• Published 2nd Dec 2014
  • 2,186 Views, 105 Comments

Stroke of a Digital Brush - Graglithan The Greater



Pony ears on ponies are one thing. So I have to ask, just why are there some on me?

  • ...
5
 105
 2,186

Sketching the Characters

Since we were going to have to explain the situation soon and needed to come up with some form of excuse, that was what we did. For how long I don’t know, but Emi and I spent the time trying to figure out a way for us to explain the fact we were turning into pastel colored ponies to our mother. Which to be honest, was a complete waste of time considering that we had practically no idea just why we were changing to begin with. Yeah, the web page said that all bronies were getting affected, but it didn’t go into much depth besides the symptoms of the “accident”, being turned into an OC created by the subject, that it described and what the accident was overall.

Seriously, there were no major details to get a good picture from! Though when I think about it, that may have been because they themselves were going into a panic for the same reason I wanted to go into a panic and still do. What it did say, was that two guys respectively built a particle accelerator, and a particle decelerator for a science project. This wasn’t a problem until one of their retarded brothers had plugged a laptop into both to charge the battery while he downloaded an MLP episode.

They weren’t sure how, but it was what they believe caused the big flash push of five hours ago.

So there we had it. Me along with my little sister and quite possibly several hundred thousand, if the hit count on the site was anything to go by, other people’s lives were just ruined by some retard that is currently in Chicago setting up a convention to practically tell the world it was his fault.

...

...

Buck this gay earth.

For once, we agree.

I slumped back into my chair with a sigh, running a hand through my hair. “This is so stupid...”

Emi looked up from the sheet of paper she was writing on. “Hey, we’ve almost got a plan set up. If we follow this work of my absolute genius, there is only a 35% chance mom will freak out.” She turned the paper over to me and I saw pie charts, scribbles, and a picture of a squid in a dress. “Now, you go get the Squid, and I’ll get some british flags to make a macarena dress out of.”

I sighed and handed the paper back to her. “Emi... the only reason that plan wouldn’t make mom freak out is because it’s the most ridiculous plan I have ever seen. Where the heck am I going to get a giant squid in the next five minutes?” My blood ran cold as I looked at my clock again.

It read 3:10.

I jumped up from my seat and started to head for the front door. “Crap! Emi, mom’s going to be home any-” I heard the sound of our mom’s van coming into the driveway and my blood ran cold again. “-minute.”

Emi looked at her plan one last time before sighing and crumpling it up. “Looks like we’ll have to wing it.” She glared off to the side as she tossed the crumpled wad of paper into the waste bin. “Would have been cooler with the squid though...”

I skid slightly as I turned to look out the window next to the door. A quick glance outside showed our Mom getting out of the van and picking up a few bags from what would surely be a regularly sized load. And by regular, I mean Monstrous. One that she would be asking for help bringing in due to the sheer amount of groceries she bought.

There are just some days I hate the fact that my mom goes out of her way for every coupon she can get a deal off of.

I got away from the window and started looking around in a panic. “Crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap crap!”

As I panicked next to the front door and pulled up my hood, Emi ran off to her room with a grin on her face. When she came back, she was wearing a comically over-sized pirate hat on her head. “My disguise is flawless.” I just gave her a deadpan stare before facepalming.

The door started to open, so I threw my hoodie back on and acted as casually as possible and keeping the dog from running outside. Our mom came in backwards, holding about five bags of food at once. “Oh, Grent you’re home already? Did your class end early again?”

Oh yeah, that was my default excuse for leaving early when sent home... I forgot about that. I nodded and shrugged while trying to put on a calm smile. “Yeah, a lot of people suddenly didn’t feel all that well.”

Our mom frowned a bit. “Well that’s unfortunate.” She paused and looked up as she tapped her chin. “Now that I think about it...”

Emi tilted her head. “What?”

Mom looked confused as she continued to think. “On the way to the store, a lot of people were driving rather strangely. I saw one poor soul drive off the road and get their car totaled. After that, a lot of drivers were speeding quite frequently.”

“Oh, I-I wonder why...” My smile started to falter into a nervous twitch, and I was certain that she could tell.

Thankfully, she was either being merciful for the moment, or oblivious. “Well either way, there’s not much we can do for them other than hope that they’re fine. Now get your shoes on Emilia and help your brother get the groceries.”

“Aye aye, Captain!” Emi saluted energetically before running off to her room, Cricket hot on her heels and barking the whole way.

I shook my head and started for the door. “I’ll get right on it mom.”

Before I got far, I was stopped when she put her hand on my chest. “Grent.”

“Uh... y-yeah?”

“Why is your hood up?” I was trembling in place as she continued. “You don’t normally wear it inside to begin with.”

You are so boned dude. So totally boned. Moms are psychic, and we both know this. Doesn’t help that you’re practically an open book.

SHUT UP BRAIN!

Point still stands~!

I smiled at her as best I could and moved around the arm to get to the door. “It’s nothing mom, I uh, I figured since you would be home soon I’d just go ahead and put it on so I could help with the groceries faster.”

She gave me a look that only a mother could. The “I’ve caught you trying to feed me a load of bull crap and am far from happy” look. “Grent Isomeric, you stop lying to my face this instant and tell me why you’re wearing that hoody inside. The truth this time.”

I winced and looked down at my feet shamefully. I never was a good liar... and I hated doing it. But just how in Celestia’s mane was I going to explain this?

More importantly, why didn’t you say “In God’s Name?”

Please don’t remind me of that at the moment brain.

I jumped slightly when I felt my mom put a hand on my shoulder. “Grent... look at me.” I hesitantly looked up and saw my mother looking at me in worry. “What’s going on Grent? This isn’t like you to act like this.”

With a shaky breath, I glanced away for a moment before looking my mother in the eyes. “Promise... promise me you won’t freak out too much.” She gave me a warm smile and a nod, but it did little to reassure me. “We... probably should go sit in the living room. For what I’m about to show you... that is.”

“Alright Grent.” My mother and I walked into the living room, me taking the couch and my mom taking the loveseat. I saw Emi run in soon after and she noticed us both in the living room.

“Hey, what about the groceries?” I patted the seat next to me and she came over and sat down. I didn’t need to explain what was going on it seemed. Emi was pretty clever when she wanted to be.

My mom looked at the both of us and she raised an eyebrow. “Both of you? Don’t tell me you dyed your hair or something and are afraid of telling me.”

I rubbed the back of my head for a moment. “Well... I actually wish it was the hair dye thing. This is a little... more extreme.” I took a deep breath and pulled off my hood, showing off the two perky pony ears sticking out of my hair. A glance over to my side told me that Emi had taken off her pirate hat, and was showing off her horn. “Um.... tada?”

Our mom blinked a few times before sighing. “Emi, what have I told you about gluing stuff to yourself and your brother?”

Emi smiled and giggled. “To not to. But I didn’t do this. At least not this time.”

My mom looked at me with a disbelieving look, that slowly grew to shock as I sighed and put my head in my hands. “I... I wish so much that she was lying right now.”

Our mom’s gaze started to shift between both Emi and I before it focused on me again. “Grent, stop going along with Emi’s pr-”

“Mom. This happened in the middle of my classes!” I snapped, tears starting to run down my face. “It is impossible for this to be Emi’s fault. I can feel from the stupid things, and I don’t know what the hell is going on anymore!”

Mom looked at me in disbelief and shock for a moment, before a look of horror started to cross over her features and tears streamed down her face. “Oh sweet lord...”

Closing my eyes, I took a deep and shaky breath before I could continue. “According to what I found online... It’s happening globally. The whole world has people growing....animal parts. Ears, Eyes, Tails! I... I just...”

I jumped when I felt arms wrap around me and found myself staring at my mom’s shirt as she hugged me tight. I hugged her back and choked back a sob. “I just don’t know what to do.... It... It terrifies me.”

My mom’s own breathing was unsteady as she started to run a hand through my hair, practically petting me. While I didn’t like the analogy, It still felt relaxing. “Don’t worry Grent. It’ll be alright...”

I know she was saying it more to herself, but it was nice... just hearing those words. At least just once.

Emi joined in on the hug from behind me. “Mom’s right! Besides, I’m turning into a unicorn. I’m going to be adorable!” I scoffed a bit, but couldn’t stop the small laugh from escaping my throat. Emi released me from the hug shortly after, but then asked something odd. “What’s with your back? It’s all bulgy and soft.”

“What?” I got out of the hug and all of us started looking at my back, or in my case trying. I don’t exactly have eyes in the back of my head. I reached behind me and felt what I could, finding that whatever was under my shirt was a part of me, but it felt.... downy soft. My eyes widened a bit and I looked over at my mom. “Uh.... please don’t faint?”

“Grent, you just showed me you have... pony ears. Why would I-” I pulled off my shirt, and two golden wings spread out from my back. They weren’t very large, but then again a MLP pegasus’s wings would have been proportionally too small for flight to begin with. That didn’t mean that they weren’t at least an impressive size for a person. My mom stared at me as a few loose feathers fluttered down to the floor. “-faint....”

Congratulations, AnthroGrent leveled up! AnthroGrent learned Fly!

SCREW YOU BRAIN I DID NOT!

Emi jumped off of the couch a moment later and started to poke at them, sending a shiver up my spine akin to... well something inappropriate. “Ooooooh, cool!” As I swatted her hand away, I noticed that she now had a leaf green tail with a few lighter green highlights. “What was that for!?” I pointed at her tail and she took a glance back and gasped. “Oooo~!”

While I was trying to get my new wings to fold down, my mom picked up one of the gold feathers from the ground and looked it over as it glimmered in the light. “This.... this is really happening.”

I looked over my shoulder at the wings and sighed. “Y-yeah.... yeah it is.”

My mom shook her head and looked back at me. “Sweetie, did you find anything else about this?”

Emi answered for me. “There are a couple of guys who are claiming that it’s all their brother’s fault up in Chicago.”

I zoned out a bit as Mom and Emi started to talk about the convention. I looked back at my wings, wondering why I hadn't noticed them until Emi pointed them out. I mean, these things were two and a half feet long each! They should have sent some form of feeling up into my brain with how my shirt was pressing them into my back. This was the second change to happen to me and Emi, so it only went with what we knew so far that second changes were happening to anyone else involved....

...anyone else...

Oh sweet jiminy cricket, Crystina!

My eyes widened and I pulled out my phone from my pocket and started unlocking it. “Please...” When I saw no messages I silently cursed to myself.

“Grent, what is it?” My mom put a hand on my shoulder.

I jumped some from the contact, but that was the extent of my surprise. I looked over at her and showed her my phone. “It’s just that I asked one of my classmates to text me their number after I gave them mine. They’re also in the same boat me and Emi are. The last I saw them they had a neon blue tail.”

My mom put a hand to her mouth in worry. “Oh dear... do you know where they live?”

I shook my head. “Unfortunately no. I just wish I had a way to make sure she was doing alright.” Emi leaned her head in closer to mine after she ran off and got a stool, the devious grin on her face slightly unnerving. “What is it Emi?”

“So who exactly is this, ‘She’, that you are worried about?” I blushed a bit and Emi took it as a cue to go on. “It is your girlfriend?

My blush grew and I felt my wings extend slightly. “S-She’s not my girlfriend! Crystina is just a fellow classmate!”

“Emi, quit harassing your brother. This is a serious problem.” Mom stopped the bickering before it could go on for too long. She looked over at me still looking somewhat troubled. “Now Grent. Emi explained about the convention in Chicago. It’s rather far... but I want you to take your sister with you and go up there.”

“What?!” I jumped a bit in surprise and my wings flared. “B-but what about you? Aren’t you coming with us?”

I got smacked upside the head a moment later. “Grent Isomeric, I am fifty five years old. I can take care of myself. Your sister? With what is happening to the both of you, she needs someone to look out for her, and you’re a legal adult.” She smiled softly and gave me another brief hug. “Now be safe, and take care of your sister.” Letting me out of the hug, she reached into her purse and pulled out her keys. “I’ll let you use my van and the GPS, incase you find a friend or two that need help as well and so you don’t get lost. I’ll just settle on driving that rustbucket you call a truck.”

I took the keys and frowned. “Alright.” She didn’t need to call my truck a rust bucket. Sure she’s got dents in her everywhere from the previous owner, but she’s not rusty.

“Good,” Mom smiled at me before pointing at the door, “now go get the groceries.”


Down the streets and throughout the buildings of Ponyville, it was an average day for it’s citizens. Even after the feeling of the odd magic, Twilight was having a good day. There was still one pony though, that having an “average” or “normal” day would seem impossible.

Pinkie bounced gleefully down the street, looking over the crowd every time she bounced to look for her friends. When she spotted Twilight, she hopped over and landed next to the lavender mare as she was purchasing some more parchment sheets. “Hi Twilight! Guess what!”

Twilight looked over and smiled at her friend with a small laugh. “Hello Pinkie! What is it?”

Pinkie stopped bouncing and gave Twilight a large grin. “I had a doozy earlier today! And it’s the biggest, enormous, most stupendous doozy I’ve had yet!”

The entire street stopped and looked over, before ever pony could be seen bolting to the safety of their homes and locking their doors.

Pinkie just looked around for a moment before she focused on Twilight. “Was it something I said?”

And it was in that moment, that the glorious union of hoof and head caused a massive clap to echo over the town and into the distance. Some say that even the princesses in Canterlot could hear the sound from their castle.


Before we started with the groceries, Mom had taken my shirt and cut holes in the back large enough for my wings. It still felt extremely weird, but I guess I had no choice but to get used to it for the time being.

As I lifted the final bag of groceries, Emi bounced around the front yard with Cricket. The little corgi kept trying to bite at her tail, and she kept spinning it away. I shook my head and kept bringing in the bags I had in hand. “Alright mom... this is the last of it.”

Mom was standing in the front doorway, and smiled at me sadly. “Not quite.” She took the bags I had and placed them on the floor before handing me two backpacks that were filled to the brim. “I packed you some clothes and food, the essentials as well.”

I looked at the bag for a moment before chuckling. “I think I might have trouble wearing this.”

Mom reached over and pulled an extending handle from the other backpack. “That’s why I packed your stuff in this one.”

My smile saddened some as I took the bag. “Thanks mom. I’ll do my best.” My phone started to go off as I started to give my mom one last hug. “Huh?” I pulled out my phone and looked at the screen, showing that I just got a text.

As I opened the message, my Mom looked over my shoulder. “What is it dear?”

I squinted and started to read. “Its... from Damien?” Turning my phone sideways, the message enlarged some. “Hey, come over really fast. I’ve got something I need some help with. I’ll explain more when you get here, but I really need a ride to Chicago.....” I paused for a moment, remembering that I thought I saw something off with Damien’s eyes. “Chicago.” I turned to Emi and pointed at the van. “Emi, go ahead and get in. I’ve got our first stop.”

Mom put a hand on my shoulder, giving me a sad smile. “Go help your friend. I know you’ll be alright.”

I returned the smile and gave her one last hug. “I’ll try.” With nothing else left to be said, Emi and I both threw our stuff into the back, and I punched Damien’s address into the GPS before heading off.

I don’t know why, but it felt like that was the last time I’d ever see my Mom again.