• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 2,525 Views, 183 Comments

Cute Trouble - Evowizard25



Pizzelle thought being a parent would be easy. Unfortunately, no matter how nice a young kitsune is, trouble is sure to follow.

  • ...
4
 183
 2,525

Epilogue {First Letter}

Ponyville’s library was never busy. There were days that it had a fair amount of business, but ever since the last librarian quit due to a ‘Quickfix’ related issue, it was nearly a deadzone of sorts. That wasn’t the case today. The area around the tree house was bustling. Several ponies were moving back and forth, carrying all sorts of items. Many of which looked like they belonged in Celestia’s own castle. They were in a way, but not anymore. They were following their owner to their new home.

Said owner was lounging on a sun stylized throne with rather plushy, red pillows beneath her. Sunset Shimmer sipped on a little lemonade drink as two pegasus fanned her with large, wind fans. Given their innate magic, the fans could cool someone off well enough even if they were standing in lava. Sunset didn’t mind the heat. She loved it, but she really just wanted to put on a show. “Moving is such hard work.”

“It would be if you actually did anything,” Spike commented as he idly held a suitcase the size of a mare on his shoulder. Earth dragon strength was comparable to earth ponies, though dragons did have a bit of an advantage. He stopped to give her a judging frown.

Sunset always hated that frown. He got it from their mother, but unlike their mother, Sunset would just brush off her brother’s concern. Well, she would have. Not now. Not after she almost lost him. She fought back the horrible memories and the urge to hug him. She’d hug him later when there weren’t so many ponies around. “I’m a princess. I shouldn’t have to perform menial labor. That’s why we have servants.”

“Well this isn’t exactly the nicest way to treat them,” Spike commented as he put the suitcase down on the ground and leant on it. “I do believe mom told you to send her reports on friendship and working our servants to the bone isn’t going to make you any friends.”

“I already have friends,” Sunset snorted, taking another sip. “I can work with them. These ponies are being paid to serve me. I don’t need to be their friend.”

“No,” Spike frowned, furrowing his scaly brow. “Stop. This is exactly the sort of thing that made you feared across the country. Not to mention what you said before coming to Ponyville.”

“Okay,” Sunset huffed. “You don’t have to gripe so much, Spike. I’m still new to this whole friendship thing. I promise I’ll lighten up.” Sunset smiled and nuzzled her little brother, before she turned to the ponies before her. Her gaze hardened as she saw some of the ponies slacking off. “Pick up the pace!” Her horn flared and a whip of fire shot forth and cracked over their heads. “You’re being paid to move, you idiots!”

Spike sighed and licked his claws. He pinched the end of Sunset’s horn, cancelling her fire spell. She yelped and glared at him. “What? I’m just trying to help you lighten up.” He chuckled as she continued to glare at him.

“You’re insufferable,” she said.

“You’re a hothead,” Spike countered. “Come on, sis. You need a dragon to cool you off. A dragon. That oughta tell you something about your temper.”

“Pfft, as if.” Sunset rolled her eyes. “I’m fine just the way I am. Besides, you’re not like other dragons so that analogue doesn’t work. You’re far too even tempered.”

“You’ve got me there,” Spike relented with a smirk. “But can’t you just try, for me.”

“Of course,” Sunset pulled him into a hug, nuzzling him. She didn’t hug him as often as she’d like. It hurt knowing that she needed him to be put in mortal danger to realize that. She loved her little brother and she was going to step it up a notch as his big sister.

“You’re a little huggy today,” Spike chuckled as he returned the embrace.

“I can be huggy if I want to be,” Sunset smiled. That smile left her when she heard the two ponies fanning her ‘awww’. She glared at them, noticing that they had stopped. “Don’t you two have a job to do.” She snorted as they doubled their efforts, ending the hug as well.

“Sunset!” Pizzelle’s shout drew Sunset’s attention and she waved off the fanners. The two bowed and trotted off, looking rather relieved. On her back sat Aki Hikaru, the little kitsune they had met that dreadful night.

“Hey Pizzelle,” Sunset said idly. “What brings you here today?”

“Oh I just wanted to stop and chat for a bit,” Pizzelle stopped short of the throne and bowed her head.

Sunset frowned. “Don’t bow. Friends don’t bow,” she tapped her chin. “At least, I don’t think they do.” She shrugged. “Still getting used to this ‘having friends’ thing.” She trotted off her throne.

“I can imagine,” Pizzelle chuckled. “Now I just wanted to talk a bit. You mentioned that your mother wanted you to send her reports on friendship?” At Sunset’s nod, Pizzelle continued, “Well I think I learned a little lesson over the last few days. I know it may not be much and I’m sure Princess Celestia has better things to do with her time, but every little bit helps.”

“I appreciate it,” Sunset smiled. ‘Huh, never had somepony help me with an assignment without my mother ordering them to. Maybe I shouldn’t have tried to set a few of them on fire. Though, I am justified when the idiots can’t even follow a simple instruction correctly or forget that I am indeed a princess...Wow, I really was a jerk.’ Sunset cringed inwardly at a few harsh memories. She made sure to remind herself not to burn her new friends. Well, unless they did something stupid or messed with her home. Teleporting them away was still an option and Shade still earned a bolt or two.

“I’ll go get you some paper and a quill,” Spike said as he headed off inside.

“I’ll join you,” Pizzelle lightly put Hikaru down. “Now you stay here and be good for Princess Sunset, Hikaru.”

“I will, Miss Pizzelle.” Hikaru nodded, earning him a kiss on the forehead as Pizzelle trotted off.

Now Sunset wasn’t one you could call ‘child-friendly’. Mostly because she avoided dealing with kids. She just didn’t know how to deal with them, or rather, she just didn’t want to. She’d make an exception for Hikaru, but she still felt a little uneasy about how to do it. “Umm...Hello, Hikaru.”

“Hello, Princess Sunset.” Hikaru bowed.

“No bowing,” Sunset said. ‘If I am going to impress mom with my friendship skills, I have to put aside my pride. Besides, I can get the servants to bow in their place later.’ “And call me, Sunset.”

“Okay, Miss Sunset.” Hikaru smiled in a way that made her want to pick him up in a hug.

Sunset shook her head and chuckled. “Good enough. So, how’re you doing? I haven’t seen you in days.”

“I’m staying with Miss Pizzelle,” Hikaru said. “She wants to be my new mommy.”

Sunset blinked in shock, but quickly shook herself out of it. She remembered Pizzelle mentioning a couple of times how much she wanted kids. Honestly, she was all for Hikaru being adopted. She vividly remembered her own childhood and how much Celestia made her feel special when she took her in. “I’m happy to hear that. Everyone deserves to have a family.”

Hikaru frowned. “I really like Miss Pizzelle and I do want her to be my mommy, but….”

“You don’t want to lose her like your real mother,” Sunset finished for him, sighing. “I was like you once. Alone and without a family.”

“Really?” Hikaru’s eyes widened. “But I thought the Princess was your mommy forever.”

Sunset frowned and looked away. “I wish she was. My heart wouldn’t ache like it does if that were true. No, I was an orphan until Celestia chose me and my brother to be her family, just like Pizzelle chose you. The difference between us is that I never knew my real parents. You did and they loved you, right?” Hikaru nodded. “Good. You can take your time, Hikaru. She’ll love you regardless.”

Hikaru was silent for a moment. “Is Celestia like a real mommy to you?”

Sunset chuckled and ruffled his head fur with her hoof. “What kind of question is that? Spike and Celestia aren’t blood related, but they’re my real family. Now stop frowning. Let’s go get you some ice cream.”

Hikaru smiled. “Yay~”

_________________________________________________________________

Celestia rarely visited Canterlot’s dungeons. While they held some of the worst creatures and foes she had faced, they weren’t anything she couldn’t handle. Most of the troublemakers that could make her sweat were kept in Tartarus. This time was different. There was an extra special prisoner held here and she wasn’t going to wait any longer to see her.

“My princess,” Fervent, the head of Celestia’s Holy Inquisition, spoke as he boldly walked alongside his monarch. He still made sure that she was in the lead. He would never dare insinuate he had to lead her anywhere. “Do you honestly think this is worth your time? She is the goddess of the moon and darkness. I hardly think we have any hope in redeeming her.”

Celestia quickly turned her head to look him in the eye, causing him to pause as he beheld her grace and power. “Do you doubt me?”

“No,” Fervent shook his head, bowing low before her. “I would never. Forgive this pony for touching on the faithless line of heresy.”

“You are forgiven,” Celestia moved on. “I know you are concerned for me, Fervent. I thank you for that, but you must trust me on this. Luna is my sister. My blood. With all my heart, I believe she can be saved from herself. I will not abandon her. Not again.” ‘Never again.’

“Any being would be lucky beyond measure to share your blood,” Fervent replied.

Celestia didn’t feel up for commenting on that. She knew that such ideologies were necessary to keep her kingdom in order, they could sometimes be exasperating. It hadn’t taken them long after to reach their destination. It was the lowest point in Canterlot, barring the abandoned crystal mines of yore. Nopony ever used those.

The cell they were visiting today was among the most well enchanted prison cells in the entire country, only losing out to the spells laid upon Discord’s tomb. There were two Immortals, large undead former Knights who served beyond death, standing guard. Immortals stood taller than even Knights, a good head or two so. Sometimes even larger. These two were twice Celestia’s size. All that was left of their original bodies was bones and armor of old. Over most of the exposed body were blue flames. These flames were the necromantic energy that kept them alive and could be weaponized against future enemies.

With them were six Bearers of Flame. They wore flame retarded, yellow clothes and had a set of protective eyewear. On their side they bore a long tube like object. It was a flamethrower of sorts, spewing Celestia’s own enchanted fire magic. Each weapon was imbued with a little bit of Celestia’s own magic. The ponies would fight to the death to keep these weapons out of the enemy’s hands or whatever they held things with.

“Luna,” Celestia spoke. “Are you awake?”

The figure inside the prison cell stirred. Each of her legs were shackled with magical steel. A large metal band had been wrapped around her horn and wings to prevent her from doing any type of magic. As she stood up, the shackles rattled about. “Do not call me that, Celestia. I am Nightmare Moon. Luna died eons ago.”

“No matter how many times you say that, I still don’t believe it.” Celestia smiled and laid herself down in front of the cell.

“Why have you come here?” Luna growled, turning to give her sister a piercing glare. “To mock me?”

“I simply wanted to talk,” Celestia used her magic to teleport a letter to herself. She cast her gaze upon it, thankful she had something to distract her from Luna’s gaze. It pained her to see Luna like this. “I just received a letter from my son.”

“The dragon whelp,” Luna scoffed. “It just shows how decrepit you are to take a dragon for a child.”

Celestia ignored that remark. “It’s about Pizzelle, one of the Element bearers and the lesson she learned while taking in Aki Hikaru.”

“And I should care...Why?” Luna snorted.

“I thought I’d keep you updated on Sunset’s friendship reports,” Celestia smiled.

“Friendship reports?” Luna blinked in confusion, before falling over in laughter. It echoed with mad delight as she thrashed about in her shackles. Calming herself, she sneered. “You really have gone senile. Friendship isn’t something you can study. It’s worthless. Pointless. It’s a disgusting little waste of time and thought. No wonder Equestria is still plagued by enemies to this day. You’ve let it grow weak. WEAK!” She shouted in anger and rage, rushing as close as she could to Celestia. Her jaws snapped as if she was trying to bite the elder alicorn’s throat. “I will make it strong again, Celestia. I will bring us back to our former glory.”

“You’re wrong,” Celestia sighed. “Friendship has kept us together and standing strong. We would be nothing without it.”

“Lies!”

“It defeated you, didn’t it?” Celestia quirked an eyebrow. Luna just sulked in place, unable to say anything to that. Celestia shook her head, feeling a bit guilty for pulling that card. “Nevermind.” She opened up the letter. “Dear Princess Celestia.”

“I’m going to hate this,” Luna put her hooves over her ears childishly, causing Celestia to giggle as she continued.

‘I remember when she did this as a foal. She always hated studying.’ Celestia’s smile was warm and gentle as she continued to read the letter. For a moment, she would pretend that they were silly kids again who ran through the fields as their mother watched with a smile. For a moment, she could forget that they ever hated each other. For a moment, she would forget how fate had ripped everything they had once loved into pieces.

It could only last for a moment, but Celestia was going to cherish it as she had done her own children. ‘Perhaps I’ll move Apostle’s cell close to Luna’s own so she can have company when I’m not here.’ She put that thought aside as she continued reading.

Author's Note:

Finally finished. Took me far too long to do that and I apologize. Things come up. Hopefully it won't be so bad for the next installment.

I hope you all enjoyed this story and please leave a comment. :twilightsmile: