• Published 27th May 2015
  • 8,924 Views, 250 Comments

I am the King of Slumberland; Little Nemo - Flutters Is Shy



I was torn from my world of absolutes and imprissoned in a land of dreams. Pony dreams. I've taken them as my own, and now I work to protect their dreams. But recently, the one who had the job before me came back...

  • ...
25
 250
 8,924

Chapter 5- Evasion

Luna tiredly rubbed at her brow, going over the seventh letter Twilight had sent her that morning. The picture she had enclosed once more showed a random foal dissimilar from the rest, either in coloration or even gender. It seems Twilight had readily forgotten how Luna was keen on retrieving her son.

Luna sighed, as yet another wisp of smoke wound its way through the open window to coalesce into a scroll in front of her face. She had felt such levity upon receiving the first one. And the second one. By the third she was growing skeptical.

This new letter held similar disappointment, showing the scared face of a young pegasi filly as she was held tightly within a lavender tinged field of magic.

Luna let loose another sigh, bowing her head in resignation. She had to go find her sister. Regardless of how little she had slept. The sooner she could figure out the dragon fire 'postage' spell, the sooner she could send a note back to Twilight and let her know to stop abducting random foals.



I finished my second helping of god sent goodness, the syrup of one bite escaping from my mouth and dribbling down my chin. Didn't mean I let it go to waste, but it momentarily eluded me.

Apple pie. I don't know why it doesn't taste like this in the dream realm, I am going to have to bring up some very serious concerns with the protector. It is... simply a divine foodstuff. Anyone who could make a pie taste like this could automatically call me their slave, give me a collar, dress me up in a maids outfit for all I damn well cared.

As long as they kept the apple pies coming...

"Ahem," I cleared my throat, gingerly sipping from cup that was offered me initially. "I know you're enjoying yourself back there, but I wasn't planning on having all of this all that long."

Old Crabapple momentarily paused in her efforts, a comb clutched in her mouth. After forcing me to bathe -didn't take them that much 'forcing', I had wanted to in the first place.- I had been welcomed down to breakfast. The old mare had a spring in her step I hadn't seen yesterday, it was almost like twenty years had just sloughed themselves off of her. My scepter definitely did its work.

She had taken to dragging a comb through my mane and tail almost as soon as I had sat down, shifting through the still sodden mess without abandon. It stopped me from freely talking with her, but oh well. I had already taken up a room of their house and tunneled my way through three of the pies they offered me, I might as well let her indulge whatever 'motherly' hormones she still had trickling up in her wrinkled cabasa. If she wanted to comb my mane, fine. Meant I didn't have to do it. And it wasn't like I was going to have it this long, for long.

"Ye' sayin' yer thinkin' o' choppin' this beautiful hair off?" she snickered, spitting the comb out into a hoof. "My, when I was but a wee lil' filly I wouldda killed fer a mane like this."

"Wanna trade?" I joked, swallowing another bite of pie, "I've always wondered what I'd look like in that shade..."

"Bah," she muttered, grabbing the comb again. I don't think she thought that idea was all too hot. Not that I was starting to warm up to this body or anything, but I didn't think her shade of mane would match all that well with me...

"So, Mr. Braeburn," I started, turning towards my other benefactor. "I didn't really get a chance to ask yesterday, such as I was occupied with... other things. Thank you once again for the food. It was, and this is, quite delightful to the palate. I couldn't have asked for a more scrumptious way to break my thousand year fast."

The stallion nodded carefully, eyeing me with a worried grin. Wasn't I cute enough to put his worries at ease? One would think that an alicorn foal wouldn't scare a guy so badly. Or maybe he was unnaturally perceptive. Still, I actually wanted the guy to like me. I'd have to find some way to make it up to him.

"As I was saying," I continued, seeing as he didn't seem to want to say anything for fear of angering me. "Thank you. For your assistance , and hospitality."

"As if we would turn away an alicorn," Braeburn hurriedly stated.

"Regardless," I continued once more, "I still appreciate your hospitality. You could have very well assumed the worst of me, but you showed me kindness instead. In all the excitement yesterday however, it occurs to me I never properly introduced myself. And although I know your name from your mother, I haven't quite allowed you to introduce yourself either..."

He pondered my words, seeming to mull them over as one would chew a slice of apple pie. Speaking of, mine was almost gone. I wonder if... they would let me have another one if I asked? Nicely?

"Well as ah figure, ya don't really need to go to any trouble," he meekly posited.

"Nonsense, I wouldn't dream of it," I replied. His mother was right, he really needed to grow a backbone. I know I wasn't really helping it any, but perhaps I could help him with that in the future. If I stuck around for that long, any way.

"To you, my gracious hosts," I said, bowing slightly. The old mare was doing something with my hair, even though she had set down the brush beside me, so it was kinda hard to bow. Much less be able to see what the heck she was doing. "I thank thee, Braeburn and Crabapple. I am... was Princess Lunas' temporary replacement, Little Nemo. King of Slumberland. Although I guess Slumberland is rather destitute as of late... I suppose the most accurate title would be something along the lines of... 'Scion of Dreams' or something. Tis a pleasure to meet you. I see you, Apples. May that others see you as clearly."

"My, how fancy," Crabapple commented cheerily, finishing up behind me. Turning my head to look at her, I finally realized what she had been doing. She had been braiding my hair. It still hung heavy from my head, but she had... reduced its length considerably by doubling it up as she had.

Well wasn't I pretty. Just a regular old Rapunzel, with this stupid long ass hair. Which was an odd statement, seeing as Donkeys usually wore their tails and manes short. It was a cultural thing, a pair of donkey heroes of old named 'Jack' and 'Jenny' were well known to have kept theirs short as if in repentance. Said it was to curb the sin of their vanity, and to show others that they wore their strength proudly.

It was before my time. I could easily assume they were real donkeys, but they could have just as easily been a warning fable that transformed into legend.

I digress.

"My speech, or my hair?" I remarked, as she hooked it over my left wing. It was still long enough that it draped down to drag along the floor, but thankfully was shorter than it had been. "I'll admit it's pretty, but again, I don't intend on keeping this for long. It will be much more manageable once it gets cut down."

"Eh," she replied, shifting to better reach my tail. She wasn't easily shaken, that's for sure. I'd let her indulge herself for the time being. Couldn't hurt anything. "As if ah'd let you get rid of this bee aye yooootiful mop of hair..."

"As if you could stop me," I cheerfully responded, tilting my head and giving her a wide smile.

"Wanna bet, princeling?" she retorted cheekily, not missing a beat. Braeburn looked like he was going to have a conniption, the poor guy.

"King, actually. But that title doesn't really apply to me anymore, so perhaps we should just stick to 'Scion'? Prince doesn't really fit me. Not even a little, regardless of the wings. You understand, yes?"

"Oh, but 'scion's' jes such a clumsy word, don't ya agree?" Toss, bend, ply, her hooves moved fairly well considering her age. Looked like she had done this activity a fair amount in her past years.

"Yes, I suppose. It doesn't quite roll off the tongue as one would like, does it?" I mused, trying to ignore the alien feelings racing up my spine. It was one thing feeling weight tugging down on my tail as I dragged around half the forest, it was quite another feeling this mares careful ministrations. "Perhaps I should simply stick with 'Nemo' as of currently..."

"Whatever ya say, prince," she sassed, rolling the stiffness out of her shoulder before she continued. "Lil Burny never had the mane for it. His sis on the other hoof... Oh ah'm sure you'd love her princeling, she's jes a doll!"

Again with the 'prince' nickname. I'd be lucky if I could steer her towards a different one by this point. She knew full well it got under my skin, she had probably felt me tense up while she was messing with my hair. Couldn't really fault her for it though, with my scepters healing she was feeling better than she had in years, it was little wonder she was feeling playful. Pair that with her base personality, and I had a terror on my hands. Hooves. Whatever.

"What is her name, if it isn't too impudent of me to ask?" I prompted. If I didn't respond to the 'prince' comment she might get bored of it. She seemed smart, though. Probably wouldn't be fooled.

"Don't chu worry yer pretty little head dearie, nopony kin learn nothing iffin' they don't open their mouth to ask questions. Her names Cherry Jubilee, an' she actually runs a plantation o'er in Dodge Junction... ah could introduce ya, iffin yer interested in older mares," she suggested, laughter dancing in her eyes.

"If she's any bit as enchanting as you, I might just have to take you up on that offer," I stated, playing along. I wiggled my eyebrows for extra measure, watching as her son blanched at my acting performance.



"What is the meaning of this?!?" Luna demanded, her muzzle nearly touching her sisters'. Her emotions boiled under her skin, barely contained as is.

"Sister," Celestia started, trying to curb her sisters wrath.

"You told her to stop! Don't even try to deny it! I can understand telling her to lower her enthusiasm a little, but why did you instruct her to keep word of mine son unspoken?! If none know of mine plight, I may lose him! Again! I need everypony with ears to know of mine son, if one sees him and doesn't know-"

"Then they cannot use him for their own goals," Celestia interrupted.

Lunas' head jerked in surprise, staring at her sister in bewilderment. Just as she was about to voice her confusion, Celestia continued in a low voice.

"I am not naive figurehead those outside of Equestria believe me to be, sister. While I dearly love my little ponies and expect the world of them..." she let out a low sigh, her frown deepening. "I know full well that there are bad apples. One does not define the orchard, but the rotten ones remain regardless of how they look. Luna... listen to me carefully, please." Celestia took in a slow breath of air, finding it harder to look her sister in the eye by the second.

"There have been... less than civilized groups over the years. I won't waste my breath defending them with aimless optimism. Some ponies... regardless of their spoken motives, some ponies just want to watch our world burn," she stated coldly. "One such group was formed shortly after you were banished, my sister. They called themselves the 'True Children of the Nightmare', and claimed to hail to the call of Nightmare Moon."

Luna stiffened at her sisters words. She knew full well that there were ponies who were bent in the mind, but to follow the Nightmare? For any reason? Deplorable.

"Over the years, I've stamped out their cult. Time and time again I thought my task finished. Repeatedly I was proven... wrong. In rural burgs and even in the supposed safety of the Canterlot elite they cropped up, time after time. I crushed their cult once more less than fifty years ago... but to assume they are truly gone would likely prove me a fool once more. The things they've done... the atrocities they've committed have all been claimed to been in order to bring back Nightmare Moon. They believed that by sacrificing innocent ponies in horrid arcane rituals they could simply resurrect her. I have no doubts in my mind that if they were to learn of your progeny... a foal is already in enough danger, wandering freely without their mother."

Celestia paused, taking a moment to sweep her wing over her sister and draw her into a tight hug. Luna sank into her side, nuzzling her sister as she surrendered to her embrace.

"I hope it is naught more than baseless conjecture. I pray that my fears will remain unfounded, but if they are still active as I suspect... then we cannot allow even rumor of your son to reach their ears. If one of less than respectable motive lays hooves on your son before we are able to find him..." Celestia gave Luna a squeeze, draping her head over her sisters. "I would never be able to forgive myself. We will find your son my sister, but we must be discreet in our endeavors. I have already dispatched my most trusted agents across Equestria, they will find him. Please Luna... have faith."

Luna didn't reply, slowly extricating herself from her sisters embrace. She finally gave her a curt nod, smiling slightly as she did so.

"All right, sister. I trust you."



Curly Potato reviewed the missive once more, this being the seventh time he had read it over. Its contents were simple enough to understand, a general description of a target he was supposed to find. A foal. Alicorn.

Interesting.

There was no further information on the foal itself beside his colors, his 'higher ups' didn't even have a clue as to his possible whereabouts. They seemed to have mobilized the entire network to deal with this matter.

Again, interesting.

Curly Potato had been an agent of the crown for nearly thirty years now, and had yet to fail on assignment. That being said, he felt his accomplishments were far overshadowed by another agent, by the name of Sweetie Drops. She had been enlisted for as long as he had, yet her service record was nearly twice as long as his own. Bugbears, trolls, rogue gryphons, and other assorted enemies of the crown too long to list.

It incensed Curly Potato to no end, driving him ever on to push himself as far as he could. Every assignment he took he went full tilt, giving them everything he possibly could. Yet Celestia kept him in reserve when she could.

If he was never allowed to progress, how could he possibly show them how great he could be? But this... this was different. An alicorn. An alicorn foal. Popping up right after Princess Luna had come back, the timing was too perfect to be coincidence. So the foal was Princess Lunas'. Somehow. For all he knew she had the colt while on the moon.

Somehow.

Curly Potato shook his head, before he took the note and popped it in his mouth. Chewing slowly to properly mash the paper into pulp, he eventually swallowed. Missive destroyed. Not as thorough as simply burning it to ash, but he didn't want to attract attention.

He scoffed, his disappointment impossible to hide. Now he was supposed to go check out some nowhere hick town, as if the foal would be found in such a rural location. It was a waste of his time. The only reason he had been given this direction was because he had the bad fortune to be located in the area.

Whatever. He'd check out this hick town, 'Appleloosa', and in record time to boot. Once he was done he'd search elsewhere. He had been given leave to continue the search as he saw fit after he had thoroughly checked out the town and the surrounding area. The foal was stated to have been wandering inside the Everfree forest, but Appleloosa was simply too far for a foal to have walked. Not from where the note say he started.

It was a waste of time, but he'd continue and finish as quickly as he could. Then the search would truly begin.

Curly Potato smiled.

They would all see just how great he was.



I woke back up suddenly, pitching forward as I tried to regain my balance. I had fallen asleep as I was walking, but thankfully it seems I had settled into a sitting position. I don't know how, but that didn't really matter. I hadn't even managed anything of importance while my body slept, there had been no nightmares to dispel and neither Genius or Flip had been present in Slumberland. I had flitted around the dream realm, trying to find a sleeping mind within Appleloosa to gain more information from, but the only mind I was able to find was that of a drunkard.

Suffering Succotash. A many times repeat customer to the establishment known as the 'Salt Lick', he even dreamed about getting drunk. His preferred method appeared to be via salt instead of drink. Regardless, the results of his intoxication were the same.

He was... annoying to try and talk to. Didn't believe I was actually there, and just ignored me mostly. I learned very little from him.

"Hey, where'd the stick thingy go?" I heard Mrs Crabapples voice say. "Oh, you're up. Welcome back to the land of the living. Huh, didn't even notice you take yer stick back," she muttered, and I heard something similar come from Braeburn.

I didn't 'take back' my scepter. I just woke up with it on my back. Interesting. If they had removed it from my person while I slept -supposedly to make myself more comfortable- then it seems I had another new ability I could add to the list.

My scepter and key were as pieces of my soul. They may have appeared now as tangible objects in the waking realm, but in truth they were less physical than they appeared. If I was right, they would disperse once I fell asleep, returning with me to the dream realm. And then they would simply come back with me once I woke back up.

I assumed. I would have to experiment. All in due time.

"Sorry," I apologized, letting out a short yawn. "Was I out long?"

"Naw, jes a little power nap," Braeburn responded.

"Jes enough time fer me tah go ahead and check if Long Coif was in. She was, we had a bit of a gabber," Crabapple stated in a bored tone, as if it wasn't all that interesting of a topic.

I had convinced Crabapple to show me around town, maybe make the focus of our trip a barbershop. An old pair of saddlebags that used to belong to Braeburn when he was a foal settled over my wings, hiding them from sight.

I didn't want to make a scene, after all. I'd had a stroke of luck when it came to Crabapple and her son, while her son was all jittery and made a fuss of me the old mare treated me like an old friend.

Hiding my horn would have been much more arduous task than simply putting something over my wings. Thankfully the old mare had had just the thing I needed in such a situation. I was really going to have to start keeping tabs on how much I owed her. On top of the apple pies. I'd have to keep adding to that list. Especially for more apple pies. I could go for another one right now, actually. Even though I don't think I could eat another bite... I think I could stand it if it was apple pie.

I digress. While my wings looked larger than other pegasi -specifically those of my 'physical' age, by comparison mine looked large and goofy,- with a couple well placed cuts the saddlebags fit comfortably enough.

It wasn't that I was trying to hide persay. I was worried about Celestia and the Protector, to be honest. Specifically, I didn't want them to think I was trying to take over their world or something. I only existed in the dream world before, and in the Protectors stead I basically took over.

I gave her a guided tour around my bucking city, for stars sake. I showed her what I did with her realm in her absence. 'Ha, while you were gone I redecorated.' I can't even begin to think about what thoughts went through her head at that...

So I couldn't just go around flaunting my current form. If they took offense and thought I was trying to insult them, they might take drastic measures in order to 'curb my behavior'. Might even try to shut me back up in the dream realm. No offense to the place I had called home for the last few hundred years, but even with all the aches and pains and loss of control there was one thing I definitely wouldn't give up any time soon.

...They just don't taste as good in the dream realm...

So I'd find some way to ingratiate myself to them, before they even knew it was me. That way, once they finally learned about me and knew in full, they'd already have a good opinion of me.

The easiest way I could make a name for myself would be as a healer. I could still reliably use my scepter to heal, and I could feasibly make myself an irremovable face. I'd have to charge for my services, that much was unavoidable. But I could go the route of requiring more bits from those with deeper pockets, or those with less need than others. I had no desire for some noble with delusions of grandeur trying to monopolize me or my powers, for any reason.

"So, this 'Long Coif' is a barber?" I asked, trying to distract my thoughts.

"Aye, that she is," Crabbleabbleabbleabbleabble affirmed, nodding as she did so. Braeburn stayed silent, apparently not having anything to say on the current subject. "Now, you aint got no prejiiidusses 'gainst no non ponies, do ye?"

I thought on her words for a couple seconds, trying to figure out her line of questioning. After a few seconds it finally clicked, "Oh! No, no no no, I don't hold any discrimination towards non pony species. So I take that to mean that this Coif madame is of some species... probably one who possesses hands?"

"Long Coif has paws, yes." I heard from in front of me, and I whipped my head around to properly take in her appearance. She was a diamond dog... no, on further inspection, she was actually a female cousin species to the diamond dogs. A thunder cat. While similar in appearance to the average body type of a diamond dog, thunder cats tended to be much more lithe, and were easily distinguished as if trying to compare a normal cat and a dog.

Not that I'd ever say that out loud. That would be rude. And thunder cats while rare, were known for their lightning quick tempers. Even though I wanted to get rid of as much hair as possible, insulting my barber to her face seemed like a very poor decision in regard to my continued lifespan.

The fluff of hair that made up her 'mane' was a deep russet red, which contrasted nicely with a tannish brown that made up the bulk of her coat, all the way down to her eagerly twitching tail.

"Greetings," I started, only to be interrupted by a blandly gesturing paw.

"Words of greeting are not needed, yes. Already has Long Coif been told of your need of Long Coif."

With that she turned right back around, disappearing within the shopfront she had been standing in front of.

"Don't mind her none," Crab Apple stated, letting out a low cough. "She don't care none for how we ponies speak or whatnot. While it can be kinda hard-"

"Worry not for my ears," I cut in, "Her pattern of speech is... interesting. I think that she'll someone I might like..."



Curly Potato cursed the train once more, its uncomfortable seats having left a crick in his neck. Why couldn't that part of the line get a more recent engine? It was part of the main line, but apparently the same engine just chugged back and forth from Dodge Junction to Appleloosa! It was pure madness, for stars sake!

"Welc-HIC-ome tah aaaaaaaappleloosa," came the slurred voice of what Curly could only assume was the town vagrant. He certainly had the salt stains around his muzzle for the part. Why was he talking to him? Did he want bits to fuel his abhorid habit? Well he wouldn't be getting even a half bit from him, no-siree-bob!

"Yes, quite," he hurriedly stated, making to part ways with the unpleasantly fragrant pony.

"Lemme show ya 'round, huh?"

"No, I'm sure I can find my own way thank you," Curly protested, trying to pry the suddenly encircling hoof from his withers.

"Non-HIC-sense!" the inebriated pony stated, dragging him along at a break neck pace Curly would not have thought possible for one so encumbered via toxic substance. "Well I wouldn't be a proper gentlepony iffin I -hic- didn't show newcomers 'round!"

What atrocities had he done to be saddled with such a pony? Wasn't he nice enough? Punishment of this nature should be reserved for those that kick kittens, those that insult their own mothers, those that spit in the general direction of the princess!

Curly let out a strangled moan as the hapless Suffering Succotash drug his quarry onward against its wishes.


"Gaahhhhhh," I let out a pleased sigh, moving my head to and fro. Free from the towering mass of hair, my head felt as light as a feather.

"Is good? Yes. Long Coif is best barber you'll ever meet, so of course is best doo. Yes."

Her patterns of speech were... odd. Manageable, but truly odd.

"Long Coif will just keep this, yes? Will make into wigs, will give you share of profits, yes." She held up the long braid of hair, carefully tucking it onto a shelf. I had no problem with her keeping it, I certainly had no use for it. It did me no good, and I had next to no idea on how to 'make into wigs'. Better to leave that to somepony who knew what they were doing.

"Still, its such a shame tah jes hack it all off," Crab apple groused, giving me a false stink eye.

"Look at it this way," I retorted, "Now you can get a swathe of hair just like it! I'm sure one of Long Coifs wig would look lovely on you."

She snorted, her face contorting with her laugh.

I brushed my hoof through my shortened mane, reveling in the loose feeling it gave me. I picked up a brush that had fallen to the floor, placing it back up on the counter with the mirror. Long coif followed my movements, giving me a bemused look.

"Little pegacorn is weird," Long Coif remarked, "Why not use magic? Yes. Magic is end all be all of unicorn power, yes. Is little pegacorn not be of knowing how to use magic?"

She saw through my disguise! Foiled again! Well, it wasn't that much of a disguise, but still. I put some effort into that, I kinda expected it to last a little while longer.

"Why lookings of surprise? Yes. Is obvious to any with eyes, cracks in between bag and side let Long Coif see clearly little wings poking into bag. Besides, why wear saddlebags when getting hair cut? Yes. Is simple. Obvious to any with brain. Which Long Coif clearly has. Yes."

"Huh. And here I thought I had thought that through better," I groused, rubbing at my chin with my hoof. "As to why I'm not using magic, short story is that I used to be able to, but I recently went through a control shift. Even something as simple a levitation spell eludes me in its entirety, if I don't want to accidentally punch holes in the walls around me."

Long Coif gave me a calculating look, turning her head from side to side. "Does pegacorn know color changing spell? Is good for training control, yes. At least, that what pony friends tell Long Coif. That, and if color spell does go out of control, does not make damage, yes. Win win, as Long Coif says... and as friend Pinkie says."

Pinkie? Could she be talking about the same one I was thinking of? This place was reasonably close to Ponyville, it wasn't out of the question for her to be talking about Pinkie Pie.

"Well... I do know a color shift spell, I think," I muttered, trying to put my thoughts into words. It shouldn't be that hard, right? Change one color to another. And it wasn't like it held the risk that levitation did, if the spell or whatever got away from me, what was the worst it could do? Color more than what I wanted to? Oh well, not like that would actually hurt anything...


Curly Potato groaned to himself, once more unable to loose the overly friendly drunk. The stinking pony had stuck with him throughout the entire town, hounding each hoofstep with an assortment of trivia based around the town and its inhabitants. The most interesting so far was the rumors that a forest monster made of twigs and leaves had crawled out of the forest recently. If anything that passed from this ponies lips could be wholly believed. Curly was suspicious of that 'fact'.

"Then there was that there new foal what kipped off inn middle of the street-"

Curly Potato whirled on the vagrant, his eye close to twitching. The fool knew he was looking for foal, he had listened to him ask near every pony that he had come across, why in blazes had he not mentioned anything about this 'new foal' before?

His stupidity was truly maddening. The sooner he could be done with him, the better.

"Excuse me?"

"Huh wha? -Hic- Oh yeah, you shouldda seenit, lil feller jes pitches over midstride, asleep inn middle of the road! Ole Crabby told me she wuz taking him tah get his mane trimmed, and boy hay did it need it. Long as ever-"

"Did this foal have a coat of purplish tint, with accents of grey, with a mane of lighter blue?" Curly pressured, trying to get to the point. It was a long shot, but if beyond all chances the foal had actually made it this far...

"Ho yeaaaaaah, purple lil feller, sorta," he affirmed, nodding for a couple seconds.

"Well what are you waiting for? Take me to this... 'Long Coifs' place of business post haste!" Curly demanded. If this booze riddled pony wanted to hang around him, he could darn well be useful for once in his life.

"Post? I thought you wanted to go to Long Coifs," he puzzled, eyes unfocused in confusion. "Thats on the other side o' town from the post office, but we kin look in once we done with visiting Long Coif, k?"

Curly Potato almost tore his mane out in frustration. It wasn't actually possible for a pony to be this stupid, was it?

After a short jaunt, Curly found himself within a surprisingly spacious room. Made less comforting by one of the most dangerous creatures in Equestria. A thunder cat. Why the Princess didn't just exile the lot of the mangy felines he didn't know. All they were good for was wrecking stuff, anyway. Unfortunately, it appeared this one was... the business owner. As if a thunder cat would know how to run a business. Without somehow burning it to the ground, at the least.

The other occupants of the ... store, were of no consequence. A stallion, an old biddy of a mare, and a young colt. The colt mighthave been worth his time, but the scrawny saddlebag wearing foal wasn't the right color. Therefor it wasn't important. The most interesting part about the colt was that it was the same coloration as the filthy cat, his mane a dark red while his coat was tannish brown. One could almost mistake them for mother and foal, if but for the fact that all a cat could produce would be yet more mangy cats.

"Uh... hello there... cat." What was the point of showering one of their kind with pleasantries? They wouldn't recognize the gesture for what it was, anyway. "I am looking for a foal. I heard that he was recently within your... 'boutique'? He would have a quite distinctive coloring, with purple coat with highlights of grey, while his mane would be a lighter blue."

The cat looked at him for a couple seconds, before responding. "Little pegacorn was here, yes."

Curly Potato leapt on that, getting as close to the feral creature as he dared. "Where is he now? You must tell me."

The cat screwed her face up, "Purple pegacorn is no longer here."

"I... yes, I'm asking you where he is NOW," Curly intoned, losing his composure.

"How is Long Coif to know? Long Coif cuts hair, does not follow customers out into the street, and chase them round the town, yes."

"But you must have some idea-"

"How would have idea? Is obvious you think Long Coif is just dumb beast, yes. Very rude, little pony. Why tell you anything? Long Coif not have any reason to make your day any easier, yes."

Curly Potato gnashed his teeth in frustration, allowing his temper to boil to the surface. "Listen here you mangy feline, I am here on orders from the crow-"

A sharp crack predated a sharp pain in his rump, right above the dock, Curly leaped in pain, before being caught in midair and roughly shoved through the door to the street outside. Gaining his wits, he looked back to see the cats tail smoking. Of course, how could he forget? They were called thunder cats for a reason...

"And not come back! Yes. Long Coif not tending to business with the rude ponies. Most unpleasant. Anyways, pretty purple pegacorn not here anymore. Yes. Not find him here, so begone!"

Curly potato rubbed his stinging rump, cursing the presence of the flea bitten mongrel. If he had his way... whatever. Furthering altercation here wouldn't do him any good at this point. The foal had been here recently, so he might still be able to catch him if he searched the immediate area!

Author's Note:

Thunder cats. Yeah. I know. But I can't help but giggle like a loon ever time I write it out.

Just finished a chapter for my other story, The Gamer Displaced Equestria, so go give that story a read too!


It really is.

Some people might recognize Long Coifs speaking habits...
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pdv3Zdxck6A
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Uyb8ztLnHDg

deeed22 asks; Question for Nemo: Has their ever been an riot in Dreamland, that wasn't Dream-related?

Well there was the attempted prohibition in the late 400's, that riled up a fair amount of folk. They could still drink in the dream realm, but they always complained that it wasn't the same. I kinda get what they were on about now...

ShadeBlitz asks;

Nemo,

Keep an eye out for Soarin of the Wonderbolts. He might steal your apple pie if you leave it unattended.

I WILL DEFEATHER HIM IF HE SO MUCH AS LOOKS AT MY PIE.

ShadowHunter488 asks; SHOW THIS COMMMENT TO DREW!!!

THANK YOU SOOOOO MUCH FOR LETTING AUTHOR PERSON TYPE THIS OUT! HAVE A SMILE!!! :D :pinkiehappy: :ajsmug: :coolphoto: :twilightsheepish:

He said, and I quote, "So uh... this is that pony thing? Right? Tell 'em I said hi, I guess...' He is just the coolest.

Hard Cider asks;

Dear Little King Nemo, Lord of Slumber Land, Protector of Dreams, Child of The Spider Woman,

Me thinks you should find a way to deal with your mane and tail problem. Perhaps cutting them would help. Or perhaps tying, braiding, anything so they don't drag on the ground.

Ah! Another thing that's of interest. The changelings and how they dream, if they dream at all. When you answered to KiaraGate, hmmm . . . . If there are lower lings, then there must higher ones? Or do you lack the knowledge because changelings do not sleep? I wait for your response, King of Slumber.

A novice Stichomancer and Oneiromancer, Hard Cider

Done, *sighs in content* and done. As to the lings, there are higher lings. The queen lings, the king lings, and the elder lings. If a ling lives to old age, it usually accrues a fair amount of power along the way. As to why I don't know much about them, they don't delve into the dream realm. They know I'm here, and to try to force conflict between themselves and a manifested consciousness on the plane of existence they are only pushing a fraction of themselves upon? They aren't that dumb to force a frontal assault.

Tulip asks; Dear author, any updates soon?

Uh, sure... Here ya go!

As always, leave a question for Little Nemo!