• Published 27th Dec 2014
  • 4,718 Views, 157 Comments

Shimmer-Shammer Dizzle-Dazzle - Shaud



Two ex-villains share some coffee and forge a friendship that might just be more than it seems. Meanwhile someone else is working on something that may just succeed where Adagio failed.

  • ...
7
 157
 4,718

A Not-Date (Part One)

The next morning Sunset woke up the the feeling of her phone vibrating under her pillow. It took her a moment to remember that she had gone to the Helping Hands shelter the night before, and that was why she had a pillow.

"Mmph. Hello?"

"Goodness, Darling! Are you not up yet? It's almost ten and you have a date at noon!"

"It's not a date." Sunset grumped as she sat up. The room she was in was empty, proof that it was in fact later in the morning.

"Yes, well, a 'get together,' then." Rarity corrected herself, "Anyways, Applejack says that you should try and talk the Dazzlings into coming to school again. We agree that it will be easier to keep an eye on them than way."

"Makes sense." Sunset, now more awake, was digging in her backpack for her tooth brush. She had to get in the shower before eleven at the latest, make sure she had money, try not to talk to anyone who might kick her out or steal her stuff...

"What are you going to wear?"

Oh. Right. Clothes... She groaned, My clothes are on the other side of town! There's no way I could get them in time! She hadn't brought all of her stuff with her to the shelter for a few reasons, the main one being her stuff tended to go 'missing.' She kept a few jackets and her valuables in her locker at school, and the rest of her clothes in a duffel bag at an abandoned fort in the woods near the school.

At the moment, she only had the clothes she had worn yesterday.

"Oh, don't worry about it, Dear!" Rarity heard her tone and assumed she just hadn't thought of it yet, "I can find an outfit for you! I'll throw one together right now."

"Are you sure?" Sunset hesitated. Was this the same Rarity as the day before? The one that made a face at the mention of Sunset liking a girl? What's going on?

"Certainly! I can come pick you up, if you want--"

"No, that's okay," Thinking quickly Sunset attempted to get off the phone before Rarity could ask about her address, or any other personal questions. "I'll meet you at the boutique in a bit, okay?"

"Suit yourself. Ttfn!"

Sunset rolled her eyes and proceeded to walk towards the showers, stuffing her phone in her pocket. After making sure no one was around, she began to get ready for the day.


"Come on in, Sunset, I found the perfect outfit." Sunset let Rarity drag her inside the boutique, wondering if somehow a changeling had snuck into the human world and replaced Rarity. The duo walked towards the back of the store, and Rarity opened what looked like a section of the wall, but was actually a door to another room.

Is she some kind of spy? Sunset wondered. She realized there were figures in the dimly-lit room. With a dramatic flair Rarity flipped a switch on the wall next to Sunset.

"Ta-da!" Sunset blinked as she came face-to-face with... herself? She gave Rarity a pointed look.

"Is that a manikin of me?"

"I have manikins of all of my friends, that way I can make outfits for them in my spare time."

Definitely a spy. "...When did you get my measurements?"

"That's unimportant. Your hair was the tricky part; to be honest I just don't understand the shape of it. Thankfully I was able to get it pretty close."

This is too creepy. Sunset cringed. Finally, however, she decided to look at the outfit on the manikin. The shirt was a short-sleeve, light blue one, close to her eye color. The pants were black with a white, vine-like line going up the left side. It was simple and not too fancy, exactly as she wanted.

"It's awesome." She grinned and looked at her friend.

"Oh, so glad you like it!" Rarity gushed. "One problem with it; I couldn't find anything close to your sun design, so the pants have this instead." She turned the manikin around and revealed that the back of the pants had a blue diamond on the back-left pocket.

"It's fine," Sunset waved her off, "I like that it's more like my eyes. Thank you." She said this sincerely, touched by her friend's dedication to the outfit.

"You're most welcome! Now hurry and change!" Rarity pushed the girl into a nearby changing room, the outfit following soon after. Sunset chuckled at her friend's enthusiasm and figured she had better hurry if she didn't want to be late for her date.

Like a date, duh.

Sunset had her own reasons for telling her friends it wasn't a date. Between their reactions to her talking to Adagio and Rarity's... Whatever, Sunset just didn't feel comfortable telling them. She felt bad, and she knew she should tell them, but something about it just... Didn't feel right.

"Rarity..." Sunset took a deep breath, "Why are you helping me so much? You didn't seem too enthusiastic yesterday."

There was a shuffling on the other side of the door, and Sunset imagined Rarity fiddling with her hair. "Oh, Darling, I just..." Rarity sighed, "I suppose my reaction yesterday was a bit off-putting, hm?"

Sunset didn't respond. Rarity began again, "And I apologize for that. I was... Caught off-guard. At the idea of you and Adagio. And, well, you and a girl. But I meant what I said, when I said there was nothing wrong with you liking a girl." She sounded sincere, and Sunset blushed. "I'm more worried that she might try something to hurt you."

"I guess I just took it... Kind of personally. Back in Equestria, ponies don't care about those kinds of things. Well, I'm sure some do, but it's not like here. Where people hate each other for being gay." Sunset adjusted her jacket and opened the door. Rarity stood on the other side, a frown on her face.

"That must have been horrible. Moving to a society with such extremely different views."

"It's terrifying." Sunset looked away, not making eye contact, "It's one of the reasons I dated Flash. To hide the fact that I'm... Different."

"But being different isn't a bad thing." Rarity put a hand on her shoulder and frowned when Sunset wouldn't look at her. "Sunset, we're your friends. We don't care who you like, so long as you're happy."

"I know." Sunset whispered, "But it's been me versus this world for so long. I learned three years ago that differences are weaknesses. This world is cruel, and there aren't any monsters, or demons, or Gods of chaos to blame it on."

Rarity was shocked into silence for a moment. After realizing she had no response, she wrapped her arms around Sunset's shoulders. "I'm sorry."

Sunset leaned into the embrace. "It's not your fault."

"It doesn't have to be my fault for me to feel sorry that it happened."

"Thank you, Rarity."

"Of course. And please be careful with Adagio. We have no way of knowing if her intentions are truly good, and I don't want to see you get hurt. Whether it's a date or not."

Sunset blushed again. She realized she couldn't keep it from Rarity anymore. She had told her so much already."... Actually, the thing with Adagio is supposed to be a date. But I don't know how I feel about it yet, so I don't want the others to know."

"My lips are sealed."


"Your lipstick is messed up." Aria snickered at the panicked look on Adagio's face at the comment. The purple siren had never seen Adagio so nervous about something before, and she sure as hell wasn't about to let the opportunity to mess with her go by.

"What? No it's not! Stop messing with me!" Adagio scowled at her fellow siren, "Next time you have a date, I'll be sure and hide all of your things."

"At least I don't panic." Aria smirked. She was sprawled on the couch, as dusty and dirty as it was, and she was enjoying the sense of power she had over Adagio. "You act like you've never gone on a date before."

"I haven't in about twenty years!" Adagio pointed out with a growl, "It's practically a different event altogether now!"

"Well, it's not my fault." Aria countered dryly, "I was wondering why you never seemed interested in your past... Endeavors. Poor Dagi has been in the closet all this time."

"Don't you even start!" Adagio scowled, taking a menacing step closed to Aria. "I found the chest binder under the bed. I'm not the only one hiding things."

Aria sputtered and sat up swiftly, "What?! Th-that's-" Her face paled as she attempted to explain herself, before giving up and sneering, "That's irrelevant. Just don't forget the real purpose of your date. Don't let her go converting you to the light side."

"I know what I'm doing." Adagio said in a low voice, "It's just another seduction. I can do it."

"I don't doubt that you can." Aria paused, "Now that I think about it, I thought you liked that blue girl with the white hair."

"Miss Talkes-In-Third-Person? No, thanks."

Aria snickered. There was a moment of silence between them. Aria thought she had got away with changing the subject, but Adagio hadn't given up yet.

"...so..." Adagio smirked, "What's with the binder?"

"I told you, it's nothing." Adagio didn't miss the way Aria's face went red, or the way the other girl gripped her left sleeve in her right hand, like she often did when she was nervous or upset.

"Mh-hm. So I guess, if it's nothing, we could just throw it out?"

"No!" Aria realized she had fallen into a trap, and stood up swiftly. "It's none of your business what it is, so just drop it!"

Only when Aria left the room did Adagio wonder if she had upset her friend.

She deserved it, for giving me a hard time. Adagio figured as she sat on the couch.

Thoughts of Aria aside, her mind turned to Sunset Shimmer. Or, more importantly, the date. Adagio knew the purpose of the date was to convince Sunset that she was good, and then from there convince her that they were better off being bad. Aria had come up with it, figuring that since Sunset was a reformed villain herself, all they had to do was get back in touch with her more devious side.

But getting her to be a bad girl again and getting her to help them were two different things. Sunset had said she wanted to help, but what about getting their magic back? What will it take to get her to help us? She wondered, Saying please? More dates? Sex? All were reasonable forms of bribery for the situation at hand, but Adagio wondered if they were enough.

Glancing at her watch, a hideous pink thing with a fairy on the face, Adagio decided she would have to think on her feet.

It was almost time to meet Sunset for the date.

Author's Note:

Rarity, for me, is one of the hardest characters to write. Rainbow and AJ, give them opinions and have them fight for/about them. Pinkie is random. I forget about Fluttershy a lot. But Rarity? Errrr....

Also genderqueer Aria because reasons. But don't worry that won't be a major part of this story. If this story gets a sequel, then we'll talk.