• Published 2nd Dec 2014
  • 2,186 Views, 105 Comments

Stroke of a Digital Brush - Graglithan The Greater



Pony ears on ponies are one thing. So I have to ask, just why are there some on me?

  • ...
5
 105
 2,186

Painting the Colors

I was at that tree again. Looking down to my left still had Emi sleeping on my thigh, but she wasn’t human anymore. The cute tomato red filly with a green mane and tail was in her place. The filly’s steady breathing was both calming and fear inducing at the same time.

Necessity declared that I turn my gaze away, lest I let my mind destroy itself further. I looked over to where I remember seeing Crystina the last time, and she was just as I remember seeing her before I went to sleep. The pale blue crystals coating her legs shimmered for a moment before dulling considerably.

Above me, I saw Damien in the tree. Also different from how I remember, large and slightly intimidating wings spread from his back as he laid on the branch. I couldn’t make out his face, but seeing the wings was enough to make my stomach churn in worry.

A deep sigh escaped me before I looked out at the fields that surrounded the tree. They were just as I remembered; open and devoid of anything but grass. I continued to do nothing but look out at the grassy expanse when something caught my eye. Looking upwards to the sky, I gasped in shock.

Each cloud in the sky was not white. Instead, they showed pictures floating through the air. One showed me the morning I first started changing; ears sticking out of my head as I slept at my computer. Another showed me getting an Optimus Prime action figure for my 7th birthday. A glance to my right, and I saw another cloud floating showing Damien, Emi, Crystina and I all at the convention center.

But just past it, I saw one that filled me with dread. In the skybound painting, I could see a grief stricken visage of me staring in horror at a darkened spot on the ground. Only one thing ran through my mind as I began to wake again, running a hand through Emi’s mane.

Where was everyone else in that image?


I woke up with a start and sat up in the bed, breathing heavily and drenched in fur matting amounts of sweat. A quick look around showed that it was still night, and according to the clock it was about five in the morning. A long depressed sigh escaped my lips as I flopped back down onto the bed and looked up at the ceiling. Ever since these changes started, I’d been having dream after dream of that stupid field and tree.

I hated it when I dreamed of anything. I only had dreams around major events, and now they wouldn’t stop. Just how major of an event is this going to be that my own subconscious decided that three copies of the same dream straight were necessary? The constant shifting in the details also were making me worry. One thing dreams and art shared was symbolism, and that could mean practically anything.

Like the clouds in my dream showing pictures. I remember that in that Homestuck webcomic, that when they were dreaming, they could see random moments in time though the clouds. There also is the rapid changes to Emi in the dream, along with everyone else. Emi wasn’t even slightly human anymore, but the rest of us were only partially changed.

So what did all of that mean?

“Hey.” I jumped slightly and whirled my head around to see Crystina looking over at me from the other bed. Emi was still curled up and lightly snoring into her chest, so Crystina had to whisper to not wake her. “Can’t sleep?”

I slumped a bit and sighed. “Yeah... got a lot on my mind.”

She let out a bitter laugh before looking down at her legs. “You’re not the only one.”

Looking at Emi again, I felt a small bit of relief well up in my chest at the fact that from what I could see, she was still at the same point in her changes. “Yeah.” The silence dragged on for a bit after that. Neither of us wanted to break the tranquility of the moment it seemed, nor did we wish to wake the others. I had decided that laying back down and looking up at the ceiling was the best course of action right then, even if it caused my wings to flair out.

Eventually though, Crystina was the one to speak first. “Hey Grent, can I ask you something?”

I glanced over curiously and nodded. “Sure, shoot.”

She looked at Emi for a moment before scratching the back of her head. “Well.... When I was talking with Emilia down in the hotel’s lounge she mentioned your older sisters, And well....” she twiddled her fingers a bit before smiling awkwardly. “Could you tell me about the rest of your family?”

I blinked a few times dumbly before scratching the back of my head. “Well uh, sure I guess. Though I have to be honest, I wasn’t expecting that.” She giggled a bit to herself as I looked up in thought. “Well... there’s my eldest sister Sabrina, my second oldest sister Alice, and then there’s Heather.”

Crystina just rolled her eyes before shaking her head. The smile she had was small, but I still noticed it. Hard not to when for the moment it was there the fur she now had shimmered just slightly. “I know their names, Emi told me earlier. I was wondering if you’d tell me a little more. After what Damien said... well you get the picture.”

I rubbed the back of my head and grinned. “Yeah, what Damien said earlier is pretty much right on the money, but barely skims the surface.” I sat up on the bed again and started tapping my chin. “So.... where to begin?”

“How about you begin with heading to the lobby to continue this chat.” Both Crystina and I jumped when Damien spoke up. The recently awakened beast that was a tired Damien was glaring at us from the sofa, slight bags under his eyes emphasizing just how tired he truly was. “Emi may be able to sleep through a twister, but I'm tired, and so are the rooms next to us.”

The two of us blushed as we got up and headed for the door. Without Crystina on the bed, Emi pouted in her sleep until Cricket hopped on the bed and laid down next to her. Once we were both out the door, I shut it behind us with a click and turned to face her. “Well.... Shall we?”

“Um... yes please.”


Twilight hovered over the painting, squinting at each detail she saw and writing down notes on every drip of paint. After she had gone and gathered her friends, she’d explained to them what had happened earlier in the morning. As she had done so, the lavender mare had taken the painting down into her basement and secured it to a large examination table. She currently had a large magnifying glass hanging in front of her, along with a few others to further magnify the image, to accurately take notes over the painting.

Her friends were off to the side, each looking over at the lavender mare worriedly, but in their own way.

Applejack was the first to speak up, if only because the others had pushed her closer to the dangerously focused librarian. “Er... Twilight? Are ya sure this is all necessary?”

“Yes Applejack.” The librarian leaned back and pulled the painting up off the table in her magic. “There is something wrong with this painting and I plan on finding out what.”

Rarity walked a bit closer and stood next to Twilight. “Applejack is right dear. This is a bit excessive for an enchanted painting.”

A frustrated growl escaped Twilight’s lips as she glared at the painting. “That’s just it! It isn’t just enchanted! I’ve scanned this painting five times and I keep getting a mixed up scrying spell!” The painting was slammed down onto the examination table as the librarian started waving her hooves in the air. “Scrying spells don’t change paintings!”

Pinkie bounced up from behind the others waving a hoof in the air. “Ooh, Ooh! Pick me! Pick me!”

Twilight and Rarity shared a glance before the librarian looked over at the bouncing pink pony. “Yes, Pinkie?”

The party pony bounced over to the painting and looked down at it. “What if it’s like one of those enchanted mirrors in the Harry Trotter books!”

The lavender pony sighed and put a hoof to her head. “Pinkie, the Harry Trotter books don’t have any workable spells in them. All of them are entirely made up a-” Twilight froze as a thought crossed her mind. Taking a moment to ponder it and tap her chin, she trotted back over to the painting. “Actually, that gives me an idea.”

Rainbow flew over and landed next to her. “Like what?”

“It'd be impossible for the enchantment to be the same as the one in the Harry Trotter books,” Twilight unstrapped the painting and picked it up in her magic; heading for the stairs. “but that doesn’t mean it’s not enchanted to be a sort of viewing pool, which would explain the strange scrying spell.”

The group all headed back up to the main room where Twilight set the painting down on the stand it had been on the night before. “I’ll have to examine it more to be certain though, so for now let’s go and see if anypony found anything like it. If I had something to compare with the painting, it would be very helpful.”

Rainbow jumped back into the air and gave the librarian a determined smirk. “Then what are we waiting for? Let’s go!” Twilight and the others nodded in agreement and all six mares charged out of the library and into town.


Before we left the room, the both of us had taken a look at our hoodies and then back at ourselves before shrugging and getting rid of them. My wings flared out in relief the moment they were free, and I immediately started to feel a bit better. A glance over at Crystina made me blush for a moment as I saw her white tanktop and a bit of shining crystal cleavage.

“I just caught a glance.” Don’t worry, I believe you Thunderlane.

Shut up, they’re sparkly and you would have looked too.

Sure, that’s your excuse. Perv.

Thankfully, I don’t think I was noticed, cause when she turned around all Crystina did was smile politely. “Alright, let’s head out.”

“Yep.” I nodded in agreement before having to rush over when she stumbled on her first step. She blushed as I started glancing down at her hooves. “Um... do you uh.... need some help?” I faintly noticed that they were getting a bit of a greenish tint to them as well.

“Um.... yes.” Grabbing her shoulder gently, I helped her stay upright as we started walking. “Thank you.”

Opening the door, I smiled back. “No problem.”

As we walked down the halls of the upper floor to the elevator, I continued talking with Crystina and supporting her whenever she stumbled due to her new legs. I was having so many mixed feelings about this, considering I was a.) In excessively close proximity of the girl I like and she was actively aware of me while wearing a rather revealing white tanktop, and b.) I was having to help her walk just to get to an elevator. The talking helped keep it to a less awkward level though, and my mind much less focused on certain areas of the female body. “So who would you like to know more about first? I mean, there’s essentially five people I can talk about that count as my direct family.”

That and the topic was my sisters. I don’t feel that way about them so it tends to keep the mind focused.

Liar.

Sod off you’re staring too.

Only cause you are.

Crystina looked up at the ceiling in thought for a moment before turning her head to me. “How about your oldest sister. Sabrina, right?”

Giving her a smile as we got to the elevator, I looked over at her as I pressed the call button. “Correctomundo.” As Crystina giggled, I stepped back and stood next to her as we watched the numbers go up. “Sabrina’s pretty much a big tomboy, but in her own way.”

Crystina chuckled a bit and arched an eyebrow. “How so?”

I shrugged a bit and rolled my eyes. “While she doesn’t really like ‘stupid girly things,’ as she lovingly puts it, she’s actually really into knitting.”

Crystina looked over at me in amusement, and I faintly caught a glimmer from the fur on her legs. “Really? Wouldn’t that contradict being a tomboy?”

A smirk grew on my face as the elevator arrived and we both got on. “Like I said, she’s one in her own way. Though I would not recommend mentioning the knitting very much if you do end up talking to her. Very short temper to match her height.”

The doors closed and Crystina pressed the button for the lobby. “So what about your other sister, Alice?”

I sighed a bit and looked up. “Alice was the opposite of Sabrina in almost every way, at least when it came to how they looked. Alice was really into picking apart people’s actions and reasons for doing things, so she went into college going for a psychology degree. I hear she’s doing good.”

“Mmhm.” Crystina looked at the buttons for a moment before glancing over at me again. “And Heather?”

A smile came to my face as I thought back. “Heather... was pretty unique. She was the farm girl that loved to take care of animals and work in the garden. Every year she made us help her work the dirt. Then she went off to get a botany degree and we haven’t heard from her since.” The smile on my face fell slightly. “She sure did add a lot of flavor to the house, and Emi loved working in the garden too.”

A twitch came across her face as she looked away. “Oh. Um.... sorry if it’s a sensitive subject.”

I waved a hand dismissively. “Nah, it’s fine. All three of them moved out awhile ago. It’s just been me and Emi left in the house when it comes to kids. Emi likes to keep up the garden, but I’m pretty sure she just likes using the food in the kitchen.”

Crystina perked up a bit and looked over. “Emi can cook?”

The laugh that escaped me was practically unstoppable as I thought back to better days. “She’s phenomenal at cooking, especially for a middle schooler, but every time we say so she just blushes and doesn’t believe a word of it.” The elevator door opened and the two of us walked out into the lobby, heading towards some benches that were next to the fountain. “I’m pretty sure she thinks we eat the food because we’re just sparing her feelings. The honest truth though is that the filly can make one mean bowl of pasta.”

When we got to the benches, Crystina shook her head. “Well now I just want to have some spaghetti.” As I eased Crystina down onto the bench, she looked away for a moment before perking up a bit. “And uh... Grent?”

Sitting down next to her, I raised an eyebrow. “Yeah?”

“I think I might have figured out why you went a little crazy when driving over here.” She poked my wing and it flared out a bit on it’s own. “You’re turning into a pegasus, right? What if that was your flying instincts kicking in?”

Blinking was practically my only response for a moment before I looked up at the high ceiling. “Huh.... Hadn’t thought of that. And now that I do, it would explain why I hated how cramped the van was starting to feel.” I looked back over to Crystina with a smile. “Thanks Crystina. It’s good to know I’m not going completely insane.” A small blur of color flashed across my vision for a moment before I looked up towards Crystina’s hair and frowned a bit. “Um... You may not like this news.”

Crystina’s face fell as her hands reached up and lightly grabbed the new emerald green ears that were parting the neon tide of a mane. The whimper that escaped her lips made me put a hand on her shoulder. “Hey hey hey, I promised I’d find a way to fix this. We just need to wait for the convention to start.”

The next thing I knew, she had pulled me into a hug and I could hear her cry a bit into my shoulder. “Thank you.”

I will admit that I was frozen for about a second or two before I returned the hug. My wings, for some reason, had unfurled and wrapped around her as well, making the hug kinda warm compared to normal. “Anything for a friend.” I’m not entirely sure how long we sat down there, just me holding her as she sniffled and silently cried into my shoulder. An awkward cough was all I did after holding onto the hug for a little longer then I was getting comfortable with. When Crystina finally let go, I started to get up. “So, think you can manage getting to the elevator on your own?”

She took my hand to help her get up, and though she wobbled a bit at first, Crystina stood and nodded. “I think so, but it’d probably be best if you stayed close.”

It was about then that I realized what I was doing over the course of the past hour or so. In that time, I had had the first real conversation with Crystina that didn’t involve any form of awkwardness or her complaining about my general laziness in class in the entire time I’ve known her. It was making this weird feeling build in my chest, so I gave her a warm smile and started to walk off to the elevators. “Alright, then let’s get go-”

Despite my mental revelations and what not, my legs had decided to give out from under me right at that moment and I landed muzzle first on the hotel’s oh-so-hard linoleum floor. I’m pretty sure that the thud of a guy covered in gold fur and two large wings drew a fair amount of attention. Especially when he doesn’t move for a moment afterwards. “Ow.”

I could hear the clop of Crystina’s hooves as she slowly walked over. “Um.... Grent?”

My arm shot up off the ground and I stopped her. “Don’t tell me. Legs?”

“Legs.”

[Groaning intensifies] “Celestia darn it.”


Meanwhile back in the room, Emi was starting to wake up after feeling a tingling run across her body. Sitting up with a yawn, she idly scratched at the fur on her arms before hopping off the bed and heading for the restroom. As she passed Damien on the couch, she stopped and looked at his face before giggling. Drool was pouring out of the yellowish beak that had replaced his mouth and nose as he snored. “Well, at least now he doesn’t have to brush his teeth.” A glance down showed her that Cricket was sniffing at his beak. Emi grinned evilly and chuckled. “Yes Cricket, lick his face. Do it my loyal minion.”

Cricket looked over at her and barked once before softly licking at the underside of Damien’s beak.

Pleased with the corgi’s response, the little red filly hummed as she headed for the bathroom. When she got inside, she immediately noticed that something was off. “When was the counter this high?” Sighing to herself, she put her hands on the eye level counter and pulled herself up enough to look at her reflection. At first, the mirror showed her a slightly grumpy, red anthro unicorn looking back at her with neon yellow eyes. After a few seconds of looking however, it showed an incredibly happy little pony girl that was squishing her cheeks together excitedly while holding herself up with her elbows. Her squealing could be heard for a few rooms over as soon as her excitement boiled over and she hopped down from the counter. “ADORABLENESS HAS BEEN ACHIEVED!” She paused and poked her still human nose with a finger, giving a silly grin and sticking her tongue out. “Well, mostly.”

A loud thump followed by a surprised squawk made her look back to the door. “I’M UP!” Emi giggled to herself as she ran back out into the hotel room and saw Damien sitting on the floor with his arms in the air, and Cricket jumping around and barking. There were a bunch of grey feathers surrounding him and they were blending with the ones on his arms and the feathers sticking out of his shirt.

Cricket did not care for the source however. He just wanted to chase the floaty thingies that kept landing on his nose.

“Damien, look at me!” Emi practically bounced up to the fallen griffon and started pose in ways to show off her new fur. “I look so freaking adorable!”

He just stared at her for a moment, even as Cricket started to lick at his chin. “Are you insane?”

She stopped bouncing for a minute and shrugged while standing calmly. “Well, although I’ve never been tested, popular opinion would leave one to believe that I am.”

He facepalmed and groaned. “Why...”

Emi grimaced a bit as she looked off to the side. “I’m afraid they’d be right.”

Damien stared at her tiredly as he removed his hand from his face. “No, I mean why are you so excited about turning into a pony? This is supposed to be a bad thing.”

“Oh.” Emi overdramatically leaned back as Cricket ran back over to her and started circling her legs. “You wouldn’t understand, but constantly finding ways to be cute and adorable is really, really hard for a twelve year old.”

Damien sighed and slumped forward a bit. “Would you please stop? It’s too early in the morning.”

Emi snorted a little in amusement as she looked at the clock. “It’s like.... nine einstein. Crystina and Brotacular let us sleep in.”

Damien pinched the bridge of what used to be his nose with a sigh. “Whatever let’s just head down-” His eyes widened as he slowly felt over his beak. “I have a beak now. Great.”

The antro filly giggled and pointed at his cheeks. “And you also have drool on you.” As Damien started to wipe his face off, Emi headed for the door to the hotel room. “Hey Damien, I’m going to see if I can find the Brofender of Justice, and show off how adorable I am while I’m at it!”

Seeing her start to leave the room, Damien tried to get up off the floor and follow. “H-hey! Wait for-” He tripped and landed with a thud. As the boy turning griffon looked back to see what had tripped him, he saw Cricket chasing his stubby little tail near his feet.

“Stupid dog.”