• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 1,061 Views, 28 Comments

Freedom Incarnate, or the Redemption of Chaos - Spirit Wind



Spirit Wind, a perpetually blank-flanked pony, stumbles across a gem holding some of Discord's Power

  • ...
2
 28
 1,061

Countering Chaos

Finally, we reached the doors to Canterlot Castle. Unlike the last time I was here, the doors were covered in huge wooden chains, preventing us from just opening the door. If the doors were anything other than a natural materiel like wood, we probably would've had to find a different entrance, luckily we had an expert in nature with us.

"It looks like I actually can do something here. Stand back!" Golden Harvest announced. Unexpectedly, the orange mare leapt at the chains of wood and started biting into them. As a Pegasus, I hardly question why Earth Ponies do something, especially when Pinkie Pie was involved, but even THIS, confused me.

My confusion ended suddenly, when the chains started to slacken, and Golden Harvest actually started yelling at the chains to let us through. Earth Pony Magic, I've learned to stop questioning it. By the time we registered what she was up to, she was already done and the door was open. "...And next time you think of blocking our path, I won't go easy!" Golden finished before turning to us. "Well, that tree won't bother us again, easy as pie. Let's go."

Out of our group, only Ditzy and I were stunned at what Golden did. Shortly, we shook our heads and went along with the rest. If I had thought Discord messed up the castle before, this was just insane. Even now, I can't exactly describe what was going on or how we were moving through, only Screwball and I could protect our group from going completely nuts at what we were looking at.

Somehow we ended up in an open room after sliding down a wet tongue of some sort that mashed up color with broccoli. Luckily, this room wasn't as messed up as that "Hallway", in fact, this room was almost a completely normal concert hall. "Wh...What... That, and with the... I've never even..." Octavia was scrambling to complete a sentence to describe our walk through the hall. Ditzy was laughing and Golden Harvest was struck speechless. Aside from Screwball and I (Who were immune to Discord's crazy worlds) only Vinyl seemed unaffected.

"Eh, I've seen worse, I once ate a five pronged leaf once that sent me into a crazy world even Discord would be afraid of." Were Vinyl's exact words about the whole thing. I still think that she would've gone crazy if it wasn't for Screwball and me. Regardless, Vinyl started to walk around the concert hall to see if she could find a way out while the others recovered their senses. A short rest later, Vinyl came back to the group and reported what she saw.

"Well, I didn't find us a way out, but there were some cool records on the stage that acted as a giant set of turntables!" She reported.

"Vinyl, only you would be excited about a giant set of turntables, we would rather find Discord." Octavia responded. I nodded in agreement, as did everypony else. Just as the rest of us got to exploring the hall, a familiar chuckle rang.

"Why hellooooo intruders, welcome to my music room. I'm glad you could join me." Discord announced before appearing in the center of the room with a bright flash of light. All of us immediately set into a battle stance. Octavia pulled her cello out of off-screen. Golden Harvest braced herself forward. Vinyl summoned a pair of records and began spinning them like a buzz saw. Ditzy took to the air and prepared a ridiculously sized cannon stuffed with muffin batter. I began tugging at the chaos strings inside me, otherwise looking fiercely at the ground.

Screwball, however, was standing uncomfortably still, looking about two hooves to the left of her dad.

"Screwball, you wound me. Why are you with these ruffians instead of beside your dear old dad?" Discord mocked. Screwball remained silent, she may have seen the need for control, but just to go straight up and fight her father? I expected this reaction. There was nothing I could do, this was the one thing I actually couldn't help her with.

Discord apparently got bored, so he yawned and snapped his fingers a few times; each time a new Discord appeared next to the old one. Soon, we were surrounded by a large handful of Discord's, each laughing manically.

"This will be fun." All of the Discord's said at once. Combat began, Vinyl threw her records like Frisbees of death, cutting through two of the Discords, who vanished into a pile of confetti.

"Let's spin this shit!" Vinyl shouted her battle-cry. Ditzy screamed in rage and began launching hot muffin batter everywhere. Golden Harvest disappeared into a crowd of the Discords. Octavia provided the background music (I still think she's way to proper... and it didn't even fit the mood!), and I began weaving my own brand of chaos.

Screwball was frozen in place, still torn on what to do. Without her, we would have a harder time beating Discord, but we had to try.

In unsettling synchronicity, the Discords acted as a crazy military force, each "pair" sliding and skidding around with no real aim. Each "pair" somehow managed to cause damage, to either us or the surroundings, that could rival any muffin cannon or flying disc of death. During the match, I managed to get bowled down and cut up along my stomach when I was used as a trampoline. Octavia managed to avoid much damage, but even through her injury, she kept up the phantom orchestra. Vinyl rocked around to a beat all her own, taking down more Discords than anyone. Ditzy was a maniac, shooting at anything and everything, even with this display of crazy, she ended up being the only one of us who wasn't injured by the end of the fight.

Golden Harvest was easily the most brutal of us, causing the most harm without actually ending any of the Discords. She was also one of the most injured of the group. By the time the fighting ended with the last confetti explosion, she was down and out. We were worried that she was dead, but luckily Octavia was able to tell she was alive.

After the fight was over, Discord spoke up again, this time without being there. "Ah, you are tougher than you look, when you actually meet me you might have a chance. For now, rest, I've provided a room, " a door appeared and opened in one of the walls, "aren't I nice? Hahahaha... oh, and Screwball, pick a side next time, they really could've used your help. Hahahaha..." His voice faded, leaving the silence behind.

"Let's rest, if we're gonna run into an army of Draconequinsses... Dracono.... bah, an army of Discords, we'll need it. I just hope this isn't a trap." I told to the group. Everyone nodded.

Nearly everyone was inside the new room, only Screwball and I were left in the concert hall. I approached her to see if I could fix her 'brokenness' of staring off into the ground. "Hey, Screwball, you ok?" I asked. She looked up, but didn't say anything. "Come on, say something at least." Still nothing. Honestly, I hated seeing her like this, conflicted doesn't look good on her face. After trying a countless amount of ways to get her to react in vain, I resorted to something I KNEW would provoke a reaction, good or bad.

I kissed her.