• Published 20th Mar 2015
  • 1,932 Views, 26 Comments

A Goo Day to be Alive - Voltsthevoltvolts



Twilight receives a letter from Celestia saying that a she will receive a package. Much to her's(and Pinkie's) surprise, the package is a tub of talking Jelly.

  • ...
3
 26
 1,932

The Mystery of the Magical Talking Jelly

"That is one unhappy tub of jelly Twilight!" Pinkie exclaimed as the tub of jelly violently rocked back and forth. "You might wanna open the lid, it might explode out!" Pinkie gently poked the tub, which only seemed to annoy the jelly further.

"Alright." Twilight sighed and the jelly stopped. "I will open the lid, however you need to be calm. Rock once for yes and twice for no." The tub of jelly slowly rocked once. "Alright then..." Twilight sighed and undid the lid with her magic.

"Thank you, that infernal prison is the very bane of my life." The jelly chuckled. "It was enchanted so that nothing from the inside could break it."

"So the Princess made it so you couldn't get out, and nopony could get in? Why would she do that!?" Rainbow Dash exclaimed.

"She was worried I would jump out and scare the courier... I have a bit of a habit of pulling the odd prank when I get restless." The jelly jiggled around calmly. "Now would be a good time to get out of this forsaken tub."

"So... Why don't you?" Applejack curiously inquired as she gently poked the jelly. "There ain't no invisible lid on, is there?"

"Hehehe! That tickled. But alas, you are wrong." The jelly explained. "The Princess put in a final line of defense, a mental block on my mind that prevents me from taking shape."

"And uhhh..." Applejack found herself poking the jelly a second time. "Why did she do that?"

"So that if I was stolen by anything I would be unable free myself, take form or do anything else to draw attention to myself. You would be surprised how many ponies have tried to capture me." The jelly polity replied. "Its all for my own safety."

"Uh-huh, so how do will unblock your mind?" Rainbow Dash joined in. "I will admit, I'm kinda curious to what you look like exactly."

"Oh that's simple. The pony who was supposed to be delivered to should know the phrase to unblock my mind." The jelly rotated the tub it was in and stopped when one of its faces was facing Twilight.

"Uh, Princess Celestia didn't put anything like that in her letter!" Twilight panicked slightly. "In fact, all she said was that I was receiving a package!"

"I see." The jelly sighed loudly. "Was there anything odd about the letter? Did you bring it with you?" The jelly asked calmly. "I don't want to be stuck in this tub any longer then I have to."

"Other then it being incredibly short... Nothing was odd. She addressed it the usual way, to my faithful student." Twilight rubbed her forehead. "I can magic up a copy, I remember it word for word." Before the jelly could respond Twilight materialized an ethereal scroll and held it in front of the tub.

"I don't know what I am looking for." The jelly flatly stated. "I was told that upon reaching you I would be set free."

"Perhaps the Princess said something to you that might have been the word?" Twilight suggested.

"Well, it all seemed normal enough. She briefed me about what was going to happen, packed me into the tub and then started talking about the migration of birds in Equestria." The jelly chuckled. "She had a habit of doing that when I was stuck."

"Maybe..." Pinkie joined in the discussion. "Just maybe... The pass phrase is bird!" Pinkie happily concluded.

"So... You're saying that the word is bird?" The jelly slowly concluded.

"Nothing?" Pinkie said sound rejected.

"Nothing, sorry. But that has got me thinking. Doesn't the Princess own a bird?" The jelly inquired. "I mean, like a really rare bird."

"Yes... She owns a phoenix." Twilight replied. "Did that help?"

"I'm just thinking, hear me out. What if the Princess knew how you would react and somehow knew that the conversation would end up with birds? What if the phrase is the name of her phoenix?" The jelly said excitedly.

"Philomena." Fluttershy quietly spoke out.

"Did it work?" Twilight asked.

"Yes... I remember what I used to look like." The jelly started. "I can get out of this infernal tub of plastic..." The jelly happily rocked its tub back and forth.

"Woah settle down, you might tip your tub..." Rarity started, however the jelly didn't seem interested on stopping. It continued rocking the tub until it fell over. Rarity sighed and lifted the tub up with a simple levitation spell. "See..." The jelly was now a large puddle.

"How did so much jelly fit in such a small tub?" Rainbow asked. "Wait never-mind, magic right?" Much to the surprise of Twilight and her friends, the jelly did not reply. Instead it slowly started to rise.

The first section to form were the legs. Four distinctive legs slowly started to build up from the jelly until reaching the height of an average pony. Then the body started to form out of the purple jelly. Slowly but surely the jelly began to take form. After the neck and head had formed properly, a bright turquoise mane and tail grew out. Finally features such as cutie mark, eyes, ears, mouth and nose appeared.

"Ah, it feels good to be back in my own shape." The jelly pony happily trotted around the vicinity of the sweet shop. "You never know how much you will miss having a body until you are stuffed in Tupperware for three days straight."

"So... You're a pony?" Rainbow curiously asked, poking the jiggly stomach of the jelly pony.

"Its a substance that is similar to jelly yes." The jelly pony replied. "I was born normal, like most ponies. The magical spark that occurred when I got my cutie mark caused a chain reaction in my body that shifted the substance I was made of." The pony chuckled. "A lot of doctors were poking at me back then, trying to see if the process is reversible."

"I take it they had no luck?" Rarity asked sorrowfully.

"Not in my case. Normally this happens when experimenting with various 'substances' and doing magic. However it happened to me because I was exposed to large amount of magic while developing in the womb." The jelly pony sighed. "By the way, ironically... I'm Jelly, Jelly Bean."

"Jelly Bean huh? I guess that works..." Rainbow rubbed her forehead.

"Family owns a little sweet shop in the western side of Canterlot. I am set to inherit it when they retire!" Jelly Bean happily said.

"So then why did the princess send you all the way out here?" Twilight asked.

"I don't know..." Jelly Bean slowly replied. "The Princess didn't really tell me why she was send me out here. I was kinda stuffed into a tub and then given to a pony who didn't agree with trains.

"This seems really odd if you ask me..." Rainbow Dash said with an accusing tone.

"Well I believe her." Rarity defended. "After all, the Princess did tell Twilight that she would be getting a package."

"True... But I've got my eye on you..." Rainbow Dash said threateningly. "So don't try and funny business."

"I'm a pony made out of goo. Funny business is my business." Jelly Bean cheerily replied, ignoring Rainbow's threat. "You try and be goo and not get into trouble every day!"

"Alright... I'l give you that. However, you have to let me put you in our water pipes. The when somepony goes to have a shower or something, you come out! It would be hilarious." Rainbow Dash happily suggested.

"I did that once in Canterlot, caused a blockage in the pipes for four days. Now that was hilarious! All the rich ponies were panic buying water!" Jelly Bean chuckled happily. "Best part is, they still haven't figured out it was me!"

"That sounds a tad unsafe." Rarity interjected before the situation got worse. "Maybe you should try and settle down first."

"Yeah... I guess. I mean, it was only for a day..." Jelly Bean replied, sounding slightly guilty. "I..." Jelly Bean sighed sorrowfully, small amounts of goo were trickling down her body and onto the floor.

"You alright?" Applejack asked. "You seem to be uh... Dripping a bit."

"Oh yeah, that!" Jelly Bean perked back up slightly, the puddle around her legs vanished almost instantaneously. "It just something to do with my mood." Jelly Bean explained. "You see, when I'm happy I become more solid... Bouncy if you will. However when faced against negative emotions, I become.. Runny."

"Uh-huh..." Applejack slowly nodded. "I guess that makes sense."

"So where will you be staying during your visit?" Twilight asked politely. "Not that I have a problem with you staying in the library if the Princess said you could... You will just have to be careful."

"Its alright, the Princess has set me up in the Hay-and-Stay motel for a few weeks." Jelly Bean replied happily. "But thanks for the offer."

"Alright then..." Twilight rolled her eyes. "Do you have any idea why you were sent here?"

"Well, I don't really know why the Princess sent me here. I know why I agreed though, its a vacation from Canterlot. I mean, I love the place to bits. But sometimes the big city can be too much me." Jelly Bean happily explained. "When the Princess offered me a trip to Ponyville, all expenses paid... I couldn't say no."

"It just seems odd. The Princess was very brief in her letter." Twilight smiled awkwardly and sighed. "Sorry if this sounds rube, but I was expecting a bit more..."

"Uh... That's alright I guess..." Jelly Bean chuckled nervously. "Maybe the Princess has sent you another scroll?"

"Oh, right!" Twilight nodded her head happily. "She might of... But Spike is at the library, resting."

"Oh... Is he alright?" Fluttershy spoke up. "I wouldn't him to be ill or anything... Maybe I could take a look? If its not too much trouble."

"Its alright Fluttershy, I think he was just trying to get out of shopping. Now that I think about it, her perked right up when I left him at the library to rest..." Twilight sighed and cursed herself silently. "Never mind, he will be fine until I get back."

"Oh, alright then... Maybe I could just do a quick check-up? I mean, if its not too much..." Fluttershy quietly said.

"If you want really want to, I see no harm in having Spike checked." Twilight replied. "Might teach him a lesson about faking illness."

"Hey..." Jelly Bean spoke up. "Do any of you have any objections to me going to my motel room? I think there is a pony waiting for me with some of my stuff..." Jelly Bean asked happily.

"Yeah sure, don't let us hold you back! Go out and explore the town for a bit. I will try and figure out why the Princess sent you down." Twilight responded kindly.

"Uh... Cool. If you need me... You know where the motel is right?" Jelly Bean nervously inquired. "Just wanna make sure you know where I am..."

"Of course, go enjoy your break from Canterlot. If I make any progression I will let you know."

"Alright then... I'l be going now..." Jelly Bean chuckled nervously and left the shop. "You would have thought seeing something like me was normal for them..."