• Published 9th Mar 2015
  • 2,119 Views, 50 Comments

Mystery Dungeon: Equestrial Plains - TheDeku



When Team Trailblazers appear in Ponyville, they find that teamwork and friendship are powerful forces. Good thing they're best friends, but they may not be able to handle what lies ahead.

  • ...
2
 50
 2,119

The Radio Home

"You dare fight me?" Victini flew into the air and circled Keldeo. "Your blade is too dull to cut apples, so why think it can hurt me?"

Keldeo narrowed its eyes. "I'm going to beat you, Victini!"

Victini sighed loudly. "Cut! Pause! Stop! Halt! Do not proceed!" It flew down to the very confused Keldeo. "What was that?"

"Me preparing to fight you?" Keldeo didn't know the answer, or even the question.

"Not that. Well, yes that but not quite that. Blitzle, do you know what that was?" Victini called to the onlooker, who ran over.

Blitzle laughed. "Not sure myself. Did the Swords of Justice fail to teach you banter?"

Keldeo looked between the two Pokemon. "What's banter?"

Victini groaned. "I'll be right back. Blitzle, teach Keldeo what banter is."

Blitzle watched Victini fly off before turning back to Keldeo. "Banter is what it is called when, before and during a fight, you exchange snarks at each other. Victini bantered you with the sword comment, and you responded badly."

Keldeo shrugged. "The Swords taught me fighting."

"Banter is a bit of an underhanded tactic depending on the situation, but usually is just amusing. The point of a good banter is to get under your opponent's skin and get them mad. When angry, you tend to fight more predictably, with more power and less thought."

Keldeo nodded. "Okay. How do you do a so-called good banter?"

Blitzle smiled. "Great question. Puns are always good, and alliteration, if used well, can be hilariously effective. The best banter is one that directly hits your foe. Make a joke about their weapon, name, ability, something they are proud of. Here comes Rainbow Dash. She can banter, so let's get her down here."

Unbeknownst to the two on the ground, Rainbow was already coming down to them with Victini. "Hey guys! Heard you needed some help with banter!"

Keldeo groaned. "Does everyone know how to banter but me?"

Victini laughed. "Don't be silly. Us three, however, do know how to use it effectively. Let's give some examples, shall we?"

Blitzle smirked. "Whatever you say, Losstini."

Victini gasped, looked mad for a second, and then began chuckling. "I didn't see that coming. That was pretty funny."

Rainbow was laughing too. "Good one, Slowpoke!"

Blitzle growled. "Thanks, Snailbow Dash."

Rainbow and Blitzle began arguing about who is the faster of the two until Victini got between them. "Race later, banter now. Keldeo, you remember the old Zubatman cartoons I showed you?"

Keldeo nodded. "The one with Adam East? Yeah."

Victini pointed at Keldeo. "The alliterations he used were banter. Try some of those."

Keldeo thought for a moment. "I'll wrangle you, you rambunctious rabbit! Is that good?"

Victini shrugged. "Great for a first try. I want you to be able to have at least five words alliterated by the campfire, alright?"

"Only five?" Keldeo asked. "I have a few days."

Victini humphed. "Would you rather it be a minimum of seven?"

"No, no. Five is fine." Keldeo answered quickly.

--------------------------------

After a couple of days, it was time for another campfire. Pinkie used it as an excuse to throw a pre-campfire-mini-party, only smaller than her usual ones in duration and snacks. She claimed she didn't want any pony to lose their appetite or be too tired for the campfire, but she was obviously disappointed. Meloetta had gotten a hold of a guitar somehow, and was tuning it against its own voice during the party. None of the attendees knew it could play, and it told them it learned in honor of a friend. At the campfire, it became a background noise during stories and conversations, and played along to songs. After a story about Lopunny, Wigglytuff, and a Perfect Apple, Meloetta stopped playing and cleared its throat. It looked around before resting its gaze just past the snack table.

"You have 5 seconds to drop the illusion and start explaining yourself before I unleash my Relic Song." It said, leveling a glare at the spot.

A Zoroark came into view. "I was discovering the source of noise and smoke. I am from Team Sneaky, and we were with Team Cascade. We were told to come here by Mew, a legendary Pokemon. Being the Guild's top recon teams due to being very hard to both find and catch made us a little suspicious about things being too easy. Seeing as how Chatot is here, I will go get the other Pokemon." She turned and fired a Shadow Ball into the air. After a couple of seconds other Pokemon came into view and began to socialize to varying degrees. The Vulpix stayed close to the Skitty, and silently got a bit of food before sitting down by the fire. The Shinx went over to Chatot and spoke excitedly, while Girafarig was spoken to by Victini. Ninjask stayed near Frogadier, Kecleon sat by Sableye, and Zoroark went over by Twilight. Lopunny asked Meloetta to start playing a song for her, explaining that Meloetta could just read her mind to pick up the tune. Meloetta gave her a grin, and began to play.

--------------------------------

Spinda passed around smoothies for all, and the campfire began. Wigglytuff was in the middle of telling an amusing story involving him, a Beedrill, and a bunch of Meowth when Gardevoir asked him to stop.

"Sorry... I just... I don't know, but I thought I heard something." She sighed. "Oh well."

Medicham shook her head. "No, wait... I hear it too. Sounds familiar."

Wigglytuff giggled. "Then sing along so we know what it is!"

Gardevoir nodded. "Once we know what it is, sure."

--------------------------------

Meloetta began to play, and Lopunny began to sing.

I was tryin' to find my way home
But all I heard was a drone
Bouncing off a satellite
Crushin' the last lone American night

Gardevoir heard a voice and recognized it immediately, and joined in.

This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?
This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?

Lopunny heard another voice, so she stopped to listen.

I was spinnin' 'round a dead dial
Just another lost number in a file
Dancin' down a dark hole
Just searchin' for a world with some soul

Medicham caught on, and joined in with Gardevoir.

This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?
This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?
Is there anybody alive out there?

Meloetta took over the next part, and its voice was heard not just in Ponyville, but also in Treasure Town.

I just want to hear some rhythm
I just want to hear some rhythm
I just want to hear some rhythm
I just want to hear some rhythm

Wigglytuff took the next part, cutting off Medicham.

I want a thousand guitars
I want pounding drums
I want a million different voices speaking in tongues

Lopunny, Medicham, and Gardevoir sung together, not knowing how they could do it when separated. They didn't care.

This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?
This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?
Is there anybody alive out there?

During the instrumental break, a spacial rift began to open in both towns. All were surprised, but Meloetta refused to stop playing. As they continued, the portal became stronger and more stable.

I was driving through the misty rain
Yeah searchin' for a mystery train
Boppin' through the wild blue
Tryin' to make a connection with you

This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?
This is radio nowhere, is there anybody alive out there?
Is there anybody alive out there?

I just want to feel some rhythm
I just want to feel some rhythm
I just want to feel your rhythm
I just want to feel your rhythm
I just want to feel your rhythm
I just want to feel your rhythm
I just want to feel your rhythm
I just want to feel your rhythm

When the song finished, Lopunny scrambled over to the portal to her team. "Girls! You're okay!"

Medicham laughed. "Of course we're okay! Are you okay?"

Lopunny smiled, tears of joy running down her face. "Absolutely."

Wigglytuff walked over to the portal. "Hmm... A spacial anomaly linking two different locations that chose to appear now... strange."

Chatot flew over to the portal. "Guild master! All of us are okay and ready to return home."

Wigglytuff shook his head. "No. This sort of thing doesn't just happen. We must have a presence on that world in case we are needed there. After all, if it turns out that nothing happens and you being there is all just random chance, Gardevoir can always teleport you all back."

Gardevoir looked at Wigglytuff, who was behind her and Medicham. "I don't mean to burst your bubble, but I'm here. I can teleport others, but only alongside myself."

Wigglytuff then got one of those grins of his that show that him being so 'out there' is just a facade and that he is far smarter than he lets on. "I am fully aware of how teleport works."

Medicham turned to look at Wigglytuff. "Then how can Gardevoir teleport them?"

"Like this!" Wigglytuff then shoved Gardevoir and Medicham through the portal. They ended up in a pile on Lopunny, but before they could get up Pinkie leaped on the pile with a cry of 'Pony Pile!'

Twilight lifted Pinkie off of Team Charm as she approached the portal. "It appears to have a similar magical frequency to the Elements. I think the Magic of Harmony and Meloetta's connection to music and singing used the connection between Lopunny and her friends to link our two towns." The portal fluctuated quite a bit.

Wigglytuff nodded. "Following that theory, the fact that Team Charm is now all there means that this portal should close. Keep things happy over there, Rescue Teams!" The portal closed itself before any more words could be spoken.

Lopunny sighed. "Oh Wigglytuff, always making things more... interesting, we'll call it. How about I show you two around?"

As the trio wandered off, Keldeo poked Victini. "I got it! Your rambunctious rampage of recreational randomness is about to be wrangled in, you rascally rabbit of ridicule!"

"Did you just banter me by telling me that I banter?" Victini asked.

"... maybe."

Victini cracked a smile. "Good job Keldeo."

Author's Note:

What's this? A new chapter? And it doesn't have any foreshadowing? And it has a fairly predictable plot point activated through a song? Who's writing this instead of me? In all honesty, I am a huge fan of the song used here, Radio Nowhere by Bruce Springsteen, and I wanted to bring Team Charm together again. The little banter portion at the top and bottom was fun to write. I have a question for YOU, the readers: Should next chapter be a special episode or more story? If story, then it will include the race between Blitzle and Rainbow. If special, you will just have to wait and see. Leave your vote in the comments OR as a message to me, I will count both. You have one week to decide, and the one not chosen will come directly after the chosen path. Have a good one.
-Deku