• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 1,480 Views, 78 Comments

The People's Republic of Twilightlicious - GeodesicDragon



Twilight Sparkle has been given control of her very own nation, and now she has to learn how to lead it — while at the same time trying to prevent one of her new neighbours from invading Equestria.

  • ...
3
 78
 1,480

Interlude: State Of The Nation #1

PRIVATE AND CONFIDENTIAL
For the eyes of Princess Twilight Sparkle only

Your Highness,

The following report contains the current up-to-date information regarding The People's Republic of Twilightlicious. I hope it is to your liking, but please do not hesitate to contact me if you have any problems with it — no matter how small you think they are.

Your humble servant,
Raymond Bullock.

ECONOMY

At the start of your rule, the economy was worth three hundred and ninety-three billion bits per year. I am pleased to report that this has risen to 1,540,000,000,000 (one trillion, five hundred and forty billion) bits per year, which is an increase of 1,177,000,000,000 (one trillion, one hundred and seventy-seven billion).

As much as it will no doubt dismay you, the Arms Manufacturing industry continues to dominate the economy — although Trout Farming, Uranium Mining and Cheese Exports are doing well.

INCOME AND EXPENDITURE

The average income tax rate when you came here was twenty-one point four percent. In the weeks since, this has increased to twenty-nine point six percent, an increase of eight point two percent — although wealthier citizens pay much more.

Law and Order, Welfare and Education are the governments main priorities for spending, much like they were when you first got here.

The average income of citizens has dropped from the fifty-one thousand, nine hundred and ninety-five bits it was at when you started your leadership. It now stands at thirty-thousand, seven-hundred and seventeen bits per year — a fall of twenty-one thousand, two hundred and seventy-eight.

However, the gap between rich and poor has fallen alongside this figure. When you started, the richest citizens earned six point two times as much as the poorest. Now they earn just twice as much.

POPULATION

Our population now stands at fifty million citizens, up from the seven million we had at the start of your rule. Immigration and rising birth rates are credited with the increase.

DIPLOMACY

There are three other nations in our region, two of which are populated by Equestrians and humans.

'The Equestrian Paradise of Redman4933' is the regional leader in civil rights and political freedoms. Their rulers are named Celestia and Luna — but they have been called that long before we knew of you and the other ponies from Equestria.

As for the name of the country... we believe the original founder lost a bet, and had to give the nation the same name as an online alias he used as a child. We have good diplomatic relations with them, and we trade in both tourists and goods.

Before we were founded, 'The Scottish Land of Insignificance' was the smallest of the nations. Citizens there have some civil rights and excellent political freedoms — though the country is currently in the grip of recession, thanks to their economy taking a nosedive.

Much like the Equestrian Paradise, we have good relations with the Scottish Land. Their leader, Jock Wallace, is a very good man, and is doing all he can to dig his people out of the pit they're in.

And now we come to the final nation in our region, which is bigger than us, the Equestrian Paradise and the Scottish Land combined.

'The Equestrian Apocalypse of GeodesicDragon' is ruled with an iron fist by a man named 'Geo,' a direct descendant of the original founder — who was named, you guessed it, 'GeodesicDragon.'

Citizens are oppressed on a daily basis and have no civil rights or political freedoms. Geo is the country's dictator, and any who dare question him tend to disappear in the middle of the night.

To give you an example of how despotic Geo is, he recently passed a law saying that poets and writers are to be lined up against walls and shot for entertainment.

Now, you are probably thinking that Twilightlicious, the Equestrian Paradise and the Scottish Lands don't need the help of such a large and oppressive country — but you'd be wrong.

The Equestrian Apocalypse actually help us all, by keeping the region safe from invasion. Their military power is colossal, helped by the fact that the Arms Manufacturing industry is the only one the country seems to care about. It is a well-known fact that the Equestrian Apocalypse is in possession of thousands of nuclear missiles — they've even built an orbital laser cannon on the moon.

So far, Geo has not shown us any signs of aggression. He does not demand anything from his neighbours, and so we are able to live our lives free from his influence.

Which is good, because I shudder to think about what might happen if he decides to expand his borders.

This concludes my report on the current state of Twilightlicious. To summarise: you're doing great, Princess Twilight. Keep it up.

- R. Bullock

Author's Note:

The purpose of this chapter is to give you a bit of updated information regarding Twilightlicious, as well as introduce the three other nations I own.

Redman4933 is my 'nice' nation, where I try to make everyone happy.
GeodesicDragon is my 'bad' nation, where I make everyone's lives a misery.
Insignificance is my 'personal' nation, where I make decisions based on my own beliefs.

Each of these nations may play a part in later chapters, hence why I am talking about them here.