• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 4,080 Views, 577 Comments

Memoirs of a Magic Earth Pony - The Lunar Samurai



My name is Starswirl and I am an earth pony. This book is simply a collection of memoirs about my life. It details my work in theoretical magic, and the events surrounding my rise to fame and fall to exile. This is my life.

  • ...
15
 577
 4,080

XXXIX: Draft

“And done!” Evenstar said as he lifted his hoof from the envelope. “Now for the Academy to see what we have discovered.” We had worked through the night to draft the letter for review. Now the first rays of light were scattering through the dust in the laboratory.

“So what’s next?” Amethyst asked as she looked at the envelope. “Do we just wait for a response?”

“Well, in theory, yes. However, once the Academy realizes what we have stumbled across, we may be called to give a presentation on our findings. I was asked to present when I discovered the MBU, and I assume they will be interested in our development of this system as well.” His gaze drifted to me. “I think they’ll be very interested in finding out how an earth pony come up with this. It might help your race establish some presence in the world of magic after all.”

“Yeah,” I muttered as I turned my attention back to Amethyst. She was still fixated on the small note that contained the fruits of our recent labor. “So we just mail it?”

“Indeed we do. However, while it’s in transit, we can continue our work on the Analog equations.” Evenstar turned to the board.

At the mention of the equations, I remembered the philosophers and their algebraic discovery. “Why do you call them equations?”

“Well, at the end of the day, there will be a set of equations that will finally describe what we’ve been searching for.”

“Well, why is it just an equation? Isn’t it something more?”

“What do you mean, Starswirl?”

“Well, you had me reading this book about algebra’s development. They develop the concept of algebra pretty fast. The rest of the story is about how it impacts the world. I think… I think your Analog equations are like that.”

Evenstar smiled a smile of pure gratitude. “Starswirl, I cannot, for the life of me, fathom the impacts that my work may hold. I will be gone long before my lowly equations change mathematics. The philosophers who toiled over Algebra died long before their ideas took hold. We’re on the threshold of something great, but it’s a greatness that you or I will likely never witness.”

As you can imagine, I was rather shocked at this statement. It felt as though Evenstar had given up on himself and yet was ready to accomplish his goal all the same. It wasn’t something I would be able to swallow with such a concept. I wanted to see the world change. I had this burning desire to watch my life affect millions more. Somewhere in my soul though, I knew Evenstar was right. Facing that inevitable obscurity would become one of the most impossibly difficult things I would ever face. It would come in many different flavors.

“So you’re saying we’re not going to see what other researchers will be doing with limits either?” Amethyst asked.

“No, I’m saying I might not,” Evenstar said with a sigh. “I’m already old as it is. It will take several years for the limit to start being used in theoretical magic. I’m afraid I might not be around for the several years to witness it.”

Amethyst and I exchanged an uneasy glance. This was the first time Evenstar had acknowledged his age, and it was rather disconcerting to us.

“It’s been quite a while since I’ve seen an old stallion talk about death after galloping around a room,” Amethyst said.

Evenstar chuckled. “You’ve got me there, but I fear I may soon see my own body fail me.”

“Evenstar,” I started as I watched his entire persona droop. “What’s gotten into you?”

“To be honest, I’m not entirely sure. I believe it has something to do with how you were able to see the answer to the limit so clearly. It’s been ages since I’ve had an epiphany like that. As time goes on, I fear I may find myself trapped in a state where my mind will begin to fail me as well.”

The entire room fell silent as the implications of his words began to rot his research. If Eventstar’s mind began to fade, all of the progress he had made toward the Analog equations would be lost as well. Neither Amethyst nor I wanted that. It was the first time that Evenstar had ever even subtly hinted at the notion that he may fall short of his goal.

“Evenstar, listen to yourself,” Amethyst said. “You’re just about to put in a letter to the Academy to ask for a peer review on a system that has the potential to change math as we know it.”

Evenstar’s gaze drifted between the two of us. His eyes were asking a question, a question to himself. It felt like he was holding something back, trying to keep something hidden.

“Is something wrong?” I asked.

“Not necessarily,” he said with a heavy sigh. “I suppose we should start working on the analog equations as soon as possible. We may not have much time.”

I shot a glance toward Amethyst who was doing the same to me. “Well,” I started, “Let’s get to work then.”

Evenstar stepped over to the chalk board and motioned for Amethyst to follow. He seemed to walk slower than before. If that was from his possible physical decay or from his own mental burden, I cannot say. His words still carried their usual power. “Go ahead and erase the work on the limits. We’ve come to understand them well. However, leave the first thing you wrote, the revelation of Starswirl. From now on, I’d like that to remain.”

“I think that’s a good idea,” Amethyst said as she began to erase the weeks of work. “Keeping mementos of success can really help lighten the mood.”

“This isn’t about the success, Amethyst. I’m not through with it. I believe the limits, their fundamental nature and their manipulation of infinity may prove worthwhile in our research.” Evenstar’s confidence induced a swelling pride in my chest. I had done something that benefited their work in spite of my limitations. However, that feeling of pride was immediately met with a feeling of despair, for I knew would never be able to surmount those problems.

“What do you mean?” Amethyst asked as she placed the eraser back on the tray.

“Well, I believe infinitesimals may prove useful in our description of slope. I’m not sure how, and I’m not sure why, but I have a hunch. If I’m correct, the Analog Equations are much closer than we realize. Now all we have to do is figure out how they work.”

The room fell silent as Evenstar stared at the board before him. My description of the limit was something that had marked him. His curiosity about the nature of infinity was beginning to become rather apparent. This was a make or break moment. Not this exact time, mind you, but rather this was beginning of his final stretch. His acknowledgement of his decay was his final hoorah. With every minute that ticked away, our work became more focused A bit more frantic as well.

Evenstar spoke up, requesting that Amethyst begin writing down the equations that he would fire off. The routine was typical for our laboratory, and it was one that rarely involved my participation. Aside from the limit research, I had little place in their system. They would devise the proofs, argue over formula, and generally disregard the situation. I never protested for that would be out of line on my part, but the lack of inclusion was rather saddening at times.

So, after I had completed the typical chores, I continued reading about algebra. It quickly became apparent that as their research tapered off, so did their wellbeing. It wasn’t initially obvious whether or not they outlived their work of if it outlived them, but as I read on, the message became clear. Their work was something that only grew in magnitude as time went on. To be honest, they thought they saw the ultimate end to their achievements, as the world began to embrace the concepts of algebra, but it was only the starting point. From there, their research began to push mathematics and magic into a new era of understanding.

Never before in my life had I felt so conflicted about such an accomplishment. They were able to bask in the glory of their discoveries, but they were also completely unaware of what would unfold in the future because of their work. I turned my attention back to Evenstar, just like I had the day before, as the two worked. I realized that he bore a striking similarity to the philosophers.

However, as I tried to ponder those notions, I realized my mind craved something else entirely: sleep. I had been up all night, helping the duo when I could to draft the letter. Now that my work was done, I let my head begin to nod. It wasn’t a voluntary action. I wanted to stay awake and continue my assignment, but alas, sleep prevailed.

As consciousness faded into blissful darkness I let my gaze rest on Amethyst. Her diligence only brought more sleep to my mind. It was a gentle calling, but one that finally pulled me away from reality and into my mind. However, as my eyes closed, the image of Amethyst remained. It was fixated on her, for some reason, and I had no problem with such a circumstance.

Author's Note:

I told you I was crazy. Day 2 of daily releases is done!