• Published 30th Apr 2012
  • 16,076 Views, 554 Comments

A Changeling to Remember - Blueheartpegasus



A lost and hurt changeling runs into the Mane Six.

  • ...
35
 554
 16,076

Chapter 9

Ditto opened her solid purple eyes. She noticed that she was screaming and closed her mouth quickly. She saw a shadow in front of her, and forced magic into her horn so she could light up a bit and see who it was.

"Who?"

"Oh, hello, Owloysius." Ditto sighed with relief. "Did I wake anyone up?"

"Who." The owl turned his head 180 degrees around and hooted again. Ditto looked around him and saw Twilight looking at her.

"You didn't wake me up." Twilight said quickly, "I was up late studying."

Ditto nodded and laid her head down on her bed. It had all been a dream. The other Changelings hadn't invaded and she hadn't been flung into the air again. She tried to go back to sleep, but her mind was whirling. There was one thing in her dream that she couldn't understand.

What had the book been?

"Twilight?" Ditto asked. Twilight didn't say anything, but Ditto saw her turn her head in the faint lamplight. "Is there a book in this library that is sort of small and pink?"

"That's an odd question." Twilight said. "There are plenty. Did you need one?"

"No, I was just wondering." Ditto closed her eyes and sighed. She decided she would look in the morning, so she tried to drift off to sleep.

----

"Hey, Ditty!" Ditto suddenly jumped backwards, startled. She blinked and saw a pink face in front of her.

"Pinkie Pie! Where did you come from?" the changeling .

"The door, silly!" Pinkie pointed a pink hoof at the open door. "Twilight and Spike had to go out, and since I was nearby, she asked me to keep an eye on you!" Pinkie then lay down on the floor in front of Ditto and stared unblinkingly at her.

Ditto just decided to ignore her and go back to her search. She had woken up early after only about an hour of sleep, and was now searching the library for the small pink volume she had seen in her dream. She had a feeling that it was important.

"Whatcha lookin' for?" Pinkie asked in a sing-song voice, bouncing up and down beside Ditto.

"A small pink book." Ditto said, scanning the shelf in front of her.

"Oh!" the pink mare said, stopping her bouncing and helping the Changeling search the shelf. "I love pink! It's a great color! But it's not the only thing I love; I also love cupcakes! Cupcakes with pink, sugary frosting! Or Rainbow-colored frosting! Oh, I love colorful cupcakes! What if you could make cupcakes out of rainbows? That would taste so good!"

Ditto had stopped listening to Pinkie Pie at this point and had concentrated on scanning the shelves for pink books. Her purple eyes landed on one, and she surrounded it with green magic and pulled it off the shelf. But as she observed it, she realized it was a darker pink and was much bigger than the one she had seen. In frustration, she tossed it against the wall. It landed in a small pile of books that Ditto had already thrown aside.

"Ez eh theh wah?" Pinkie Pie asked, voice muffled through the book in her mouth. Ditto used her magic to float it away from Pinkie and take a good look at it. It wasn't the right one; It was more hot pink than the light pink of the book. The Changeling tossed it into the pile and continued her search.

"Why do you need this pink book anyway?" Pinkie asked.

"I have a feeling it's important." Ditto responded simply. She placed a hoof full of holes on the shelf and looked at another book. It was still not the right one, so she tossed it aside. "Where is this thing?" she growled.

"Did somepony check it out?" the pink Earth pony asked.

"I guess." The changeling sat back on the floor of the library and sighed. "I've gone through almost every pink book in the library and I haven't found it." Her solid purple eyes scanned the room. As her eyes fell on the door, she longed to go out and get some fresh air. She had been cooped up in the library for so long that she needed some sun.

But she wasn't setting a hoof outside, not after Twilight's scolding. Ditto was surprised it hadn't been worse. Perhaps the purple mare had taken a liking to her.

"Somepony's not SMILING!" Pinkie said in a cheerful singsong call. She skipped over to Ditto and used her hooves to move the changeling's face into a smile. It fell back to a frown as soon as she pulled her hooves away.

"I think I'm just going to go read my book for awhile." Ditto said. She limped away from Pinkie and went to find "Goldhoof the Magical and the Pegasus Race".

----

"The Pegasi have destroyed our main fields!" the Earth ponies exclaimed. They all ran to their torn-up fields and gazed in horror at the huge holes in the dirt from the crashed Pegasi.

"The Pegasi have caved-in our mines!" The Unicorns gasped.

The leaders of the Earth Ponies and the Unicorns stood on a tall rock, glaring at Commander Hurricane, who was flying a few feet above the ground so she was eye-level with them. "This was planned by the Pegasi!" The Unicorn leader, Princess Platinum, stamped a hoof as she stated it.

"It was not!" Commander Hurricane shouted, "It was an accident! How dare you accuse us?"

Nearby, Goldhoof listened in. She had been unconscious after smacking into the rocky side of the mountain- unlucky enough not to get one of the fertile, soft fields- but had woken up to hear the arguing. This was the traitor's doing!

"I refuse to believe such destruction was an accident!" Platinum said, "They obviously want to get rid of the Unicorns because they are jealous of our magic!"

"They're trying to starve us!" the leader of the Earth Ponies, Chancellor Puddinghead, accused. "Are you trying to start a war, Commander?!"

"The Pegasi have done nothing!" Hurricane insisted.

"This is bad." Goldhoof muttered to herself. "I need to find who did this." The golden mare looked around and saw all the injured Pegasi, rubbing their heads with their hooves for arguing with Earth Ponies and Unicorns. Suddenly she heard a laughing.

"Oh, Goldhoof, you're a laugh." Goldhoof flipped around. Nopony knew her real name! She blinked with surprise as she saw the mare who had spoken. "Really, you're surprised?" The black Pegasus said, eye glittering with evil humor, "I would have thought the great Goldhoof would have figured it out by now!"

Ditto dropped the book, as suspenseful this part was, and lay on her bed. She almost instantly drifted off to sleep, the last thing she saw before drifting off was the moon shining through the window.

----

Ditto was running. Rain was slashing at her, as if every drop was a tiny sword. In front of her floated the same pink book, but she was not using her magic to hold it up. Someone else was trying to run away with it, but Ditto had to catch up with them. She had to get the book.

Suddenly, her broken leg gave way beneath her and she fell onto sand. She rolled over and looked up. The rain had stopped, and instead everything was burning hot. The sun glared down, as hot as the desert. As she looked around, she realized it was a desert.

Above loomed a familiar figure, but she couldn't place who it was. all she could see was her silhouette. Who was this blue Unicorn? The stranger used her magic to pick up the pink book and waved it in front of Ditto. "Looking for this?" she taunted.

"I need that!" Ditto reached for the book, but it moved and she grabbed at air. She glared at the stranger. "Who are you?" she demanded.

The blue mare didn't respond. She just giggled, and Ditto felt herself being sucked away from the scene. Away from the desert. Away from the mysterious book.

----

Ditto blinked open her purple eyes and found that it was morning. She stamped a hoof in frustration. "Who was that mare?" she asked nopony in particular. "What was the book?"


Spellchecker and Prof-reader:Glitchhunter5000 (The Reviser/Suggester)