• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 3,286 Views, 319 Comments

A Rift Between Worlds - Cinders of War



When Equestria and the human world come under attack from a deadly new foe, Princess Celestia must reawaken one of Equestria’s oldest and most well kept secrets to keep both worlds from losing it all. This time, friendship alone won’t be enough.

  • ...
11
 319
 3,286

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 2: The Brewing

After second period, Applejack had brought Home Run to his next class, which was Mr. Bray’s class, while she headed off for gym class. Home Run had picked a seat in the back as he got ready for the math class. Two boys had come into the classroom, dueling with each other using rulers. Everyone had turned to watch them as they parried each other’s attacks, only stopping when Mr. Bray cleared his throat.

“Sit down,” the math teacher ordered. “I don’t have time for your shenanigans.”

The two of them quickly apologized and searched for empty seats. The boy with silvery blonde hair sat near the front, while the other, a boy with dark brown, wavy hair tied up in a ponytail, walked over to the empty seat next to Home Run.

“Mind if I cut in?” he drawled.

“Not at all,” Home run nodded, pulling out the seat for the boy. “That uh… swordplay was good.”

The boy put his fingers on his moustache and spread them apart along the thin hair. “Ah, that’s nothing. You should see us when we have real swords!”

“Ya mean bats?” another boy with a shaven head in front of Home Run said.

“No I mean real swords, Sundown,” the boy added. “Now that you mention it, I’m pretty got with the bat too.”

He looked at Home Run. “Ever seen me in action… uh…”

“Home Run.”

“Ah, Home Run! Are you new?”

“As a matter of fact,” Home Run confirmed. “I am.”

The boy stretched out his hand. “I’m Jetstream. Nice to meet you.”

Home Run accepted the hand and shook. “Same to you.”

“Well, since you’re new here,” he continued. “I better give you a proper introduction. I’m the best batter the Canterlot High baseball team has got.”

“If ya don’t count Rainbow Dash,” Sundown said snidely.

“You shut your face!” Jetstream retorted. He turned back to Home Run. “So, you a baseball player? Your name being Home Run and all?”

“Of course!” Home Run replied excitedly. “I was captain of my old school’s baseball team.”

“Ooh, a real big boss, huh?” he said, waving his hands in front of his face. “Still, if you’re that confident, you should sign up for the baseball team. We’re short on a few members, and we could use some new people.”

“Jetstream!” Mr. Bray announced. “If you have something to say, then come up to the front and say it! Otherwise, let me teach.”

“You’re the boss,” Jetstream said, leaning back in his chair with a grin.

“Alright, welcome class. I think we’ve wasted enough time as it is. Take out your textbooks and turn to chapter one.”

Home Run pulled out his textbook, waiting for the moment they would receive more homework. Homework wasn’t something he enjoyed, but he didn’t particularly mind math, so the class went by easily.


After the next bell, Jetstream pointed Home Run towards the Art class.

“If you’re serious about joining the baseball team, which I’m sure you are… come talk to one of us later. Even better, talk to Rainbow Dash. She’s the captain of our little team.”

“Will do,” Home Run waved. “See you around.”

Art class passed uneventfully enough, and soon Home Run was on his way to lunch. He headed to the cafeteria, remembering its location from before. Entering through the glass double doors, he saw the line of students queuing up to get sustenance and joined them. A few minutes later, he left the queue with a plate of steak and salad, and a packet of juice. He walked around slowly, looking for a place to sit.

“Hey, Home Run!” he heard someone call.

He turned to see Applejack waving at him from a nearby table. He made his way over, dodging around a girl with strangely mismatched eyes with a muffin as she waltzed into his path. Just as he put his tray down on the table, there was an explosion of confetti, startling him as he tried to figure out what happened.

“Hi, I’m Pinkie Pie!” a pink girl squealed, taking has hand and vigorously shaking it. “And welcome to Canterlot High! Applejack told me there was a new student! I know everyone here, so when I heard there was a new student, I was all… Wooo! Someone new! You’re not a monster are you?”

“Uh…” Home Run said as he tried to understand the meaning of the question. “No…?”

“Good!” she shouted happily, returning to her seat to resume her lunch.

“What’s all that about?” Home Run asked Applejack.

“Ah dunno,” she said, quickly turning away and looking around. Eventually, she turned back and introduced Home Run to the rest of her friends. “You’ve already met Fluttershy.”

The pink haired girl gave a little wave.

“And the energetic one is Pinkie Pie. She likes parties.”

“You bet I do!” Pinkie whooped.

“And this is Rarity, Sunset Shimmer, and Rainbow Dash,” Applejack said as she panned her arm towards all three of them.

“Nice to meet you,” Home Run told them.

“Nice to meet you too!” they chorused.

“Well, how’s your day been so far, Home Run?” Applejack asked as she took a bite out of her apple.

“Pretty good,” Home Run recounted. “All the classes have been okay except for one.”

“Which one do you mean?” Sunset asked.

“The multimedia class with Mr. Pierce,” Home Run told them.

As soon as he mentioned Mr. Pierce, the rest of the table gave a collective groan.

“Well, nothin’ we can do about that,” Applejack said, agreeing with Home Run. “Just gotta deal with it.”

“Unless someone kills him,” Rainbow Dash started. “We’re going to be stuck with him forever!”

“Rainbow,” Rarity scolded. “What a thing to say.”

“I’m only joking!”

Sunset Shimmer rolled her eyes as Rarity and Rainbow continued to argue.

“So…” she started to ask the new student. “Where did you go to before CHS?”

Home Run felt the eyes of the six girls stare at him as though they were trying to fish out something from him. “I used to go to Fillydelphia State School. It was alright I guess. I had to move here to Canterlot because my dad got a job here. I used to play on my school’s baseball team too.”

“Speaking of baseball…” Rainbow Dash asked. “Which was your favourite spot?”

“I liked batting the best,” Home Run replied.

“We’ve got a few good batters here at CHS,” Rainbow Dash said after taking a drink. “The rest of the team has quite the reputation. The other kids have started to call them the ‘Winds of Destruction’, although, I’m still the best!”

“Oh, that’s pretty awesome. I think I met one of the players. His name is… Jetstream?” Home Run tried to remember.

“Oh, you’ve met him? Yeah, he’s one of them. Nice guy, but I think he takes his rivalry with Lightning Rain a bit too far.”

“Lightning Rain?” Home Run asked. “Which one is he?”

“Oh he’s the one with silver-blonde hair. Generally grumpy look. He and Jetstream have been rivals for as long as they’ve been at CHS. Apparently Jetstream thinks Lightning Rain’s batting technique lacks something, but he never says what. It also seems they both find their rivalry a little fun.”

Home Run remembered the other boy Jetstream was dueling with. “Oh, I think I’ve met him. They were fighting with rulers in my math class.”
“Yeah, that’s the one,” Rainbow confirmed. “They’ve done that a few times.”

“Yeah!” Pinkie shouted, jumping up from her seat. “Once, they did it in Mr. Pierce’s class, and he gave them detention for a week!”

“After beating them senseless with his baton,” Applejack added. “I’m surprised they haven’t fired him over that.”

“Wait, he… what?” Home Run asked, unsure if he had heard that right.

“We try to forget it,” Rarity answered.

“Anyway,” Rainbow Dash continued, trying to drag the conversation back to the original topic. “We’re having tryouts for the baseball team this Friday afternoon, after school. If you really want to join, meet us there.”

“Will do,” the baseball player nodded, putting a spoonful of vegetables in his mouth, finishing his meal.

“I guess I’ll be heading to my next class,” Home Run said, picking up his tray. “I’ve got Science with Mr. Discord next.”

“We’ll come with you,” Rainbow Dash said as she, Sunset Shimmer, and Fluttershy got up to go. “We’re having Science too.”

“Sweet,” Home Run responded, following them to the tray return area.


On the way to class, Rainbow Dash had talked to Home Run about baseball and every other sport that she played. She seemed to be very enthusiastic about sports.

Arriving at Mr. Discord’s classroom, Home Run and the girls found some seats in the middle and sat down. Rainbow sat with Home Run to talk about more baseball, while Sunset Shimmer sat with Fluttershy.

“Yo, new guy,” someone said to Home Run’s left. “Home Run, right?”

He turned to see the shaven head friend of Jetstream from before. The burly boy wore a black jacket that faded to red near the bottom. Home Run noticed an emblem on his jacket, which was a baseball with a fiery sun outlining the ball.

“Sundown,” Home Run asked, remembering the boy’s name. “So you’re on the baseball team too?”

Sundown looked at his jacket and laughed. “That obvious, huh? Yeah, of course ah am!”

“Sundown’s our pitcher,” Rainbow Dash leaned over.

“Not as good as our captain,” Sundown added.

“Of course not!” Rainbow assured. “But I let him pitch anyway. He’s pretty good. I’d rather be out in the field.”

The bell rang, meaning anyone who came to class now was late. Without further ado, Mr. Discord leapt out from under his desk, startling a few students, especially Fluttershy, who almost fell out of her chair. The crazy teacher headed to the door, watching as the last few students filed into the room.

“Late, late, late, late, late,” he said as he pointed at each one of them. “Do make it a point to get here… early!”

After the last student entered the room, Mr. Discord slammed the door behind them, startling them and Fluttershy, who this time, fell out of her chair.

“Ooh, I r-really don’t l-like Mr. Discord’s… methods,” she mumbled as she got back to her seat.

“It’s alright, Fluttershy,” Sunset said. “I’m sure that’s the end of all those… surprises.”

“Ha!” Rainbow laughed. “There’s sure to be more!”

Fluttershy cowered at the thought, but Sunset reassured her Discord wouldn’t do it again.

“C’mon, Rainbow,” Sunset said. “You know you shouldn’t be saying that to Fluttershy.”

“It’s a joke!” she replied.

“Is Mr. Discord always like that?” Home Run asked. “He’s definitely the weirdest teacher I’ve seen.”

“You’ll get used to it,” Rainbow told him.

“Alright. If you say so.”

Mr. Discord immediately started writing on the board and talking about the chaos theory without any instructions, catching Home Run off guard. He turned to look at the other students, who all seemed to know what to do.

“Used to it,” Rainbow said before he had a chance to ask her.

The class went by quickly, with Mr. Discord constantly explaining different scientific theories, not stopping for any questions. The bell rang, releasing the students from his class.

“Remember your homework!” he reminded them as they left. “Pages four, seven, three, five, and twenty!”


Princess Celestia patrolled the inner sanctum of her secret lair, starting up the venting process for each of the pods as she walked around. The air began to fill with a thin mist of vaporized coolant from the multiple mods outlining the walls of the room.

Venting in progress.

She went over to the armory and activated each one, making sure they were all stocked up and good to go. After that, she headed to the rest of the facilities that they used to train and upgrade themselves and activated them as well.

As much as she wanted to, she couldn’t face them on her own. All those years before, she had been reliant on those who lay dormant in the pods around her. She had always been sure to cover her tracks. To never let the Queens find her, but unless her sensors were wrong, they had found her.

Just when the Princess thought things couldn’t get any worse, the system had something to add on to her already heavy pile of worries.

Alert! Reactivation process corrupted. Energy insufficient. Please insert void key.

A panel on the console hissed open, revealing a port for two void keys.
Celestia hit herself in the face.

Of course they were low on energy, after all this time! How could I be so careless?

She needed two void keys. One to activate the Frames and one to activate the beings within. Those little golden objects were the key to reawakening the Tenno. She returned back to her chambers, locking all the doors behind her. Picking up a quill and paper, she sent out an urgent request to Twilight Sparkle. If she couldn’t even find one key, she had no hope of combating the approaching storm.

PreviousChapters Next