• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 1,477 Views, 78 Comments

The People's Republic of Twilightlicious - GeodesicDragon



Twilight Sparkle has been given control of her very own nation, and now she has to learn how to lead it — while at the same time trying to prevent one of her new neighbours from invading Equestria.

  • ...
3
 78
 1,477

Interlude: Zombie Invasion - Solution

"Wake up, Princess, I have good news."

Twilight stirred slowly, raising her head to meet Raymond's gaze. He had a smile on his face for the first time since the pandemonium of the zombie invasion gripped the nation, a smile Twilight was quick to return with one of her own.

"Good news?" she repeated. "Please, do share."

"Our scientists have managed to find a cure for the zombie virus, and have developed special missiles we can use to deploy it. The thing is, we can only use them on other nations within the region."

"Well then, it's a good thing the Paradise and Insignificance are working on a cure too," Twilight replied. "I assume their research is paying off?"

Raymond nodded. "It is indeed," he said. "I was talking to Luna, Celestia and Jock earlier, and we agreed to help each other out. The Paradise will fire these 'cure missiles' at Insignificance, who will use theirs on us, and then we use ours on the Paradise."

"What of the Apocalypse?" Twilight asked. "Have they wiped themselves out yet?"

Raymond shook his head. "The Apocalypse is reporting that they have zero infected within their borders." He sighed. "They have solved their problem, but at the cost of one billion, seven-hundred and thirty-five million, two-hundred and sixty-eight thousand, two hundred and sixty-seven dead."

Twilight gasped. "They wiped out over twenty percent of their population instead of helping them?" she shuddered. "It's just as well we didn't ask for their help in dealing with our own zombie problems. With the size of the Apocalypse's military, you and I would soon be the only individuals left in all of Twilightlicious!"

"That's another thing." Raymond scratched the back of his head nervously. "We've had reports that GDA troops have been raiding our cities and purging our infected citizens."

Twilight narrowed her eyes. "How many?" she demanded.

"Nearly a million dead so far," Raymond muttered. "We must press on with our deployment of the cure missiles, before the Apocalypse wipes out a massive chunk of our population."

"Then let us begin," Twilight said. "Tell me what I have to do."

***

"Missile away!"

"Copy that, Paradise, one million infected cured. Keep 'em coming!"

"Understood, Insignificance, we'll get this sorted ASAP."

Twilight listened intently, as a constant barrage of radio conversations assaulted her ears. Across the region, missile fire was being exchanged with the intent of curing the infected and bringing an end to the zombie invasion.

"Dammit, GDA troops just took out some of our infected. Uou need to keep those missiles coming, Paradise!"

"Copy that, Insignificance, we're going as fast as we can."

"Twilightlicious to the Paradise, missiles heading your way."

"Understood, Twilightlicious, missiles received and appreciated."

"Twilightlicious, this is Insignificance. You've got more GDA forces approaching from the south-west."

"We see them, Insignificance, but we can't do anything about it."

Twilight sighed. "Why can't they leave us alone?" she asked. "Why do they think we need their 'help?'"

"Because they're bigger than us," Raymond replied. "They know that we're too small to stop them, so they do as they please."

"Keep it up, Paradise," the radio crackled. "An estimated eight million infected still remain in Insignificance."

"Hopefully we can end this with as few dead as possible," Twilight said. "Then, hopefully, the Apocalypse will see that you don't need to solve all your problems by throwing soldiers at them."

"I doubt that they will." Raymond shrugged. "But it's worth a try."

"A couple more missiles, Paradise, and we've got this in the bag!"

"Understood, Insignificance. Sending more of the good stuff now."

"Another successful strike, Paradise. Less than two million infected remaining in— wait, what the hell is... oh, crap!"

"What is it?" Twilight asked.

There was a moment of silence before the radio operator replied. "GDA troops have just wiped out the last of our infected."

"What?!" Twilight and Raymond shouted in unison.

"We have no infected remaining anywhere in the country," he said solemnly. "Estimated casualties... over three million."

"Damn, we need to hurry," Twilight snarled. "Raymond, start preparing our own missiles for use against the Paradisian infected."

"At once, Your Highness!" Raymond rushed over to the control panel. "Preparing to fire cure miss—"

"You can't use your missiles yet, Princess, because we've just launched one at you," Jock said. "We don't know why, but being hit by a cure missile or raided by a Tactical Zombie Elimination Squad seems to put a three-minute lockdown on your weapons. We've cured the last of your infected, and you now have no zombies, but you won't be able to help the Paradise until that lockdown is over."

"Do not worry, Princess Twilight," Celestia's serene voice came out of another radio. "We shall wait until you are ready to assist us."

"I'm afraid we might not have much time, sister," Luna said. "We've just detected ten battalions of GDA troops heading this way."

"Then all hope is lost," Twilight said. "Our missiles won't be ready in time to stop them from killing everyone."

"GDA troops attacking Quarantine Zone Delta-Six," the Paradisian radio operator said. "Over three million dead so far."

"I'm so sorry, Celestia and Luna," Jock said. "I didn't think that—"

"Do not worry yourself, Jock," Celestia said. "We all knew that it was only a matter of time before the GDA turned its attention to dealing with our infected, much like they did yours."

"But you stand to lose more citizens!" Twilight hung her head. "I should have acted sooner, maybe then I would have—"

"Accepting loss is one of the hardest lessons a leader must learn, Princess." Raymond put a hand on Twilight's back. "It's not pretty, I know, but such is the way of the world here."

Twilight wiped her eyes and sat on her haunches dejectedly, while Raymond put an arm around her in a supportive gesture.

"You're right, Raymond," she said. "If I am to become a good leader, I need to learn that there are some things I cannot control. And at least we can all take solace in the fact that we had the support of good friends during this whole crisis."

"Aye, that much is true," Jock said. "We may have lost a fair amount of our people, but I think we can all agree that the true victims in this whole sorry affair are the poor souls killed within the borders of the Apocalypse." He paused. "May our own people never know suffering on such a horrific scale."

"Hear, hear." Celestia and Luna spoke in unison.

Just then, a loud beeping noise came from the control panel.

Raymond's face lit up. "Princess Twilight," he said eagerly. "The lockdown is finished — our missiles are ready to fire!"

Twilight's head shot up. "Fire as many as you can, then, and stop the GDA from slaughtering more innocent people!" she ordered.

"At once!" Raymond pressed a button. "Missiles away!"

"Copy that, Twilightlicious," the Paradisian radio operator said. "The Paradise acknowledges incoming missiles."

Silence prevailed for a moment, the only noise being the ticking of the clock. After a minute, the radio crackled back to life.

"Direct hit!" the radio operator was overjoyed. "Last remaining infected have been cured. The Paradise is now zombie free... but the GDA has managed to kill over twelve million citizens."

Luna let out a sigh of relief. "It's over."

"It's over." Jock repeated.

"Yes, finally..." Twilight smiled broadly. "It's over."

Author's Note:

I wrote this chapter while working on curing the infected within Twilightlicious, Redman4933 and Insignificance. All of the zombies in the Apocalypse had already been killed prior to this.

I hope I've made this seem exciting; I never was any good at action scenes.

Just the aftermath chapter to go, but that'll be written once the actual in-game event ends.