• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 726 Views, 28 Comments

Write Club! A Multi-Prompt Compilation - HapHazred



A compilation of short stories from the Harmonists group contest 'Write Club' about history, attachment, and dreams.

  • ...
4
 28
 726

History: Gumball2

On the far edges of Ponyville was a lake. Situated in the middle of the forest, it was isolated and untouched for most of the year. Summer vacation, the time where it was a hot spot, was yet to come but the warmth of the June afternoon was just as suitable. In fact, the place started to feel comfortable once the snow melted, but many were not interested in coming during that time.

Two ponies trekked through the trail that led there. One of them was a yellow pegasus with a pink mane and the other was a white unicorn with a purple mane. Both of them were wearing white gowns and mortarboards.

As they reached the lake they stopped and gazed at their reflections, clear pictures formed by the tranquil water.

“Can you believe we used to come here every day, Fluttershy?” the unicorn asked.

The pegasus gently turned to face her friend.

“I know,” she said.

“Or the fact that it all ends tonight?”

She shook her head.

A soft breeze blew through the scene, rippling the water.

“You know,” the unicorn said, “you get so used to spending time in one place that you end up taking it for granted. You know you were there yesterday and you can always come back tomorrow….only now…..”

She stopped and jerked her head to Fluttershy, who was listening.

“Am I making you sad?” she asked.

“No, no, no,” Fluttershy interjected, “not at all. I’m happy for you, Rarity.”

The pegasus’s lips rushed upward, forming a small grin.

“Are you sure?”

Fluttershy nodded her head. Although it was nice to receive her friend’s approval, Rarity still felt a pang of guilt. And then, she reminded herself of something she occasionally forgot.

“Two years is a long time.”

But even with that, she still managed to reassure herself. She turned to Fluttershy and looked at her with reassuring eyes.

“You do know I’ll be back for Hearth’s Warming and New Year’s.”

“Yes,” the pegasus responded, “I know.”

Fluttershy turned back toward the water, which had settled back down. Memories resurfaced as she stared into the clear pool. Two fillies, having barely met, started a conversation with each other. The white one did most of the talking, though, with the yellow one listening and occasionally giving brief replies. The same girls were now older and were going out shopping; most of their purchases were fabrics and threads. The white filly occasionally asked her friend if she wanted something for herself, but her demure companion always declined— insisting that she didn’t need anything. And several years later the same friends were standing before the same lake, spending the summer days in peace.

Such nostalgic memories helped alleviate some of the pain from what was about to occur— a pain that made her feel guilty.

“I’m happy for her,” Fluttershy said to herself every time it came, “she’s pursuing her dream. I shouldn’t be selfish.”

She tried to indulge herself further into the memories and ignore any harmful thought. She tried to imagine the warm feeling of the sun beaming down on her skin, the sight of green grass surrounding her, and the gentle sound of birds chirping.

“Fluttershy,”

The pegasus was stunned by the sudden interruption of her fantasy. Her head turned from the water to Rarity, whose face was painted with concern.

“Something tells me you’re not alright.”

Fluttershy’s eyes widened and her mind scrambled to find a response. After a quick moment of half-baked thought, she hastily contorted her lips into a ‘U’ shape.

“No,” she said to accompany her face, “not at all.”

Rarity raised her white hoof and placed it on her friend’s shoulder. She then stared into her tense eyes.

“Fluttershy, I have known you since we were fillies. I know when something is bothering you and I also know that you try to hide it,” she said. “But I have told you before that you can tell me what’s wrong and I will be there to help you.”

Another breeze rolled by, slightly swaying both of their manes. Just like its predecessor, its life was short.

“Does this have anything to do with me leaving?” Rarity asked.

Fluttershy’s head lowered and her narrowed eyes pointed toward the ground. Seeing this, Rarity brought herself closer to her friend. The pegasus’s silence was something she had been used to but it occasionally concerned her; its persistence sent a pang through her body, demanding her to take action. And that action came in the form of a hug— a deep, soothing embrace.

Fluttershy was stunned by the intimacy of the moment. The blanketing affection was both exciting and sedating, creating a great form of bliss. The shape on her lips remained, however it was no longer strained. Her pain dissipated into the air like smoke after a fire.

The two held each other for what felt like ages; Rarity would’ve held on for eternity if it was rewarded with her friend’s happiness. The separation occurred slowly with each of them loosening their grip and sliding off the others’ shoulders. As they backed away, Rarity saw the smile that had grown on Fluttershy’s face.

“Thank you,” the pegasus said, “I kinda needed that.”

Such a sweet reply made her smile as well.

“I’m glad to hear that.”

Fluttershy turned to the lake once more and gazed at its clear reflection of the afternoon sky.

“I’m happy that we got to come here together one last time. I know that I’m going to need this place more than ever once you leave.”
“I will write to you every chance I get,” Rarity replied.

The pegasus faced her friend and nodded.

“Okay.”

“And remember,” she said, “I am not going to be gone forever. I will come back during every school vacation. That is a promise.”

Fluttershy smiled and nodded once more.

“Deal.”

Taking another look at the lake, the pegasus attempted to calculate the time they had spent there. It took her a couple seconds to come to a conclusion.

“We should probably head back to the school; graduation is going to start soon,” she told her friend.

“Yes,” Rarity said, “let’s go.”

Rather than galloping back down the trail, Fluttershy decided to take one last look at the lake: a part of nature that she loved, a former meeting place for friends, and an escape from civilization. It felt right spending their last day together in such a setting. Although she would return, her eyes left the lake and she trotted away with her friend.

“I wish you the best of luck, Rarity.”

Author's Note:

This story is written by Gumball2

If you liked this story, we recommend you check him out!