• Published 4th Apr 2015
  • 453 Views, 5 Comments

Natureshy: RotE Episode 11 - Dream Volt



Fluttershy deals with deer, Discord, and some strange magical pony she's never met before.

  • ...
 5
 453

Arrival

Rarity was the only one behind me in the dark forest. It wasn't as spooky as the Everfree, but the trees still cut out almost all the light even though the sun was right overhead when we entered not that long ago. I stopped again and Rarity sighed.

"Really darling, Celestia herself assured us this wood was protected by deer. Nothing is going to hurt us. Not to mention there is little between the two of us we can't handle if it came to it."

"I'm sorry Rarity. I know it's silly, it's just this whole thing seems really scary."

"I admit a diplomatic mission with just the two of us after that last fiasco with Pinkie seems to be a miscalculation, but on the other hoof perhaps a smaller party will do better. Also frankly lacking a certain party pony may be for the best."

"She didn't mean to upset all those other countries."

"Oh of course not, but while Pinkie may know friendship, diplomacy is not so simple. Elegance and class are the order of the day, and a soft reasoned touch is the ideal way to work your way through a negotiation."

"But our friends…"

"Dash and Applejack speak their minds quite clearly at all times. The former because she is too lazy to lie often, the later because she chooses to live a life of honesty. Twilight is actually quite the adroit politician, if only she had a little more practice dealing with actual ponies rather than merely reading about theory."

"I thought you said you would have liked her to come?"

"Oh of course darling. I mean experience must come from somewhere, and I'm sure there is a great deal she knows about the deer neither of us know."

I looked away. "Actually I talk to the deer in Whitetail woods all the time. Well not all the time, they always find me but…"

"Oh, yes. You've mentioned this before, haven't you?" She laughed. "How forgetful of me. That must be why you are in charge of this little jaunt."

I nodded, then started walking again. It was so much pressure. It was supposed to be really easy since Celestia and Wynn had been friends a very long time and we just have to show up and talk to him a little bit since Celestia was too busy to come herself right now. There were deer all over, but Cervidia was a small country and the deer tried to stay neutral if they possibly could so Celestia had other more volatile leaders to visit. I then heard a "tut, tut" from behind me.

"Now really Fluttershy, stop that shivering. There is nothing to worry about. In fact I think the main reason the princess sent us here is to give us a chance to get to know these wonderfully magical and cultured folk."

"That's what I'm afraid of."

"Hmmm, whatever could you mean?"

"I mean Celestia said at some point she would send me to the deer to learn more about my magic. She didn't say that's why she sent me but…"

"Ah, of course. I really think this is utterly ridiculous of you. I mean you like those butterflies of yours don't you? Also while clearly there aren't many things I can teach you we've both enjoyed your lessons."

I nodded. "Even the failures were fun with you. It's nice."

"There you go, and I'm still here with you. In fact the deer are masters of all sorts of magic so perhaps we can even learn together. Won't that be fun?"

I was smiling, when suddenly I felt something and my butterflies were surrounding us. They were gently glowing pink magic, but looked just like real butterflies otherwise. Just peeking out of the edge of the path we had been following were several deer, all female. There was a legend that once only males had antlers, and not all the time, but I'd never seen any deer without them. The males did seem to have much bigger antlers for some reason though. Maybe that meant something. I gave a sigh of relief and the butterflies vanished. I was worried we were somehow in the wrong place, but finally our guides had found us, and would lead us to the capital.