• Published 26th Apr 2012
  • 1,059 Views, 28 Comments

Freedom Incarnate, or the Redemption of Chaos - Spirit Wind



Spirit Wind, a perpetually blank-flanked pony, stumbles across a gem holding some of Discord's Power

  • ...
2
 28
 1,059

A rather tasty problem

It was shortly after Winter Wrap Up, everypony was getting used to the new season’s weather patterns. I was lazing about the bottom of a mountain on the eastern region of the area around Ponyville. While I don’t exactly remember what I was doing, I somehow ended up sliding on my back down the side of the mountain. That I can remember because I was plucking dirt and gravel out of my wings for weeks.

After face-planting in the dirt at the base of the mountain, I found that I had dug up a small, glittering gem. This wouldn’t have been interesting since gems were commonly found in these mountains, except that this gem wasn’t acting like a regular gem at all. Every time I blinked, this gem would take on a different color, a different shape, even a different texture at one point.

A gem this free with its appearance made me curious, and excited. Without a second thought, I tucked the gem away between a few feathers, and dashed off for the library. I guess I forgot who was in charge of the library, and who she was friends with.

Upon reaching the library and knocking on the door, I was greeted by a white mare with a flair for hair. Rarity. “Hello? Oh, dearie me, what happened? Your mane is a mess!” Rarity exclaimed.
“sliding down a mountain will do that.” I replied.

“Rarity, she’s probably here for a book, not to host a fashion show.” A voice I recognized as Twilight Sparkle’s interrupted. She made her way over to the door, “Oh, Spirit, how can I help you?”

“Stop by my boutique after you’re done, Spirit, we must do something about all that dirt! Thanks again Twi-dear! Tata!” Rarity spoke before trotting off towards Carousel Boutique. I waved a good-bye before turning to Twilight. “Twilight, you’re never gonna guess what I found!” I exclaimed, happy about presenting my find.

“What is it, better not be another ‘fossil’, we’ve had a hard enough time removing the birds after you found that thing.” Twilight remarked. I presented the gem, now with a blue glow and in the shape of a turtle. “You found… a gem. You know these are found easily around here, even if this one has a unique… did it just change shape… and color?”

“Now do you see why I wanted to show this to you, this gem doesn’t stay the same for very long!” I exclaimed excitedly. “It’s crazy!”

“I have never seen anything like this!” Twilight yelled while snatching the ever-changing gem out of my hands, “Maybe it’s a gem enchanted with magic! It could also be a new form of amorphous rock. Oh! Maybe it’s a new type of living creature!” Twilight rambled on like this for a few hours, as well as pulling various books off the shelves looking for any kind of lead. I got bored of watching her scramble about, so I ducked out for a snack.

After meeting with Pinkie Pie at Sugarcube Corner for a light snack and another random song dedicated to various pastries, I found myself thinking of that gem again. So I went back to the library, and found Twilight surrounded with open books, the gem in front of her, and herself, passed out with her head on the table she was working on. “Uh, Twilight?” I asked before moving in to see if she was all right. Luckily, she was still breathing.

I tried to shake her awake, but it didn’t work. I tried to find Spike, but it seemed he was absent, which was unusual. Once I got tired of running around the library, and trying all different ways of waking Twilight up, I finally resorted to taking the gem and heading back to my sleep-tree. Hey, it’s my gem, and I was tired.

I must’ve been more tired than I thought, because I thought I saw a pink cloud floating in the sky. Once back to my tree, I took up a sleeping position and tucked the now-sticky gem back into my wings. Upon falling asleep, I dreamt the most chaotic dream I’ve ever had, roads of soap and gigantic apples on trees. During the dream, I had stood next to an empty throne and witnessed Ponyville turn into an amusingly chaotic reality. When awake, I would’ve been scared and confused, but in this dream, I enjoyed every minute of the chaos. At the time, I was unaware of who this dream was really about.

When awake, I was starving, and still sleepy. In a daze, I flapped down out of the tree onto the Everfree Forest path and buried my head in the dirt, trying to clear my thoughts. Once I heard my stomach growl with hunger, I started looking around for something to eat. Since my head was still in a fog, I really didn’t find anything around that suited my tastes (and my tastes are very open!). At that moment, I felt something slippery fall out of my wings, a bright red apple! I devoured the chocolate flavored fruit without a second thought. My thoughts cleared immediately as I heard Twilight’s voice shouting at me from the entrance of the forest.

“Spiiiiirrrriiiiiittttt!” Twilight shouted urgently. I responded by arcing over to behind her and saying, “yes?”

“Spirit, did you take the gem you found out of my library?” Twilight asked, very close to pleading.

“Yeah, I did, fin-“ I started before she interrupted with, “Oh, thank Celestia, do you still have it?”

“Yeah,” I said as I began rummaging through my plumage. “Just…lemme…find…it…um…” I shook my wings furiously trying to shake out the gem. My mind started to panic as I thought I had lost the gem, until I was shocked by a different revelation. “Twilight… I think I ate it.”

“WHAT?” Twilight screamed, “Oh, nonononononono. Spirit, do you realize what that gem was?”

“Uh, no, is it gonna kill me?” I started a full on panic at this point. Without waiting for an answer, I took off at high speed toward the mountains. I span in circles for a good hour waiting for my untimely end.