• Published 10th May 2015
  • 3,984 Views, 131 Comments

My Little Pony: The Seal of Death - Azrael the alicorn



An ancient alicorn believed to be a legend has returned to Equestria, and warns Princess Celestia of grave danger.

  • ...
13
 131
 3,984

08: The Trap

Azrael’s group had reached the entrance of the Soul Eater’s cave and was checking out its borders. There were some arcane symbols on the outside and Azrael, Celestia, and Twilight were investigating what they could mean. Meanwhile, the rest of the group looked in awe at the size of the opening; all but Fluttershy, who was keeping an eye out to warn the group of the arrival of Rainbow Dash and the beast.

The shy pegasus was a great lover of nature, and there was no creature, no matter how dark and menacing looking, that she wouldn’t love. But this creature, the Soul Eater, was something that even she couldn’t defend. Something made to devour the souls of the living was nothing more than a monster; and the fact that even Azrael, the angel of death, feared it, was even more proof of that.

But the thoughts on the Soul Eater weren’t the only ones in Fluttershy’s mind; she thought also of Rainbow Dash’s reaction. She knew her well and she knew that there was something more than simply overconfidence in her voice. She could only hope for a time when she could speak and listen to, and understand what was troubling her friend. Azrael had more impending things to worry about it.

“It would seems that our dark enemy has cast a spell on this passage,” explained the angel of death.

“I’m not surprised; Sombra has always been one who program things in advance. I know from experience,” said Twilight Sparkle, remembering how many traps she had faced in the Crystal Empire.

“Would that stop us from closing it?” asked Celestia, worried.

"It doesn’t feel like it. From what I can feel, however, once we start doing our spell we might get interrupted by outside interference,” explained the alicorn. He turned his gaze to Applejack, “While we will prepare the spell, we cannot be stopped or else we could waste precious time. We need your help to fend the enemies off.” He hung his head slightly. “Sorry to give you such heavy duty,” he apologized.

“No problem, Azrael, we’re going to protect you three. You can count on it!” promised the earth pony with a confident smile.

---
Rainbow Dash loved challenges and loved even more to fly at high speed. It was her gift and she was not bashful about it, showing off at every chance she could. She had waited so long for an opportunity to test how long she could keep at full speed.

Too bad that this time there wasn’t her ego at play but her own life, not to mention the lives of all the innocent ponies which would be lost, if she couldn’t succeed in trapping the gigantic worm that was chasing her down.

Azrael wasn’t kidding when he mentioned the speed of that monster; the Soul Eater was so fast that it was easily keeping up with her at full speed.

How can something that big be so damn fast? thought Rainbow, trying desperately to get a safe position. That wasn’t enough because, despite his apparently mindless attitude, the monster was capable of taking the initiative, trying to “jump” towards his flying prey. Dash was forced to move left and right to not end up in that gigantic maw. As if that wasn’t enough, Rainbow Dash could not avoid turning her gaze back to check the monster. She could feel her blood freezing at the sight of the eyes. She tried to use her flying maneuvers to gain some space, but they did next to nothing. She even tried passing through a gap between two mountains; but the Soul Eater just rushed between it, destroying the mountains and throwing up many stones that Rainbow Dash had to dodge. The colossus didn’t show any signs of damage from it.

When the entrance of the cave finally came into view, Rainbow Dash felt a lot better, certain that soon this story would be over and that that pinworm wouldn’t hurt anypony. She flew right into the tunnel with the Soul Eater only a few dozen meters behind.
---
The rest of the Mane Six, Celestia, and Azrael came out from their hideout.

“The first part of the plan is done,” said the angel of death. “Now it is our turn.”

He turned to Fluttershy and asked kindly, “Are you ready?” She limited the answer to a nod, her expression scared but at the same time ready to help her flying friend. The rest of the group cheered her on.

“You can do it, Fluttershy!” stated Rarity.

“You are a better flyer than you think, Shy. Don’t let your fear have the best of you!” encouraged Twilight.

“Do a barrel roll!” said Pinkie Pie, getting confused glares by everypony else. “What? It’s a good advice!” she defended.

Fluttershy flew into the cave at full speed and Azrael, Celestia, and Twilight Sparkle started working on the spell.
---
Rainbow Dash was impressed to still have energy left after being chased by the Soul Eater, but that was the only good thing. Now that she was in a closed space, it didn’t give her the chance to fly high and avoid most of the assaults of the worm.

Suddenly, Fluttershy was at her side and she felt the bragging part of herself coming back.

“Hey, Fluttershy, nice to have you here!” greeted the cyan pegasus with a smile.

“Hum, thanks,” whispered back the yellow pegasus. “Are you alright?”.

“I’m fine, that big worm can’t even lay a jaw on me. Now tell me, Fluttershy, do you remember of all the flight acrobatics we learned way back then?” asked the element of loyalty with a cocky grin.

Fluttershy understood right away what her boastful friend was going to do, and answered to the cocky grin with one of her own. The two pegasus started making double team moves, making the Soul Eater’s attempts to eat them fruitless. The eyes of the monster turned from white to red-orange, a clear sign that he was growing impatient and angry. He tried to ram his prey, but the two got out of the way, making him crash his head against the solid stone of the cave. Surprisingly enough, that seemed to stun him a little, leaving time for the two elements of harmony to take a breath. Rainbow Dash and Fluttershy exchanged a smile, but then the cyan pegasus frowned.
“I’m sorry if I offended you before, Fluttershy,” apologized Dash.

“I’m not offended, Dashie. I’m just worried what’s bothering you,” the shy pegasus told her with sweet tone.

Rainbow Dash sighed. “You know me, Flutters. The truth is that I don’t want you to take any risks. I’ve already lost many friends … I don’t want to lose you too. What kind of friend would I be if I couldn’t defend my friends?” asked the cyan pegasus, looking miserable.

“Dashie, you don’t have to take all the danger for yourself. We work best when we are together, helping each other out,” explained Fluttershy.

Rainbow Dash nodded and was about to thank her when she noticed something moving from the mist of dust. Then suddenly, right under their hooves, the dreadful maw of the Soul Eater emerged with flashing speed.
---
Rarity, Applejack, and Pinkie Pie watched the three alicorns summon their powers and work on their spell with awe, but it didn’t take long for them to start worry about something else. Suddenly, all around them, a dark crystal creature that reminded them of wolves started arising from the ground and started moving towards them and the alicorns.
“And I was so very hoping not to have to fight again!” whined Rarity while she picked up with her magic a big boulder. “All these battles are ruining my mane.”

“We got more to worry than our manes,” stated Applejack.

“Let’s get the party started!” Pinkie Pie shouted.

The trio faced the crystal monsters using their own skills. Rarity used her boulder to smash the monster into pieces and then used the shards as projectiles. Applejack used her brute force and lasso to keep them far from the alicorns, and Pinkie Pie used her randomness to distract the enemies, granting her friends a good hit.

Azrael, Celestia and Twilight Sparkle managed to complete the spell.

“We are done here,” Azrael said, then noticing how tired Celestia was. Twilight Sparkle looked ready to fall in the ground, not yet capable to express the power of her alicorn form.

“Rest now, I’m going to warn Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash,” he added.

He watched what the two earth ponies and the unicorn were doing with his minions.

So, of course things had to go wrong.

A magic window opened, showing the face of Sombra.

“Nice idea to split the group in two. And I can’t help but be impressed by your work here. So I’ve decided to help you shut down the passage!” said the dark tyrant, activating a spell. The entrance of the cave started to be covered by magic that was taking a more solid form. That would not have been a problem … if Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash were out of the cave.

“NO!” screamed Twilight Sparkle trying to prevent the closure, but she had no energy left. Azrael stepped into action with Celestia and managed to slow down the spell with their magic.

“Rainbow Dash … Fluttershy … get out of there!” begged the angel of death.
---
Rainbow Dash acted as fast as possible, pushing her friend away from the jaws of the Soul Eater, and then tried to get away from it. Sadly, her right wing had the misfortune to clash slightly with the body of the monster, causing her a lot of pain and making her lose control of her flight. She crashed down into the ground, further worsening the effect of the injury.

“Dashie!” shouted Fluttershy, feeling her heartbeat in fear. Her friend looked like she was knocked out, and the Soul Eater was looming over her, ready to devour her. But Fluttershy flew right in front to the colossus and used her most powerful technique: the Stare!

The Soul Eater stopped in his tracks, almost caught unprepared for the energy the pegasus was putting in her eyes. It impressed the little mind the monster had. It wasn’t easy work staring at those soul piercing eyes, but Fluttershy would not let her friend get eaten by that thing.

Sadly, the effect of the Stare started to wear off, letting the Soul Eater start to slowly move again. In that moment the not-so-shy pegasus heard the message of Azrael. It was time to leave at last. Without breaking the Stare away, she begged, “Please, Dashie, wake up.”

Rainbow Dash seemed to come back to her senses a bit, but is was clear that she was in no condition to fly, “Get out … Fluttershy … save yourself … I don’t want you to get hurt,” she murmured feebly.

“Never!” claimed Fluttershy, picking up her friend and flying as fast as she could towards the exit. Her absence destroyed the effect of the Stare on the Soul Eater, and after a short roar he started chasing the pony.

---

“What is going on down there!?” asked Applejack, confused.

“I don’t know yet, but something is not right,” said Rarity.

The trio had defeated most of the crystal monsters and only three remained. The monsters took advantage of the distraction and leaped towards the ponies, catching them in a grip, and then disappeared with them with a flash of a teleportation spell. When the light turned off the ponies found themselves in the tunnel of the cave, while the aggressors shattered like glass after the magic use.

“Well, this is certainly bad,” commented Applejack.

“But I think that is far worse,” said Pinkie Pie, noticing Fluttershy run away from the Soul Eater with Rainbow Dash on her back.

The group started running away. The yellow pegasus noticed them and, knowing that they couldn’t outrun the Soul Eater, picked them up. She knew that would slow her down, but she could not afford to lose any of her friends.
---
The situation of Rarity, Applejack and Pinkie Pie didn’t go unnoticed by the three alicorns. Azrael and Celestia exchanged a look and the princess of Equestria knew that there was only one thing that could be done. She surprised Twilight Sparkle with a caring hug. The purple alicorn watched her teacher with confusion and then, when she looked her in the eye, she understood what she was about to do. Before she could say something, the ruler of Equestria teleported away.
Fluttershy’s group could see the light from the end of the tunnel, but the chances of arriving there alive were hardly possible at the moment. Rarity tried to help her pegasus friend by levitating them to make them lighter, but the Soul Eater was just too fast.
Suddenly Celestia appeared in a flash of light and unleashed on the colossus her full power, blinding the beast. This gave the group the chance to get out of the cave.

Twilight was joyful to see her friends alive and well, but the joy was destroyed when their attention turned to the ruler of Equestria. She was facing off the Soul Eater, granting them the chance to close the passage.

Celestia and Azrael had understood that Sombra wouldn’t stop messing with the plan until someone was killed by that monster. It couldn’t be the elements of harmony, it couldn’t be Azrael.

It had to be her.

“Celestia!” screamed Twilight Sparkle, watching with all her friends, tears in their eyes.

“Be strong, my little ponies,” said Celestia, smiling at her friends she nodded to Azrael, which he returned. Celestia turned her attention to the Soul Eater, charged up her horn and charged the titan. Before the passage was closed, they saw her get devoured.

“Nooo!!!” yelled the purple alicorn to the skies above her.
---
Luna felt her heart skip a beat and a cold but at the same time hot feeling crossed her mind. She stopped her flight and landed, and then looked behind her.

"Sister" whispered the ruler of the night, knowing much too well what happened to her eldest sibling. She started flying again towards the Crystal empire with a stoic expression, but if anyone had raised their eyes to the sky, they would have seen the stars give off a glimmer of a sad light.
---
Fluttershy was holding a wounded Rainbow Dash, who was trying to go and break the seal to avenge in some way the fallen ruler of Equestria. Rarity was consoling Pinkie Pie, the pink pony curled in her lap, crying. Applejack sobbed uncontrollably.

Azrael felt once again that feeling of guilt coming back to torment him. Then he noticed how Twilight Sparkle was watching over the horizon with a purely remorseful expression on her face. The purple alicorn took the tiara from her head, and after taking a long look into it, she threw it away in a moment of powerless fury. She kneeled on the ground, crying.

This snapped out the rest of the Mane Six from their sadness as they moved to their friend. Rarity picked up the tiara, cleaning away the dust and dirt. Twilight felt their presence, her eyes red from grief and hopelessness, but her friends gave her back the crown with tender smiles on their faces.

The purple alicorn watched the tiara, then her friends and again her element … and smiled. The Mane Six hugged, giving to each of them the force they needed to fight back the sorrow that was hurting their hearts.
What Azrael saw in them touched something in his heart. He suddenly knew that no matter what Sombra cast against them, the Elements of Harmony would never surrender.

The moment got ruined when something unexpected happen … the sun went off.

Author's Note:

Here's as I promised the new chapter. Again Im sorry for the wait, but time went pretty dang fast this week and I was away in the weekend and that is one of the main reason why the pacing in this part is a little bit off, I promise you that the next one is going to come out soon, in fact I think im going to start right away.
Once again thanks for Jarvy for the proof reading the story and for his constructive critics wich I hope will help me improve your readings.