• Published 2nd Apr 2015
  • 4,076 Views, 577 Comments

Memoirs of a Magic Earth Pony - The Lunar Samurai



My name is Starswirl and I am an earth pony. This book is simply a collection of memoirs about my life. It details my work in theoretical magic, and the events surrounding my rise to fame and fall to exile. This is my life.

  • ...
15
 577
 4,076

VI. Decisions

I was journeying into a world of the unknown. I had no idea what would become of me if I dared to enter the realm of the unicorns, that class that always has been above me. Part of my yearned for the freedom to learn that secret art of the unicorns, but that same part was fearful of the prospect of blazing my own trail in life.

Evenstar was right, I had chosen cereal production for its security, and that was the one thing that I had wanted all of my life. I wanted a life that I could be assured would be uneventful and yet still grand. I knew it would be impossible to create such a life for myself, but I wanted to try. I still had that invincibility of youth that fueled my optimistic hope, but it was beginning to crumble.

The options that lay before were infuriatingly simple. I could continue on doing the same thing that every other earth pony had done, or I could choose to venture off into the unknown and watch the assurance of my future crumble before me.

The night was still young, and my mind was taking full advantage of that fact. I was ready to make my decision. I withdrew a small piece of paper from my desk and wrote my two fates on its surface. Magic or farming, that was the question that began swirling around in my mind. I had to choose, there was no way around that fact.

I started jotting down different advantages underneath each word. Things like stability, normal, and availability immediately fell into place beneath farming. It was natural for me to remember all of the good facets of that life that society had told me to live. Underneath magic, I couldn’t write a single word. Another burst of mental power forced me to write down things like knowable, possible, within reach. My mind kept recalling everything I had been fed so many times before. I continued to jot down those descriptors, trying to milk the topics for all they were worth, but all I could do was write down the advantages of staying in that rut society had placed me in. There was nothing my mind could conjure up to support my magical desires.

I knew what I wanted, but my brain still needed convincing it was the right idea. I wanted to develop spells, to create something that could seemingly bend society, but I had nothing to support my desires. Farming was what I had been raised to do, a skill that I was always told to foster. As the unicorns had studied their magic, so was I supposed to study agriculture.

I took a moment to look at the page before me. I knew what I wanted, but there wasn’t a single piece of information to support it. The column underneath magic was blank, while the one beneath farming was filled to the brim. I had been forced to write the rest of the advantages sideways in the margins of the paper, and yet there wasn’t a single one that fell underneath magic. I couldn’t think of a single reason to pursue it.

I lifted my pen once more and, in an act of what I could only call defiance, I wrote two words beneath magic. I couldn’t think of a reason, it was impossible for me to justify my desires, but I knew in my heart what I was supposed to pursue. With a precise motion of my hoof, I penned ‘This is your destiny’ underneath magic. I didn’t have reason other than a gut feeling, and it terrified me, but a feeling deeper still was the assurance that my curiosity would be satisfied.

I withdrew another piece of paper and began to pen a letter to the Council. I knew that the only way I could change my major would be to go to the Council directly. The protocol was simple enough. Write a paper of any length explaining my desire to switch majors, and present it to the Council. The only question now, was how to start.

Dear Council

“No,” I whispered as I struck through the line.

To the Council,

My name is Starswirl and I would like a chance to have a position in the advanced magic class under professor Evenstar to pursue a degree in ma-

“Keep it concise!” I muttered as I crumpled the page and withdrew another.

To the Council,

I have recently discovered that my education should be centered in the field of Magic. I am requesting permission to change my major from Cereal Production to Theoretical Magic.

I sat back and looked at those words. I was penning my own manifesto.

A few days ago, I received my cutie mark after accurately forming a 3 dimensional mental world and manipulating a cluster of stars in it. This is not out of mere happenstance, but rather because it is my calling to pursue magic. I know I can excel in the theoretical magic program here, and I am willing to put forth the effort to ensure that I succeed. I have talent in the area of magic and I am excited about how I can help advance the latest theories of magic. I believe I will have a unique perspective on the inner workings of magical phenomena.

I read over that short paragraph that would become my declaration of who I was to become. I was ready to face the challenges that lay before me, and my first order of business had been completed. I was ready to pursue my newfound dream. I was ready to study magic.

The sleep deprivation that I had incurred over the past few days finally caught up with me. I decided that the best choice for the rest of the night would be to sleep. I crawled into my bed and closed my eyes, but my imagination was swirling with the newfound hope that I had given to it. The scenes that my mind conjured up were spectacular to say the least, but they seemed feasible.

For a brief moment, I would see myself at the front of an assembly taking a prize for my magical feats. I could hear the crowd cheering and see the flash bulbs flickering away among them. I could feel the confidence that filled my heart as I walked across that stage.

My mind flashed to another scene, where I sat in a room filled with books on my creations. Volumes upon volumes were dedicated to single spells too complicated for any of my predecessors to create. A chair sat in the center, and my mind became blissfully calm when I looked at it.

Another image flashed to my mind, this time I was in front of a large council of stallions, all unicorns, and I was presenting one of my latest theories concerning some incredibly large dimension. I was the leader, the authority on that subject, and all of them knew it.

I could feel a smile creep across my face as my mind slowly let go of reality. I was going to make that first step toward my new life, one where I was destined to be great. It was comforting, knowing that I had finally been given a chance to prove myself to that impossibly exclusive race.