• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 1,932 Views, 26 Comments

A Goo Day to be Alive - Voltsthevoltvolts



Twilight receives a letter from Celestia saying that a she will receive a package. Much to her's(and Pinkie's) surprise, the package is a tub of talking Jelly.

  • ...
3
 26
 1,932

The Somewhat Devious Mind of Jelly Bean

Jelly Bean sighed as she rummaged through several suitcases that had been messily sprawled onto the floor by herself. "Junk, junk, junk..." Jelly Bean lazily said as she threw several silken sashes onto the floor of the motel room. "Ah! There you are!" The jelly pony happily exclaimed as she removed a cyan blue sash with a dark green saddlebag attached to the side. The saddlebag had Jelly Bean's cutie mark embroidered onto the flap. Before Jelly Bean could even think about putting it on a knock on the door took her attention.

"Hey, Jelly Bean? Are you in?" Jelly Bean heard a familiar voice call out. "I may have been a bit harsh earlier, I just wanted to make sure we are cool." Jelly Bean perked up, she knew who was at the door.

"Rainbow Dash right? Come in, I'm just making the room... Homey!" Jelly Bean chuckled happily as she walked over to the door and opened it. "Welcome to my temporary home!" Jelly Bean happily exclaimed.

"Wow... This place is messy!" Rainbow remarked. "Rarity would go crazy if she saw this." Rainbow Dash chuckled happily. "But what I said at the door I meant it." The mare looked around modestly. "I kinda thought about what I said and I... Realized that what I said might have been a bit harsh..."

"Really?" Jelly Bean curiously said. "I have had worse for less." The Jelly pony sat down and sighed happily. "I don't even notice it anymore."

"Well either way, I feel bad about it. Is there anyway I can make it up to you?" Rainbow Dash asked solemnly.

"Try one of these." Jelly Bean reached into her saddle bag and took out an assortment of colored beans. "There jelly beans! I just started learning how to make them the way my family does."

"Okay then, I've never turned down free sweets." Rainbow Dash happily took a selection of cyan beans and ate them. "Not bad... Not the best, but not bad at all. What flavor were they?"

"No flavor, in fact... None of these have any flavor. I just wanted to see if I had the coloring right." Jelly Bean looked quizzically at Rainbow Dash. "What flavor did you taste?"

"Water." Rainbow Dash flatly replied. "They tasted like water."

"Funny that, everypony I ask says that. They're not supposed to taste like anything, yet somehow its always water." Jelly Bean chuckled happily. "Funny how that works, one of lives greatest mysteries."

"Yeah... It certainly is puzzling." Rainbow Dash faked an interest. "Hey, what I said earlier... Did you want to try pranking some ponies? I have a few ideas for what we can do."

"Yeah sounds fun. I'd do anything to get out of this dull room." Jelly Bean replied happily. "So who's our first target?"

"Rarity." Rainbow Dash said with a malicious grin. "We are going to prank Rarity."

"Alright, I'm game." Jelly Bean replied evilly. "What's the plan?"

"Basically, Rarity designs clothes. Fancy clothes. I want you to 'cover' a few of her designs so that they are purple. Because apparently bright purple is out this season." Rainbow Dash chuckled evilly. "Of course, we will let her in on it before she goes too far. But I want to see the look on her face when her dresses are bright purple!"

"Sounds fun... But what do you mean too far?" Jelly Bean curiously asked. "How badly will she freak out?"

"About the same as usual. It might scare you, but she does it all the time." Rainbow replied innocently. "Alright lets go then, I have the perfect way to get you into her shop."

"Alright then, lead the way." Jelly Bean happily said as she followed Rainbow Dash out of the room.


"No, that's alright Rarity. I just wanted to check to see if the outside was scratched or cracked. I mean the windstorm was pretty fast." Rainbow Dash chuckled. "I surprised it didn't wake you up."

"Yes, I daresay that if it had... I would have been unable to fall asleep. Oh well, thank you for checking up on me!" Rarity smiled sheepishly before turning around to re-enter her shop. "Say, do you fancy taking a look at some of my new work? I am quite proud of them."

"Oh? Sure, I mean. If you insist." Rainbow Dash said nonchalantly.

"Oh I do. Now come in, you're letting the hot out." Rarity ordered as she ushered Rainbow Dash into the clothes shop. "Now Rainbow, while I doubt your sense of fashion is... Attuned as mine, I hope you see the elegance in next year's spring... Collection?" Rarity stood in horror as she examined her line of dresses. A thin layer of purple slime was stuck to the fabric, giving it the impression that it was a sickly purple color with a dark green underneath. "I don't understand... The fabric was non-reactive! How! What!"

"Woah, I like the purple..." Rainbow Dash said trying to fight back a giggle, she moved over and inspected the dresses closely and even touched one of them. "Wow shes good... This feels like a real dress." Rainbow Dash muttered to herself.

"HOW!? WHY!?" Rarity shouted as she examined the fabric closely. "I don't understand..." Rarity sighed to herself and sat down on the floor. "I will have to source my materials and re-buy EVERYTHING!"

"Its not that bad Rarity..." Rainbow Dash tried to reassure Rarity, all the while smirking. "Purple might be in next year..."

"No no... This just won't do! I can't afford to gamble!" Rarity despaired to herself. "I will have to reconfigure my bits for the next year or so..." Rarity levitated a notepad over and began to got down notes with a quill. Unknowing to her, one of her dresses was slowly animating.

"Woah..." Rainbow Dash said dumbstruck. The middle dress was slowly lifting itself of the ponyikin. "Uh Rarity, do your dresses come to life?"

"Well yes... When worn properly they can be the very life of the party..." Rarity slowly turned around, confused by Rainbow's question. "Oh..." The dress heaved itself on the floor and began to slither towards Rainbow Dash.

"No wait..!" Rainbow shouted as the dress caught her hoof. "Please don't!" Rainbow pleaded with the dress as it slowly started to put itself on. Within moments Rainbow Dash was wearing a particular frilly dress.

Suddenly the purple coloring from all the dresses faded and the line of clothes returned to normal. A purple puddle amassed in the center of the room and Jelly Bean emerged from it, laughing. "Ha! That is how you do it. Double prank!" Jelly Bean happily said as she laughed at Rainbow's dress.

"What!? This whole thing was a prank?" Rarity angrily exclaimed.

"Yeah, Rainbow's idea!" Jelly Bean taunted. "But after I saw your lovely line of dress, I just had to see one on Rainbow Dash! So I decided to dress her up." The jelly pony chuckled evilly. "As I said, I'm a jelly pony, pranks come naturally."

"Well I must say... My line isn't ruined and Rainbow Dash does look rather... Frilly." Rarity chuckled happily. "Yes, I would say this has been a good prank."

"Maybe for you!" Rainbow angrily shouted as she attempted to remove the dress without tearing it. "If this is stuck on me..."

"I can take it off you easily..." Jelly Bean sighed. "You just need to know how..." The jelly pony morphed back into a puddle and went back into the dress and gently removed itself and reattached itself back to the ponyikin. "See?" Jelly Bean's voice echoed from the dress.

"Oh, alright." Rainbow Dash said flatly. "I'm going to get you back Jelly." Rainbow warned. "One of these days!" Rainbow turned and promptly left the shop. Jelly Bean reappeared as a puddle and reformed completely.

"Did I do something wrong?" Jelly Bean sighed as she started to go runny.

"No darling, Rainbow was just a bad sport... And never one for dresses... But trust me, in five minutes time she will be laughing about this." Rarity reassure happily. "I personally think you did quite well darling..." Jelly Bean looked up and became more solid. "I mean, you pranked us both fairly with nothing that would do any permanent damage."

"Yeah... And she was laughing until I put her in the dress!" Jelly Bean said happily. "Thanks, that's brightened my mood. I was worried that she might hate me..."

"No she would never hate you... Rainbow Dash would never hate anypony." Rarity replied happily. "Now then, I take you keep with fashion in Canterlot? Nearly everypony does there."

"A little, every now and then I check what is 'in'. Its hard being made out of goo." Jelly Bean replied. "If I'm not careful the outfit sinks into me, or it absorbs me. The only material I can wear thin silk that sits on me." Jelly Bean explained.

"Oh, that sounds dreadful!" Rarity exclaimed. "How do you keep up with the fashion?"

"I don't... Being honest, Canterlot can be a bit too much for me. A lot of ponies avoid me and I feel alienated." Jelly Bean sighed. "Ponyville is a break from that, or so the Princess told me."

Rarity sighed to herself. "That must be terrible... I dare to think what my life would be without friends to gossip with... Friends to make dresses for..." Rarity gazed off into the distance.

"I have friends." Jelly Bean replied flatly. "I'm not that much of an alien... And my family care for me the best they can!" Jelly Bean happily bounced up and down. "And from what I have heard and seen, you're a friend!"

"Yes... We are friends. I could never turn anypony away, its not me..." Rarity happily replied. "I will admit I was bit uncertain at first... But you're good to be around, your make the mood lighter and you are able to turn the tables on a prank. You are also one of the few ponies to ever get Rainbow Dash into a springtime dress."

"Yes... I can imagine that getting her into a dress like that is no easy feat." Jelly Bean proudly replied. "And I will admit, I did not know what to think when Rainbow told me how you might react when I pranked you... It was dramatic to say the least..." Jelly Bean smiled slyly. "You lived up to expectations..."

"Oh?" Rarity sounded surprised. "Rainbow knew how I would react?"

"Yes, loudly and unnecessarily." Jelly Bean replied.

"What? She was aware that I thought my spring line was ruined!? Not just that, but I would have missed several deadlines and lost thousands of bits in materials!" Rarity exclaimed loudly. "Not just that, but it is also a whole month worth of work and my reputation would have been ruined! Wasted for a quick laugh!" Rarity huffed angrily. "Well, I will be having words with her later!"

"Don't worry Rarity." Jelly Bean calmly reassured. "I was never going to damage your dresses, they're beautiful." Jelly Bean thoughtfully said. "I think they will do well come spring."

"Oh..." Rarity blushed briefly. "Thank you. I never really planned on showing anypony. But when Rainbow dropped by, I could hardly hide my excitement."

"Yes... I noticed. That's when I decided to get Rainbow back, so that you had something to laugh about." Jelly Bean happily explained. "It wasn't in Rainbow's plans but... I couldn't just prank you that badly and leave the pony responsible un-pranked."

"Yes, that was quite thoughtful of you. Pranking Rainbow and not damaging my dresses." Rarity warmly replied. "Perhaps I could make you a custom dress? One that won't sink into you or absorb you?"

"Its alright, the silk that is used is very fine quality. Buying it for my saddlebag cost me just shy of a thousand bits." Jelly Bean smiled happily. "But thank you for your offer Rarity. Now, I think I will head back to my motel room and finish unpacking."

"Very well... And Jelly Bean, welcome to Ponyville." Rarity said as Jelly Bean left the store.