• Published 2nd Dec 2014
  • 2,179 Views, 105 Comments

Stroke of a Digital Brush - Graglithan The Greater



Pony ears on ponies are one thing. So I have to ask, just why are there some on me?

  • ...
5
 105
 2,179

Starting Some Line Art

For the next couple hours, I drove and we all tried our best to ignore what was disturbing us the most. For me and at least one other in the vehicle, that was my face. Seriously, human eyes on a pony are beyond the describing capabilities of the word, disturbing. They’re drawn big for a dang reason people!

Another thing that bothered me was what had happened to Emi specifically. We weren’t really paying attention at first, but she had gotten a pair of tomato red pony ears, and there was fur going down her neck and to the base of her tail. That was two changes on her, while the rest of us got only one. Sure she was loving being even more “adorable”, but it only ate away at my nerves and stability more. She was changing faster than we were, which was shortening my time table on finding a way to fix this.

I had to find a solution, and fast. I promised mom I would take care of Emi, and I planned on holding onto that promise.

Come on, you need to face facts here. You’re gambling right now.

Stuff it up Luna’s plot right now brain.

No seriously, you really are. If this guy who’s hosting this convention is as lost as we are, then the chances of finding any solution to this are gone. And it will be only a matter of time that you and everyone with us turn into fantasy creatures. Starting with our sis-

I SAID SHUT UP! I will find a way to fix this, and I will get everyone back to normal!

As we pulled up to the convention center that was listed on the website, I glanced around from the safety of my hood, doing my best to ignore my own mind and hide my face. “Don’t see anyone.” I parked the van and looked back at the others. “Think this is the right one?”

Crystina looked out of her own window and pursed her lips. “Maybe... they’re still getting everything ready?”

Damien nodded in agreement, his tail flicking every now and again. “That could be it, considering this all just started yesterday morning.” He started tapping the GPS while idly staring out the window. “So Grent, how much cash we got?”

I scratched the back of my head, a bucking weird feeling now that my head was almost 100% Pony, and pulled out my phone. “Let’s see...” A quick flick through the app that my bank had provided brought up my balance. “We’ve got about... just under eight thousand at the moment. Should be enough to get us some hotel rooms for a few nights and some food.” I picked up the GPS and searched for some hotels that were nearby.

Good thing we didn’t spend any of those paychecks, huh?

No kidding.

Emi leaned over the seat, grinning like a cheshire cat as she pumped her fist. “Sounds like a plan!” She started poking at my head as I continued to search for hotels. “Quick brother of mine! We need to show the world how adorable I am!”

I swatted her prodding fingers away as I searched for the first hotel I could find that was cheap, but still decent enough for human/hybrid/whatever we are, habitation. “Alright Alright, hold your horses.” Crystina snorted a bit and I rolled my eyes. “Oh hush you.” Looked back over to Emi and narrowed my eyes a bit. “And we’re not doing this to show off your adorableness, were just getting a hotel room to spend a few nights in.”

Damien nudged my shoulder as Emi jumped back to her seat with a giggle. “Lighten up man, she’s just trying to cheer everyone up.”

I sighed and pressed a hand against my face. “I know... I know, but right now it’s not doing it for me.” Starting the engine back up, I started to leave the parking lot. “Let’s just find someplace that’s got a free room or two.”


The clerk looked at her books and winced slightly before giving us an apologetic smile. “Sorry sir, but we’re completely booked.”

Damien slumped a bit and sighed before turning to Emi. “Welp, back to the van it is.”

Emi jumped a bit and posed as she pointed to the door. “TO THE NEXT ONE! AWAY!” She then started to run as fast as she could back outside, Damien barely keeping up.

“H-hey! Wait up!”


Crystina and I walked up to the counter and she smiled at the receptionist. “Excuse me, but are there any available rooms?”

The receptionist typed at his keyboard for a moment before he shook his head and turned away from his computer. “We’re sorry, but we don't have any available rooms at the moment.”

Crystina scratched her cheek a little before shrugging. “Maybe the next one will be better?” She glanced over at a guy walking further into the hotel and raised an eyebrow. “Does he have... aquamarine hair?”

I glanced over myself and spotted the man in question. “Yes... yes he does. Aquamarine 155-5 to be precise.” We both paused and I blinked a bit before shaking my head. “Let’s just get back to the van before I start sounding like Emi.”


The latino woman at the counter leaned back and was filing her nails idly as I approached. Without even glancing at us she just shook her head. “Nada.”

I blinked in confusion. “Uh... what?”

“We got nada rooms. Go across the street.” When I looked across the street, I slumped a bit and sighed. There wasn’t a hotel there at all, just a tanning salon. ”Thank you come again.”

Emi looked up at me with a grin so sugary I thought I might actually get diabetes from it. “Can we?”

“No. Van now. Tan later.” Note to self, Emi’s getting more hyper. Must keep her away from sugar at all costs for safety of country and possibly planet.


After looking around at almost every hotel in the city, which took us till 3:14 PM, the others and I were all sitting around in the van. Me in the drivers seat, Damien in the back with Emi, and Crystina taking passenger. To say we were all silent, would be like saying the moon was big. It was absolutely silent, yes including Emi, and we were no closer to getting a place to stay than when we started. “So...”

Damien nodded his head. “Yep.” The silence returned with vigor. I could barely stand it as we all sat there in the van, not moving, not talking, getting out run by snails!

Dude, what’s with you?

Silence! I just really need to do something involving moving right now. ANYTHING.

So the sudden desire to go as fast as humanly possible is normal? Yeah, I’ll believe that later. As the somehow still reasonable half of your mind, I’m just gonna say-

Silence I said!

Oh how the mind changes....

Crystina was fiddling with the GPS the whole time I fought with my brain. It seemed that over the course of this trip, the line between me and my usual thoughts was getting broader and excessively blurred with every one of my changes. I wasn’t sure how much more I could take before I truly did go insane.

Crystina tapped the GPS one last time before her eyes lit up at what she found. “Guys! There’s still one left!”

My arms were practically a blur as I snatched the GPS and slammed it onto the dash. Not wasting a moment, I gunned the engine, tires screeching as they tried to find purchase on the asphalt, and bolted down the road. “BUCKLE UP!”

The others were shouting in surprise as I swerved slightly on exiting the lot and getting on the road, nearly clipping a car that had only been missed due to the other driver moving to the left lane. I didn’t really notice him until he laid on his horn.

Now, I will not bother to describe my driving for the next thirty minutes any farther than “Need for Speed”, as doing so would probably get me arrested for breaking several laws I am not aware of and add on “Hot Persuit” to the description given. That doesn’t mean however, that I didn’t get us all to the hotel in one piece. In fact, the van was looking pristine, even if I may or may not have pulled a Vin Diesel as I drifted into the parking space of the hotel we were going to.

I was brilliant, and had absolutely no idea how I did any of it, but at that moment, all I could feel was an adrenaline rush.

The moment the side door of the van opened, Emi made her opinion of my driving quite clear by jumping out and kissing the ground. “LAND!”

Damien shakily put a claw over my shoulder and looked at me. “Okay... from now on. I drive.” Crystina would have probably said something, but she was looking near catatonic from fear and was gripping onto the seat for dear life. I winced a bit at the sight, even as Damien continued. “Seriously, was there any reason for that?”

I rubbed the back of my head and smiled awkwardly. “Um.... a sudden need for speed?” His deadpan glare was the only response I got and I could feel sweat rolling down my face. “Seriously! I’m not sure why but I just really needed to go fast right then. Sitting in here’s driving me nuts.”

You talk to yourself mentally on a regular basis, including the time before these changes even started. We’ve been nuts for quite a while now and you’re only just realizing it.

STFU BRAIN!

Point proven.

I snapped back to reality again when Damien just shook his head and started to shakily climb out of the van. “Whatever man... let’s just get inside.”


The next morning, Twilight woke up to a peaceful quiet that spread through the whole town. With a yawn, she descended the stairs into the library’s main room, briefly passing the portrait that had appeared the previous day. She walked into her kitchen, eyes drooping with their desire for sleep, and headed straight for the coffee pot.

A quick cup of coffee and a few slices of toast later, she walked back into the main room, holding her coffee in her magic. She glanced at the painting as she took a sip-

“PFFFFFFFF!”

-and proceeded to dramatically send it back out in a supremely spectacular spit take that was only stopped by her own hoof. Forcing the rest of the drink down her throat, she stared at the picture in shock. “What the?”

Where there had once been two, there were now four creatures in the painting. Along with the original two, there was another one with longer hair sitting on the opposite side of the tree, it’s face obscured partially by the long flowing locks. The fourth one was laying on one of the branches, a leg dangling down as it slept. It looked a lot like the one with the golden mane, but had a more reddish tint to it’s mane.

That’s not what surprised her the most though.

On the original two, the one with golden hair now had pony ears sticking out if it’s head, and the changes were actively bleeding down right before her eyes, it’s hair turning green and silver. The smaller one wasn’t much better, as it had a red unicorn horn coming from between it’s bangs and it’s mane was turning green as well.

Twilight stumbled a bit before rushing to her front door, wanting nothing more than to get to her friends as fast as possible to see if they found anything, and if not, informing them of what happened.

Minutes after she had left, in the quiet of the library, Spike came down the stairs with a yawn and glanced around. “Twilight?” He looked around for a bit, and when he glanced at the picture he jumped a bit at the sight of the first one’s head. “Whoa! Dude, that’s creepy.”


Stepping into the hotel was a spectacle compared to the others. While the other hotels were for people like me, your average everyday lounge-about artist that’s starving, this one was only describable by one word.

“Fancy.” Thank you Emi.

And ‘Fancy’ was right on the money. The lobby was freaking huge, there was a marble sculpture of a mermaid in the middle of it all, and everyone here looked like they were loaded to the brim and then some. It made the few people who were like us stick out like sore thumbs stuck in a door. Looking over at the others, I grimaced a bit. “Okay, I’ll see if I can get us a room. You guys mill about and try to stay out of trouble.” I glanced over at my sister for a brief moment, noticing her sneaking over to some guy with an obvious toupee on his head. “That means you Emi.”

She stopped mid reach for the hairpiece and frowned in disappointment. “Awww.”

Shaking my head I looked over at Crystina. “Could you please keep Emi out of trouble while Damien and I go and see if there are any rooms? I don’t trust her to behave on her own.”

Crystina gave us a small nod in response before heading after Emi towards the fountain. With how short she was now, she could be mistaken for a kid. Even if Emi was the childish one.

Damien and I walked up to the receptionist and I paused for a moment to clear my throat, drawing her attention away from the computer she was working at for a moment. When the portly woman saw me and Damien she reeled back slightly and covered it with a rather fake smile. “Y-yes, what can I do for you...” She looked at Damien’s claws in disgust before giving that fake smile again. “...lovely people.”

Damien frowned a bit, but spoke as smoothly as he could. “Yes, we would like to request lodging for four. We expect to be here no longer than a three days at most. Are there any rooms available at the present time?”

I’m sure my face was the same as the receptionist’s as I glanced over at Damien in surprise and blinked dumbly. The only thoughts going through my head right then, even my mental self’s, was “Where the heck did he pull all that suave from and where can I get some?” Maybe it’d help with asking Crystina out- NO! Bad me. Fix pony problem, then ask the girl out through super suave and tactical means.

“Er... well I’m sorry, but there’s only one room available, and it’s rather small.”

I looked over at her and frowned as my mind tried to estimate how much a room in a hotel like this would cost. “How much would it be?”

Judging from the look on her face, she was hoping that was going to deter us. Instead she looked over her computer again and then back at us, taking her precious time to do so on purpose. “It will be 214 dollars a night.”

I thought it over for a moment before nodding with a smile. “We’ll take it.”

Emi suddenly jumped up from behind me with her bag and grinned before staring at me, speaking in an emotionless tone. “Do we have appropriate accommodations Brotagonist?”

I sighed as I tried not to facepalm. I wasn’t sure how she lasted this long without making one of those puns, but it was a common thing for her. Tartarus, once she even called me “Brotographer” when I had to take a family photo. “Yes Emi, we have a room, but we’ll have to share the space.” I smiled at the receptionist, just to show some polite behavior.

Her clearly disgusted smile was all the return she gave non-verbally. “You will be charged at the end of your stay, have a good day sir.”

“We will, thank you.”

Nothing really exciting happened immediately after that. I walked over to where Crystina was and let her know that I had gotten the rooms, Emi and Damien picked up our key cards, and we all went and grabbed our stuff before heading for the elevators. I could have sworn I saw Emi’s bag move, without her touching it mind you, but it was probably just my imagination. The room itself was also completely unremarkable. It may have been fancy looking, but it was still two beds and a sofa, plus some fancy furniture. So either someone had to share a bed with someone else, or somebody was sleeping on the floor.

“So...” I looked at everyone else with the best poker face I could. “Who’s sleeping wh-”

“I CALL THE BED!” Emi shot past me and nearly knocked me over before jumping over to the bed.

“Dang it Emi!” I shouted after her wild charge nearly knocked me over, “calm down! You’re gonna give me a heart-” It was around then, that I froze in shock. Emi’s bag just floated to the ground shortly afterwards and rested next to the footboard. “-attack.” I and everyone else stared in surprise at the reality breaking that had just occurred. Damien’s jaw was hanging off of his head, Crystina looked like she was about to faint, and I... well....

Okay, give me a second to reboot your brain.

Grent.exe has stopped working. Critical error in the reality drive caused by “Emilia” trojan virus. Force Reboot? Y/N

Emi however, sat up and frowned. She started looking at one of us for a moment before moving to the next person, and eventually sighed and pointed to her horn, which was glowing a light yellow. “Unicorn, remember?”

Mental functions have been restored. Logic drive active.

DONE! I’m done! Never going into programing ever! Adios!

Damien and I both facepalmed. I slowly dragged my hand down my face as Crystina and Damien walked over to the couch and started setting down their stuff. “Emi, just.... not right now please? We have enough on our-”

*Bark!*

I’ll be right back...... the R: drive failed again.

Everyone in the room froze and slowly turned to look at Emi’s bag, which had just barked and shook slightly. Emi had a grin on her face which bordered between nervous and terrified. “Um.... Bark bark?”

The bag barked a second time before the zipper started to give and pull open from something inside pushing against it. The first analogy that popped into my head from what I was seeing was the chest bursters from the Alien franchise. I wasn’t the only one apparently that made that connection, cause I’m not entirely sure when, but I think Crystina had rushed behind me to use me as a meat shield.

That, or she was behind me all along. Hard to tell.

Much to our relief and stress however, it wasn’t an alien that popped out. No, while less deadly than a xenomorph, it was just as problematic considering we were in a hotel and had not told anyone that a pet was involved. I was very unamused. “Emi.”

Her smile was now bordering hysterical panic. “Um.... Yes, Broski?”

“Is there a reason Cricket is in your backpack?” The corgi barked in response. “Hush, I wasn’t asking you.”

Emi snatched up the corgi and started to pout while cuddling him and whaling all the while. “I just couldn’t bring myself leave him! He’s too adorable! He used his mind powers and made me take him!” Cricket just squirmed for a moment and started to lick her chin as she restarted her pouting ten fold. Damien apparently thought it was funny, and was cackling, while Crystina was looking confused as all tartarus.

This was going to be a long trip.

I sighed and pinched the bridge of my muzzle before raising a hand. “Alright, fine. It’s not like we can just up and leave to take him back anyways.” Emi smiled and started hugging Cricket a little tighter, and he responded by licking her face. “Just please calm down and promise me you’ll keep him out of trouble?”

“Aye Aye, Captain Brotacular!”

I could feel my head throb from the impending headache Emi was causing. I also felt a slight itch on the back of my neck though, and it was making me worry slightly. My attention was drawn elsewhere when Crystina tapped my shoulder. “Um.... is this normal?”

“Define ‘Normal’.” Damien chuckled as he sat down on the couch. “The Isomeric family is the biggest bunch of weirdos I’ve ever had the pleasure of meeting.”

I jabbed a finger over at Damien. “You, quiet.” He just chuckled and leaned back on the couch before I turned my attention back to Crystina. “And as for her? Yes, this is normal. She has been like this pretty much her entire life and it drives me crazy.”

“You love me and you know it.” She hopped off of the bed and started to head past me for the door. “So, who wants to hit the buffe-AH!” Emi fell over suddenly and landed on her face. “Owwwww.....”

“Emi, are y-” I spun slightly to see if she was alright when I felt something creep up my spine and send goosebumps across my body. “-yaaaaaah that felt weird.” Crystina soon fell over as well when she tried to turn around and help herself, landing on the bed with a flop. I looked over to Damien, seeing his face looking down and scrunched in confusion while he lightly scratched at his chest.

.I shook my head and rushed over to where Emi was picking herself up off the ground. “Emi!?” I stared in shock while my still disoriented sister groaned. This was bad... very bad.

Emi shook her head a bit before looking up at me. “What just happened?” She jumped when she looked up at me. “Grent! You’re a furry!” I glanced at my hand and nearly jumped when I saw it coated in gold fur, but shook my head and looked back at my sister.

“Never mind that Emi, look at your legs!” She looked down at her formerly human legs and squeaked when she saw that they were now a pair of tomato red equine legs. Strangely though, my own mind picked up the detail that there was a hint of pink in the tone of her fur more than the shock that she even had fur. I got up and looked over at Crystina, who was hyperventilating at the sight of her own legs, both of which had changed just like Emi’s but now looked like they were covered in fine crystal rather than fur. Picking up Emi off the floor, I moved over to Crystina and set my sister down on the bed next to her. “Crystina, try to calm down. Deep breaths.”

Emi scooted closer and hugged Crystina, which was quickly returned by the terrified mare. “Don’t worry bro. I got this.” I gave her a thankful nod before looking back to Damien.

Damien had pulled open the front of his shirt before blinking a few times as he stared down. A glance up at me was all he spared before looking back down into his shirt. “I have pomf.”

“What?”

“I have pomf.” He said simply before pulling a short, grey feather out from his shirt.

I gulped a bit before taking a few deep breaths. A glance down at my hands and up my arms made me tremble slightly, but I tried to keep it together. “Alright.... I think it would be best to call it a day for now.” I looked over at Emi and Crystina, both of which were still hugging each other. “Emi, you mind sharing the bed with Crystina?”

She smiled brightly and shook her head. “Nope!” Her hug tightened as she grinned devilishly. “Cuddle bug mode, activate!”

I normally would have been irritated, but it was good to see that at least one of us wasn’t freaking out. I jumped slightly when I heard something flop over behind me before Damien spoke up. “I’ll take the couch.”

I nodded and gave him a tired smile. “Thanks. Sleep tight everyone.” I almost started for the bed, before a thought came unbidden and I stopped to ponder. I had been naming off art details and more importantly noticing subtle differences way to much recently. I normally didn’t have that level of attentiveness, even when drawing.

I looked at my arm again before heading to the restroom that was included with the room. Stopping in front of the mirror, I pulled off my pants and turned my hips to see if this feeling was true.

In short, it was, because I had a cutie mark emblazoned on each thigh. A forest green paint brush with a spayed tip and a small brown circle on the side, leaving a cloud of rainbow pixels in the three primary colors. As I looked at it, I kinda noticed how the spayed tip reminded me of an arrow head, like the hands of a clock had on most traditional models. It was weird, but at the same time, an art related cutie mark explained the sudden increase in my artistic mind.

Frowning, I shook my head and sighed, before putting my clothes back on and heading back to the bed. I glanced at Crystina and Emi for a moment, smiling when I saw both of them passed out, but still cuddling. My frown returned though when I saw Emi’s legs again.

It reminded me of what mom had said before we had left.

...she needs someone to look out for her...

I just hope I can be that someone.

Author's Note:

Sorry for the delay. Got in a bit of a funk.