• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 1,061 Views, 28 Comments

Freedom Incarnate, or the Redemption of Chaos - Spirit Wind



Spirit Wind, a perpetually blank-flanked pony, stumbles across a gem holding some of Discord's Power

  • ...
2
 28
 1,061

Rumors of Evil

While skimming the water, I was truly lost in my thoughts. So much so that I didn’t even see the two trespassers approach. My serenity was so complete, I eventually lost my bearings. Once I opened my eyes, I saw a mint green unicorn and a pale yellow earth pony watching me. Startled, I lost altitude and my left wing sunk into the water, halting my flight and sending me tumbling wing over hooves into the sandy shore, leaving a rather impressive sand rift.

“Hey, Lyra, who’s that?” Bon bon mused.

“Is she okay? That was some fall.” Lyra responded. I pulled myself out of the sand crater and shook most of the sand and water mix out of my mane. I started to walk up to them.

“Hey, I didn’t expect anyone else to be this far away from Ponyville this late.” I greeted them; as if I hadn’t just taken a spectacular crash though the sand.

“Wait… I remember you; you’re that blank flank colt who moved to Ponyville a while ago.” Bon bon said with a sudden spark of recognition.

“Wait, that’s a colt? You’re a colt?” Lyra asked, confused. This wasn’t the first, or the last time I’d hear a comment like that.

“Yeah, I’m a colt. Anyway, I’ll take my leave unless you need something from me.” I stated, getting ready for takeoff again. Since they hadn’t said anything for a bit, I took off back towards the ocean. Just as I started my climb, I heard one of them shout,

“Wait! Is it true that you nearly killed Fluttershy?”

I was so shocked by this accusation that I literally fell from the air and landed with an inglorious splat in the ocean. My peace shattered by those words and the icy ocean, I paddled to shore. Stomping my way up to the two mares, I nearly lost my head in anger.

“I-“ I began, before I caught myself. I paused for a second or two before sighing and replying with,
“Yes, my refusal to act nearly cost Fluttershy her life. I regret being so stupid. Why do you think I won’t go back to Ponyville, yet if ever?”

“Oh, so you didn’t actually attack her with a knife?” Lyra asked

“What?” I swore my eyes became as large as saucers.

“It seems that a rumor’s gone around about a blank flanked colt who assaulted Fluttershy.”

“Are… are you serious?” I shivered at the thought that anyone thought I attacked her directly.

“Yeah, although nopony can agree on how.”

“I need to fix this!” I shouted before immediately taking off towards Ponyville. It pained me that I already had caused somepony to get injured, now it’s only made worse by rumors saying that I deliberately hurt her! Kindness was my last saving grace, I had already lost loyalty.

The sun had appeared over the horizon by the time I reached Ponyville, I was exhausted and barely able to fly, but I had made it. What happened next was confusing.

Flying down to Sugarcube Corner, I had expected an angry mob to form right under me. No such bad luck, the streets were still empty when I landed at the door. I don’t know what told me to go to that sweet store, hunger perhaps? There wasn’t any noise from inside, since it was daybreak, I wasn’t surprised. What did surprise me however, is when I opened the door, a very pink ball of energy greeted me with the greatest enthusiasm.

“Heya, Windy! Welcome home!” Pinkie Pie greeted me, and pulled me inside the corner. I was greeted by a large amount of ponies partying to some random mish-mash of sounds that almost instantly gave me a headache, and a neck ache for some reason. Trying to ignore the pain, I asked Pinkie,

“What’s the reason for the party this time?”

“You silly! Twilight and Fluttershy were worried that you weren’t coming back so they told Lyra and her marefriend to find you and get you to come back here!”

“Th-they told me that rumors were spreading that I deliberately hurt Fluttershy!”

“Of course that’s not true! You’d never hurt Fluttershy, at least not on purpose!... would you? Would you???” Pinkie pried, making me feel very, very small.

“No…” My reply was so weak, it could’ve blown away in the wind.

“Ok! I’m gonna go get more punch, have fun!” Pinkie finished before bouncing off to the kitchen. I swear, when it comes to parties, Pinkie never loses energy. Still confused at the turn of events, I decided to get lost in the fun, shoving my worries off for another day. My head was covered with a lampshade before I could even say ‘fun’.

Sometime later during the party, I had noticed a familiar chaos-causing pony in a conversation with Twilight over, I assumed, the finer workings of chaos magic. I approached her with the strangest feeling in my stomach.

“Hey Screwball! Good to see you again.” I greeted her.

“Spirit Hey!” Came her simple reply.

“I’m glad you were able to make it.”

“problem a not!” She dismissed. A slow tune flicked on, and the lights dimmed.

“Uh… would you like to dance?” I asked, slightly taken back at the sudden change of mood.

“Ok…uh…” She replied with a blush. We made our way to the dance floor, when I noticed a strange line appear on one of the building’s walls. This line more appeared to be following the wall instead of being on the wall itself. Just as I was about to ignore it, more of these lines appeared, crisscrossing the whole scene. Suddenly, like stained glass windows in Celestia’s throne room, my entire world shattered into millions of colored shards.