• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 2,525 Views, 183 Comments

Cute Trouble - Evowizard25



Pizzelle thought being a parent would be easy. Unfortunately, no matter how nice a young kitsune is, trouble is sure to follow.

  • ...
4
 183
 2,525

School preparations and night time problems

Pizzelle did everything in her power not to fidget in her seat. She was so sure of herself that this was a great idea, but now she was having doubts. It wasn’t the office or school atmosphere. She loved the place and she often visited to give Cheerilee and her class treats. Cheerilee sometimes would reprimand her for spoiling them, but Pizzelle could tell she appreciated the breaks. She couldn’t understand why. Pizzelle adored children.

What really got her fidgety was how Cheerilee was going over the paperwork. Her hair was tied in a bun and she was was wearing a simple, silver necklace. She had a few bags under her eyes and her coat didn’t have its usual luster. ‘Poor dear probably isn’t getting enough sleep.’ The past few days were rather tiring for everyone. Losing so many ponies and the threat of Nightmare Moon took its toll.

Pizzelle was a naturally outspoken mare who thrived on the talk of the town. So naturally, the sheer silence of the moment was killing her. Cheerilee hadn’t spoken a word to her for nearly ten minutes. All she had to listen to was shuffling paperwork. She had half a mind to simply shout or anything to break this silence. ‘Oh dear, oh dear, what if she won’t accept him?’

Thankfully, that little fear didn’t get to fester for Cheerilee closed the pamphlet and smiled up at her. It was tired and strained, but it was still genuine. “Miss Pizzelle.”

“Yes?” Pizzelle did her best not to stutter in fear. This was it.

“I have come to a decision about Aki Hikaru’s enrollment,” Cheerilee stated.

“And?” Pizzelle eagerly leaned forward. Cheerilee didn’t say anything for a few seconds, before chuckling. Pizzelle pouted. “You are such a tease.”

“I know,” Cheerilee said. A little of her hollow appearance seemed to lift with the little joke. “I honestly see no reason to block it.”

Pizzelle squealed, reached over the desk, and pulled Cheerilee into a bonecrushing hug. “Oh thank you, thank you. Oh bless Celestia, thank you. Little HIkaru’s going to make so many friends. I should know. I loved school. Such a wonderful place.”

“But,” Cheerilee pulled out from the hug and straightening herself up. “I just want you to know that he might have some trouble adjusting. He would be the only non-pony in my class and I have no idea on what sort of education he’s received. We’ll have to start off the year on easier subjects and I’ll see if I can find some tests for him.”

Pizzelle nodded. “Oh yes, standard. Standard indeed. I wouldn’t want my little kitsune to fall behind. I know my way around quite a few problems, so I’ll help catch him up at home. Shouldn’t be a problem. I tutored my fair share of children when I lived in Vanhoofer.”

Cheerilee nodded. “Yes, I’ve read your file. I think you’ll be a splendid mother come Bon Bon’s approval. Speaking of which, have you told her of this action?” When Pizzelle didn’t say anything, she frowned. “I see. Well, I’ll be sure to tell her soon enough. I’ve dealt with High Sun Priestess Bon Bon many times over the years. She’s stubborn and hard headed, but I think I can get her to agree with me on this. I’ll do my best to help you raise Hikaru. Celestia knows he deserves a loving family after the ordeal he went through.”

Pizzelle nodded, thankful everything had worked itself out. “Oh yes, very true. Very true indeed. Hikaru deserves the very best and that’s what I’m going to do for him. That’s why I knew you were the pony to go to, Cheerilee. He’s going to fit right at home here, just like me.”

“I’ll do my best,” Cheerilee put a hoof over her mouth to stifle a yawn.

Pizzelle frowned, casting a concerned look to the teacher. “Dearie, have you been getting enough sleep? That’s a stupid question, of course you haven’t. I’ve seen this far too many times to count. I did visit a few camps on the griffin border and let me tell you, those poor dears were exhausted with all the late night patrols. I know it’s what we have to do to keep an eye on those dreadful griffins, but still. Sleep is important.”

“I know,” Cheerilee sighed. “It’s just…...I’m not looking forward to this school year. With everything going on and how many of the children were traumatized and orphaned….”

“Ahh,” Pizzelle nodded in understanding.

“Whatever may come,” Cheerilee stated. “I’ll do my best to help them. That includes your soon to be son. I hope he hasn’t been giving you trouble. I hear kitsune can be problematic.”

“He’s been an angel,” Pizzelle decided to leave out a few things of course. “The dear is absolutely precious. I don’t see how he could possibly be problematic. That is just horseapples, pardon my language. I’ve met plenty of kitsune in my time and they were a delight to know. Why, I even met the king once. Delightful fellow, if a bit senile in his old age. Dreadful business that is. Simply dreadful.”

“Well, if that’s the case,” Cheerilee smiled. “I do believe he’s in capable hooves.”

“Of course he is,” Pizzelle beamed. “I’m a natural. I’ve read up on several books about caring for foals and Notepad, you know, that sweet stallion in charge of keeping tabs on our records and library upkeep? Well, he assures me that they’ll do me wonders. ‘Books are the cradle of all knowledge’, he tells me and isn’t that the truth.”

Cheerilee quirked an eyebrow. “Yes, but books sometimes can’t hold a candle to experience. Are you really up to this task? Children are never easy, Pizzelle.”

Pizzelle laughed. “Cheerilee, I was born ready.”

“Very well then,” Cheerilee opened up a little compartment in her desk and pulled out a stack of papers. “I want you to have Hikaru fill these out by the end of the week. It’ll help me get a feel at what level he’s at.”

______________________________________________________________________________

Pizzelle leaned back into her bed. A little eye mask with her cutie mark on them was sitting upon her face. It had been a tiring day dealing with, well, pretty much everything. Honestly, she found it a bad omen to start off on such bad luck. That didn’t discourage her from this at all. She was even more determined to help Hikaru out and raise him right. That’s why she was so looking forward to school tomorrow. ‘Pizzelle, you aren’t the one going to school, you silly filly.’ She giggled to herself.

Before she could fall asleep, she felt something tugging on the blankets. “What…” she pulled the mask off to look at Hikaru. “Hikaru? What are you doing up? It’s past your bedtime.”

“I’m thirsty,” the little kitsune said. “Could I have a glass of water, Miss Pizzelle?”

Pizzelle sighed. “Of course, dearie.” She pulled the covers off herself and got out of bed.

____________________________________________________________________

Pizzelle hummed in delight as she got back into bed. Little Hikaru didn’t know where the dishes were and she wasn’t about to let him get hurt while looking for them. Now, she could rest.

She felt something tugging the blanket. “Miss Pizzelle, I have to pee.”

Pizzelle sighed. “Right, just follow me.”

_________________________________________________________

Pizzelle got herself comfortable under the sheets once more. She didn’t think he really had to go, it was too soon after his drink, but he was a child. They had weak bladders and such. She didn’t have to worry about it anymore. She put him to bed like the previous two times and he was going to stay there.

“Miss Pizzelle,” Hikaru spoke up. “Can I have another glass of water?”

___________________________________________________________________________

It went like that for a while. It was getting to the point that Pizzelle wondered to herself if she ever was going to get any sleep that night. ‘Don’t grumble. This is for your son.’ She told herself.

As she tucked him in, she paused as she looked at Hikaru. He wasn’t closing his eyes and was glancing around. She hadn’t thought anything of it before, but now she was suspicious. “Hikaru, dearie, is something the matter?”

“....No.”

“Are you sure?” Pizzelle asked, resting a comforting hoof on his back. “You can tell me, sugar. I won’t bite or anything like that. I just want to know what’s wrong. It’s almost like you don’t want to go to bed.”

“...I don’t.” Hikaru muttered, curling into himself. “When I go to sleep, I see them.”

“See who?” Pizzelle asked without a second thought. She cursed herself. She had an inkling as to who he was talking about and that was the last thing a child needed to have on their mind.

“The bad ponies,” Hikaru whimpered. “They...They took them and…They wanted to hurt me.”

Pizzelle quickly climbed into bed and took him into her arms. She was thankful that the bed was adult sized. She didn’t have any beds his size at the moment. “My poor baby.” She stroked him as he cried. “There’s nothing to be afraid of. There aren’t anymore bad ponies here.”

“But…” Hikaru started, hiccuping as he cried.

“Listen to me,” Pizzelle pulled back to look him in the eyes. “Those bad ponies can’t get you anymore. We locked them up and if they did escape, I’d protect you.”

“You...You would?” Hikaru sniffed.

Pizzelle nodded. “Of course I would, sugar. I care for you. I’d do anything to make you happy and there is not a thing I wouldn’t do for you. No one’s going to hurt you. I promise.”

“...Okay.”

Pizzelle nuzzled him. “But if you’re that scared, I’ll sleep with you tonight.”

“You will?” HIkaru looked up at her with glistening eyes.

Pizzelle smiled and nodded. “The bad ponies wouldn’t think to hurt you with me around. I’ll show them what for, like I showed them during that night. I was one of the ponies that made that rainbow that beat them up, remember.”

Hikaru nodded. “I liked that part.”

“I’m glad you did,” Pizzelle used her feathers to clean his eyes. “Now please, go to sleep. You have a big day tomorrow and you’ll need some shut-eye.”

Hikaru nodded and yawned. “Thank you, Miss Pizzelle.”

“No….thank you, Aki Hikaru.” Pizzelle kissed his forehead and joined him in slumber.

Author's Note:

A little chapter to tie you over and something I really wanted to do.

I hope you all enjoy and please leave a comment.