• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 4,076 Views, 577 Comments

Memoirs of a Magic Earth Pony - The Lunar Samurai



My name is Starswirl and I am an earth pony. This book is simply a collection of memoirs about my life. It details my work in theoretical magic, and the events surrounding my rise to fame and fall to exile. This is my life.

  • ...
15
 577
 4,076

LIV: Fog

I cannot say how long that concept drifted through my mind, but it was a peculiar experience all the same. Just as I had done with the limit, I had a feeling this was much more than a certain kind of function.

Amethyst and I went about our research reverently as we pondered how to employ that function. We would alternate between asking questions and answering them, bouncing ideas between ourselves until the idea had changed altogether hours later. We grew weary as we trudged through the same concepts time and again. Despite our initial fervor, we slowly came to the realization that our questions were only spurring more questions rather than conclusive answers.

Finally, after several hours of circular discussion, Amethyst broke our rhythm.

“Starswirl, I can’t think straight anymore.” Her complaint echoed my own disdain and as I looked to the increasing sloppiness of the equations on the board. I realized our work’s fruitfulness was waning.

“It is getting late,” I said with a yawn. “Maybe we can pick this up tomorrow?”

Amethyst nodded slowly as her eyes began to droop. We were both tired, but I knew that I wasn’t going to fall asleep any time soon. Amethyst stepped over to the fireplace and stoked the embers back to life. “Come here,” she said, her voice barely above a whisper.

Her command was just strong enough to pull my gaze from the board to her eyes. The sparkling orange fire across that royal sea gently made everything else matter just a bit less.

“You’ve been overworking yourself. Come rest for the night,” she said as she lowered herself to the floor.

I wanted to take a second glance at the math, to pull myself from my trance long enough to make a rational decision, but my mind was already trapped in her gaze. I stepped to her side and hesitated as I began to let my head rest on her side. When she didn’t protest, I relaxed. I drifted up and down as her breathing slowed, and as my eyes drooped I thought for a moment about how peaceful the world was. There was no pressure to perform, no expectations to meet; only the two of us in front of the fire.

“I think we’re onto something,” Amethyst muttered, my head jostling as she spoke.

“Hmmm?”

“Our research… you know… with the shell?”

“Oh, right,” I muttered, my eyes still closed in contentment.

“I can’t help but feel that there’s something more to this than just a simple spell.”

“What?”

“I don’t know… I can’t place it, but I can feel it.” I wasn’t sure if her comment was founded in some sort of epiphany or a tired mind beginning to forget parts of reality. Regardless, I knew my mind was fading as well, so I let the statement hang in the air as the world drifted away.

I’m not sure what stirred me from my sleep, but I awoke from my rest in a stupor of revelation. My dream, though I have long since forgotten its specifics, had begged a question that I hadn’t considered before. And, as always happens with dreams, that question immediately began to slip my mind. With all the urgency my mind could muster, I rose from my place and stumbled to the table. My eyes lazily gazed across the surface seeking to find something I could use to record the thought as it decayed by the second. I’m not sure when I picked up the quill, or how I was able to write in such a delirious state, but I will be forever grateful that I did.

As I placed the quill back on the table and the urgency faded from my mind, I could no longer recall the revelation, all I could do was quietly whisper the line back to myself. “Answer isn’t number.” Fortunately, I was only just able to read. Otherwise I might have tried to rewrite my sentence and risk the valuable revelation held in its broken syntax.

I stood in silence as I let my mind get lost in the room once more. It was peaceful like usual, and, as always, it began to lull me to sleep. Without somepony else working in the laboratory, it never drew me to discover much. I had always been encouraged by Evenstar or Amethyst, even when they simply stood in the corner and tended to their own business.

I looked to Amethyst as she slept peacefully by the fire. Her side gently rose and fell as the fire cast a flickering shadow behind her. She was content; this was everything she had ever wanted in her life. She was moving the way she had always wanted to go to a destination that she always knew was there. I’m not sure why my mind drifted to such a thought, but it forced me to reflect on my own path. I had no idea what I was doing, and furthermore, I had no concept of where I was going. Every day was a new revelation, and despite how much I enjoyed such a stimulating life, it was beginning to grow wearisome.

She was heading the way she had always wanted to go to the destination she always knew was there.

When you chase something, it’s fun at first. It makes you think of what might happen in the future, of how your catch might suddenly change your life. It doesn’t cross your mind that your goal might not be achievable. However, after a while you begin to notice how much effort you’re spending on this chase. The novelty wears off to reveal the truth of the matter: you might not catch it.

That feeling began to dawn on me as I looked around the room. The circled equation to Evenstar’s long mathematical journey had only revealed a half answer to his question. I realized that this too may be my fate. It was terrifying. I wasn’t in a state to fully understand it, nor was I able to rationalize any lasting decision, but it was a feeling that would become rather common in my life. In the wee hours of the morning, as my mind drifted in state of loose consciousness, I was forced to face the thought that I might not succeed.

Everything else from that moment on is a blur. Through the haze of comforting sleep, I remember Amethyst, the room around me, and the small stars that glistened outside the window.

I blinked and it was day.

Author's Note:

One month for a thousand words, my goodness how have I dropped this low. I finally found the time to finish this, but I have to say I'm really sorry about the delay. I really hate not being able to deliver on my promises, and my writing is no exception. I'm doing my best to get back to 1:1 chapter to week parity, but I'll have to roll with the punches of this semester.