• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 726 Views, 28 Comments

Write Club! A Multi-Prompt Compilation - HapHazred



A compilation of short stories from the Harmonists group contest 'Write Club' about history, attachment, and dreams.

  • ...
4
 28
 726

Attachment: Keam!

The first day of Spring arrive, and oh how much I wanted to be there with you.

I promised I’ll never leave, but in the end the choice was not mine. No, I did not get to voice my wish, did not get to tell them I needed to stay.

I see the life that cover the world today, it’s mild green colours awakening it all from it’s slumber. The birds singing, the flowers growing up beside the roads, simple yet full of life, a promise of the beauty and life summer shall give you.

Laughter, innocent and seductive, too pure to ever have crossed an adults lips. My ears flickered as it once more rang through the world, filling my vision with memories, memories of you.

On your great day, you know I wanted to be there. I promised to be there. We’d see spring explode, and it be the best of times I’ve ever know.

The greatest day, it’ll still be yours, but you won’t enjoy it, no. You’ll think of me, and the tears of silver which you cry, they’ll be on with the fire below.

I pray to live, live just a little longer, so I can be there. I’m not ready, ready to step away. We were going to fight, were going to make the world complete, and you’d trust yourself to me, because I know you’re brave.

I recognize the forest path moving beneath my hooves. Faster, every step taking me faster forward than the previous, until I see nothing at all, because it move too fast. But it doesn’t matter if I’m blind, when I don’t need my eyes know where to go. Been here before, more times than you know.

I feel the ground change beneath me, and I slow down, until I get my vision back. A big stone and two Juniper bushes in front of me and I know I’m here.

On the other side, is a cliff. We’ve been sitting there a thousand and one times. As we grew, we’d realize, how small it really was, how small our world really was. But it never bothered you, to know that you’ve limited yourself.

I can still feel the taste on my tongue, the taste of bittersweet cherry and wild apple. They used to grow here, next to the cliff. We’d stay and pick them on our way to and from school, enjoy them as often as we could.

I can still here you complaining, that late fall, when I stole the last apple and ate it. You where angry, but soon we’d be laughing anyway. A new summer would come, with new fruits.

And we got angry, so angry, when they cut them down. One day, they were just gone, and there was nothing to do.

A chilly breeze flow across the landscape as I sit down on the cold stone, kicking my legs around in the empty space in front of me for no reason at all...

Suddenly, I see you there, just across the street. I sit silently, watching as you cross the road, close the distance to me, until you're so close that I could kick you in the head. You bow down, you pick some of the spring flowers growing at the base of cliff.

It’s Bluebelles you’re picking, those oh so beautiful flowers which I always loved, but never dared to pick. I thought it was forbidden. When I finally learned that it wasn’t, it was too late. The days when I picked those flowers were long gone…

You’ve finished picking the flowers and climbed up the side of the cliff and sit next to me. Your face is beautiful, but worn down. You’ve met so much hardship, and I feel eternally grateful, that I got to share your pain.

But not only have I hold you tight, protected you the best I could, I’ve been protected too. You’ve been there for me when I’m sure I would have crashed without you. Without a smile, a wink, a hug.

“I got to hold your hoof, when you were forced to leave your dreams behind you, I was there when you finally came to terms with time itself. Yes, I even got to see you thank the world, in the end.”

That’s what he tell me, sitting there on the small cliff beside me during the first day of Spring. I smile and try to grab his hoof, but he doesn’t notice. He never do anymore, because that’s how he wanted it to be.

The flowers he picked for me is laying beside him, where I would have been. Where I am, even though he does not know it, does not see it.

I look at the flowers and recall our last goodbye, when he convinced me to let go of his hoof, so he would be free to go.

I didn’t want to go, I asked to stay, to live just a little longer. Because on your big day, i wanted to be there, be there with you. I asked to exist for just a little longer, so I could be ready, ready to go.

but through his eyes, I he showed me the foals and their laughter, he showed me the tears filling the darkness of the night, he showed me the first day of the spring.

From that moment, i knew I couldn’t stay, and therefor, right now, I give him a hymn, a song and promise, as I give up on staying, accept that I won’t be there on his big day.

It feel good, because I know he can make it on his own, know that he doesn’t notice me because of that he no longer need me by his side. He’s on his own now, and I know he’ll live long and happily.

Still, I know he’ll hear my hymn playing in the wind, and he’ll know I’ve moved on too.

May the road rise up to meet you.

May the wind always be at your back.

May the sun shine warm upon your face,

and rains fall soft upon your fields.

And until we meet again,

May God hold you in the palm of His hand.

Author's Note:

Whilst this story was written by Keam!, the original winner of this specific write-off was Eris H Discordia, who forfeited being in this compilation by publishing her story independently.