• Published 18th Apr 2015
  • 726 Views, 28 Comments

Write Club! A Multi-Prompt Compilation - HapHazred



A compilation of short stories from the Harmonists group contest 'Write Club' about history, attachment, and dreams.

  • ...
4
 28
 726

Attachment: HapHazred

Firefly groaned. The cacophony of foals screaming was doing nothing to improve her mood, and she was on the verge of running late. At her hooves, her daughter clutched the yellow and blue doll defiantly.

"Oh, jeez," she muttered, wondering once again why she, of all ponies, had decided to become a parent.

Sky High chuckled, earning him a stern glare. Her husband shrugged innocently. "What? She's a kid, they do this."

Firefly did not feel she needed reminding, especially right outside the preschool. She didn't like the idea of being shown up in front of teachers, kids, and worse, judgmental parents. They were always eyeing her maliciously in the gym, like it was abnormal somehow that a mother should balance her daughter on top of her weights and bench press her. It was to keep an eye on her, she told them, but they wouldn't have it.

It wasn't like she had been in any danger.

She turned her attention back to her husband, and snorted. "Well, kid or not, she shouldn't be so attached to a toy. I never pulled stunts like this, after all... I was too busy with—..."

"Oh, you did. You just don't like admitting it," Sky replied with a sly grin.

Time to change the subject, Firefly thought. She knelt down towards her daughter, doing her best to put on a kind, yet stern, expression.

Well, she got the 'stern' part right, at least. The little pegasus filly bravely held her gaze whilst sinking into the cloud they were standing on. Firefly did her best to soften, but was all too aware that 'soft' was not her strong suit.

"Sweetheart, you can't go to school with that," she told her daughter, gesturing at the doll. "You'll just lose it, or get bullied for it."

The young filly responded by gripping the doll even tighter. Firefly turned towards Sky High, watching the pair with amusement. "She'll not give up like that," he told her. "She takes after you too much."

"Help," Firefly mouthed, ignoring his previous quip. Sky shook his head, his mouth still curled into that smug smile he did so well

"Hey, kiddo, you don't need to keep a-hold of Commander Easyglider," he told her softly. "He'll be here when you get back."

Firefly grunted. "Wonderbolts... they haven't a patch on real flyers..."

Sky High eyed his wife. She held her hooves up in defeat, and left him to his arduous task.

"Besides, if you don't go to school, you won't be able to become a Wonderbolt," Sky High added. Suddenly, the young filly's attention was his.

"Become a Wonderbolt? I thought only awesome flyers could be Wonderbolts. I'm just—..."

"All Wonderbolts said that... before they worked hard and gave it their all." He held out his hoof. "C'mon: maybe one day you'll have your own doll."

Firefly watched, relieved and aghast at the same time, as her daughter handed Sky the Wonderbolts doll to her father with nary a sound. Sky grinned and got to his hooves, fluttering his wings. He was over the moon that he had managed to one-up his wife. "See? How hard was that?" he asked the foal, beaming.

The young filly returned him a smile, and fluttered her small, and rather feeble wings nervously. Firefly leaned closer and gave her a gentle nudge with her muzzle. "Off you go, now. Don't want to keep that teacher of yours waiting."

The little pony nodded furiously, and cantered off into the schoolyard. "Bye!" she shouted, giving her parents almost no time to wave her off themselves. She was fast, Firefly had to give her that much.

"Bye, Spitfire!" Firefly replied. "Study hard! And don't fall off the cloud!!"

"Wonderbolts don't fall off clouds, mom!" Spitfire shouted back confidently, much to Firefly's dismay. What has Sky High done?

Her husband tapped her on the shoulder, attracting her attention without a word. "Must you be so tough with her? Always?"

Firefly shrugged. "If I pull my punches, so will she. Just you wait, she'll turn out hard as nails." She narrowed her eyes. "But now, thanks to you, I'll have to put up with her going on and on about being a Wonderbolt. Do you know how tiresome that's going to get?"

"Oh, please. She's a kid: she'll just give it up for the next most exiting thing in a few hours," he told her. "Children only hang onto stuff like this for so long, you'll see!"

With that, he strode away, oozing confidence. Nothing his wife could say would distract him from the fact that he had got the doll from Spitfire, not her.

Firefly rolled her eyes again, and followed him with mock reluctance. "If you say so. But I, for one, would like my daughter to have a respectable job. On your own head be it if she pursues this her whole life!"

Author's Note:

This story is provided by yours truly. If you liked this story, rest assured there's plenty more where that came from!