• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,119 Views, 50 Comments

Mystery Dungeon: Equestrial Plains - TheDeku



When Team Trailblazers appear in Ponyville, they find that teamwork and friendship are powerful forces. Good thing they're best friends, but they may not be able to handle what lies ahead.

  • ...
2
 50
 2,119

Ain't No Rest

Blitzle and Ponyta raced down Fluttershy's path and towards the library, Blitzle leading Ponyta. Twilight teleported there to meet them.

"... and I'll head back and see if I can grab enough wood from downed trees. if need be, I can snipe a few branches down. Try to take some pony with you, I don't think you can easily carry enough rocks and bricks to make it worthwhile. I'll try to get Sableye to help me, and wait-a-sec. Darkrai needs to be included in this. He should be with Fluttershy or Pinkie, I think he would be more than willing to lend a hand. Got it Ponyta?" Twilight heard Blitzle say.

"Got it! What about the food?" Ponyta responded, picking up twigs and branches from around the library.

"We'll worry about that later. Remember, that's the least of the Campfire. As Wigglytuff said, 'It's not about the food, its about the friends!', as you recall."

"Of course I remember. See if Spike is with Sableye, maybe he could help me out."

"HEY!" Twilight yelled, and she got their attention. "what are you talking about for a campfire?"

Ponyta turned to Blitzle. "Grab the wood. I'll explain." Blitzle left a trail of black and white zig-zag behind him as he headed back to the Everfree. "Okay, the campfire was this weekly thing that a bunch of teams did. They were the teams in or affiliated with the guild that don't live with the guild anymore. They did this as a way of getting together again and trading stories. It was also a way of trading around missions and jobs that had been given but were too difficult, or required abilities that a team didn't have. They met at Sharpedo Bluff and had dinner, traded stories, and had fun. wigglytuff found them one time, and was furious. They were having a get together about the guild and they hadn't let him know! He asked if he could expand it for the whole town to be a way of bringing everyone together, and the teams all agreed that it would be fun, but Team Charm, suprisingly, vetoed it unless one condition is fulfilled; that the campfire is run by the teams who had been doing it. Wigglytuff, always wanting to help bring everyone together, agreed but asked that they let everyone in town help prepare with stories, songs, food, and drinks. We've been doing these campfires for almost as long as I've known Blitzle and we've been a team. it helps make new teams more well known, spread some tougher missions or dungeons to another team or group of teams. Heck, it even managed to get them to be civil for once... anyway, it's Friday and we need a way to formally introduce us to the town, so that's the plan. Even if no pony else comes, we can at least have it ourselves."

Twilight looked dumbstruck. "Why didn't you ask for help? I'm sure lots of ponies in town would like to come and to help out in any way that they can."

Ponyta was delighted. "Any and all help is appreciated. Let's get started."

-----------------------------------------------------------------------

Blitzle was surprised at how many ponies came out to help. Darkrai had managed to be trusted despite looking like a monster to fear, and was helping Blitzle with Cut and Psychic. Several ponies were carrying the fire wood, others were getting all the rocks needed, others were making food. Darkrai, whenever it was at the in-progress fire pit, adjusted rocks so that damage to the ground beneath by fire was minimal. Finally, everything was ready. There was food, there were drinks, every pony had gathered by the fire.

Ponyta spoke up. "Thank you all for coming. I wasn't sure any pony would trust us or feel we were safe enough to be around, with my flame, his electricity and attitude -"

"Hey!"

"- and Darkrai feeling like he looks like a nightmare, but Twilight must have done something really big for you all to trust her like that. Speaking of hat she could have done, who would like to start with a story, or a song, or something of that nature?"

A voice in the tenor range called out. "Now hold on just a second, flame head. I think we will have a start."

Blitzle stood and began sparking. "You."

"Me. Gotta problem with that, Stripes?"

Blitzle looked around for the source of the voice. "Actually, yeah. Last time we met, you attacked my team from behind. We only barely drove you off."

Twiliht looked around. "Blitzle, what's going on? Who is it?"

Blitzle looked at her. "That, my friend, is -"

"Now how about I introduce myself, thank you very much," every pony turns and opens a path for the speaker. A large, purple skunk strolls up through the crowd, a floating purple ball and a blue bat just behind him. "Skuntank, leader of Team Skull, at your service. The bat is Zubat, and the ball is Koffing. Any questions?"

Ponyta stood. "When can you leave?"

Skuntank laughed. "Chaw-haw-haw! Is this how you treat those who ain't coming to do anything wrong? We saw the campfire, we came over."

Blitzle stared them down before sitting. "Fine. I beleive you. Keep in mind that we have a legendary in attendance whom I hope won't let you do anything that goes too far."

Darkrai nodded. "Unless you do, I won't do a thing. You said you had a thing to start with?"

Skuntank nodded, a smile creeping up. "It's my favorite song."

I was walkin' down the road
When out the corner of my eye
I saw a pretty little thing approaching me
She said "I never seen a man
Who looked so all alone
Oh could you use a little company?

And if you pay the right price
Your evening will be nice
And you can go a send me on my way"
I said, "You're such a sweet young thing
why you do this to yourself?"
She looked at me and this is what she said

Koffing and Zubat joined in for the chorus

Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay
I got mouths to feed
And ain't nothing in this world for free
No I can't slow down
I can't hold back
Though you know I wish I could
No there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good

Twilight looked at Ponyta. "Why does he like it? I mean, it isn't a bad song, but I've heard better."

Ponyta looked at her. "The chorus, mostly. We got this song from a Flygon, said he got it from a faraway land. Don't know what most of this means, I think."

Not even 15 minutes later
I'm still walkin' down the street
When I saw the shadow of a man creep out of sight
And then he swept up from behind
He put a gun up to my head
He made it clear he wasn't lookin' for a fight

He said give me all you got
I want your money not your life
But if you try to make a move I won't think twice
I told him you can have my cash
But first you know I gotta ask
What made you wanna live this kind of life?
He said

Oh, there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
I got bills to pay
I got mouths to feed
And ain't nothing in this world for free
No I can't slow down
I can't hold back
Though you know I wish I could
No there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good

Well now a couple hours passed
And I was sitting in my house
The day was winding down and coming to an end
So I turned to the TV
And flipped it over to the news
And what I saw I almost couldn't comprehend

I saw a preacher man in cuffs
He'd taken money from the church
He'd stuff his bank account with righteous dollar bills
But even still I can't say much
Because I know we're all the same
Oh yes we all seek out to satisfy those thrills

Everypony joined in for the chorus, even those who didn't know the song.

You know there ain't no rest for the wicked
Money don't grow on trees
We got bills to pay
We got mouths to feed
And ain't nothing in this world for free
No we can't slow down
We can't hold back
Though you know we wish we could
No there ain't no rest for the wicked
Until we close our eyes for good

There was a pause after the music faded, which had come in so subtly that no one had noticed it until it had really been in full swing. Skuntank's voice roared up. "Now THAT'S how you start a campfire!"

"I still don't see why you didn't try to pick a fight with us after last campfire," Blitzle said. "After all, I admitted that I planned all those pranks on you."

Skuntank laughed again. "Chaw-haw-haw! You think we don't know a losing battle when we see it? Besides, if we're on another world, as we think we are, we can't be the bad guys if we want to get home. Not necisarily the good guys, mind you, but for now we ain't gonna do anything. Lay the first punch, though, and let's just say our noxious gas combo is a bit more powerful here, among other things."

Darkrai spoke up then. "He isn't your enemy. His team may be greedy and selfish, bullies and cheats, but he is not really antagonistic. Nothing they have ever done meanly has been irreversible. If they hide something, it's in a place a rescue team can go get it, and they outriht state where they hid it. They may watch out for their own behinds, but they are not to be underestimated. They are a very strong team when able to get a start."

Spike suddenly belched up a letter, nearly hitting Sableye with it. "Hey Darkrai, it has your name on it."

Darkrai opened it and read it. "Hmm. I am afraid I must leave early on. A shame, the campfire was fun while it lasted. I look forward to interacting with you all more in the future." Darkrai melted into the shadows and left.

Wasting no time, Blitzle removes the momentary silence. "So, who's got a story to tell?"

Author's Note:

Team Skull? And they are good? Don't look so surprised, mis amigos, expect something big to happen even in little ways. As always, lemme know what was good, bad, what or whom should make an appearance, yadda yadda yadda. Have a good one.
-Deku