• Published 27th Dec 2014
  • 4,718 Views, 157 Comments

Shimmer-Shammer Dizzle-Dazzle - Shaud



Two ex-villains share some coffee and forge a friendship that might just be more than it seems. Meanwhile someone else is working on something that may just succeed where Adagio failed.

  • ...
7
 157
 4,718

Comments and Concerns

Aria Blaze was in quite the predicament.

She slouched in her seat as those around her stared at her. Her scowl made many look away, but not all of them.

It wasn't the staring that bothered her, though. It was the fact that she had to go to school As Aria, not Blaze. Ever since the incident with Trixie she had rather enjoyed the name she had given her masculine self, even if it was cheesy.

The main problem, however, was that Trixie attended that school. And it wouldn't be long before she realized who exactly Aria and Blaze were. Aria didn't think it would raise a fuss or anything, and she certainly could control Trixie. But the fact that she knew, while even Adagio and Sonata didn't, made her on edge.

Why am I even in school, anyways? She huffed, I've almost got that spell perfected, and then no one will bother me again. She allowed herself a small smile. She had confidence that things would go her way once she harnessed the limited magic in the human world.

But, for the time being, she was still stuck in high school with a diva who knew her secret.

Aria scowled at her desk and ignored everyone around her as she worked on a possible plan. She had her beanie with her, at least, so if she needed she could tuck her hair in. She didn't have her binder, but her vest hid her chest fairly well at least.

And Adagio kind of knew what was going on. She knew parts, at least. So if Aria had to disguise herself at least Adagio would only tease her, at worse. Sonata probably wouldn't react at all, which was a comforting thought.

She sighed to herself. Part of her was glad, in a way, that Trixie knew who Blaze was. She had never introduced herself as a boy to anyone, and it was a terrifying experience. But it had gone well with Trixie, something she never would have expected.

But there was still meeting her again. And if Trixie wanted an explanation...

The bell rang, and the class filed out into the halls. Aria pulled on her beanie and stuffed most of her hair in it before she joined the crowd of students.

Make it up as I go, I guess. She mused to herself. She had made up more important things on the spot, and she highly doubted anything Trixie could throw at her would really affect her in any way. Though she figured she was better safe than sorry.

Might be a good idea to get Adagio on my side for this one, though. She cringed slightly. At best, maybe Adagio could keep Trixie off her back should something go wrong. Of course, that meant telling Adagio more than she had originally planned about herself, and she wasn't sure if that was a good idea.

Though she hated to admit it, Adagio was very much like a big sister to the other two sirens. While Aria normally resented this, she just hoped that, this time at least, she could use it to her benefit.

Or it could all blow up in her face. Who knew.


Sunset was more than a bit surprised when Applejack led her to the music room. When they walked in she saw Rainbow, Rarity, and Fluttershy also in the room. She furrowed her brow and tilted her head.

"Okay, what's going on?"

"It's... about Adagio." Applejack sighed and sat on a chair. Rainbow sat on the ground and Rarity grabbed the chair next to Applejack's. Fluttershy and Sunset stayed standing.

"Really? Again?" Sunset visibly deflated. "This is like the fourth talk about this. What could you possibly say about her this time?" Her irritation spiked and she crossed her arms angrily.

Ever since their first date (Sunset reluctantly called it so; she didn't know what else she could call it) her friends had been supportive but doubtful. Any conversation about the Dazzlings led to talks about Adagio, and if Sunset was sure and safe and not being mind controlled.

They had good points. That was what made Sunset mad.

"We're just trying to look out for you." Rainbow said defensively.

Rarity nodded. "Indeed, Darling. We just don't want to see you hurt."

"We've had our... concerns about Adagio." Applejack said slowly. She looked deep in thought, and her brows furrowed together. "Concerns for you. But that doesn't mean we don't want to support you."

"The first time could be supportive. Maybe the second. But all you guys ever seem to talk to me about is how bad she is, and how awful a decision this is, and any other bad thing you can think of." Sunset practically snarled, which had surprised them. "You've never once asked if I was happy. It's always been about your concerns, how you can't trust her."

The others didn't respond, different levels of shock on their faces. Sunset took a deep, calming breath.

"I don't trust her completely, we've been over that. But I don't trust any of you completely, either." At their indignant protests she held up a hand.

"No, listen. I don't trust any of you completely, and I think you know why. I think it's why you're so quick to blame Adagio. You think she'll leave me like you did."

The silence that followed was thick, and none of her friends could look at her. The mere reference to Anon-A-Miss was enough to punish them, she knew full well, but she knew that would explain their motives. They didn't want to see her hurt again, and she respected that. Appreciated it. But there was a line, and they had crossed it.

"We saw how you reacted to being alone." Fluttershy whispered. She had already begun crying, of course, and Sunset cringed. "We saw how awful you felt, and we didn't want anyone else to do that."

"And Adagio..." Rarity looked up, apologetic, "Even without her magic she's a threat, certainly. But as your girlfriend, and someone that could hurt you... We didn't want to see it happen."

"She is a real threat, to some degree." Applejack said firmly.

Rainbow nodded. "But... You know how to handle yourself, I suppose..."

It was as close to an apology as Sunset would get, and she was okay with that. They would continue to snoop and protest, of course, but to a degree she couldn't blame them. She wouldn't say it out loud, but she was scared of Adagio, too. Their jump into a relationship made her on edge and uncertain, there was no denying.

But she also knew how Adagio felt. The crash from the high that is having power. The feeling of the Elements stripping you bare. The pure loneliness and self-hatred that came with a failed plan. Sunset ached as she thought about it, and thought about how Adagio felt. Sure, Adagio had her sisters, but she had been the leader. Her and Sunset understood each other on a deeper level than any of the others.

Maybe a relationship was too much. Sunset had already thought of that. But at the same time, it was the only thing she felt she could do. She knew what it was like to project feelings onto those that save you, no matter how that may be.

And at the beginning of the week, she never would have thought they would last. But as the week went on she had found she actually liked Adagio and she hoped that the feeling was returned.

"I just... Don't want to talk about this any more. I'm tired. If I need help, I can ask for it. Most of the time." She smiled, and the others offered weak smiles as well. "As of right now, nothing's wrong. That may change, of course, but you guys really don't need to tell me all of this over and over again. I got it."

Rainbow nodded. "We'll back off."

"But you must tell us the moment something goes wrong." Rarity looked at Sunset with large, concerned eyes.

"Of course." Sunset promised. "Now... We should all get to class. Who knows how much trouble we'll be in."

They all agreed, and Sunset stayed happily in place as her friends hugged her. She grinned and waved as she walked out of the room and down the hall before she finally disappeared from sight.

"...Plan B, right?"

"Eeyup."

Author's Note:

I know I said genderpunk Aria wouldn't be a big deal, but I actually managed to work it into the plot a bit. So this won't be like a coming out/slice of life thing, but it WILL affect the plot. Especially where Adagio, Aria, and Trixie are involved.

Also that scene with the Rainbooms sure wrapped up quick... Normally that would be a flaw in my writing style, but this one might come back to bite Sunset and the others in the butt, so to speak.

And hmmm, wonder where Sonata and Pinkie are? Surely those two couldn't cause trouble on their own, right?

Comments ( 22 )

nothings wrong

Nothing's.

6556585 PFFFF HOW do you always find something omg, I spell and grammar checked AND re-read it this time.

I guess mistakes are inevitable, though. Thanks for the correction! It's been edited.

"...Plan B, right?"

"Eeyup."

It doesn´t matter to me if they are right or not, I hope they get their own punishment for still acting against Sunset´s wish, and I believe now they even lied to her.

6556760

it doesnt matter if they are right or not I hope they get their own punishment for still acting against Sunset´s wish

thank you that is the exact response i was hoping for

True to your word, two chapters in the span of a few days! Is it safe to say that this story is alive and kicking again?

6557068 Eeyup! I hope to actually finish this now lol

6556760

Eh. It depends, really. If someone you loved was dating a sadistic psychopath, would you just talk about it a couple times and then sit off to the sidelines submissively waiting for them to get hurt? (The most likely outcome)

If they're going about this intelligently I won't hold it against them. Working quietly where Sunset can't know what they're doing, setting up a safety net so in case everything goes to shit she doesn't fall as hard as she otherwise might have. Preparing to soften the blow so she doesn't break all the way.

If they're going into this being great big dumbasses, and already they seem to be carrying the idiot ball hivemind (that scene made it feel like Sunset was talking with one character with multiple names rather than several other individuals) thinking they'll save her and be respected for it, then no. I'm going to start throwing shame their way. Then again, it's also a sad fact that even if you do save someone against their wishes in a situation like this, they'll hate you for it. The irony is they'll usually hate you for it if you let them get hurt, too. People suck.

6557456

Eh. It depends, really. If someone you loved was dating a sadistic psychopath, would you just talk about it a couple times and then sit off to the sidelines submissively waiting for them to get hurt?

And that's where Sunset understands. She get's that Adagio isn't a person to be trusted, and that something bad could very well happen. However, this leads to your next (correct) point:

If they're going into this being great big dumbasses, and already they seem to be carrying the idiot ball hivemind (that scene made it feel like Sunset was talking with one character with multiple names rather than several other individuals) thinking they'll save her and be respected for it, then no.

They don't just want to help Sunset, as sad as that is. They want to redeem themselves by villainizing Adagio, to a degree. They also have a slight "Sunset is ours" mentality, which will also be addressed. Eventually they will all form their own opinions, but right now they have that hivemind mentality as seen in the comics; they believe it to be a black and white situation that they all must agree on.

In other words I need to hurry up and write this before you guys spell out the entire fic in the comments section tbh

6557487

/summarizes the rest of the unwritten plot
/run out of town with pitchforks

6557537 :rainbowdetermined2: I'll kick you out! BANNED! BANNED BANNED!

or you know I could actually just write the damn thing and solve this problem altogether :twilightoops:

6557902

Wait, what? Why would these things exist in the human world? Did I miss something?

Remember that this is a parallel world, so Discord and Star Swirl were probably real as well. Just how thin is the veil between these two universes? And how thin was it several thousand years ago?

If the HuMane 5 can count as that world's alternate elements of harmony, what would someone like Star Swirl or Discord equate to? Philosopher Star Swirl? At least, I would assume. And remember Star Swirl knew of the human world, at least enough to banish the Sirens there. You think he would just do that on a whim? What exactly did he know about the human world, that made him think the sirens could be banished there?

Just some food for thought.

man, if this is how Sunset's friends act when they're being supportive... :facehoof: I really like how Sunset handles this talk, her frustration is reasonable and believable. (wow, are we talking about the holiday special comic? I'm impressed that you're taking that mess into this story, general approval); I'm with Sunset on this one, what are they trying to achieve by keeping them apart? better to wait and pick up the pieces if several talks haven't done anything yet... Plan B indeed :rainbowlaugh:

"Her and Sunset understood each other" 'her' should be 'she' :trollestia:

She knew what it was like to project feelings onto those that save you, no matter how that may be.

^ seems kind of creepy, like Sunset thinks Adagio feels strongly for her because of their respective positions - not for who Sunset is as an individual
and good, I was gonna say something about the lack of Sonata in this story :heart:

Or it could all blow up in her face. Who knew.

A realistic assessment of possibilities. Unlike a magic car out of nowhere. :twilightoops:

"No, listen. I don't trust any of you completely, and I think you know why. I think it's why you're so quick to blame Adagio. You think she'll leave me like you did."

OH, critical hit!
Can I just say how gratifying it is to see Sunset call them out for that? As opposed to acting like nothing ever happened, like the 'magic of friendship' wasn't momentarily kicked in the stomach by that whole event? Kind of like Twilight did after the Changeling Invasion?

Nice to see that they are showing concern for her now, at least, even if not in the best possible way. :pinkiesmile:

6557936

Remember that this is a parallel world, so Discord and Star Swirl were probably real as well. Just how thin is the veil between these two universes? And how thin was it several thousand years ago?

Yes, and all the older, alicorn-magic-wielding princesses we know are highschool principals/deans. Things may not be very proportional over here, but little about the EQG world seems to make sense to begin with. :twilightsheepish:

If the HuMane 5 can count as that world's alternate elements of harmony, what would someone like Star Swirl or Discord equate to? Philosopher Star Swirl? At least, I would assume. And remember Star Swirl knew of the human world, at least enough to banish the Sirens there. You think he would just do that on a whim?

All we're told (I think) is that he sent them somewhere their magic wouldn't be as dangerous, but I'd like to think he at least did a little homework before throwing dangerous entities through time and space. However, given the approach to most powerful evil forces in the old days, learning he did to that on a whim, just say 'Screw it, you three aren't my problem anymore' wouldn't surprise me in the slightest.

Anywho, if it's a world in which Aria can, apparently, find the kind of magic she needs as easily as popping into the right book store, doesn't that mean Star Swirl kinda goofed anyway? I'll have to wait to see the spell in question to be sure, of course. :trixieshiftright:

What exactly did he know about the human world, that made him think the sirens could be banished there?

I don't know if there are rules for what can and can't be chucked through a wormhole. Twilight and Spike got through just fine and I never saw anything to suggest it was more complicated than walking through a really disorienting door. :derpyderp2:

6558020 ...okay you got me there. But for the sake of fanfiction imma make it seem like this universe makes at least some sense. ...Huh... the opposite of what fanfiction usually does...

And glad you liked it! Honestly that part is just... so good. And there aren't a lot of fics that have Sunset stand up for herself like that, which is odd to me.

6558078
Oh, nonsense, some (me) say fanfiction is meant to make sense of canon! :pinkiehappy:
Or at least put an interesting spin on it.

And, I think Sunset just quietly going along with whatever she's dealt kind of fits the (for lack of better words) 'beaten dog' situation she kind of found herself in post Fall Formal; hated by pretty much everyone and not willing to risk losing the only five hands around that are willing to feed her, so to speak. Plus, I think it's easier to depict warm friendship as being forgiving to a fault, even if it means flat-out ignoring some pretty odd things for friends to do to one another.

There are plenty of fics out there dedicated to exploring that very phenomenon, actually, from Luna's thoughts about having been locked in the moon (possibly as opposed to having been executed), to Rainbow having a little talk with her friends about a certain masked hero, even to Twilight having second thoughts about just leaving the now-powerless sirens to fend for themselves. :twilightsmile:

This is cute. Can't wait for the train wreck.

new chapter pleas

Are you ever gonna continue this one? Because i really like this story and i'd hate for it to be dead.

This is cute and fun and makes me wonder what Aria's planning. Hope we get to see more. :twilightsmile:

Congratulations, you have earned a spot on The List!

i.postimg.cc/sDLsnphg/Princess-Columbia-s-List-Badge.png

Your story, Shimmer-Shammer Dizzle-Dazzle, was considered worthy of spreading around to as large an audience as possible. The blog post explaining why can be found here.

Login or register to comment