• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 726 Views, 28 Comments

Write Club! A Multi-Prompt Compilation - HapHazred



A compilation of short stories from the Harmonists group contest 'Write Club' about history, attachment, and dreams.

  • ...
4
 28
 726

Attachment: Wave Blaster

It was a dark and stormy night. This weather wasn’t something unusual in Equestria. Although weather teams prefer to be nice and practical with their rain quota, there were instances when a storm was necessary to keep the natural balance. The problem was that, due to a miscalculation, it went too far from what should have been. The wind blew with all its might and the water fell like bullets being fired by the stars above, both ready to freeze into submission anypony insolent enough to dare to step outside.

Somepony dared.

”Let it go.”

A lone mare was walking down the streets. She could have stopped a long time ago, but something inside her prevented her from doing it. She was many things, but she would never quit, she would never surrender.

”I won’t let it go.”

She didn’t remember quite well where she was right now or from where she came. That wasn’t important anyways. The only thing that mattered now was where she was going. To that place, where everything began. As she advanced, the city around her was losing detail, slowly changing from the architectonic neo-gothic design that characterized it, becoming more and more like a blur around the mare.

”Please, just let it go.”

The more she advanced, the more it seemed like the world around her wanted her to stop. The rain from before, a soft mantle of water, was now as harsh as needles piercing her skin. The same happened with the wind, even though it started rough, now the wind was almost strong enough to toss back any other pony. But not this one.

”I can’t let it go.”

By this point in the story, even the ground under the mare’s hooves was unrecognizable. Just a mass of grey, barely solid enough to keep her advancing, that she couldn’t figure out between pavement and mud. Never losing her pace, the mare looked up at the sky. Or where she expected to see the sky. The indefinable background of the same grey as the ground was above her. The only change in the grey universe where the mare was submerged was the rain. The shiny little drops of white falling incessantly over her.

”Please, you could just rest. All you have to do is let it go.”

Focusing once again on her path, the mare looked around her, never stopping, until the scene around her began to take form again. The path of badly conserved concrete, mapped by an infinite web of cracks and fissures was now visible. Still walking, she looked again upwards, this time figuring out the different cloud formations. Finally, at her sides, there weren’t the building and houses from before. Instead, just bushes and trees. She finally managed to cross the city which name she couldn’t remember.

”I can’t let them go, I’m not ready.”

Eventually, although it was the first time, the mare encountered herself with an obstacle and she did the only thing she didn’t want to do in this moment of her life. That one thing the rain couldn’t do, that the wind failed to accomplish, that her own confusion and tiredness didn’t manage to achieve; The mare stopped, all because of an old and rusted steel fence.

”See? It’s futile to continue. Just surrender and you will rest.”

She examined the fence for a moment, looking for a way to pass through it and retake her path. When she looked at the lock, she noticed it was specially rusted and torn apart. The mare rolled her eyes, looking up at her own forehead, where a horn of the same azure as her fur was resting.

”I won’t disappoint them, I can’t.”

Although it would be more practical to just kick the lock, since the rust seemed to have done most of the job, the mare refused to do it. Instead, she closed her eyes and concentrated all she could. At first, nothing happened, but after struggling with herself, her horn finally lit up in a dark magenta light, barely shinning in the dark atmosphere of the storm around her. A quick shot later and the lock jumped out of its place, leaving the fence’s door free to swing open with the wind. The mare smiled.

”Even if you get to them it won’t do any good. Stop this and go on with your life.”

With the door open, the concrete road clean and her determination resolved, the unicorn mare of the azure coat resumed her tireless march under the rain. Just like before, her vision started to blur and the world around her began, once again, to lose definition. This time though, she willed her own conscience to stay focused. Without stopping, she shocked her head till the blur around her wasn’t formless anymore.

”I will reach them, even if it’s the last thing I ever do.”

She encountered a bifurcation in front of her. The single road of concrete was split into five different directions in front of her. At first, she slowed down, still not daring to stop again. But just for a moment, for her will to reach her objective kept her focused enough to remember it was the last path to the left where her destination awaited for her.

”Please, Trixie, it’s still not too late. Turn around and go back to your life.”

Just a couple of meters ahead of her, Trixie Silverlight Lulamoon, the fallen star, finally could saw the one place in this world that was still unaggressive to her. Nothing too complex, just a couple of square meters of ground, covered in grass, and two stones marking it. Tombstones.

“Here lies Scott Free, Mister Miracle. Freedom is what really matters.”

“Here lies Barda Free, Big Barda. A true warrior only wants peace.”

Trixie sat down before the resting place of the first ponies who ever showed her any kindness on this world. The ponies who saw a Celestia’s School dropout wandering alone in the streets of Neigh Orleans and gave her a home. Trixie sat down on the same place every year, on this same date. She would never forget about it. No matter how hard was doing the trip, she would never let them alone. She would never let them down. From inside her cape, Trixie produced two flowers, placing each one in one of the tombstones. Taking of her hat, Trixie let the rain finally reach her.

“Hi mom, hi dad,” she greeted the tombstones. “I didn’t forget.” And she didn’t. She would never forget them.

Author's Note:

This story is written by Wave Blaster! If you enjoyed his story, please check out some of his other stuff.