• Published 10th May 2015
  • 3,984 Views, 131 Comments

My Little Pony: The Seal of Death - Azrael the alicorn



An ancient alicorn believed to be a legend has returned to Equestria, and warns Princess Celestia of grave danger.

  • ...
13
 131
 3,984

20: Life

The Mane Six and Azrael arrived in the center of the forest. At the center of it there was an alicorn. At first Twilight and the others thought that she was Celestia, but getting as they got closer they realized they were mistaken. The mysterious alicorn was white and had a multicolored mane, but it was much more longer and filled with even more shades of colors than Dash’s, and was much taller than the ruler of Equestria.

“Welcome to the Dusk of Souls, Elements of Harmony and angel of death,” said the mysterious alicorn, watching them with her jade eyes the group. Her voice sounded young but at the same time old and ethereal.

“Who are you?” asked shyly Fluttershy. There was something in the alicorn that emitted an aura so powerful and yet so kind. Azrael felt that aura even more and he couldn’t help but notice how similar yet different it was from Death.

“I am Life,” she told them with a kind smile on her face.

Those three words were enough to warrant surprise and questions from the ponies. Azrael instead seemed less shocked and kept an enigmatic expression.

As if the abstract could read their minds (and probably she might have done so), she added, “I know you have many questions but, as I’m sure you know, time is running short. There is a lot you must learn before you can go back to help your friends.”

“What about the Wraiths? What can we do if in the meantime?” asked Rarity, worried. “We’ve learned that our friends’ souls could be vanquished!”

“They could end up devoured!” added Applejack.

“Your fears are justified, my little ponies. But you must not worry for the souls of your allies, for I will save them, taking them beyond the barrier I have risen to stop the Wraiths… just like I did with your friend,” told them Life, assuring them with a warm smile.

“You mean Floral Heart?” asked Fluttershy.

Life nodded and the group felt relief, knowing that their friend didn’t fall victim of those monsters and could have reunited with her family.

“Ok then, what is it that we must learn? Is it about the Elements of Harmony?” asked Twilight Sparkle, curious.

“You will find out soon enough.” A new path opened before them. “Proceed until you reach the lake.” said Life.

The Mane Six looked between each other and decided to comply. After all the entity seemed friendly enough and had helped them escape from the specters. But as they proceeded into the new path they noticed that Azrael was not following them.

“You’re not coming with us?” asked Rainbow Dash.

“No” said the angel of death, “What you have to find out is for you only. I will stay here… and have a talk with Life.”

The Mane 6 could thought they heard an edge in the tone of Azrael, but they didn’t have time to clear that. They saluted the two alicorns and walked into the path.

Once that they were far away, Azrael made to speak, but the abstract preceded him.

“I sense many questions in you as well, Azrael. Please, feel free to ask. I will try to answer to them.”

“What is your relationship with Death?”

“I’m the other face of the same medal, Azrael, you know that and—“

“Yes I know. What I meant was: are you and Death friends, brothers, or what?”

“We have been created by the same being so yes, I guess we can consider ourselves brothers, in a way. And we treat each other with respect.”

“Then why didn’t you stopped me from imprison him?”

“You know the answer, Azrael. My intervention would have damaged the Balance that Death has worked so hardly to fix in all those years in which he was on Equestria.”

“I know” he said lowering his head, sighing. “I remember all those days in which Death would tell how important Balance was; of how it is necessary to have both good and evil, chaos and harmony to coexist; and of how if one of the two sides would start to get too much powerful they will end up too… corrupted. Still I don’t understand why, if an abstract interaction is such interference, why Death has remained for so long.”

“Because the Soul Eater assault had already broken the Balance and Death has tried his best to fix that and keep an eye on the alicorns.”

“And then I’ve made the great mistake to trap him,” concluded Azrael, looking guilty.

“Have you ever wondered why Death didn’t find out about your plan?” asked Life.

“Yes, more than once. I’ve always thought that it was because he didn’t expected me to betray him… but at the same time I couldn’t believe it myself. He always seemed to know everything.”

“And do you know what happened after it?”

“Not that much actually. Since my discovery of Rezor’s lies I pretty much closed in on myself. All I know is that the war ended and then the Elements of Harmony have appeared—“ He stopped, as he suddenly noticed something that he never considered before now. “His imprisonment, the war… it was all a plan made so that the Elements of Harmony would be created!?” stuttered Azrael.

“Yes.”

“But was it necessary to cause all that suffering?”

“No. That was just one of his many plans. Death is never unprepared, Azrael. He studies every possibility. All consequences may be made by heart or mind, calculating every choice. His intellect is as vast as his powers. He could easily consider us nothing more than pawns to him. But I know him good enough to know that he is not so manipulative.”

“Once I would have thought the same, but now that I know how he used me…” said the angel of death. He wasn’t irritated. He was shocked. For so long he has thought that his actions were foolish… and now he had just find out that he had just helped Death succeeding in his plans. He should have been angry against him, but for how much the idea to be used that way sounded horrible the consequences weren’t completely horrible. In fact, the pale alicorn plan had in fact contributed to give the instruments to save Equestria from the forces of evil. Azrael was conflicted between the awe of how cunning Death has been and anger for the innocents suffer.

Life could sense that in him.

“You should know that this plan was one of those he didn’t liked.”

“But why? Why did he have to reduce the alicorn kin to near extinction?”

“I’m not the one who has to tell you why, Azrael,” Life said.

“Life, please—“ Azrael tried to say, but she interrupted him.

“Defeat Sombra and all your questions will find an answer.”

“Easier said than done,” commented the angel of death.

“You can do it, Azrael. Your power over the souls is second only to Death, if you just let go all the failures and frustration of the past.”

“I’m not sure I can do it… not after all this time,” said the angel of death, looking very doubtful.

“You can, Azrael, I’m sure of it. Now I must focus, the battle between your friends and Sombra army has started and I’m afraid that soon I shall do my best to prevent them getting eaten by the Wraiths.”

“Can you show me what’s happening?”

She nodded and opened a magic window which showed the battlefield. He watched how the undead alicorns charged again the united forces of Equestria and how the latter fight back with as much force as they could muster.

I hope that we are still in time, thought the angel of death.

***

The Mane Six’s walk was so calm that it was surreal. Not being chased by hungry spirits probably helped them a lot. And then they reached the lake and they finally saw the beauty of the Dusk of Souls. Before them there was an immense lake which water looked so transparent but at the same time didn’t allowed to see what was it under it. And then there, far away, there were tall mountains that didn’t allowed to see what lies beyond them, but it couldn’t stop the glimmer which shined above their tops. The flicker beamed of so many colors, so many shades and tints that would put in shame any rainbow and was just a show that the Mane 6 felt could watch for all eternity.

The place was just so calm and relaxing that there weren’t words capable to describe the sense of peace which irradiated from this place and if it wasn’t that the Mane Six had a mission to accomplish they would just lied down there admiring the lights.

Then, suddenly, their tiaras and necklace of the Elements of Harmony appeared on their ethereal bodies, sparkling intensely as if they were doing something. From the lights of the Dusk six spheres appeared and in a matter of seconds reached the group, for the assuming the forms of six full grown alicorns. Five of them were males, one a female. There was something oddly familiar about them, but none of the Mane Six managed to understand what it was.

The one which looked the wisest decided to break the ice.

“Greetings, Twilight Sparkle, Rarity, Applejack, Fluttershy, Rainbow Dash, and Pinkie Pie. We have been waiting so long for this day to happen,” said the alicorn, smiling warmly to the Mane Six.

“Who are you?” asked Twilight Sparkle, confused.

“We are the alicorns of the ancient times… and the Elements of Harmony.”

Author's Note:

Here we go!