• Published 12th Apr 2015
  • 3,285 Views, 319 Comments

A Rift Between Worlds - Cinders of War



When Equestria and the human world come under attack from a deadly new foe, Princess Celestia must reawaken one of Equestria’s oldest and most well kept secrets to keep both worlds from losing it all. This time, friendship alone won’t be enough.

  • ...
11
 319
 3,285

PreviousChapters Next
Chapter 23: The Void

The Rainbooms exited the portal after saying goodbye to Twilight and the princesses, Home Run, Flash Sentry, and Trixie following behind them.

“Trixie does not understand this Warframe business,” the blue girl dusted her dress. “How does she activate this thing?”

Out of nowhere, her Warframe materialized over her, sensing her commands. The black and white suit completely formed over her as an arm reached up over its head and tipped its hat to Home Run and Flash.

“Limbo.”

“Aaaalright…” Flash looked at Home Run, who just shrugged at him. They expected more than just his name. “Nice to have you working with us, Limbo. You… still alright in there, Trixie?”

“Trixie is fine.” The Limbo suddenly started moving awkwardly as the magician began checking out how the suit works. “This is truly fascinating! Trixie must master this trick!”

She headed off on her own, investigating the suit's arms and legs.

"Guess I should get going too." Flash headed in another direction, giving the group a wave. "See you guys tomorrow!"

"What a day, right?" Sunset let out a little chuckle as they headed off. "A good way to end the week."

“Not really…” Fluttershy shook her head slowly. “I wish I never see that Stalker again.”

“Yes, me too,” Rarity agreed. “I’ve been sleeping rather poorly as of late because of it.”

“Well, we’re still not goin’ to get any rest any time soon,” Applejack sighed as she flicked a piece of debris off her hat. “Tomorrow’s gonna be another busy day.”

The others nodded in agreement. Tomorrow, Rainbow, Rarity, Pinkie, and Fluttershy were heading to the Void, hopefully to find something which would give them an edge over their mysterious adversary. All the others had to do was find more pilots to face the Stalker until the others returned with the advanced Warframes.

No pressure, Home Run thought as the group headed away from the statue. The others began parting ways and heading home, deciding on a much needed rest.

"It's a pity," Rainbow slapped the blue haired boy on the back. "We didn't quite get to show anyone how awesome I was."

"Yeah," Home Run gave her a weak chuckle. "Well, what's next? You want to get some food some time? Just us?"

"Oh, Home Run... About that..." Rainbow rubbed the back of her multi-coloured hair. "You see, I'm not really... interested in a relationship. I thought this dance was just for fun. I think it’s safe to say most of us go for events like this just to hang out."

"Wait... What?" Home Run was baffled. He wanted to say something, but he found nothing coming out of his mouth but a little squeak.

"I'm... I'm focusing on sports for now," she admitted. "I don't want anything else distracting me, you know?"

"I see..." He must've let something show on his face, because the athlete walked to him and gave him a hug.

"I'm sorry, slugger. It's not your fault. You're a nice guy and all, but I'd like to keep extra distractions away, at least until I can get into the Wonderbolts. Then we can talk about going steady, alright? Still friends, yeah?"

Home Run sighed, but in the end, it had to be this way. "Yeah. Sure. Still friends, captain. I understand."

"Glad you get it, slugger, and don't worry! I'm sure you'll find the girl of your dreams one day!" Rainbow Dash skipped ahead and waved back to him before activating Zephyr. "Well, I'll see you around!"

With a blast of wind, the girl was off, zooming down the streets like a bolt of lightning.

"That didn't turn out *bzzzzt* the way I thought," Vauban's voice appeared. "You going to be alright there, Home Run?"

"I'll be fine," he managed a smile. This was what the captain wanted, and what else could he do. But it was fine. He was going to be optimistic and look ahead. After all, they had a dangerous mission before them. He didn't want to mess up because he couldn't handle his feelings. "Let's go home, buddy..."


Four of the girls stood within Princess Celestia's underground sanctum as she use her magic to power up a small generator, shaped like a capsule. The gears inside began spinning and hissing steam, but before they knew it, a whole piece of wall had begun sliding to the side, revealing a square piece of metal with a human-like shape indented into it.

"Are we supposed to fit ourselves in that?" Pinkie asked excitedly, hopping forward to check it out. "So what happens? Do we-"

The pink girl had placed herself in the indent before Celestia could explain anything to them. With the click of metal, the entire wall revolved around, swallowing Pinkie before turning back to face the others with an empty indent once again.

"Yes," Celestia chuckled as Pinkie's excited voice could be heard from within. "The liset will take you to the Void. Now go, one at a time. I will be monitoring you from my visor, so don't worry. Just be careful. I don't want to lose you four too. And take this," the alicorn handed them a void key. “You'll need this to open the vault doors. I wish I had them when I was there... Make sure to look after each other in there. The occupants won't take well to your presence.”

“You can count on us, princess!” Rainbow mock saluted and took the key before hopping over to the entrance.

Rarity made sure Fluttershy went next, not wanting her pink haired friend to have a change of mind after looking at the door. “It’ll be fine, darling. Just walk up to it and it’ll bring you right in.”

“A-alright…”

There was a slight squeak as the door swung around, sending Fluttershy into the belly of the ship. Rarity was next, joining the other three girls inside the shiny vertical spacecraft, looking at its amazing interior. There were consoles outlining the front and sides of the ship, while a sort of panel opened up to a small room in the back, housing what looked like equipment and weapons for them to use.

“This is so cool!” Rainbow Dash squeezed her head as she dashed from console to console.

As the girls looked at their new transport, a click of gears signaled that the ship was turning. Soon, they found themselves standing upright, properly looking at everything around them.

“Here we go!” Rainbow whooped as she headed to the front.

“Where are the seats?” Rarity asked, putting a hand on one of the consoles to support herself as the ship began rumbling.

Oh, we don’t have seats,” Mag replied. “We’ve never needed them.

“Oh. So… how are we going to hold on?”

Easy. Just leave the controls to us.

The girls’ Warframes folded out and took over, sitting themselves down on their knees around the center of the ship.

“I-is this s-safe?” Fluttershy trembled as the craft around them began leaving ground, quickly gaining altitude.

Of course it is!” Trinity reassured. “Don’t worry. We got you covered. I’ve never let you down, have I?

“I suppose not…” There was a loud ‘eeep’ as the liset sped off into the sky, the sudden change in pace startling the pink haired girl. She would’ve probably flown back if not for Trinity, her Tenno partner keeping her firmly rooted to the floor. “T-thanks, Trinity.”

They looked out the front window, watching with amazement as the liset tore through the atmosphere, the scenery changing from white to blue, then to black within minutes. It was like they were in the night sky, zooming around in the blackness of space, their liset kept company only by the millions of stars that made space their home.

“Fascinating,” Rarity turned her head. “Truly fascinating. Too bad Twilight’s not here. She would love to see this.”

You haven’t seen anything yet,” Mag told them. “Just hang on. We’re about to enter the Void.

Zehpyr raised an arm and slotted the void key into a slot by the front console. Immediately, the liset took off through space, flying so fast that the stars looked like lasers around them.

“So cool!” Rainbow pressed at her cheeks. “Awesome!”

Finally, like a candy breaking out of its wrapper, the liset stopped, this time, the scenery around them was glowing green, along with spectral shapes floating all around them.

Welcome to the Void,” Trinity said.

PreviousChapters Next