• Published 4th May 2015
  • 1,086 Views, 52 Comments

Emerald Chronicles - Dandereshy



Emerald Shield has had enough of Manehattan and all else it had to offer. In a last effort attempt to rid himself of all his past burdens, he moves to Ponyville. But fate had plans for him...and they would not be in his favor.

  • ...
10
 52
 1,086

Part II: Chapter 9

Chapter 9: Revelation

After they left Manehattan and returned home, they formulated a plan for the wedding. Determining whom to throw it with wasn’t difficult whatsoever, however, it was when that had the two stymied.

“Considering the fact that you’ll soon be giving birth, we should have it before then.” Emerald suggested, lounging out on the couch with Fluttershy as they went through some of Emeralds old paperwork from when he lived in Manehattan. The box of papers was taking up too much room and Fluttershy asked him to go through it, which is what they were both doing now.

“I suppose that makes sense," She replied, giving a paper she’d just pulled out and odd stare before tossing it in the trash bin beside them. “But that would mean we’d have to explain my pregnancy.”

Emerald tossed a paper away without even looking at it. “Um, why? Won’t they see pretty soon, at least, in the next few months, the evidence without our explanation? I’d prefer to just let them figure it out on their own. They’re pretty good at it.”

“That’s true.” She rubbed her stomach, smiling gladly.

Emerald leaned over and put his hoof on her stomach next to hers, and she looked up at him. “All I can say, is it’s going to be a busy year.” He stopped and thought for a second. “Next year.”

She hugged him. “I’m so happy.”

Emerald pulled away, digging in the box. “I know. But let’s get back to this before we have a repeat of the last time we got distracted during home improvement.”

She scratched the back of her head, blushing lightly. “Can’t say anything bad about that…”

“Except that we didn’t finish what we started.” And after careful thought, “The cleaning, I meant…”

Somepony knocked on the door.

“Come in!” Fluttershy shouted. The door opened and Twilight, Rainbow Dash and Applejack came waltzing in.

“Well how y’all doin’? How was the trip?” Applejack in a friendly tone.

“Swell.” Emerald replied, immediately shoving his head in the box to prevent having to see Rainbow Dash. The events that night at the Wonderbolts show still bothered him, despite having forgiven her.

“That’s good to hear. We were really hoping you guys would have spent a little more time together there, though.” Twilight said, walking up to them.

Emerald jerked his head out of the box, a confused look on his face. “What?”

“Well, ya see, we were anticipatin’ what we can already see happened,” Applejack pointed hoof at the bangle on Fluttershy’s front right leg. “So we could throw y’all a party. But y’all came home early. Somethin’ go wrong?”

Fluttershy looked away, embarrassed. Emerald was, too, but maintained the conversation.

“No, but you guys weren’t supposed to know that I planned on proposing to her…” Emerald said, somewhat disappointed. So much for surprise…

“Ah, we knew it would happen sooner or later. That’s a nice bangle, by the way. Looks like you went all out on it, huh?” Dash folded her arms across her chest.

“Uh, yes…well, that’s not all that important at the moment…” He stuttered.

Fluttershy held her hoof up, allowing the pink butterfly stone to glitter in the sunlight streaming through the window. “That reminds me, how much did you pay for this? You never did tell me.”

Emeralds eyes darted back and forth between his friends and Fluttershy. “It was, well…um…1000 bits.” The number he said so quietly they didn’t understand him.

“What was that?” Twilight asked, rubbing her ear.

“It was…1000 bits.”

They all shouted, surprised.

“Where in Equestria did you get the money for that?” Twilight exclaimed, shocked.

“Forget that!” Dash said. “Why did you buy something so expensive? Wouldn’t a regular bangle have done the job just the same?”

Fluttershy put a hoof on Emeralds shoulder, giving him a consoling look. “It was a thoughtful gesture, but if I’m not mistaken, you had money saved up in your savings. You told me it was for emergencies…but, was this what it was for?”

Emerald gulped and nodded.

“Wow, secret after secret revealed. What’s next?” Applejack noted, looking around at them. Emerald and Fluttershy got off the couch and stood with the others.

“Nothing,” Emerald said quickly, making sure Rainbow Dash knew it was more directed towards her than anypony else. “Did you guys not finish setting up the party you had planned for us?”

“Nah, but Pinkie can throw a party on a whim, so I’m sure we could jus’ head on over there an’ she’ll surely hook y’all up.” Applejack said, already heading out.

Fluttershy and Emerald looked back behind them at the box on the floor.

“You know, we should definitely finish this – “

“Screw this, let’s go.” Emerald cut her off.

“Okay, good idea.” Fluttershy followed them all outside.

The evening was young, so the sun was low on the horizon, already changing from yellow to orange, and it was much colder, cold enough to warrant the use of scarves and coats, which everypony was wearing. Fluttershy had her favorite sweater and ear muffs on, whereas Emerald wore his only jacket, the one he’d owned for years: his black leather blazer.

Fluttershy frowned at it. “You really should get something different to wear when it’s cold. You look…bad with that one, to say the least.”

He glanced down at it, pulling it closed. “How so?” They were walking down to Sugarcube Corner, hoping Pinkie was there to initiate the party they were not even finished setting up. If anypony could pull it off, it was her.

Fluttershy fell back from the others, who didn’t seem to notice, as they were chatting excitedly. “I just think that it looks more like something…you know…that, um, well…you-know-who would wear.”

Emerald stopped dead in his tracks. His eyes were wide, surprised at her comparison. Fluttershy stopped as well, concerned she may have crossed some sort of line. Emerald took the jacket off and tossed it into the nearby bushes, then nonchalantly continued walking, as if nothing happened. Fluttershy joined him, still concerned, but now also confused.

“Anyway, what’s this party gonna be like? Crazy? I like crazy.” Emerald said, pretending nothing happened.

“I’m not sure…aren’t you cold?” She asked, shivering even though she was wearing her sweater.

He shook his head. “Nah, we’ll be at Sugarcube corner soon, anyway. I’ll be fine.” He looked up at the sky, which was growing increasingly overcast from the east. “You think we should tell them about…you being, um, pregnant? It wouldn’t be hard.”

Fluttershy followed his gaze to the clouds. “I’m not sure. I kind of don’t want to, actually. Part of me wants them to figure it out on their own. You know, for effect?”

“I guess you’re right. After all, they guessed right on me proposing to you, which was disappointing, but then again, it was kind of obvious. Me and you, alone in the Big City, all sorts of stuff you like doing, nothing I liked?” He froze, seeing how he’d just hurt her feelings. “Damn, I didn’t mean it like that. I meant, things I like doing, as in, my preferences…”

Fluttershy still looked hurt. “You didn’t want to go to all those things with me?”

“That’s not what I’m saying!” He said, panicking. “I was just doing all the things I knew you like doing. I was trying to focus on you and not me. I enjoyed everything we did, I didn’t mean that I don’t like what you like.”

She pouted. “I think maybe you should word things a little better next time…”

Emerald sighed, feeling guilty. He hugged her, and at first she didn’t do it back, but it wasn’t long before she did. “I’m sorry. I have a habit of wording things in a way that’s offensive.”

“It’s okay. I forgive you.”

The others fell back with them. “Hey, y’all, Pinkie Pie just walked in, we just seen her go in.” Applejack reported.

“Great. Me and Fluttershy will be in there in just a few moments. You all go on ahead.” Emerald told them, still holding her.

“Okay then.” They left the two of them behind and headed in. Fluttershy and Emerald stayed outside, in front of the door.

“Why are we staying out here?” She asked, looking around.

Emerald sat down, and she did the same after he patted the ground next to him. After a few seconds of silence, he spoke. “Fluttershy, somethings been bothering me. And I haven’t told you out of my own fears. I think that it’ll come out today, at this party, and it won’t come from me, so you’ll take it wrong. I figured I might as well let you know what it is before somepony else does.”

Fluttershy leaned closer, as he was talking so quietly, so gently. “What do you mean?”

Emerald took a deep breath. “There’s something I have to tell you.”

Fluttershy’s demeanor changed instantly. She seemed worried. “W-what do you mean? Are you…seeing somepony else? Are you l-leaving me?”

“What? No! Hell no! I just,” He sighed once again, trying to make sure he worded things right this time. “Something happened at the Wonderbolts show. I told you something did, but I never told you what, and it’s been bothering me ever since, so I think I should tell you.”

Fluttershy seemed relieved as she wrapped her hooves around his waist in a tight embrace. For a moment, Emerald couldn’t speak. He didn’t want to ruin the moment, feeling her holding him.

“It’s something I’m not proud of,” He went on. “But it happened, so I think you should know.”

“Whatever it is, it won’t affect the way I feel about you.” She said, still holding him.

“I hope so.” He took another deep breath, growing nervous. “Fluttershy, I – “

The door behind them swung open, and Pinkie Pie came barreling out. “Hey guys! You should totally come in! This party’s gonna be nothing without our two special guests. Come on in, the party’s fine!” She started shoving them inside.

“Pinkie, wait! We were talking!” Emerald protested, annoyed.

The whole place was loaded with ponies from all over town. Everything was set up, including drinks, music, food, party décor and other stuff. “How in the name of Princess Celestia did everypony get in here? We were sitting at the front door!”

Fluttershy was already heading out into the party, and Emerald decided to just find a moment to tell her here, so he followed her. The two of them were confronted by Rarity, who looked rather well dressed for such an occasion.

“Well, if it isn’t the soon-to-be Mister and Misses? How are you two doing on this splendid day? How was Manehattan? Oh, was Coco Pommel doing well? How is her career going?” Rarity shot the questions all too quickly, excited for them, and apparently for the fact that they went to Manehattan.

“It was great. We, uh, did plenty of things. Fun things.” Emerald replied, wishing he could share her enthusiasm. “But I have no idea about Coco. We didn’t see or hear about her. Sorry.”

“That’s quite alright, dear. You two must be sooo excited to be getting married, right? I can only imagine the joy you’re experiencing. I have to say, I’m a bit jealous. I had no idea you would be getting interested in a stallion so quickly.” She said, talking more to Fluttershy.

She rubbed her arm shyly. “Yeah… I guess he does have a way with words…”

“Yeah, sometimes good, sometimes bad…” Emerald said under his breath.

Rarity finished her drink. “Well, I hope you two get married real soon. I have some gorgeous designs in mind for your outfits.”

“That sounds lovely,” Fluttershy said, grabbing herself and Emerald a cup of the punch off the table they were standing near. Emerald took his and polished it off, causing the other two to give him strange looks.

“Um, Emerald, dear, is something wrong? Is something bothering you?” Rarity asked, looking concerned for her friend.

Emerald cleared his throat. “Yes, I really need to speak to Fluttershy. In private.”

Rarity looked surprised by his boldness, but replied, “Okay, well, it was good talking to you two.”

Emerald led Fluttershy away without a word. He brought her to the kitchen, where they were alone.

“Emerald, what is the matter with you? That was rude!” Fluttershy admonished him.

“Yes, well, see, I’ve been trying to tell you something, but others keep getting in the way.” He replied, as if that was any reason to be acting the way he was.

She shook her head. “That’s not a good enough reason to act like that to them. I want to be out there, enjoying the party with you. Tell me what’s on your mind later, okay? I’ll be more than happy to listen.”

“Please, Fluttershy…I have to tell you now before – “ She put a hoof over his mouth.

“Tell me later, okay sweetie?” Then she smiled, turning away and going back out into the party.

He looked down at the floor. “There might not be later…” Then he followed her out.

The party had picked up, and now everypony was having too much fun, it appeared. It was getting messy, as drinks, food, and party streamers layered the floor. Emerald followed her into the crowd, where they ran into Pinkie, Twilight and Rainbow Dash.

“Hey guys, enjoying the party? I worked hard on it. Isn’t it sooo cool? I just love the cake, too! Mrs. Cake made it specially for this party! It’s got chocolate, and icing, and red velvet – “

“It’s wonderful,” Emerald cut her off.

“Emerald.” Fluttershy gave him her best motherly look.

“Sorry.”

Rainbow Dash had this strangely unhappy look on her face, not making eye contact with him or Fluttershy, which worried him.

Twilight chuckled. “You two having fun? Sorry it’s not like we planned, you guys caught us off guard, coming home a day early.”

“Oh, it’s still a great party. I love it.” Fluttershy said, her usual cheery attitude returning. “I’m just trying to keep Emerald out of trouble for now.” She gave him the look again, in which he smiled innocently to.

“Looks like you got him under control.” Pinkie said with laugh.

Fluttershy hugged Emerald again, like she did outside. “But I wouldn’t change who he is for the world. He’s the most handsome, honest, faithful stallion I’ve ever met.”

And that’s when Rainbow dash, who’d been silent the whole time, lost it. “Me and Emerald kissed!” She yelled, loud enough to overcome the music, which promptly stopped. Everypony within a few feet had their mouths wide open. Emerald closed his eyes for a second, hoping that when he opened them, this would be a dream. He opened his eyes…and it wasn’t.

Fluttershy pulled away from Emerald, narrowing her eyes at him. “What?”