• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 3,285 Views, 319 Comments

A Rift Between Worlds - Cinders of War



When Equestria and the human world come under attack from a deadly new foe, Princess Celestia must reawaken one of Equestria’s oldest and most well kept secrets to keep both worlds from losing it all. This time, friendship alone won’t be enough.

  • ...
11
 319
 3,285

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 6: Suit Up

“Insert it here, Rarity, if you would,” Princess Celestia told the violet haired unicorn.

“Of course, princess,” Rarity nodded. She walked to the console and carefully placed the key into its slot.

Fitting perfectly, the panel returned to the console, lightning up the screens with a warm blue light.

Void key inserted. Reactivating Warframes…

“So what happens now, princess?” Rarity asked, still looking at the machine.

“Since we only have one key,” Celestia started. “We can only partially activate my ancient warriors. Their consciousness will be awake in the Warframes, but they will not be able to take control of the suits. Someone else is going to have to pilot it for them until we get the second key.”

“Ooh!” Pinkie shouted with excitement, jumping up and down. “Do we get to do it? Do we? Do we?”

“Calm down, Pinkie,” Applejack told her. “Let the princess talk.”

“Thank you, Applejack,” Celestia smiled. She turned to all of them. “As much as I trust in your abilities, my little ponies, I think it would be better suited to give these to the humans. The Grineer are from their world, and they already know how to use their human bodies. Until I can develop Warframes for ponies, we’re going to have to leave it to the humans.”

“Twilight can do it!” Spike suggested, eagerly pointing at her. “She’s been to the human world! She knows how their… human bodies work!”

“That’s right, princess!” Twilight nodded. “I can help!”

Celestia thought about it before giving them an answer. “Very well, Twilight. I think it’s time to prepare the pods for transport. Would you all so kindly help me bring these to Twilight’s palace?”


The school day had been relatively uneventful, except for one little excerpt, for the Rainbooms as left Mr. Loregiver’s class. Sunset had questioned Home Run about what he did the day before, trying to get information about yesterday’s event from him.

“So you just went to play baseball in the field?” she asked.

“Yeah…” Home Run replied. “I… practiced my skills, then I… went home to do my homework. Yeah, that’s what I did.”

Really?” Rainbow Dash asked suspiciously.

Home Run rubbed the back on his head. “Well… as much as I want to stay around and chat… I’ve got this thing to do, so… I gotta run.”

The blue haired boy quickly picked up his things and ran out of the classroom before anyone else.

“That one’s hidin’ somethin’,” Applejack commented.

“Definitely,” Rarity agreed as she put her books into her bag.

“I wouldn’t think so,” Rainbow added. “But you’re right. He definitely has something he doesn’t want us to find out.”

“Maybe we should follow him?” Sunset asked the others. The other girls gave her nods of agreements, just as her book began vibrating. “Hold on… I think we’ve got a message from Princess Twilight.”

Sunset pulled out her book and read aloud, “Dear Sunset, please gather the girls and come to the mirror as soon as possible. There is something of utmost importance I must show you. Your friend, Twilight Sparkle.

“Looks like following him will have to wait,” Fluttershy said, relieved that she didn’t have to do something so sneaky.

“Well, we should head on over to the mirror,” Applejack reckoned. “Don’t wanna keep Twilight waitin’.”

The Rainbooms finished packing their things and headed out the door, saying goodbye to their new history teacher, who seemed to be watching them more closely than usual. Deciding to wait until the crowds thinned down a bit, the Rainbooms hung around the statue, each of them pulling out their own ways to pass the time. Rainbow Dash pulled out her soccer ball and started bouncing it on her knees. Rarity took out her phone and opened her MyStable app, checking for any updates or juicy gossip. Applejack wasted no time in doing her homework, getting to work on Mr. Bray’s math assignments. Fluttershy just sat there and watched the clouds go by, while Pinkie Pie started blowing balloons and turning them into different animals. Sunset Shimmer kept a close watch on the crowds, waiting for the right moment to write to Twilight.

It took a while but eventually, the front walk was empty enough that no one would notice someone new appearing from the statue. Sunset opened her book and wrote to Twilight, telling her that the coast was clear. What appeared on the other side of Sunset’s book confused her.

“What’s wrong?” Fluttershy asked, seeing Sunset’s confused face.

“It’s strange…” she mused. “But Twilight asked for us to go through the mirror.”

“Go through the mirror?” Pinkie asked enthusiastically. “Do we get to finally go through and see what’s on the other side? Ooh, I’m so excited!”

As they talked, a familiar figure popped out from the mirror, falling down at their feet.

“Oomph!” Twilight gasped as she hit the ground.

“Twilight!” the girls shouted in unison, happy to see their friend.

The Rainbooms helped her up as she dusted off her clothes. “Good to see you too, but I’ve got news and… we need your help. First, I need you all to come with me.”

“So, through the mirror?” Sunset asked.

“Yes,” Twilight replied.

“Whoopie!” Pinkie bounced, finally getting her chance to go through.

“Come with me,” Twilight told her friends, taking a step through the portal.

“Well, here goes nothing!” Rainbow shouted and dashed through.

Pinkie happily bounced in, followed behind by the rest of the Rainbooms. After a brief flight down a rainbow tunnel, they reappeared in a new place.

“Woah!” Rainbow admired. “A sweet place you got here!”

“Welcome to Equestria!” Twilight told her human friends as they all emerged from the mirror. They took some time to look at the place before looking at themselves.

“Umm… Twilight?” Sunset Shimmer asked, looking at her hands. “Aren’t we supposed to turn into… you know… ponies?”

“Oh, that,” Twilight remembered. “Princess Celestia cast a magical ‘bubble’ around my palace so that you girls could remain in your human forms.”

“That’s nice and all,” Applejack whistled. “But why do we need ta be in our human forms?”

Twilight took a deep breath before continuing. “You’re all not going to believe this… but there are… aliens coming. They want to get to Equestria through your world.”

“Aliens, huh?” Sunset mused. “Can’t be a coincidence that we’ve been hearing this word a lot recently, right? And we did see a suspicious man in a suit of armor yesterday.”

“A-aliens a-are real?” Fluttershy cowered.

“Yes, that’s just what I was going to get to,” Twilight told her friend. “Princess Celestia has told me of an ancient enemy known as the Grineer. They are clones, sent to conquer the universe, but the princess has managed to foil them at every turn with the help of some of her creations she calls Warframes, which are high-tech semi-magical battlesuits. She also created the Tenno, the users of these Frames, but after she believed the Grineer gone, she put them to cryosleep.”

“But they’ve come back?” Rarity asked. “Haven’t they?”

“Yes…” Twilight nodded. “And there’s a problem. To activate the Warframes and Tenno, Princess Celestia needed two objects called void keys. They contain the energy to awaken the armors and consciousness again.”

“Well, why do you need us then, Twilight?” Applejack asked, unsure of the princess’s intentions.

Twilight wrinkled her mouth. “There were… complications. After spending so long in cryosleep, it’s going to take an enormous amount of energy and effort to get them working again. We’ve only managed to find a single key so far, which allows the Warframes to reactivate, but without the Tenno controlling the suit. With the Tenno unable to control the suits, they’re not going to be much use against the Grineer at all.”

“I think this is leading to something awesome!” Rainbow Dash squeed.

“Depends on what you mean by awesome,” Applejack said darkly. “Ah’m not sure ah like where this is goin’ at all.”

“We should just let Princess Twilight explain this,” Sunset pointed out. “Let her get back to her explaining.”

“Thank you, Sunset,” Twilight said gratefully. She walked across the room to a row of pods leaning on the crystal wall. “The princess needs us to pilot the Warframes and drive off the Grineer, at least until we get the second void key.”

There was a moment of stunned silence as everyone processed what Twilight had just told them.

“You mean like Iron Mare?” Pinkie asked, looking into one of the pods, wiping off the fog with her hair.

“First of all,” Twilight deadpanned. “I have no idea who or what that is. Second, what I mean is that Princess Celestia needs us to pick a Warframe so that we can stop the Grineer.”

“You mean we actually have to… fight?” Fluttershy asked timidly.

“I don’t like it any more than you do, Fluttershy,” Twilight admitted. “But if we don’t, the Grineer are going to hurt a lot of people.”

“Can’t we just use our magic against them?” Rarity questioned. “Like with the Sirens?”

“I don’t think so,” Twilight shook her head. “Princess Celestia has been fighting the Grineer for longer than we’ve been alive. I think she knows best, and I trust her unreservedly.”

“Let’s not waste any more time!” Rainbow said impatiently. “I want to see what these things are!”

Rainbow headed over to the pods and peered into each one, having a look at which one might suit her best.

“The princess built a few descriptions into the pods,” Twilight told her friends. “You just need to press that circular button there.”

Rainbow looked for a Warframe that looked like it could keep up with her, before settling her eyes on a slim-built Frame that had what looked like tiny wings sticking out of it.

“This one looks promising!” Rainbow speculated, pressing the button for the description.

“Zephyr, a Warframe built for aerial combat. It has the ability-”

“I’m calling this one!” Rainbow quickly said, not listening to the rest of the description. “If it flies, it’s good enough for me!”

Applejack walked around the pods, listening to the various descriptions of the different Warframes.

“Mag, a Warframe with control over magnetism. It has the ability to pull enemies closer.”

“Not mah type,” Applejack said, moving on to the next.

“Saryn, a Waframe with power over poison. It has the ability to create spores that damage its enemies over a long period of time.”

“Banshee, a Warframe able to wield sonic waves. It is able to emit shockwaves to disable its foes.”

“Rhino, a heavily fortified Warframe. It is able to deal and take extensive damage.”

“Ah think this is what ah’m lookin’ for,” Applejack whistled. “Just what ah wanted. Somethin’ big and strong.”

“Hmmm…” Rarity thought. “I want something… nice. Something that looks as good as it can fight.”

“How ‘bout that Mag one ah was just lookin’ at?” Applejack suggested. “It’s got a mighty fine head there.”

Rarity walked over to look at the Mag Warframe, getting hypnotized by its swirling facial dome. “Ooh, I like it! I think I’ll take this one.”

“Rarity, do you even know what this one does?” Sunset asked.

“No,” Rarity shook her head. “But if it’s here with the rest of them, then it must be good for something.”

Pinkie had hopped past all the Warframe pods, reading the description on each pod like a bat out of a cave.

“I like this one!” Pinkie shouted, jumping up and down. “The description says it can create copies of itself! I can have a party of one!”

Everyone shuddered internally at the thought of having more than one Pinkie Pie, but it was too late to change her mind.

Sunset surveyed the cryopods for a while in silence, before finally settling on one. “I’ll choose this.”

She put her hand against the pod of a Warframe called Ember.

Having all picked Warframes, they were about to continue, before remembering Fluttershy.

“Fluttershy!” Rainbow called. “You still haven’t picked one!”

“Yeah!” the others chorused.

Fluttershy took two steps back. “I don’t know if I want to do this…”

“C’mon, Fluttershy,” Applejack encouraged. “You can do it.”

“Fluttershy,” Twilight called over, asking the pink haired girl to go to her. “Maybe this one will be better for you?”

Fluttershy timidly looked into the pod, looking at a red and black Warframe with a triangular face plate.

“This one’s called Trinity,” Twilight continued. “It’s a Warframe specialized for healing. With this, perhaps you won’t have to… you know… fight?”

“Oh, Twilight, that sounds perfect!” Fluttershy said, taking her place by the cryopod. “Maybe this one will be okay.”

“Alright!” Twilight cheered. “Glad that’s all settled!”

“Wait, Twilight,” Applejack asked. “Where’s yours? Don’t ya get one?”

“Oh, I’ve already picked mine!” Twilight told her friends. “While I was waiting, I’d thought I’d find the one for me. And I did. I present to you… Nyx!”

Twilight brought her hands out to show the Warframe she had picked. It was a grey and green suit that looked like an insect.

“Nyx is an intellectual Warframe that uses magic! I’d figured since I study magic, this would be the perfect Warframe for me!”

“Sounds like it,” Sunset smiled. “Now what do we do?”

Twilight hit another button, opening the pod to her Warframe with a hiss of pressurized air. “We suit up.”

The Rainbooms copied their lavender friend, releasing the covers for the cryopods. The seven girls stepped up to their suits and without warning, the Warframes opened up like jigsaw puzzles and folded around them.

“Woah now,” Applejack said on impulse.

“What’s going on!” Fluttershy panicked. “I-I don’t like what’s h-happening!”

“This is awesome!” Rainbow shouted, giving out a woot.

The Frames completely folded over their bodies as though it was just a second skin. They tested their mobility, able to move their arms and legs as if they weren’t wearing any armor at all. Rarity stretched out her hand, noticing how well her suit fit her.

“This is incredible!” she said out loud, testing the fingers.

Small images began materializing on their visors as they moved about.

HUD loading…

“A hud?” Applejack mimicked. “What in tarnation is a hud?”

“I think it stands for something,” Sunset answered.

“Who cares?” Rainbow said, dashing around the room. “These things are cool! And Awesome! Look at how fast I can go, even with this armor on!”

“HUD stands for Heads up Display.”

“Oh, so that’s what it means…” Applejack nodded, hearing the voice. “Wait, who said that?”

“Who said what?” Twilight asked, looking around.

Applejack put a hand to her head. “Thought ah heard a voice. Someone said a hud is a Heads up Display…”

“I said it.”

“There it is again!” Applejack said, looking around. “Ah heard that voice again. Where are you?”

“Within.”

“Within? Inside?”

“I am the Tenno within the Frame you wield.”

“Tenno…” Applejack remembered. She looked to her friends. “The Tenno are speakin’ ta us.”

“Yeah,” Rainbow nodded. “I just heard someone tell me how to fly!”

“Really?” Twilight asked, surprised at the realization of the Tenno within. “Mine hasn’t said anything.”

“Here goes nothing!” Rainbow said, getting into position.

With a powerful leap, she left the ground with swirling wind, launching herself up to the ceiling. She stayed in the air for a while before starting to glide around, going a few rounds around the room before settling down next to Sunset.

“Oh, Zephyr and I?” she told the others while laughing. “We’re gonna get along so well!”

“Mine is pretty awesome!” Pinkie shouted from the corner, testing out her new cloning ability. “Check this out guys!”

The others dreaded at the thought of having more Pinkie’s in power suits, but they tried to stay focused.

“Mine’s still not talking to me,” Twilight admitted. “Maybe it’s broken or something. Perhaps I should change out.”

“Yes, as would I,” Twilight's Tenno finally said.

“Oh, so you do speak?” Twilight realized. “Hi there. I’m Twilight Sparkle.”

“I couldn’t care less of who you are, pseudo-human, but relinquish control to me, and perhaps I will show more leniency.”

“What?” Twilight asked, aghast at her new partner. Her friends turned their curious eyes to her. “What kind of request is that?”

“Something the matter, Twilight?” Rarity asked, walking towards her.

“Yeah, it’s my Tenno, Nyx,” she explained. “She’s… being uncooperative.”

“Your Tenno? More like you are MY pilot,” Nyx fired back.

“Now listen here. I don’t know who or what you think you are, but Princess Celestia has instructed me to-”

“Who is this Princess Celestia? I only answer to the Lotus.”

Twilight felt like she wanted to put a palm to her face. “But Princess Celestia is the Lotus.”

“A likely story.”

“But she really is!”

“Tell you what, Twilight Sparkle. I’m going to give you three seconds to get out of my Warframe.”

“Or what?” Twilight challenged, her temperature rising by the second.

“Or I’m going to start throwing myself at the walls, and trust me. It’ll hurt you a lot more than it’ll hurt me.”

“Wait, hold on-”

“One… two…”

“Both of you, stop. I am the Lotus.” a new voice interrupted. A new icon appeared on the left side of Twilight’s field of vision. It was Princess Celestia with her Lotus helmet on. “Is this feed working correctly?”

“Ah, Lotus. Good. Please tell this Corpus reject to step out of my Warframe.”

“No!” Twilight protested. “And who are you calling a Corpus reject? What is a Corpus?”

“Oh, she doesn’t even know what a Corpus is. This is amazing. Truly, a whole new level of ignorance.”

“Enough,” Celestia said sternly. “I’m afraid Twilight Sparkle cannot leave the Warframe unless you want to go back to cryosleep.

“But, Lotus… why?”

Princess Celestia paused before speaking again. “Without a second void key, you Tenno are just consciousness. From the generations you slept, your energy has depleted. Until we find a second key, you will be unable to move your Warframes. That is why I have tasked Twilight Sparkle and her friends to assist you in the fight against the Grineer. Without them, you will be nothing.”

“That’s right!” Twilight added on, furious at her Tenno partner. “You couldn’t even throw me at the wall even if you wanted to!”

“My apologies, Lotus. I was too quick to judge, but I still think this Twilight Sparkle is incompetent.”

“You’re going to have to get used to it, Nyx,” Celestia informed. “Unless you want the Grineer to win, of course.”

The Tenno said no more as the princess went on to brief the girls about the weapons they had to use.

“So what you’re sayin’ is that we gotta pick one o’ these things here?” Applejack asked, pointing at the table full of weapons.

“That’s right, Applejack,” Celestia nodded on the screen. “Pick something that suits you or your Tenno.”

The girls headed over to the table. It had an assortment of dusty weapons, probably dug out from Princess Celestia’s ancient armory. There were guns, swords, knives, and even fists across the table, lying there for the Rainbooms to pick one.

“Pick the fists! Pick the fists!” Rhino strongly suggested.

“What, you’re serious there, Rhino?” Applejack asked as she picked up the two fists, each one sprouting three prongs at the tip. “Ah dunno… ah don’t think ah’m very good with these.”

“That’s what I’m here for! What you got there is the furax. My personal favourite! Give it a go. You’ll love them!”

Rainbow had chosen a pair of automatic machine pistols that both she and her Tenno, Zephyr agreed on something that fires fast like them when on the move.

“Excellent choice, Rainbow Dash! These akstiletto are exactly what I would’ve picked myself.”

“They look pretty cool, too!” Rainbow agreed, moving the guns in her hands. “Just like me!”

“I value effectiveness over looks, Rainbow Dash. But I get you. These are pretty cool.”

Meanwhile, Pinkie was rapidly picking up, trying, then dropping any weapon she could lay her hands on while using Mirage’s copy ability to see how she looked.

“This is better than using a mirror!” she exclaimed while balancing a double ended polearm on her head. She did a twirl, spinning the weapon in her hands like a cheerleader’s baton before casually tossing it over her shoulder and trying out a weapon that turned out to be some kind of dart gun.
“Hey, watch where you’re throwing that,” Sunset said. The polearm had stabbed into the floor next to her foot, a testament to the sheer sharpness of the blade.

“Oops, sorry. It’s kinda hard to see in this thing…” as she spoke, Mirage’s helmet slid backward, rapidly collapsing into the neck and collar area with a hiss and a click, revealing Pinkie Pie’s surprised face.

“Should you wish to activate my helmet again, simply will it to return to your face. Just make sure to get used to the helmet, because I would not recommend retracting it during a firefight,” Pinkie's Tenno told her partner.

“Okie dokie, Mirage!” Pinkie beamed and went back to looking at the arsenal.

Rarity looked through the chaotic pile of weapons, looking for something nice.

“Not this one,” she said as she put a sword back on the table. “This one’s too heavy… this one’s too ugly… what is this thing?”

Rarity held an orange pulsating weapon that looked like it had tentacles coming out its front.

“That is a synapse. An infested weapon that used bio-organic energy,” Mag described.

“Bio-organic?” Rarity asked, remembering the word from her biology class. “You mean this thing is alive?”

“Yes…”

“Ew!” she squealed, dropping the synapse onto the ground, where it discharged a bolt of electricity, scorching the wall on the far right.

“Rarity!” Twilight said, looking at the blackened mark on the wall. “Be careful with those!”

Careful to avoid touching anything that looked remotely alive, Rarity scanned the piles before alighting on a curved weapon. After prodding it to make sure it wasn’t alive, to the annoyance of Mag, she picked it up and inspected it.

“What’s this one?” she asked her Tenno. “It’s beautiful!”

“That’s a paris, and before you ask, no. It’s not alive.”

Twilight walked over to check out the weapon Rarity picked up. “What you got there, Rarity? It looks like a bow.”

“Your friend is correct. The paris is a bow, but it doesn’t use a string to launch the arrows, but a powerful magnetic field.”

“Can we use this one?” Rarity inquired, holding up the paris and pretending to take aim.

“I don’t see why not, Rarity. Go ahead. It is yours.”

“YES!” Rarity shouted loudly, holding the bow high. She realized her friends were looking at her, and resumed her previous stance. “I mean… lovely!”

Pinkie went through more weapons, tossing a pair of saws behind her back. “Nope, not this one!”

She dove into a larger pile of weapons, disappearing beneath the sea of metal. Sunset Shimmer sifted through a different section, unsure of the best weapon to suit her.

“What do you think we should pick, Ember?” she asked.

“Something that compliments my abilities, like that one over there. The one with the gas tank and wires.”

Sunset looked at the strange weapon and picked it up. “What is it?”

“It’s called the ignis. It’s a flamethrower. The best choice for someone like me.”

“How does it compliment your powers, anyway?” Sunset queried. “What are you powers?”

“Fire.”

“Oh. Just fire?”

“Yes.”

“Is there… anything else?”

“No. Just fire.”

Sunset looked back at the ignis. “Yeah… if all your skills are fire, then what is the point of having this flamethrower?”

“So we can set things on fire.”

“But you just said all your skills are fire.”

“So?”

“So I think we should pick something different!”

“Fine… how about that one. The sword and shield.”

Sunset dropped the ignis and moved to the new set of weapons. “And what are these called?”

“This is the silva and aegis. Excellent in both attacks and defence.”

Sunset drew the sword out of the shield, and yelped as both burst into flames.

“And they’re also on fire.”

“No!” Sunset shouted, putting the weapon back on the table, just as Pinkie lunged out of the weapon pile to try it out. “Is there anything else? Something that’s maybe not on fire?”

“Well, you could try the heat swords.”

“These better not be on fire,” Sunset said as she picked up the swords.

“No, they’re not on fire.”

Rarity tapped Sunset on the shoulder, getting her attention. “Mag said those heat swords excel at dealing fire damage, and create a ring of fire when stabbed into the ground.”

“Tell Mag to mind her own business next time,” Ember barked.

“You know, Ember?” Sunset snapped. “Just let me pick this.”

Sunset put the heat swords down and moved over to a different pile. A weapon caught her eye. It was a sleek silver gun with a barrel made out of four prongs. The entire weapon was cold to the touch. She picked it up and tried aiming with it.

“This isn’t bad,” she acknowledged, feeling how well the weapon handled and looked. “What’s this one do, Ember?”

“That’s a glaxion. It fires a concentrated beam of ice, capable of freezing an enemy solid. Not a weapon I would pick, though. I would pick something with-”

“Let me guess…” Sunset sighed. “Fire.”

“Smart girl.”

“Well, I’m not having any of that. I’m taking this gun.”

“Suit yourself.”

Pinkie dropped the silva and aegis and moved to pick up a weapon that looked like a sickle. She swung it dangerously a few times before spawning two copies of herself and swinging the weapon together. “Nope! Not what I want!”

She tossed it with the rest of the weapons she tried out and headed to a table full of big, bulky guns. Twilight was next, searching through the weapons for something easy to use. She aimed her sights at a simple curving blade.

“A skana… really? Do you know anything about my Warframe at all?” Nyx sighed, disappointed at her forced partner.

“No…” she admitted.

“Then listen carefully, Twilight Sparkle. My Warframe is lightly armored. If you pick that weapon, we’ll be shredded in seconds.”

“Umm… okay then,” Twilight replied, leaving the sword as it was. “What do you suggest, then?”

“A newbie like you wouldn’t understand. But since you asked, I would prefer a ranged weapon.”

Twilight didn’t like the tone her Tenno partner had set, but as Princess Celestia told Nyx, she too was going to have to get used to it. “So, you mean a gun?”

“Unless you plan on throwing a sword, I suppose a gun would be ideal.”

Twilight sighed and looked to her friends. “Anyone have any ideas what weapon I should use?”

“Nope!” Pinkie happily said from her corner. “Still pickin’ mine!”

“Why?” Rainbow asked. “Is your Tenno not helping you out?”

“No…” Twilight said through clenched teeth. “She isn’t…”

“Well, Twilight,” Applejack began, getting into a thinking pose. “What are you comfortable with?”

“I don’t know,” Twilight admitted, raising her hands. “But swords are out of the question, because Nyx doesn’t want one.”

“How about that one?” Rainbow pointed towards a big gun with a boxy frame and glowing energy chamber. “That one looks powerful… and a bit heavy.”

“The supra… arguably one of the most useless guns in the entire arsenal. You can choose that, Twilight Sparkle. If you feel like missing every single target you aim at. Not that you’d have much trouble doing that anyway.”

“Uhh… no thanks, Rainbow,” Twilight said.

“How ‘bout that peashooter over there?” Applejack suggested, pointing at a large, bulbous weapon with a flared barrel. “Rhino says it’s quite the kick.”

“Perfect! That weapon there’s the ogris. Now take it, and aim it at the floor right between your feet. It’ll be a blast.”

“Are you sure?” Twilight asked, uncertainly. She picked up the ogris, which was much heavier than it looked.

“Yes, I’m certain. You’ll never get used to the weapon if you never fire it, you know?”

As Twilight’s finger closed around the trigger, Sunset ran into her from behind and pushed her away. As they fell to the floor, there was a small click from the ogris as the trigger depressed, and before she knew it, a massive smoking hole had been blasted in the wall, showering them all with crystal fragments.

“Woah, nelly! What was that?” Applejack yelled, still keeping a hand on her hat just in case.

“Is everyone alright?” Rarity asked, dusting debris off of her Warframe.

Twilight’s head was ringing. It took her a few moments to realize the ringing was Nyx laughing. “You did that on purpose!”

“You okay, Twilight?” Sunset asked as she helped her friend up. “Ember told me what the ogris did, just in time. What where you doing, pointing that gun at your feet?”

Resisting the urge to scream in frustration, Twilight instead brushed herself off and said, “Nothing. Nyx! You’re no help at all! Did you know that?”

Nyx said nothing and continued to laugh. Pinkie went over to pick up the ogris, but Rarity stopped her from trying it out. The pink girl just shrugged and went to check out the rest of the weapons.

“Maybe you should stay away from explosives,” Sunset advised. “I get the feeling your Tenno doesn’t like you very much.”

“Nooo… really?” Twilight shot back sarcastically.

“I still can’t believe you actually did it! What kind of a fool just decides to use a weapon without knowing what it does! Ha ha!”

“You told me to do that!” Twilight shouted at her partner.

“If I had known you would do everything I tell you, I would have told you to jump off a cliff.”

Remembering what Mirage had told Pinkie, Twilight retracted her helmet, feeling the air wash over her bare face. Now she could pick a weapon without Nyx interfering-

“I’m still here, you know? Putting down your helmet doesn’t change that.”

“I CAN’T DECIDE!” Twilight snapped, bringing her hands to her head.

“Sheesh, you’re a real pain, you know that? Fine. I’ll pick one. Take the sybaris. It’s that gun over there with the long barrel.”

“This one isn’t going to somehow backfire on me?” Twilight questioned, remembering all too well what the ogris had done. The hole was still in her wall.

"Yeah, this one doesn’t do anything special. It just shoots like a normal gun. If that’s too complicated for you, I’m sure we can pick something easier, like a stick you can hit your enemies with. We’ll probably die in the first few seconds, but hey, if you can’t handle yourself with a good weapon, then what choice do I have?”

Twilight carefully picked the gun up and checked it, aiming it well away from her feet.

Rarity pushed the barrel away from her face. “Do watch where you point that, dear.”

“Sorry, Rarity,” Twilight sighed, turning her gun away from her friends. “I think I’m a little stressed out with all that’s happened. Anyone know what this gun actually does?”

Twilight ignored Nyx as her Tenno told her it was just like any other gun.

Rainbow Dash landed in front of Twilight’s face. “Let me see that.”

Twilight handed the gun to Rainbow, who gave it a long look.

“Yeah, Zephyr said this thing is a rifle that fires in two shot bursts, whatever that means.”

“That means it fires two shots when ya pull the trigger,” Applejack called from across the room.

“Since when do you know this sort of thing, egghead?” Rainbow said, surprised.

“Ah didn’t,” she replied. “Rhino did. Although if ya ask me, two shot bursts does sound like it fires two shots.”

“Know it all…” Rainbow muttered. “Anyway, that’s what it does.”

She handed the gun back to Twilight, who decided that she’d had enough with searching for a good weapon. The sybaris was just going to have to do.

“Is there anything here like my party cannon?” Pinkie gasped, emerging from a pile of ordnance.

“What’s a party cannon?” Mirage asked.

“This!” Pinkie shouted to her Tenno, pulling it out from nowhere, sending a shower of confetti over the whole party.

“Aah… scattergun. Then I know exactly what you need. Although… you should have asked sooner. Would’ve saved us a lot of time. That one right there. The one with the grey barrel. It’s a lot like your party cannon. It spreads all kinds of fun and cheer among the enemy ranks.”

“Wow, really?” Pinkie asked excitedly, racing straight for the gun.

“And by fun and cheer, I mean multiple puncture wounds and mutilations.”

“Uhh…” Pinkie paused. “That’s not quite what I-”

“Fun for us. Not for them. C’mon, trust me.”

“Oh, okay!” Pinkie shrugged, taking the gun and hopping back to her friends.

“Well, I guess that’s everyone!” Rainbow Dash said, looking around the room.

“Not everyone…”

“Trinity is still unarmed and therefore, is unprepared to face the Grineer threat,” Mag said to Rarity.

Fluttershy fidgeted where she stood. “I… I’m okay with being unarmed…”

“I’m not,” Trinity reminded.

“I-I thought we were going to be healing people?” she asked her companion. “I don’t n-need a w-weapon for that do I?”

“No… but if an enemy gets close to you, what are you going to do? Heal it to death?”

“I-I-I… don’t…”

“Look. While I respect your decision to be a pacifist, that sort of thinking just isn’t going to work on the battlefield. Even if you are a healer. The enemy isn’t going to show you any mercy, just because you’re unarmed. In fact, if you’re unarmed, they’d probably target you first. You’ll get no chances from the Grineer. And besides, just because you picked up the weapon doesn’t necessarily mean you have to use it, right?”

“I guess not…” Fluttershy nodded slowly.

She took a few shaky steps towards the weapons table, looking around for something that didn’t look too violent. Rainbow Dash introduced her to a few blades, but they were all too sharp for the pink haired girl. Rarity brought Fluttershy to a wall of elegant weapons, telling her how beautifully crafted the weapons were. One caught the shy girl’s eyes.

“That stick looks rather harmless…” she pointed, showing her friends a long staff, blunt on both sides, she picked it up and held it tightly, moving it from side to side.

“Well, I suppose you can take that, Fluttershy. It might suit you better than a skana or kama. It’s a well-balanced weapon, capable of dishing out blows pretty quickly. It’s called the bo, and it’s not a stick. It’s a staff.”

“I-I’m good to go…” Fluttershy stuttered.

“Well, I guess that’s it then!” Twilight cheered, recovered from her ordeal with Nyx. “Now I guess we need to practice with these.”

Before anyone said anything else, a little warning siren played out within their Warframes. Twilight and Pinkie brought their helmets back up just as Princess Celestia, wearing her Lotus mask, appeared on all their HUDs.

“Bad news,” she told them. “The Grineer have been sighted once more. This time, they’re heading towards your school.”

“Guess we better stop them,” Rainbow Dash heroically stated.

“But… what about practice?” Fluttershy asked, trying to find an excuse to get away from a fight.

“No practice like field practice. Come on. Let’s go.”

With varying degrees of willingness, the Rainbooms filed back through the mirror and to Canterlot High, ready to see if they were suited for the rage of war.

Author's Note:

This one sure took some time, but here it is. :rainbowkiss: Hope you enjoy it! There's gonna be fighting in the next chapter. You know it! So stay tuned. :pinkiehappy:

PreviousChapters Next