• Published 14th Feb 2015
  • 10,371 Views, 1,829 Comments

Empire and Rebellion - Snake Staff



As the Galactic Empire extends its reach across the galaxy, the ponies must choose their side.

  • ...
38
 1,829
 10,371

PreviousChapters Next
7: Into the Void

“It’s all just so… big,” thought Princess Twilight Sparkle as she stared in slack-jawed wonder at the planet around her.

The journey aboard the Rust Heap had been… honestly, kind of anticlimactic. Twilight had rehearsed her story a dozen times and more, and had thought of plausible answers to almost any line of inquiry that the freighter’s crew might have come up with. But it had soon become very plain that the overworked humans did not really care at all about their temporary passenger. They were concerned only with getting all their cargo to its destination on-time and in full, getting paid their meager salaries, and avoiding angering any superiors. She, as far as they were concerned, was little more than another piece of cargo that happened to move and think. Who she was or what she had done on Equus was of about as much interest to them as the dietary habits of the common womp rat.

To be perfectly frank, the ease with which they had accepted “Ziara Blane” aboard their ship had been almost insulting.

The Gozanti-class freighter had made decent time out of the Unknown Regions for a ship saddled with its slow hyperdrive, taking only ten days to circumnavigate the many hazards in the region and reach its destination: the Outer Rim world of Yaga Minor. Twilight had been able to leave with the same casual ease with which she arrived, assuring the crew that she knew where she was going and them not truly giving a damn.

For all that she had read, all the holo-clips she had seen, for everything that she had done to prepare herself for the moment she stepped out of the spaceport and into one of the planet’s cities, Twilight Sparkle still found herself utterly stupefied and overwhelmed. The sights! The sounds! The smells! So many people! Thousands going every which way, droids of bewildering variety and complexity zipping about underfoot and overhead on their tasks. Buildings dwarfing the largest of Manehatten’s prewar skyscrapers – how laughable that term now seemed – by orders of magnitude. Speeders of all kinds zipping through the air or over the roads. Far above the city were construction facilities dedicated to the production of everything from the new TIE fighters to mighty Star Destroyers, to which a constant stream of traffic flowed. Everything was so much bigger and more advanced than anything she had ever seen before in her life. It was all just so much to take in at once!

As she glanced around carefully, Twilight began to feel very small indeed. Like an insect caught in a vast trap too large to even make out, much less escape. To help herself concentrate, she opted to practice breathing exercises while reviewing what she knew.

Yaga Minor was a major shipbuilding facility in the region and, according to Twilight’s research, had been since the days of the Galactic Republic. The insectoid natives, the Yagai, were renown around the galaxy for efficiency and loyalty, as well as mechanical prowess. These nonhumans had as of late been suffering from increased restriction and labor quotas at the Empire’s hand, though from what she knew of them Twilight did not expect to see a major resistance movement here. The insectoids were too cool-headed and pragmatic to try.

As a major shipyard and Imperial production facility so near to the Unknown Regions in which Equus resided, it was natural that a considerable percentage of the flow of traffic to Twilight’s homeworld came from this place. More to the point, it housed a large human population to get lost in, as well as an abundance of small ships for sale, which is why it of all possible destinations was the one Twilight had selected. The disguised alicorn had no intention of remaining on this planet for very long. It would be the first place anyone who discovered that Imperial Army Engineer Ziara Blane had never existed would go looking. She wanted to be far away by the time someone started searching.

That thought managed to assert itself through the haze of emotions running through Twilight’s mind. She needed to obtain a starship, and quickly. She had a substantial amount of credits, either taken discreetly from the Equus’ coffers by herself or Celestia, or simply stolen on the sly from the Imperials. It was time to put some of that money to use.

Calling up a map she had uploaded to her datapad, Twilight gripped the container holding her dragon friend in one hand and began to move.

She had a goal now.


“Come on!” Inquisitor Cia’s voice boomed out over the howling sandstorm winds. “If you cannot find the pain and anger to focus on here, where in this blasted galaxy do you expect to find it?!”

Princess Luna’s jaw was clenched tightly into a snarl, though she dared not open her lips to show it. Partially because of the Chiss, partially because of the sandstorm.

The black-clad alien woman had, after their first few sessions of meditation practice indoors had failed to yield results she considered satisfactory, decided to hold the next one outside. During one of Korriban’s frequent sandstorms. The prevailing theory was that the merciless heat and whirling, stinging dust would cause pain, which would lead to anger, which would lead to hatred, which would lead to power over the Force.

Well, Luna reflected, the first part of the theory had definitely proven true. Being out here certainly hurt. Her fur coat might have shielded her from sunburn, but it also meant she was being cooked like dragon’s dinner, and the infernal red grit was getting absolutely everywhere on her royal person. Cleaning her fur and mane would be a nightmare.

Before Luna and each of the thirty-odd students were small sets of metallic weights. Their task was to call on the power of the dark side to hoist these into the air where the Inquisitor could see them, and then move the lot in a precise series of patterns, demonstrating a degree of fine control.

Thus far, all that anyone had demonstrated was that it was bucking hard to concentrate in a sandstorm.

Luna did as the blue-skinned woman commanded, doing her best to shut out the distractions around her. These other creatures could somehow use magic without horns, she reasoned, so why shouldn’t their methods work for her? She had been without power too long to start getting picky over what methods she used to get it back.

In any case, Luna had plenty of bitterness and resentment to draw upon.

Her eyes closed, her mind’s eye firmly affixed on her memories, Luna called on her own memories. She remembered the rage at the brutal deaths of her precious ponies during the Separatist invasion. She remembered the agony of having her horn brutally amputated by the monster Grievous. She remembered her humiliation at once more being the weaker and inferior sister, reduced to little more than a political figurehead while Celestia controlled both sun and moon. She remembered her sense of powerlessness as the Republic became an Empire and enslaved their world, forcing her nation to do their dirty work while she sat helpless and watched. And of course, she remembered how this horrible woman that now berated them had been on the verge of casually executing her like a lowly slave for daring to talk back. How she had executed another for the crime of tripping and falling.

The ambient power of the dark side flowing through the very air of Korriban could sense her powerful emotions, and it responded. Luna felt an icy sensation running through the charred nub beneath her ornamental horn. For the first time in years, power was beginning to accumulate on her ruined appendage.

Her eyes scrunched up in concentration, Luna tried to focus the feeling on the small sets of weights in front of her. Clumsily, inch by inch, the metallic orbs began to lift themselves from the red sands below. The alicorn risked a quick peek with her right eye. Excitement and elation flooded her as she saw with her own eye that she was actually managing to accomplish.

“We did it!” she thought gleefully. “We did it!”

The weights promptly dropped to the ground with a dull thud, the icy flow of power fading to nothing as her anger dimmed.

Before Luna even had time to feel dismay, there was a powerful blow to the back of her head. She plunged forward face-first burying her muzzle deep in Korriban’s red sand and getting the infernal stuff into her mouth. He blue eyes flicking backwards, she saw to her complete lack of surprise the Chiss woman standing there, arms crossed and one boot casually extended to where her head had just been.

“Come on!” Cia snapped irritably. “Is that all you can do?! What happened to this oh-so-powerful moon princess I heard about? Where is your hate?! Where is your rage?!”

With a snarl, Luna pulled herself out of the desert sands and tried to begin again.


“Yeah,” said the human male in front of Twilight was saying, patting the brown ship behind him. “She’s a beauty. Clone Wars era. Only slightly used.”

“She’s fast?” the alicorn, now appearing as a much younger human female with blonde hair and slight purple streak, asked.

“Gets 800km per hour in a planetary atmosphere and has a Class 2 hyperdrive,” the man grinned. “So yeah, she’s fast.”

A Class 2 hyperdrive matched the speeds of most Imperial starfighters equipped with hyperdrives, and exceeded that of their capital ships. That was very promising if quick escapes were needed.

“And what of those?” she pointed to two pairs of what looked to be linked laser cannons. “Are they functional?”

“Ask the Seppie raiders who tried their hand in this sector,” the salesman answered. “If you can find what’s left of them.”

“And this is a package deal, yes?”

“It was quite a bit of work, but I got it all. One Corellian Engineering Corporation Hwk-290, slightly used, one FA-4 Pilot Droid, two used H-1ME mechanic droids, all just like you asked,” he replied. “And all of this can be yours for a mere 200,000 Imperial credits.”

With neither Twilight nor Spike having the foggiest idea of how to fly or repair a ship beyond “read the manual”, droids were a necessity. She had neither the time nor any good idea of how to recruit a crew in suitable timeframe, and did not yet feel comfortable trying. Machines to handle the actual flight and routine maintenance would be an invaluable aid in departing Yaga Minor for other worlds as soon as possible.

Given that her brief research into the subject had pegged the average price of a used Hawk-series freighter at 55,000 credits, Twilight had the distinct impression that she was being ripped off. She also had the impression that she did not care – speed was more important than money right now, as she was barely restraining herself from looking over her shoulder for Imperial Security Bureau agents. Spending three days on Yaga Minor searching for just the right kind of ship that could be bought without too many questions being asked already felt like too long for her.

Still, it didn’t hurt to haggle a little bit. That would also seem less suspicious.

“Make it 150, and you have a deal.”

The salesman frowned. “190.”

“160, and that’s being generous,” she countered.

“You know how much work went into this thing?” he asked. “I’ll do 180, even though my boss will kill me.”

“Oh please, you’re making more than double on this as it is. 170.”

The man looked at the ship, then back at Twilight and gave a momentary sigh. “Tell you what, Ms. Alilia. I like you. I’ll be going home hungry for a week, but I’ll do 175, and not a decicred less,” he folded his arms.

Twilight pretended to think about it.

“Deal,” she said at last, sticking out a hand. “One hundred and seventy-five thousand Imperial credits, paid in cash and immediately.”

The man smiled and shook her hand firmly. “Pleasure doing business with you. Let’s just see you to my office for a few signatures, and then we’ll have you out of here in a flash,” he turned and took a few steps away before seeming to remember something and flipping his head back. “Oh,” he said. “You got a name you want on this thing’s transponder and registration? We can do that free of charge.”

Twilight hadn’t really thought hard about something like that, but one name seemed to spring up just the instant the question was asked.

“Call her the Harmony,”


“The key to success in lightsaber combat, as in all things,” Inquisitor Cia was saying. “Lies in drawing on the Force to augment your senses and surpass your body’s limitations. You must not only see what the opponent is going to do before they do it, you must train yourself to defeat them before the engagement has even begun.”

The Korriban class had been gathered inside for its first experience in lightsaber dueling. They had been paired off, one to another, and faced each other across the confines of auditorium. Princess Luna’s partner was a young human male by the name of Kerric Derus, who was looking at the alicorn with a confident expression in his eyes. In their hands – or in Luna’s case in what weak telekinetic grip she could muster – were simple blunt blades equipped with crackling electrical charges.

Given the woman’s track record, Luna supposed she should be thankful that Cia wasn’t starting them off with actual lightsabers.

“Call on the dark side, feel its power flowing through you,” Cia commanded, closing her own eyes and waiting as the students slowly did the same.

For almost a minute, all was silence in the auditorium and everyone who possibly could drew on whatever negative emotions they could feel. The temperature in the room seemed to drop several degrees as the currents of the Force shifted in response to their surge of emotion. Luna could feel the freezing sensation enveloping her horn’s remnants once again, fueling the power within.

Without warning, the Inquisitor spoke again.

“Begin.”

Across form Luna, Kerric was in a charge even before his eyes had fully opened. The look on his face raw and primal, he swung the electrified sword directly at Luna’s head in an overhand blow. Her own sword came quickly up to block it, but shook heavily on contact. Kerric rained down a series of rapid blows against the quivering sword with enough speed that Luna never had time to consider a series counterattack. Inch by inch the human pushed it back, until finally the alicorn’s grip slipped.

Luna shrieked in pain as the electrified blade jabbed her in the chest, sending a powerful current throughout her body. Her nervous system thrown completely off, her limbs lost coordination and she toppled over onto the hard metal floor, adding more bruises to a growing collection of small injuries. Her legs and wings spasmed and twitched for several seconds as she lay there, panting.

The alicorn could hear footsteps over the sounds of clashing swords and the screams of other students, drawing near to her. A silhouette appeared in the corner of her eye, looking down at her radiating contempt.

“Pathetic.”


The newly-dubbed Harmony accelerated out of Yaga Minor’s planetary atmosphere at a relatively slow, easy-going pace. There was no need to appear as though they were in a rush, especially with several Victory and Venator-class Star Destroyers hovering protectively over the planet’s orbital shipyards. The fleet around Yaga Minor boasted a full half-dozen such massive ships, with dozens smaller cruisers and frigates interspersed throughout. Fighters in their thousands, ranging from older models from the Clone Wars to fresh off the line TIE models, were everywhere, running their patrols for any would-be pirates, rebels, or dissidents. All in all, the forces above the planet were a nerve-wracking reminder of Imperial military might.

As she stared out the cockpit’s viewport at the forces of the Galactic Empire, Twilight for the first time really felt in her gut the magnitude of the task that awaited her. This fleet by itself would be more than enough to tear through her homeworld like paper, and there were even more ships in the construction docks!

“This is Yaga Minor System Control to freighter designate Harmony,” a voice emerging from the ship’s comms declared. “Transmit authorization codes and flight path.”

“Yes sir,” said FA-4Z7B, the pilot droid currently flying the craft. It tapped several buttons on the ship’s control console while Twilight watched.

The alicorn, still wearing a human form just in case, waited anxiously as the system traffic controllers processed the data that had been sent. Everything was, as far as she knew, legitimate and in order. As long as no one thought to check too extensively into the identity she’d used to purchase the ship – which they probably wouldn’t, as the dealer was hardly reputable himself – there shouldn’t be anything off about her. Still, as the small freighter was slowly approached by an enormous Star Destroyer, Twilight couldn’t entirely suppress the feeling that it was about to open fire and disintegrate the lot of them.

“Your flight plan is approved,” the voice came back without warning.

Twilight let loose a breath she hadn’t been aware she was holding.

“Two fighters will escort you to the designated jump point,” the system controller continued. “Do not attempt to stray from your path. Failure to abide by this restriction will result in your termination.”

Twilight swallowed, but without facial features the pilot droid could not express any similar anxieties, if it had them at all.

A pair of standard TIE fighters broke off from their patrol to flank either side of the Harmony, watching it closely as it broke free of the planet’s gravity and zoomed by the precious shipyard facilities at an unthreatening distance. They accompanied the alicorn’s ship still further as it approached the edge of the planet’s gravity well, where travel to hyperspace would become possible.

“Mistress,” the dull-sounding pilot droid spoke up as the trio approached the point they had been given. “The navicomputer requires a destination. To where are we bound?”

Twilight worked up her nerves. This was it. The moment she had been waiting for. The moment when her mission to free her homeworld truly began.

“Set your course for Serenno.”

PreviousChapters Next