• Published 4th May 2015
  • 1,086 Views, 52 Comments

Emerald Chronicles - Dandereshy



Emerald Shield has had enough of Manehattan and all else it had to offer. In a last effort attempt to rid himself of all his past burdens, he moves to Ponyville. But fate had plans for him...and they would not be in his favor.

  • ...
10
 52
 1,086

Chapter 2(Revised)

Chapter 2

"Could you possibly be wanting something bigger?" The realtor asked him hopefully. After he'd seen Emerald's large amount of bits, he'd grown greedy, offering more and more expensive places in Ponyville.

"No, I like this one, actually. I don't need anything too big," Emerald said, admiring the simplicity of the medium-sized home. The homes and apartments in Manehattan were nothing compared to the homes he'd seen here in Ponyville. Out there it seemed that some ponies tried too hard to make them livable and nice at the same time, not caring about having sufficient furniture or atmosphere unless they were rich, but to no avail.

The realtor kept trying. "Surely a stallion of your caliber deserves a little more elegant than this! I have another you can see."

Emerald tossed a bag containing 1000 bits in front of the startled realtor. "I'm quite fine with this one, thank you."

The realtor smiled widely. "Of course you are. And so am I. Enjoy!" He left without another word.

The home was close to the edge of town, and even though he wanted to be far from large numbers of ponies, he couldn't care less at the moment. The home was great for a bargain price.

He also had to be sure that Black Flame did not know he was here, as consequences would surely ensue.

He brought all of his things to the bedroom, where he personalized it to the best of his ability, until the movers got his other stuff there.

After he checked out the house more closely, he left to do a little bit of town exploration and deposit his bits. It wasn't safe to carry the large amount of bits he had. Even though he hadn't been able to get a job, when his father Sapphire Shield died a few weeks ago, he was the inheritor. He'd been living off the money ever since.

He left the house and stood out front, looking around curiously. Everypony was just minding their own business. Emerald marveled at this. He was so used to the nosy, stuck-up wannabes in Manehattan. This was incredible. Maybe he could live here without any trouble.

Emerald walked toward the few stores lined up downtown. It was early afternoon, so a lot of ponies were out eating lunch or just finishing.

He decided to go check out the few businesses, but first he went and deposited what bits he didn't need.

He kept about a hundred and deposited ten thousand.

"Wealthy, are we?" The pony behind him commented.

"No," Emerald said truthfully. Loneliness is not wealth, no matter how much money you have, he thought unhappily.

He left and went to the Ice Cream Shop. It was hot outside, and in turn a lot of ponies were at the shop getting ice cream to cool down.

Emerald sighed and got in the line.

"But I don't want dark chocolate, I wanna banana split!" Applebloom complained to Applejack, who tried to reason with her.

"No, that banana split there is jus' too darn expensive. I'm gettin' the dark chocolate cone, too."

Applebloom pouted. "But you asked me what I wanted!"

"I know. And I'm regretting it," Applejack mumbled.

"It's only ten bits! Come on!"

The line moved forward a few spaces and they were at the counter.

"Can I help you?" The ice cream pony asked cheerily.

Emerald kept his distance, but at the same time listened to Applejack and Applebloom argue.

"Ten bits? Well skin me alive. That's twice as much as a dark chocolate, I can't afford that."

Applebloom looked hurt. "You said you had fifteen bits."

"I did, but we got other stuff to buy with that, girl. I can't jus' spend it all on ice cream. Jus' get a darn chocolate cone. Besides, ya' said ya' like 'em."

"Can you please make your decision. I have customers waiting," The cashier said, getting annoyed.

"I'll get ya' an ice cream cone," Applejack told her little sister.

"Uh…that won't be necessary," Emerald interrupted her. She glanced at him curiously.

Emerald dug out five bits and gave them to her.

She took them, looking surprised. "That's awfully nice of you, stranger. But ya' don't have to help."

Emerald waved his hoof dismissively. "That's okay. I've got plenty of that. Just get your, um, I assume this is your little sister?"

Applejack nodded. "She's my little sis, yeah."

"Well get the girl a banana split," Emerald said with a smile.

"Thanks, mister! It's 'bout time somepony came to their senses," Applebloom said, staring at the ice cream through the glass display and drooling.

"Are you quite ready to order yet?" The ice cream pony demanded, impatient.

"Yeah, yeah. Get us a dark chocolate ice cream and a banana split," Applejack said, handing her the bits.

"It's about time," the salespony groused, taking the bits and giving them their ice cream.

Applejack and Applebloom both turned to Emerald. "If you ever need help with anything, just ask me." Applejack told him.

Emerald scratched the back of his head. "Well, I am new to Ponyville…"

"Great!" Applejack exclaimed. "My name's Applejack, this here is my lil' sis', Applebloom, an' later I'll introduce ya to my friends. We'll help you get to know Ponyville. Ya busy tonight?"

Odd question. "Uh…yes, I suppose. Why do you ask?"

"Take your conversation elsewhere, please," the pony behind the counter said, giving them a dirty look.

Applejack returned the same look. "Come by the Spiral Tower, it's the tallest thing in Ponyville besides the town hall, and I'll come get ya and bring ya over to my friend Twilight's house. That's where all my friends will be. We'll help ya out."

Emerald nodded. "Well, thank you. I will do that."

"That's great," she looked over at Applebloom, who was hungrily devouring her ice cream. "Say thanks to…"

"Emerald," he said.

"…Emerald for getting ya the ice cream."

Applebloom gave him a grin full of chocolate. "Thanks!"

Applejack gave him an embarrassed smile. "Ha ha ha. She does that sometimes," she took Applebloom by the hoof and led her to the front doors. "We taught ya better than that, Applebloom. That was embarrassin'. You'll be lucky I don't tell Granny Smith 'bout this..."

"Sorry."

"Are you gonna order or stand there?" the colt behind Emerald demanded.

Emerald stepped up to the counter. "I'll have a dark chocolate please."


Black Flame was furious.

The stallion he specifically instructed to keep a close eye on Emerald had no idea where he was.

After Black Flame had gone to Emerald's apartment and discovered that nopony lived there, he'd immediately gone back to his home and called his spy, Sly Spy, over.

"When did you last check on his position?" Black Flame demanded, the shadowy-figured pony trying to keep his temper in check.

The red-and-white-colored stallion stood nervously before his boss, who clearly was not amused. "Um…Well earlier, I noticed he was packing his stuff up, but I didn't think anything of it."

Black Flame exploded. "You imbecile! Nopony just packs up their stuff for no reason!" As was his name, Black Flame utilized his special ability to frighten Sly by throwing a black ball of fire into the nearest wall with his broken horn, singeing it.

Sly Spy cringed. "Well, maybe he just moved into another part of the city."

"Damn it Sly, there's millions of ponies in Manehattan! He could be anywhere and I'd never find out!"

"Well sorry, boss, but I got hungry. You don't sit out there all day watching his house."

"WHAT did you just say?" He got in Sly's face. "That's what I pay you to do, you moron! To watch him no matter what!" He lit an orb of dark fire and prepared to use it to kill Sly, but held back for a little more information. "Did you go in the apartment when you found out he left?"

Sly trembled before his boss. "Yes. He left a few things there."

Black Flame turned away and walked a few feet, facing the door. "Unfortunately, I don't condone mistakes, and you have made a fatal one." He turned and blasted Sly in the face with a ball of fire. He collapsed on the floor, unmoving.

Black Flame glared down at Sly. "If you want something done, you have to do it yourself."

He left for the apartment Emerald abandoned.

Author's Note:

Edited for the fifth time...