• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 1,480 Views, 78 Comments

The People's Republic of Twilightlicious - GeodesicDragon



Twilight Sparkle has been given control of her very own nation, and now she has to learn how to lead it — while at the same time trying to prevent one of her new neighbours from invading Equestria.

  • ...
3
 78
 1,480

Animal Liberation Front Strikes Again

"So this is your country, Twilight?" Rainbow Dash asked as she looked out of the window at the city below. "Must be cool, being in charge an all, but doesn't it get boring?"

Twilight shrugged. "It can at times," she replied. "But I like to think that I am doing some good for these people, while learning as much as I can about being a true leader."

"Well I for one think that you are doing a splendid job, darling," Rarity said. "Although your office could do with some sprucing up."

"There's no time for that," Raymond said as he walked in. "Another issue has come up, Your Highness, that requires your immediate attention. The increasingly militant Animal Liberation Front struck again last night, freeing dozens of chickens bound for delicious snack packs." He involuntarily licked his lips.

"Chickens? Snack packs?" Fluttershy looked queasy. "Oh, my, that sounds horrible. I hope those chickens are all right."

Raymond shook his head. "They ran onto a nearby highway," he said solemnly. "All of them were killed by passing traffic. Nearly caused a damn pile-up, too."

Twilight shuddered. "Well, send in the representatives." she waved a hoof towards the door.

Raymond nodded and stuck his head out the door and into the corridor, a simple "Come in" being the only thing he said. He was followed back into the room by two women and a man. They all stopped in front of Twilight's desk and bowed before Raymond began to introduce them all.

"Presenting Elaine Li, who is representing the consumers, Louis Han, who is representing those who agree with the actions being undertaken by the ALF and Falala Winters, an economist."

"It's nice to meet you all." Twilight nodded towards the other Element bearers. "These are my friends – Rarity, Pinkie Pie, Applejack, Fluttershy and Rainbow Dash – and they will be sitting in during these discussions. I hope that's all right."

"It's fine by me, Your Highness," Elaine said. "But if I may get to the point: these nuts have got to be stopped. They need to face the fact that people want snack packs, no matter how many innocent chickens need to be sacrificed." She paused. "Besides, chickens would do the same to us if they had the chance."

Louis shook his head. "These Liberationists are highlighting an important issue. Too often, these animals are put through needless cruelty — just to make their flesh taste a little more deliciously succulent. I'm sure we could ban the more horrific abuses without putting too much of a dent in our national obesity figures, couldn't we?" He looked at Twilight hopefully.

"Animals have feelings too!" a voice from outside caught everyone's attention. Twilight got up and walked over to the window to see a long-haired man shouting through a megaphone. "My name is Al McKay, and I demand that you free the animals! Ban meat eating!"

Twilight opened the window. "I'll add it to my list of options." she shouted back. "Thank you very much for your opinion!" She closed the window and returned to her desk, just as Al was suddenly set upon by hungry passers-by.

"Ban meat eating?" Fluttershy smiled. "I like the sound of that."

"But, Fluttershy, you take care of meat-eating animals." Applejack raised an eyebrow at her. "So how can ya say that you think these people oughta give it up?"

Fluttershy looked at Raymond. "Can your animals talk?" she asked.

Raymond looked perplexed. "Uhh... no?"

"Well mine can," Fluttershy said, somewhat smugly. "The animals I feed to my meat eaters died of natural causes, and willingly gave me their permission to use their bodies that way. Can you say that the chickens you slaughter for your 'snack packs' do the same?"

Raymond looked worriedly at Twilight, who shrugged.

"Don't mind her," she said. "Fluttershy is an animal caretaker back home, and she cares deeply about animal welfare." She looked at Fluttershy. "We're yet to hear what Falala has to say — perhaps she has a solution to this whole issue?"

Fluttershy suddenly went timid. "Oh, I'm sorry, I didn't mean to interrupt you." she hid behind her mane. "Please, go ahead."

Falala chuckled. "Thanks," she said. "Look, Princess Twilight, you don't need to take away the people's right to choose. You just need to build the costs of animal suffering into the price. I think that a tax on meat-eating, in proportion to the amount of cruelty involved, would do the trick. Plus, think of the benefit for the national coffers!" She shrugged. "Of course, poor people wouldn't be able to afford meat — but that's just more incentive for them to get a job."

"I think that's a great idea!" Pinkie said. "Because you kill all these poor animals in such nasty ways, the tax on meat would mean the price of the stuff would skyrocket. That means people won't buy it, which means they'll turn vegetarian, which means all the animals can go and live back in the wild!" She noticed the strange looks she was getting. "What? I don't talk about throwing parties all the time, you know." She thought for a moment. "Although I guess I could throw a 'Welcome Back To The Wild' party for the animals..."

She began rattling off ideas to make such a party work, while Twilight rolled her eyes and addressed the representatives. "Thank you for your time," she said. "I will convene my advisors, and they will vote on the best course of action to take."

Elaine, Louis and Falala stood up, bowed in unison, and then left the room. Raymond waved them off, then shut the door.

"Don't forget, Princess," he said. "You still have the option of dismissing this issue entirely."

"I haven't forgotten," Twilight replied. "But I don't think the advisors will go for it." She glanced at her friends. "So, girls, what do you make of Twilightlicious so far?"

"It seems okay," Rainbow Dash said. "But listening to all these people going on and on about stuff is boring."

Twilight sighed. "I know," she said. "But that's how things work around here. These people look up to me to make the decisions which change how they live their lives here."

"It sounds to me, darling, like you need a break." Rarity laid a comforting hoof on Twilight's back. "Come, I saw a spa on my way here — perhaps a massage will do you good."

Twilight smiled. "Lead the way, Rarity," she said. "Come on, girls, let's take a walk around my capital."

"I'll get your bodyguards," Raymond offered.

"It's okay, Raymond," Twilight replied. "My friends and I are more than capable of taking care of ourselves."

"As you wish, Your Highness." Raymond bowed. "Have fun."

Twilight nodded, leading her friends out of the office and into the bustling streets below.

Author's Note:

CORPORATIONS DEMAND POLITICAL SAY - RESULT