out floods of tears as they circled around him, crouching down and screaming for him to wake up. But the one who suffered the most was Twilight. She took the dragon whom she had come to seen as a brother or even an adopted son in her loving arms, squeezing him affectionately as she let her tears flow on the cold and lifeless dragon. The others crowded around her, eyeing the dragon carefully, waiting for the last ounce of hope.
She gently kissed the dragon whom she had come to love as a brother or son on the forehead. They all tearfully watched as he slowly faded into ashes, like all dragons do when they die.

Twilight got to her hooves, a battle stance at the ready. She was angrier than she had ever been before. A murderous look dug into her face, as she tearfully looked at the dark tyrant with nothing less that pure hatred.

“You monster!” she screamed, louder than she ever had before, her horn glowing a ball of energy on the tip, getting ready to strike. “I will make you pay!”

Luna, Celestia, and Azrael ran frantically to tried to pull her back, but as they did, they found a bunch of small crystals materializing on their horns, preventing them from using their magic. Then, a bunch of dark crystals appeared out of the ground, surrounding Twilight, and stopping the alicorns from getting to her. After they had retreated, Sombra pulled the crystals back in, and came face to face with the purple mare. Twilight's eyes were homicidal, like she would kill someone any minute, and that's exactly what she planned to do.

She fired a laser beam at Sombra with all the power she could muster, but he dodged. She tried again, but similarly to no avail. She flew up to Sombra, again trying to blast him, but each time she tried, she wouldn’t hit him, and it would just cause a huge explosion on the ground. Everyone knew that Sombra could kill her in a split second, but he was enjoying toying with the young princess. Twilight materialized two sharp red magical blades from her horn and threw them at the dark tyrant, but he shattered them in mid air. Once Twilight regained her sanity, and realized that all she was doing was wasting energy. She flew back down to the ground, fresh tears spilling from her eyes. Sombra had won, and there was nothing they could do.

“Your anger means nothing to me for I wield the Glyph of Death . I’ve taken the soul of that thing and I’m about to do the same to you!”

Twilight Sparkle looked up, defeated “Then do it,” she said simply, resigning herself to her fate.

Sombra laughed.

“A quick death is too good for you, Twilight Sparkle,” said Sombra. “You deserve something much more severe. It’s time to understand that you are nothing but dust in front of me.” He then pointed south towards Ponyville. “Every soul I can steal with a thought. just as I did with your parents.”

“What?” Twilight asked in disbelief.

“Why else do you think that this city is all calmly: everyone in this city is DEAD,” Sombra roared. “And I intend to do the same for everyone else in Equestria: steal their souls.”

“You—you—you monster!” screamed Twilight. She started to lunge at him, but was quickly pulled back to the ground by Sombra’s magic.

Sombra started to laugh.

“I am much more than a monster, Twilight Sparkle. I am second in command only to Death himself,” he roared.

Just then, Princess Celestia stood up, and looked at Sombra with pleading eyes.

“Please Sombra,” she pleaded. “We will do whatever you want, just don’t hurt my people.”

Sombra, for a moment, thought over the offer the sun goddess had made. For what seemed an eternity, he finally spoke “There are a few things I want at the moment,” spoke Sombra. “And among them is your suffering...”