• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 1,476 Views, 78 Comments

The People's Republic of Twilightlicious - GeodesicDragon



Twilight Sparkle has been given control of her very own nation, and now she has to learn how to lead it — while at the same time trying to prevent one of her new neighbours from invading Equestria.

  • ...
3
 78
 1,476

Death Penalty On Agenda

Author's Note:

Just so you're all aware, the recent Zombie Apocalypse is non-canon to the events of this story. As such, no further mentions will be made of it.

"So, Geo, what brings you to Twilightlicious today?" Twilight asked incredulously. "Are you here to inform me that you're off to bomb yet another nation that has dared to rub you the wrong way?"

"Believe it or not, Princess Twilight, I'm actually here to observe your mettle as a leader. With your permission, I'd like to stay here and see how you deal with the many issues which arise on a daily basis." Geo chuckled. "This 'democracy' thing is new to me, so I'm keen to see how a nation which believes in it works."

"Are you for real?" Rainbow Dash spluttered. "You, the single biggest oppressor in the whole region, is actually wanting to observe something which you're unfamiliar with... rather than drop tons of bombs on it? Because, from what I've heard, that's what you usually do when you come across something new: blow it up."

One of Geo's bodyguards raised his weapon and pointed it at Dash's head. "How dare you dare address the Herald of the Apocalypse in such a manner!" he shouted. "Sir, do I have your permission to blow this maggot's brains all over the wall?"

"Permission denied." Geo produced his own weapon and pointed it at the guard. "And if you keep threatening the Princess' friend, it will be your brains that decorate this office. Understood?!"

The soldier dropped to his knees. "Sorry, sir. Forgive my impulses."

"I will... for now," Geo replied. "Five hundred push-ups, now."

"Sir! Yes, sir!"

As the soldier began his push-ups, Twilight cleared her throat. "Getting back to the topic at hand, I'd be happy to let you observe me while I deal with my next few issues." she narrowed her eyes and glared at Geo. "'Observe' being the key word."

Geo nodded and sat down, his remaining bodyguards taking positions around the room while one of them watched the man doing the push-ups. "Yes, yes," he said. "I will observe, and not make any comments whatsoever. This is your nation, not mine, and I know that it is not my place to tell you how to run it."

"Very well." Twilight sat at her desk. "Rainbow, are you all right?"

"I'm fine, Twi," Dash said. "Don't worry about it."

"All right," Twilight replied. "Raymond, what's the current issue?"

"The next issue on the list is that of the death penalty," Raymond replied solemnly. "Following a tragic double murder, capital punishment has surged as an election issue. There now appears a real possibility that right-wing candidate Jake Brown, running on a 'Do the Crime, Pay the Penalty' platform, will gain power. While society's intelligentsia is outraged, debate rages as to whether the government should intervene."

"I assume there are people waiting to speak with me?" Twilight asked, to which Raymond nodded. "Send them in."

"Before you do that, Mr. Bullock, I feel obliged to point something out to you," Geo interjected. "First of all, I apologise for the actions of that idiot over there. Secondly, do not be surprised if my men subject anyone coming into this room to a security check."

"I had a feeling that would be the case anyway, Herald," Raymond replied as he walked to the door. He opened it and waved a couple of people inside, then walked back to take his place by Twilight's desk. The newcomers entered the room warily and, after being frisked by Geo's bodyguards, stood before Twilight and bowed.

"I am Professor Freddy Hanover of the University of Greater Twilightlicious," the first person said. "And this is Civil Rights Unionist May Frederickson. We have come before you today to argue the cases for and against the death penalty."

"It is nice to meet you both," Twilight replied. "By all means, please present your cases. Professor, you first."

"This is a democracy, remember?" Freddy asked rhetorically. "That means that if the people want something, they get it." He ignored Geo's scoff of dismissal and continued speaking. "I hate to say it, but in the name of political freedom, we need to accept that Twilightlicious will have the death penalty."

"I'm sorry, but this travesty cannot be allowed to pass," May interjected. "If the government needs to crack down on lunatic fringe groups in order to keep our great nation free of the death penalty, then so be it. We must ban the politics of hatred and fear!"

Twilight thought for a moment, then stood up. "In my homeland of Equestria, we do not have any need for the death penalty. Instead, criminals are rehabilitated and made into productive members of society. I do not wish to be a leader who introduces such a harsh punishment, so it is for that reason I side with May. The death penalty will not be a part of this nation, and we will instead put our faith into the justice system and hope for the best."

"As you wish, Your Highness," Freddy said. "I accept your decision, and hope that it bodes well for this great land."

"Thank you for seeing it my way, Your Highness." May bowed.

"My decision will be written into law as soon as possible." Twilight walked to the door. "Thank you for your time, I wish you both the very best for your future endeavours."

Freddy and May both walked to the door, shook Twilight's hoof and then left. As Twilight closed the door behind them, Geo laughed.

"No death penalty?" he asked. "You're just asking for trouble."

"I thought I told you to observe, and not comment," Twilight snapped. "Believe it or not, there are ways to deal with criminals other than 'tie them to a post and shoot them.'"

"Apologies, Princess," Geo replied. "I'll keep my mouth shut."

"See that you do." Twilight sighed as she sat down at her desk again. "What's the next item on the agenda, Raymond?"

"Bus drivers across the country are on strike over what they see as terrible working conditions," he replied. "There are four people on the list to speak to you, each of them with their own solution."

"Arrange a meeting for as soon as possible." Twilight sighed. "You know, I can't help but feel like I've missed out on a lot of work."

"Whatever makes you say that, darling?" Rarity asked.

Twilight shrugged. "I don't know," she said. "I just feel like that all the issues have been piling up because I've not been taking the time to deal with them. I've got all these people waiting to speak to me, and it feels like I'm flat out ignoring them."

"Aww, don't be sad, Twilight," Fluttershy said. "I'm sure this sort of thing happens in politics all the time."

"I agree with Fluttershy!" Pinkie said. "You're just feeling this way because you're not used to it. But don't you worry your silly little purple princess plot, because you'll get the hang of it in no time!"

Twilight giggled. "Thanks, girls," she said. "I guess you're right; it's not like I can get used to this job after only a few days of doing it, right?" Her friends nodded, to which Twilight gave them a smile. "Right. Okay, Raymond, please send in the next group."

Raymond bowed and walked over to the door, while Twilight and the others made themselves comfortable in preparation for what was sure to be another busy day in Twilightlicious.