• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 1,061 Views, 28 Comments

Freedom Incarnate, or the Redemption of Chaos - Spirit Wind



Spirit Wind, a perpetually blank-flanked pony, stumbles across a gem holding some of Discord's Power

  • ...
2
 28
 1,061

Repercussions

Without thinking, I took off flying back towards Ponyville. Everypony loved Fluttershy, including myself. She was the sweetest, kindest and most gentle pony ever to grace Equestria, and now she might be gone forever. I flew as fast as I could, trying to see if there was anything I could do. We were about to lose Fluttershy and it was all my fault.

Hovering over Ponyville, I noticed that the town seemed empty. I wondered where everyone had gone. Since the fight had taken place in Canterlot, I thought that everypony wouldn’t hear about it until later. Pressing on, even while my wings ached, I started towards Canterlot.

After I couldn’t fly anymore, I started to run. I lost track of time quickly, my energy was running out, and I blacked out on my way there. When I woke up, I started running again. Even though I knew I could use chaos magic to get there instantly, I was angry at it for causing this mess. This happened at least twice, and by the time I had arrived, I had forgotten what day it was. Time wasn’t even important, only life was.

Fluttershy was under care in the castle, still in a fragile state of life. Not that I was able to tell, the palace guards stopped me from even entering the front gate. “None may enter the castle at this time, as an investigation is underway.”

“Come on! Let me in! My friend is injured and I need to see her!”

“What is your name?”

“Spirit Wind!” I answered. The guards looked at each other with the same plain face as usual, before one of them spoke up and grabbed me by the shoulder, “Spirit Wind, you will come with me.”

“What?” I questioned while being led roughly through the gate. The guard was leading me down multiple flights of stairs, towards the dungeons.

“You are accused of conspiracy of treason, and will be held until Princess Celestia sees fit to hear your case.”

“No!” I shouted, I couldn’t be locked away, I would go crazy, I hadn’t even apologized to Fluttershy yet. Summoning up what chaotic energy I could, I teleported my guard and myself to Fluttershy’s resting room (Chaos has a funny way of making you go where you want to.). Five of the six elements were in the room at the time. Fluttershy was laying unconscious and covered in bandages nearly everywhere, Rarity was dabbing her eyes with a cloth, Pinkie Pie was sitting down sadly, even her hair was flat, Applejack was just entering the room, and Rainbow Dash was laying her head down beside Fluttershy’s bed. Things appeared as if she had just gotten injured, or a few hours out of surgery.

“I’m sorry!” I shouted, “I’m so sorry!” I nearly started crying again. While Fluttershy was still out, everypony else gave me scornful looks that screamed “Traitor”. The guard had started hauling me out again, this time I had no energy to do anything about it. I had allowed myself to have my freedom stripped away, those looks had made me feel as if I deserved it.
An uncounted amount of days had passed, and Fluttershy did recover; She was left even weaker than she was before. Even as I went stir crazy, started talking to myself, and turning my cell into a mess of chaotic randomness, I was always focused on the regret I felt for not making a choice. Although I knew that not making a choice would have its own consequences, I didn’t expect anything that bad. I had been visited by each of the elements, except for magic, once. Honesty and Generosity chewed me out, Laughter… I had no idea what she was talking about, and I ended up apologizing to Kindness over and over, even though she said that it wasn’t my fault. Loyalty, Loyalty was the worst; if bars hadn’t been in the way, I was sure she was going to end me.

Eventually, I was hauled up to Princess Celestia’s throne room, where I was to be judged. The elements had returned home at this point, so I was alone in the room with Celestia, and her guards. The atmosphere was as thick as syrup. Celestia’s expression showed that she was more bored than angry.

“Spirit, I had understood that you were there when Discord and the Elements of Harmony began their conflict.”

“Yes” I had no other way to respond.

“And did they ask you for help?”

“Yes”

“Did you help them?”

“No”

“Why not?”

“I got scared”

“Scared?”

“Yes, scared of making a choice”

“What choice were you given?”

“Between helping Discord, and helping the Elements of Harmony.” My voice started to waver.

“Why was that a choice?”

“Because Screwball asked me to help her and her father.”

“What made you consider that option?”

“I…I like Screwball” my voice fell away at the end.

“Really?” Celestia seemed to think on this a while.

“Well, I came to my decision.” She paused for dramatic effect, no idea why. “Spirit Wind of Ponyville, I find you innocent. However, “ Another pause, “You are forbidden to enter Canterlot for five years. And you are no longer allowed to enter the Canterlot gardens under penalty of treason.”

“I-“ I began in protest before changing my mind, “Thank you.”

“Guards, escort him out of Canterlot.”

“Yes, your Highness” Two guards spoke. I was promptly led out of Canterlot and left at the gate. Immediately returning to Ponyville would probably be a bad idea, since the Elements live there, and they were probably still mad. My mind knew another choice was coming up, so instead of thinking, I just started flying with no destination in mind.

My wandering led me to the shore again. I stared out at the night-covered ocean, drinking in the peaceful view. Putting my worries away, I started a flight dance, using the water as a reflection of my actions. With the otherworldly scene unfolding at my wingtips, I reflected on what had happened.