• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,119 Views, 50 Comments

Mystery Dungeon: Equestrial Plains - TheDeku



When Team Trailblazers appear in Ponyville, they find that teamwork and friendship are powerful forces. Good thing they're best friends, but they may not be able to handle what lies ahead.

  • ...
2
 50
 2,119

Racing in the Wind

"Okay Rainbow, before we do this, let's make one thing very clear. If I was my normal speed, I wouldn't be able to keep up with you at all, so this race is between you and magically faster me. Got it?" Blitzle and Rainbow were at the entrance of Ghastly Gorge, planning on racing through to see who was faster. They wanted to make sure that all rules and issues were good before they started.

Rainbow nodded. "Right. This course can be dangerous, so if either of us get stuck or hurt the race will stop immediately. Is there anything we may need to handle before we go?"

"Let's see... Genesect is escorting Chrysalis to Canterlot so she doesn't get attacked on her way to try to negotiate a peace for the changelings with Celestia, Spike got a letter confirming the meeting so Celestia knows that she is coming, Darkrai came in to speak with Victini, and Keldeo is helping Applejack and her family harvest their apples."

"I finished my shift on weather patrol for the day, so I have nothing happening today."

"Great." Blitzle sparked up for a second, before going to the start line they drew in the ground. "Ready?"

Rainbow flew down next to him. "Ready! On your mark..."

Blitzle pawed the ground. "Get set..."

Both of them rushed forward yelling "Go!"

The pair sped through the Gorge, avoiding all obstacles in their path. Rainbow had an early lead, but Blitzle was quicker to round corners despite the knee-high water and was able to close the gap. The Windy Cave caused Rainbow slightly more trouble than the grounded Blitzle, but the Cactus Field slowed Blitzle down quite a bit. The Quarry Eels caused neither of them trouble, and they had just passed the rock pile Rainbow had made last time she had raced through when a massive blast of wind sent them both tumbling backwards.

Blitzle shook his head. "Well, that wasn't supposed to happen."

Rainbow groaned. "Really? What gave you that idea?"

Blitzle ignored her. "Based on the force of the wind and direction it came from, I'd guess we can overtake whatever it is, especially if I can zap it."

Rainbow got back on her hooves. "What are we waiting for then? Let's go!"

-----------------------------------------

The pair looked everywhere for what had caused such a windstorm, but they ended up finding nothing.

"Unbelievable! Absolutely nothing! No windswept trees, no unnaturally blown fields, no sign of anything!" Blitzle was getting agitated. "Maybe it was just a freak breeze."

Rainbow sighed for a moment, but then got excited. "You said that Darkrai was in town? Well, why don't we have him try and go through our memories?"

Blitzle considered. They were right by the Guild, and Darkrai should have no reason to say no. "Alright, let's go check."

-----------------------------------------

"I can give no promises that this will work. Dreams, while based off of memories, are not always exact. I may be able to enter your subconscious and directly see your memories, but I do not promise on success. A Psychic type would have a higher chance of success, but I will see what I can do." Darkrai floated over to the pair. "Are you sure you wish to do this? I warn you, I will bring nightmares."

Blitzle and Rainbow nodded, and both got themselves into a comfortable position.

Darkrai nodded. "Very well. Dark Void." It shot two inkblot-like bolts of darkness, one at each racer. A sphere of pure darkness circled them briefly, and they fell asleep. "Let's see just what we have here..." Darkrai melted into shadow and into Rainbow.

-----------------------------------------

Darkrai looked around the dream. It was a racetrack, with a race starting. It noticed Rainbow and Blitzle, as well as several other ponies it didn't recognize. It saw trees start blowing in the wind that hadn't reached them yet and flew up to try and see what was causing it. Darkrai slowed down everything around it and saw a green blur slowly go by.

"Expected. There was little way that she could have gotten the details of what it was, but the fact that she got green and a vague shape is very good." Darkrai then proceeded to laugh. "Oh, this is good. I know exactly who it was."

-----------------------------------------

Darkrai woke up Rainbow and Blitzle. "Well? What caused this supposed ruckus?" Victini flew from one side of Darkrai to the other."

Darkrai nodded. "I not only am aware of what it looked like, but I know who it was."

Rainbow almost jumped onto Darkrai. "Well? What was it?"

Darkrai pushed her back. "There is no way that, even at such a high speed, anything could make enough wind to blow the two of you back unless it made wind under itself in order to mess with you two. In order for anything to do that, it would need to not only be able to make high-powered wind, it would also need to be able to move fast enough to get away from you two and be able to see down below it. There are few Pokemon who can do it, but only one is my size and green."

Victini giggled. "You had a run-in with Tornadus. It is such a prankster."

Blitzle thought. "Tornadus? Didn't Keldeo mention it?"

Rainbow nodded. "Yeah! They know must know each other."

Darkrai began to leave. "I will take my leave now. You shouldn't have too much trouble finding it." Before the others could ask what Darkrai meant, it left.

Victini sighed. "Whatever that means. Darkrai knows something we don't."

Then they heard the wind.

The three ran out of the Guild along with the rest of the Guild and found a windstorm in town. No buildings were being blown around, but everypony and everything was being blown around. Rainbow would have been blown away if Skuntank hadn't grabbed her and pulled her down. "You're not going anywhere. Blitzle!" Blitzle looked over. "Chatot and the rest of my team are still in the Guild, as are some others who I caught. Don't worry about them, try and electrocute that thing causing this wind!"

Blitzle nodded. He wasn't getting blown around too much by the wind as he braced himself, but he didn't know if he could hit it. "I'll see." He used Thunderbolt repeatedly, missing the first few shots but hitting the fifth. The wind immediately stopped and the green being that they thought was on a cloud flew down to them.

"Well what do we have here? Some grounded Pokemon, a Chatot, and a Pegasus. Perhaps I have found the correct place. Tell me, do any of you know a Pokemon known as..." Tornadus stopped talking as it saw another Pokemon behind Blitzle. "Victini! How long has it been?"

"A month and a half." Victini grumbled. "It should be three weeks, but SOMEONE didn't deliver my stuff on time."

"Your order was boring and not worth my time." Tornadus said.

"I live in a lighthouse and my room is locked to almost all visitors! My entertainment deliveries are worth your time, Landorus said so!" Victini complained. "I have millions of viewers on my streams! I need to keep them happy!"

"You play video games and invariably win! How is that enjoyable to watch?" Tornadus complained.

"Just because I win doesn't mean I perfect run when I'm not trying to and doesn't mean that it's boring or that everyone else loses." Victini glared at Tornadus. "I promised to play that new fighting game, but not only did it not arrive on time, I'm not at home to play it!"

Tornadus sighed. "Fine, fine, I'm sorry. Has Keldeo been around here?"

Blitzle nodded. "Yeah. You looking for it?"

Tornadus shook its head. "Looking for where it has been. Its been here, so I'm in the right place."

Chatot flew over. "For what?"

Tornadus smirked. "For finding the missing Pokemon, or many of them. Not that I chose to be here, but while I'm here I figured I could have some fun."

Rainbow glared. "You have fun by causing a tornado in a town and in interrupting a race?"

Tornadus nodded. "Absolutely. I used to have fun in being far more destructive, but that notion was... beaten out of me, so to speak."

Skuntank stopped the argument early. "Well, its good to know that we have some more Pokemon here to figure out what's been going on."

Victini sighed. "It knows, but it won't tell, right?" Tornadus nodded. "Figures. Hopefully no disasters happen while we're here that we have to deal with."

-----------------------------------------

"Please explain to me how only you having fun is better than others having fun as well."

"I would have less fun for the ponies to enjoy my chaos."

"But the total amount of enjoyment will be exponentially larger. The math doesn't add up."

"It does to me. They are my playthings."

"Playthings that have defeated you repeatedly because, to them, you are a menace to society."

"But they're wrong."

"Have you ever considered that they have feelings and wants and needs as well?"

"Well, no, but-"

"Then how can you be sure they are right?"

Destroy them all.

"Excuse me?"

"Ooh, another visitor to my head. Who might you be?"

Hmm... this is a good place to stop. I believe that I will stay here for a short while.

"That's very rude of you to stop in my head and fail to introduce yourself. Isn't that right, Deoxys?"

"It is... from your head... frozen in place... can't... do not... out..."

"What does that even mean?"

It means I have taken control, and once I have gathered my strength, I will destroy everything.

Author's Note:

I hate writing a sentence or two at a time before getting interrupted for a while. This chapter took FAR longer than it should have. So... yeah. Sorry for it taking so long, though, I really should have tried harder to finish this. Have a good one.
-Deku