• Published 19th Jan 2015
  • 2,525 Views, 183 Comments

Cute Trouble - Evowizard25



Pizzelle thought being a parent would be easy. Unfortunately, no matter how nice a young kitsune is, trouble is sure to follow.

  • ...
4
 183
 2,525

Hospital Conflict

Pizzelle sat by Hikaru’s bed. In the last couple of hours, she hadn’t moved from that spot. She couldn’t. Some just thought she was frozen in place, for her expression and gaze never changed. It was just locked on the little kitsune as he slept peacefully. The only part of her that moved was her shimmering eyes and her quivering lips. A tear would occasionally fall down her cheeks.

“I’m sorry. I…” She was at a loss for words. Everything that ran through her mind seemed just wrong to say right now. ‘It’s my fault he’s like this. I should have known. I should have asked about his diet. Why? Why didn’t I? I’m an idiot.’ She kept hammering herself over and over, but it was never enough. She felt like she was an utter failure. She couldn’t even think about baking.

“You deserve somepony better,” Pizzelle spoke, stroking his mane. “I’m not the mother you need. I’m just…” She sighed. “A failure, that’s what I am. I want you to be happy, but look at what I’ve done to you. What kind of mother poisons their own child?” Her voice wavered and she tried to keep down her sobbing. “Maybe it would be better to...to…” She couldn’t say it. She didn’t want to send him away. She wanted to be a mother so badly and she loved him so much. He’d only been with her for a few days, but he had wormed his way into her heart.

“Ow, ow, ow,” Shade limped into the room, breaking Pizzelle away from her turmoil. One of his back legs was bruised and he did his best to keep off of it. “Well there goes my job. Figures.” He looked to Pizzelle and smiled. “Hey Pizzelle,” he frowned. “You’re crying.”

Pizzelle wiped away her tears with her foreleg. “It happens, deary. I’m an emotional mare. Very emotional. It runs in the family. You did not want to be caught up in one of my grandmother’s fits. She would go on for hours and nearly make you deaf with how loud she would get.”

“We aren’t talking about your grandmother,” Shade took a seat next to her. “You’re the one crying.”

“Aren’t you supposed to be training with the militia?” Pizzelle wondered why he’d still be here. If he was wounded, he should be accompanied by another militia member or at least still have his uniform.

“Got kicked out,” Shade huffed. “Don’t ask me how….I don’t want to talk about it.” Given how he winced at the memory, Pizzelle kept her mouth shut. Of course, she’d pester the other militia ponies later about this. “Now why are you crying?”

“I’m...going to have to give up Hikaru,” Pizzelle sniffled.

Shade smiled. “You adopted him? That’s great.”

Pizzelle blinked in confusion. “But I said I’m giving him up. Didn’t you hear that?”

Shade quirked an eyebrow. “Of course I did. I just don’t believe it. Besides Redheart obviously, you’d be one of the best mothers in the Element line up. Well, I think so. You just remind me of my mother is all and she would never just let me go. She was the best mother anyone could hope for.”

“Was?” Pizzelle didn’t like what that implied.

“She got eaten by pirahnas in a tofu factory,” Shade frowned. “Yeah, my family doesn’t have the best of luck. It’s hereditary. I was on my own until Apostle found me and that led me here.”

Pizzelle pulled him into a strong hug. Given her Earth pony genes, it was almost bone crushing. “I’m so sorry!” She cried into his fur.

Shade gagged and teleported out of her hold. “I am so glad I learned that spell,” he huffed. He looked back to her. “It’s okay. It’s been a while and again, runs in the family.”

“But she was your mother,” Pizzelle sniffed.

“Yes she was,” Shade said. “I needed her to tell me I was stupid for considering Apostle’s help. I needed her to make me smile. I needed her to say that she loved me one more time. I will never hear her voice again or feel her warmth. I loved her, but she’s gone now. I would give anything to have her back, but that’s not going to happen.” He pointed at Hikaru. “He needs you now, Pizzelle. Don’t be stupid and let him go for whatever reason you’re thinking about. Don’t make him lose another parent.”

Pizzelle was stunned by his words. It was honestly annoying how often she was at a loss as to what to say lately. Shade’s outburst was surprising. She would make sure to bake for him often and give him lots of cookies and hugs from now on. Her mother instincts kicked in and then she looked at Hikaru and it burst forth. How could she think about giving him up now? Oh yes, she had a rough time these past few days. That didn’t mean she had to give him up. She loved this little kitsune.

She’d be cursed if she ever just threw him away.

“Shade!” Redheart called out, before trotting into the room. “What are you doing in here?”

Shade gulped. “I was just, you know, going about for a walk?”

Redheart gave him a stern gaze. “You shouldn’t be walking on that leg. You need to keep off it, or it’s going to keep being sore.”

“Can’t you just get a healing spell or something?”

“With how much dark magic is running through your system, that would be detrimental.” Redheart explained. Which was true. The realm of darkness didn’t mix well with the other realms, to the point that ‘healing’ spells of other varieties either wouldn’t have any effect or make the wounds worse. She trotted over and nudged him into an empty bed. “Since you’re here, just hop into one of these bed and be quiet. Hikaru’s trying to sleep.”

“I’ll keep my mouth shut,” Shade grumbled as he got into bed.

“Good,” Redheart nodded. She turned to Pizzelle and her gaze softened. “How is he?” She trotted over slowly and smiled down at the kitsune.

“Better,” Pizzelle gave a weak smile of her own.

“Just ‘better’?” Redheart asked. “No long stories about your own adventures or gossip?” When Pizzelle shook her head, the nurse frowned. “It’s going to be alright.”

“I know,” Pizzelle kissed Hikaru’s forehead. “I’m going to make sure of it.”

“WHERE ARE THEY?!!” Bon Bon’s voice came rolling into the hospital like a hurricane.

“Well I just remembered I have to be somewhere else for something really important,” Shade teleported over to the doorway and winced when he found himself on his bad leg. He walked out the door. “Ow...well, see you-” He was cut off when he was slammed aside by Lyra as she skidded to a halt.

“I tried to stop her, but she wouldn’t listen to me.” Lyra panted. “Wait, did I hit something a moment ago?”

“No,” Shade’s pained voice called out.

Lyra beamed. “Good.” Of course Lyra was thrown to the side when a tipsy and angered Bon Bon pushed her out of the way. Given her strength, it sent her flying. “Don’t worry. I’m okay. Shade cushioned my fall.”

“I’m happy to help,” Shade croaked out.

“You,” Bon Bon held her staff shakily in her hooves. Her bloodshot eyes pierced through Pizzelle. She wasn’t currently wearing her priestess outfit, which was a bad sign since priestesses rarely took them off. “YOU!” She shouted and pointed her free hoof towards the baker. She staggered but kept herself upright. “You hurt him.”

“I didn’t know he couldn’t eat raisins,” Pizzelle shook in fear. A sun priestess wasn’t the sort of being you wanted glaring at you.

“You still hurt him,” Bon Bon waved her hoof about. “He’s in the hospital, Pizzelle. THE HOSPITAL! I trusted you to keep an eye on him and-” she staggered again and clutched her staff for support. “-this is how you repay me? By poisoning a child.”

“He’s fine, priestess.” Redheart spoke up, causing Bon Bon’s glare to turn towards her. However, Redheart took in stride. She was used to dealing with angry or bitter ponies in her hospital so it didn’t affect her. “It was just a tummyache. He’ll be right as rain in the morning.”

“You’re covering for her,” Bon Bon walked over to them and there was something off about her smell. It carried an alcoholic tang to it. “You may have wielded the blessed Elements, but you’re just ponies. Ponies can be evil. They can hurt and they can kill.”

“We aren’t going to hurt or kill anyone, Bon Bon.” Redheart stated. “Go home and get some rest. As a qualified medic, I say you need it desperately.”

“I will not sleep until we are safe again,” Bon Bon said. “I don’t need it. I have Celestia’s holy presence to guide me. No slumber will take me from helping this town. No more death. That’s why I’m taking Hikaru tomorrow and shipping him to Japox.”

“You can’t!” Pizzelle earnestly spoke up. It was amazing Hikaru was still asleep. Of course, Redheart had given him some sleep medication so that could be an answer.

“I will for his safety,” Bon Bon snorted. “Hate me all you want, but this is for the best.”

“Bon Bon, you’re drunk.” Redheart pushed her away. “Go home.”

“I am not drunk,” Bon Bon thrust her sun scepter at Redheart, forcing her to retreat. “I’m perfectly fine! So shut up and listen to me. I’m doing what’s best for us. No one else is going to die under my watch. I won’t let it happen!”

“No one’s going to die,” Redheart earnestly said. “The battle’s over. Ponyville is safe.”

“It’s not safe,” Bon Bon struck the floor with the butt of her scepter. The strike lit up the room with holy light magic and died down. “It’s not safe until I say it is and I know for a fact it isn’t. So shut up, Redheart. I am the high sun priestess. My word is law. Hikaru leaves for Japox tomorrow.”

Pizzelle felt like a fire was just lit up in her chest. It spread until her whole form was consumed by it. In a fit of determination, she stood up from her seat. “No.”

“No?” Bon Bon stared at Pizzelle incredulously. “No?!! You dare to tell me no?”

“Somepony has to,” Pizzelle stated. “You remind me of this stallion named Overtime I met on my travels with Presto. He was a nice stallion, but his troops were hit badly by the griffins. So badly that he vowed never to let them get caught off guard again. He drove himself mad, Bon Bon. Very mad. He started thinking and doing things he never thought to do before. He drove his troops up the wall and they got sick of it. He was relieved of duty by a sun priestess.”

“I will not be relieved,” Bon Bon shouted, her sun scepter charging up. “I am the High Sun Priestess of Ponyville. I am not some soldier. I know what I’m doing. So be quiet.”

“Bon Bon,” Lyra quickly ran into the room, stopping short of the entrance. “It’s me, Lyra. You know, you’re best friend. I’m not sure if you’ve gone off the deep end yet.” Lyra’s eyes shrank when Bon Bon gave her a pointed glare. “Okay, so you might have a little. Not a lot. That’s good.” She nervously smiled.

“Lyra,” Bon Bon growled. “Take these ponies away. I’ll stay with Hikaru until he is moved.”

“Don’t you think you’re taking this too far?” Lyra asked, walking closer to her friend.

“No, no, no,” with each word, Bon Bon advanced towards her until the two mares were right in front of each other. “Lyra, listen to me. Hikaru is leaving. He’ll be safe in Japox.”

“You’re taking this too far,” Lyra squared her shoulders and gave her friend a tough look. “As an Inquisitor in training, it’s my duty to safeguard this town.”

“Yes that’s mine too.”

“You’re abusing your power, though.” Lyra admitted. “You’re taking him away from Pizzelle because of a few mishaps and before the allotted time. Time you gave them.”

“Shouldn’t we do something?” Pizzelle whispered to Redheart. She didn’t want to see these two fight. They were practically family given how close they were.

“It’s best not to get in between them,” Redheart whispered back. “They’re likely to tear us apart if we do.”

“When did you become so smart?” Bon Bon sneered. “You’re just a big dog pony. Act like it.”

Lyra’s jaw dropped. It was clear that she was hurt by those words. “You...You promised you’d never make fun of me for that.”

“For what?” Bon Bon scoffed, swaying. “For being raised like a mutt. Let me tell you something. You’re being a pain now shut up and let me do my job, mutt. Go play with your sticks or whatever.”

Lyra did something none of them thought she ever would do. Lyra Heartstring slapped Bon Bon. Hard. “SNAP OUT OF IT!”

Bon Bon held her stinging, red cheek and gawked at Lyra. “You hit me.” She muttered more to herself.

“Because you’re not Bon Bon,” Lyra growle, choking back tears. “You’re not my friend. You’re just some shell that’s taken her place. I know you’re a good mare. I know you’re hurt, but this isn’t going to change it.”

“She’s right,” Redheart stepped close to the sun priestess, but gave her enough breathing space. “Priestess, please listen. You need to calm down and get some rest. You’re stressing yourself to the point of breaking.”

“I will not break!” Bon Bon shouted, her voice amplified by her holy magic. It pushed everypony away with dazzling golden energy. “I will protect my town. No more death. No more pain. I will right our wrongs and fix everything. I’m taking Hikaru and that’s that.”

Shade teleported in front of the bed. “If you want him, you’ll have to go through me first.” Bon Bon pointed her sun scepter at him. “In hindsight, I should have seen this coming.”

Of course, Bon Bon never did strike. She fell limp the moment a pistol butt was smashed into the back of her head. “Dreadful business this is,” Time Turner remarked, having arrived shortly with all the shouting going on. “I’m just glad I got here as soon as I did. A charged blast of holy magic would have killed you, Shade.”

“Well I’m not dead, so thanks.” Shade remarked.

Redheart sighed and picked up the priestess and put her over her shoulder. “I may not be an expert on this sort of thing, since I prefer dealing with physical ailments, I’ll see what I can do for her.”

“Why not use a therapist?” Shade asked.

“He was killed during Nightmare Moon’s attack on the town,” Redheart lamented. “Not ten hooves away from me.”

“Oh….” Shade looked away, ashamed that he had been a part of that attack.

“No matter,” Redheart smiled, giving him a motherly nuzzle. “I don’t blame you. You’ve turned a new leaf and you want to repent. That’s more than most heretics can claim.” She turned and trotted out of the room. “I just need to get her to a secure location so she doesn’t blast anypony when she wakes up.”

“I’ll go with you,” Lyra softly nuzzled her unconcsious friend. “She needs me more than ever.” Redheart nodded and the two trotted away.

A soft yawn was heard. Pizzelle turned to see Hikaru stirring. “Miss Pizzelle, did I miss something? There was some loud noises and…”

“No dearie,” Pizzelle smiled and walked over to kiss his forehead. “It wasn’t much of anything. Just get your rest.”

“Okay,” he gave her a little smile before resting.

Pizzelle nuzzled him. “Sweet dreams. I love you, little one.” She meant it and she wasn’t going to fret over this anymore. She’d keep Hikaru. Not just because she wanted to be a mother, but because he needed her. Well, she needed him to and perhaps Bon Bon needed the both of them. Time would only tell.

Author's Note:

Alright, almost finished. Not happy how long it's taking to finish this story since it was meant as a small one and I wanted to get to my next Shimmerverse stories, but life and my other works struck. Oh well. Just one or two chapter more and I'm aiming to finish this by next month.

I hope you all enjoyed this chapter and please leave a comment. They are much appreciated and do really help.