• Published 18th Jan 2015
  • 4,954 Views, 78 Comments

Something lost, Something gained - natis120



After a horrifying accident, the newest princess in Equestria is left blind. Rainbow Dash blames herself for Twilight's loss of vision. Along the way, the two begin developing feelings for each other.

  • ...
12
 78
 4,954

Chapter 1: How Princess Twilight was blinded

Equestria's newest princess walked down Ponyville's streets. Princess Twilight was a happy mare indeed. Signing the occasional autograph fillies and colts carried around with them and waving to the other ponies. She was on her way to check on Rainbow Dash, who was clearing the skies in a field on the outskirts of Ponyville. She decided to put her new wings to the test and tried flying to the field. It was difficult, but she managed to lift off the ground and continue her way to the field.

She soared in the skies and passed through the clouds, making them disappear in a pomf. Now she understood why Rainbow Dash liked flying so much. The wind passing through her mane and tail, the tingling in her wing's feathers and the adrenaline running through her veins. She felt alive! Almost as she could do anything! It was an incredible feeling and she didn't want it to end, but the field was approaching slowly and she had to land soon. Twilight noticed Rainbow Dash was bucking a big cloud in the distance. The cloud was black and each time Rainbow bucked it, it released a deafening roar and a bolt of electricity. But this wasn't a normal fluffy cloud, it was a thunder cloud. One of the most dangerous types of clouds in Equestria. This cloud was only found in the Everfree forest, for all Twilight knew they were not normal clouds and could move on their own without a pegasus's assistance. If a pony was electrocuted by a thundercloud, it could be paralyzed, severely injured, or in extreme cases, instantly die. This thundercloud looked like it could kill a pony. Twilight was confused at why Rainbow Dash was trying to clear it, they could not be cleared. Not even the strongest of pegasi or the smartest of unicorns could, not even Princess Celestia could. Not even she could.

"Rainbow Dash!" Twilight called. "Stop bucking that cloud!"

Rainbow Dash didn't hear Twilight calling her and continued bucking the thundercloud, not knowing the cloud was getting stronger with each buck she gave it, but Twilight did and she knew what was going to happen if Rainbow continued bucking it.

"Rainbow Dash!!" She called. If Rainbow continued bucking the cloud she would get electrocuted.

Rainbow finally noticed Twilight was approaching and smiled at her as she continued bucking the cloud. The thundercloud started to rumble and throw small and big bolts of electricity.

Twilight was beyond horrified, if Rainbow gave that cloud one more single buck, she was going to die. Rainbow was ready to give the cloud one last buck...BANG! the cloud rumbled as a large electricity bolt shot out of it.But before the bolt could connect with Rainbow Dash's body, Twilight flew as fast as she could towards Rainbow and shoved her out of the way getting her electrocuted.

"AHHHHHHHHHH!!!!!" Twilight could only scream as the thundercloud electrocuted her.

When the cloud finally stopped electrocuting her, Twilight fell lifelessly to the ground. Her fur was scorched, her mane and tail too, and her wings were burned. She had saved Rainbow Dash and sacrificed herself.


Twilight was slowly gaining consciousness but as she opened her eyes the only thing she saw was black. She could hear her friend's voices and faint sniffing noises but she couldn't see a thing.

As seconds passed Twilight remembered what she had done that day and developed a theory of why she couldn't see anything.
That thundercloud had blinded her.

"G-guys?" Twilight said in a raspy tone.

Everypony in the room looked at Twilight and the sniffing noises stopped.

"TWILIGHT!!!" Rainbow Dash yelled as she ran to her friend and gave her a bear hug. "Oh Twilight! I was so scared!"

Twilight's expression remained stoic. She was never going to see her friends again.

"I am blind now aren't I..." Twilight mumbled.

Rarity worked up the courage to say something to the now blind princess, "I suppose so. The doctors did everything they could." She said.

"They saved yer eyes." Applejack said. "But yer irises faded." She had removed her hat and her eyes were watery.

Twilight remained silent throughout the conversation. Her eyes were covered by thick white bandages, her fur had scorch marks, and her wing feathers were burned, some were black, some were missing, and some were broken in half.

"Twilight, are you okay?" Asked Fluttershy. "You are awfully quiet." She was the calmest in the hospital room along with Twilight.

Twilight nodded. She was not okay. She had lost her vision. But it was worth it. Right?

"Talk to us, Twilight!" Pinkie Pie screamed. "We need you! We need the old Twilight back!" Her hair was flat, her colors were strangely darker, and her eyes were watery.

She got her wish. "What happened while I was out?" Twilight asked.

"After you got electrocuted, you looked pretty bad. Steam was rising from you, your whole body was scorched, and your wings were banged up. I thought you were dead, but just in case I checked your pulse and heart beat it you proved to be alive. I took you to the hospital and got our friends. After a few hours the doctors finally let us see you. They said they tried everything they could, but they couldn't save your sight, but they at least managed to save your eyes." Rainbow Dash said.

Twilight thought for a minute. "Did you inform my family?" she asked.

"Yes, your mother is coming to help you out next week, your father is busy and he won't be able to make it." Rarity said as she handed Pinkie Pie a handkerchief with her magic to wipe her tears. "Your brother and Cadence will visit in a few days and Princess Celestia will visit tomorrow."

"Thanks Rarity. Can you guys come back in a little while? I want to rest." Twilight said.

Rarity smiled, "Of course, Twilight." She said. "Come on girls lets go."

Rarity and the girls exited the room and let Twilight to rest.

Author's Note:

Yay! My second MLP:FIM fanfic!:yay: I don't know when the next chapter will be out.