• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 1,062 Views, 28 Comments

Freedom Incarnate, or the Redemption of Chaos - Spirit Wind



Spirit Wind, a perpetually blank-flanked pony, stumbles across a gem holding some of Discord's Power

  • ...
2
 28
 1,062

Acts of Chaos?

When I wasn’t dead, I calmed down a bit and sat, thinking about all things that I’d miss after I was gone. After another hour had passed, I starting thinking that I may actually not die, that’s when I was greeted by Rainbow Dash. “Hey, I was sent by Twilight to calm you down, not sure why, she didn’t explain. So come on! Let’s race!”

Getting a little ansty sitting on this mountain for so long, I took up the rainbow pegasus’ offer. We took off from the top of the mountain and started a spiral course off towards Ponyville. I knew I wasn’t as good a flyer as Rainbow Dash was, but I still tried my hardest, even if I wasn’t determined to win, I was trying my best to keep close. That went about as well as expected, I ended up a whole minute behind Rainbow Dash, and growing. Unlike my usual self, I prayed for something, anything to slow Rainbow down. A twitch sparked in my throat, similar to when I ate a zap apple for the first time.

In the distance, I saw Rainbow Dash hit something, something pink. Once I got closer, I noticed she was stuck to the pink fluffball, so I stopped to see what was going on.

“What the hay? I thought these would stop showing up now that Discord’s stone again. What gives?” Rainbow Dash questioned while trying to break free. Trying to help her only got my hooves sticky, with cotton candy. “Eagh, what is this? Cotton candy, in cloud shape?” I asked

“Yeah, Discord made a whole mess of these when he broke free, Twilight told you the story earlier, didn’t she?” Rainbow remarked while breaking free from the cloud.

“Yeah, but she didn’t mention the exact chaos he caused.” I replied while taking a bite of the cloud thoughtfully. The cloud was sweet, and tasted as good as expected.

“Well, these annoying things were part of it.”

“They don’t seem too annoying, they taste good at least.”

“You haven’t seen one pour chocolate milk on everypony”

“That sounds delicious!”

“You sound just like Pinkie Pie. Come on, we better go tell Twilight about this.”

“All right, I’m taking this though.” I stated, while following Rainbow Dash, with tasty pink cloud in tow. Upon reaching the library, there was barely anything left of the cloud when Twilight had answered the door. “Hello Rainbow, oh, and Spirit, come in, we have things to discuss, don’t run off this time.” She said with an almost literal smirk in her voice.

We sat down at the small table set up in the library usually used for quiet study. Twilight hovered over a book that was almost as colorful as the gem I ate. “Now, to begin, Spirit, that gem you ate won’t kill you, but it will affect you in a different way, starting with that cotton candy cloud you have all over your face. I’ll explain more later.” Twilight began.

“So that cloud doesn’t mean Discord’s back?” Rainbow Dash asked.

“No, Discord is still securely locked in his stony prison, Equestria is safe…mostly.” Twilight replied, casting a wary glance my way. “Anyway, Spirit, that gem you ate is known as a Chaos Ruby, it was a special gem created when Discord was sealed away and his power was removed by the Princesses…” At this point, I started zoning out of her history babble, I knew it was important, but I really didn’t want to listen to history, until she stated the phrase “…and so eating the Chaos Ruby must’ve given you some of Discord’s power…”

I responded with, “Wait, so you mean I can perform some acts of chaos?”

“well, yes but-“ Twilight started again before I started for the front door. Swiftly, I was tackled down by Rainbow. “Yes, but it’s dangerous, that power once threw Equestria into a chaotic mess! You must be careful and not use that power carelessly. Especially since you don’t know how to use it perfectly yet.” Twilight finished.

“Fine, fine, I’ll be careful, but I still will take advantage of this.” I remarked, getting help up from Rainbow. “Besides, its not like I’m Discord himself, right? Anyway, I’m off to do something else, thanks for the info!” I trotted out of the library, but I could still hear a bit of speech from the inside, “I know, I don’t trust him either, Discord’s power in the hands of the flightiest of ponies, who knows the damage? The letter’s been sent, so all that’s left is for the Princess’s reply….when…”

This statement hurt, I guess I still wasn’t trusted around here, I didn’t blame them though, if I was somepony else, I wouldn’t trust me either. It didn’t make the pain any less real though. I decided I needed to be seen as no threat, even with this power. My first thoughts were to show the pony who’d appreciate the power the most.

My arrival at Sugarcube Corner was expected because Pinkie Pie’s pinkie sense went off, signaling the arrival of someone with power (it could’ve been me, or the mayor, her sense wasn’t as specific as that). She greeted me as she greets everypony who steps into Sugarcube Corner, “Heya Spirit! Welcome to Sugarcube Corner! Can I get you a cupcake, a piece of pie, or *gasp* maybe a whole cake! Anyway, take a seat and tell me what you want!” as bubbly as ever, she showed me to a table.

“Actually, Pinkie, I want to show you something, but it’s gotta be outside.” I told her.

“Oh! Okie-dokie-lokie, just let me finish work first! Come back in a couple hours or so?” She responded. I nodded my agreement and made my way to the Everfree forest after getting a small muffin with what change I had left over after my last package run. Swirling about the sky, I started practicing chaos, dotting the sky with a few pink candy clouds and making a tree or two into licorice. I immediately realized the danger I could be when a tree I was trying to make into glass burst into flame! Quickly, I doused it with a surge of chocolate milk, but the tree itself was lost to the fire. Oddly, I was ok with the loss of the tree, after all, the fire was pretty. While I did understand the danger I could be… I didn’t care.

An hour or so had passed and I went back to Sugarcube Corner. Pinkie was there expectantly, bouncing around as usual. I waved to her on my decent. Once landed, she began questioning me on what I wanted to show her. “So, what is it, what did you want to show me, huh? Huh? Huh?” Was near the exact wording she used. Sharing in her excitement, I summoned a cotton candy cloud directly above her. Thus the chocolate milk fell on the shocked pony’s head.

“What do ya think?” I asked. Pinkie took a taste, then a mouthful of the chocolaty rain. After a large gasp, she responded with, “Chocolate rain! Yummy! Where did you find the cloud? Tell me, tell me, tell me!”

“I can make them now, that’s the best part!” I answered, glowing with pride. Another gasp escaped the pony, “That’s amazing! You’re not gonna go crazy and turn everypony grey are you?”

“I don’t intend to if I end up doing so.” I responded, a bit hurt that so little was thought of me after I got these powers.
“Ok good! Cause Discord was fun, but he nearly broke my friends and our friendship, so he was a bad guy, luckily we had the elements of harmony to fix everything, that world was a biiit too crazy, even for me!” Pinkie Pie said while laughing. So even the pony who I thought would fit best with Discord’s world thought he was evil.

I left Pinkie Pie with the cloud and travelled off towards the Everfree forest again, silently hoping that someone would approve of me unconditionally, not even my parents or own brother did. I’d already made peace with the fact that my own family had emotionally abandoned me even before I actually left. Now, I just need to find somepony who likes me as I am now, chaos powers and all.Good luck, I told myself.

Before drifting off to sleep on a cloud, I decided to make a visit to Discord’s statue in Canterlot on the train tomorrow. If I can’t find anypony who would approve of me, maybe I could get approval from the spirit of chaos himself.