• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 452 Views, 5 Comments

Natureshy: RotE Episode 11 - Dream Volt



Fluttershy deals with deer, Discord, and some strange magical pony she's never met before.

  • ...
 5
 452

Facing Judgement

Rarity looked at Wynn, then back at Acorn. Sky and I were next to him, while Trixie and Rarity were near Acorn. Trixie was glaring, but not at anything in particular. We were in Wynn's field.

"Trixie still doesn't understand why she should be left behind because the fabulous but not that skilled Rarity failed."

"Yes, I must agree." Said Rarity "It isn't fair to Trixie for me to hold her back."

Trixie blinked, then hugged Rarity. "You are Trixie's best friend ever. Trixie knows that was a dumb thing to say but…"

"I really do lack your skills darling, and you did call me fabulous."

"The point." Said Acorn "Is that perhaps you trying to help Rarity will also help with your own lessons."

"I will teach you." Said Wynn. "In fact yesterday was more successful than I would have thought. But I was never who Fluttershy really needed to learn from. Also Silent Sky you may also benefit, but I can not be sure they will be willing."

"As long as I can escort her I'm satisfied."

"I would expect nothing else. I must take them myself this first time, and will be gone the day, but I am sure I will be free the remainder of your visit."

"Trixie can't argue with that. I mean Trixie is great and powerful, but she is still just a mortal. Surely you know at least a trick or two even I don't."

"Well in that case I will just have to keep trying to master this folding space nonsense without your generous aid. I fear my problem is simply large enough it will take a god to deal with it."

Wynn frowned. "I like that term even less than Celestia. Calling me immortal is no issue, it is the truth but…"

Rairty bowed. "So sorry. I meant no offence."

"Of course not." He smiled. "Such talk still vexes me, regardless of intent. Now come, I do not wish this journey to take longer than it must. Follow quickly."

Then he bounded off. I think he could have gone much faster, but it was still hard to keep up. I think Trixie and Rarity said something, maybe goodbye, but I wasn't sure. I had to fly to even have a chance, and if I didn't pass through the trees with my magic I don't think I would have been able to keep up. Wynn could have bounded through the trees the same way if he wished, but he never did. I never lost him though, and Sky was just a bit in front of me. I don't know how long it took but at some point Wynn suddenly stopped. Sky and I both landed next to him. It didn't look special at all, except there were a lot of trees around.

"This is our destination?" asked Sky

"Almost. Follow me closely."

Wynn then slowly wove in-between the trees, his antlers getting incredibly close, but never getting caught. I really hoped I didn't have to do this every day. I'd never remember all of this. I didn't even know where we were in general. Then suddenly we were in a clearing full of bright sunlight on one side, and dark shadows on the other. I looked up and even the sky seemed to be divided, but there was no sun or moon. There were lights like in the rest of the white wood on the dark side, so it wasn't all dark. In the center was a ring of mushrooms and flowers. Wynn stepped around the ring, then stopped and turned around on the far side.

"I Wynn of Cervidia stand here today as arbiter. Fluttershy of the pegasi of Equestria, step into the circle."

"That is not a good idea." Said Sky

"She doesn’t really have much choice." Said Chrysalis.

"Sadly she's right." Said a new voice.

It was a faint voice, hard to hear, but clear. Like a tiny bird's song. Chrysalis steeped out of the dark, a smile on her face. I then turned to other side and a tiny little pony came out. She was a pale grey with pale green hair. She had wings every color of the rainbow and to my amazement really was as tiny as she looked. Just like Chrysalis she had little antenna that stuck out of her head and even had a tiny little crown. Hers was made of polished wood with a few tiny green gems in it. She was also thin and spindly, almost like the breezies that sometimes came though Ponyville, but not quite as extreme. Her mane cascaded down over both eyes making it hard to be even sure they were there, much less what color they were. I think they might have been blue. Chrysalis's eyes were dragon like and green again. I wonder why they looked different in the maze last night?

"Address the ring please." Said Wynn

"Of course." Said the tiny pony. "I am Princess Vhispy Villow of the Everfree Breezies. I am here to represent the Glimmering Court."

"Yes, yes." Said Chrysalis, waving a hoof. "And I Queen Chrysalis represent my people in the Shadowed Court. I stand here to represent both."

Whispy blinked "That isn't right. You didn't say…"

"I don't have to."

"It is you." Said Sky

"Yes. Tell my errant son hi for me. Oh, and while you're at it you could mention I don't even want to kill him anymore." She then laughed

"What?" I then covered my mouth.

"We come here today with a purpose." Said Wynn "The test must be administered."

"The Glimmering court has already run our tests. Ve say…"

"The Shadowed court as always accepts the validity of the goody two wings tests, and waives our right to challenge." Then Chrysalis blinked, focusing on Whispy for the first time since she arrived. "Wait, she passed them all right?"

"Yes she passed but…"

Chrysalis looked away again. "Then I don't care and neither does the shadowed court."

"I vish to ask a concession. In the past the dark fey tests have been especially harsh. Ve would ask…"

"Denied."

"But I haven't even finished asking. Ve are willing to trade a concession if Fluttershy is given a certain amount of…"

"Once again you light have missed something important. She passed."

"You already gave her one of the tests?"

"No, all of them, or equivalents. I left our little meeting yesterday because an opportunity, no matter how detestable the horridly mismatched source, presented itself. She passed, and a second test administered while she slept. Do you wish contest their validity?"

"Uh, maybe." Whispy blinked. "She looks fine but…"

"The princess of the moon, Luna of Equestria is one witness. Rarity and Trixie of Equestira, a pair of Unicorns witnessed Fluttershy stop the ursa."

"I was there too." Said Sky

"You don't count." Said Chrysalis

"Because you're her sister." Said Whispy. "Sorry, but true. I am guessing ve don't wish to contest those vitnesses. So does that mean ve get to perform the ritual?"

Wynn cleared his throat. "Any members of the shadowed court present may object, but as no others are here yes, you may both proceed."

"Um, is this going to hurt?" I asked

"I don't think so." Said Whispy.

"If anything quite the opposite." Chrysalis smiled. "Though that's probably just a story."

"Uh what do you mean by…" I began

"By the court of Glimmering Summer." Said Whispy

"By the court of Shadowed Winter." Said Chrysalis

"I have a bad feeling." I muttered

"By my authority as arbiter." Added Wynn

"Be judged."

All three said it as one. A bright light erupted from the ground below me, and that was it. I also felt a strange tickling sensation. Chrysalis was smiling, and Whispy probably was but was a little far away right now for me to be sure.

"Uh, was that it?"

Wynn nodded. "Yes. The ritual has completed and the mantle has been passed. Stand tall Fluttershy, queen of queens."

Chrysalis gave a short bow. "The shadowed court delights in your rule."

"The shimming court is pleased to serve you."

The grass was very soft.

Author's Note:

I'm a touch hard on Fluttershy in some ways, aren't I? Also I tried my best to get the breezy accent right, but I acutally orriginally wrote most of Whispy's dialog before breezies showed in FiM so she it was sort of a quick hack job. Not that I published it of course, but I wrote most of this a while ago.