• Published 10th Nov 2014
  • 3,779 Views, 57 Comments

Mending Souls: What's in My Heart - atomicpuffin



Book Three of the 'Mending Series' where we see what's going on in the chaos family and what happens to them when an unknown danger comes calling.

  • ...
5
 57
 3,779

Chapter Eleven

**A/N Okay so the song in this chapter is called 'Saying Goodbye' by an amazing artist named Joaftheloaf (I only know his youtube name) He's an amazing singer and song writer. Here's a link to the original song, https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xLkq-jjCNsw&list=TLxH5L2hATk30 I would really recommend playing this in the background when it comes to the song, it's very powerful and emotional (I even :raritycry: when I wrote this because I had it playing to set the emotion in my mind...)


The saddened group had moved to Twilight's castle. Rarity and Twilight used their magic to float Discord with them. Everypony was silent and Kibou was carrying his mother and sister on his back. Kibou had used his magic to bring Flitterbee to them, nothing had been harder on him than watching that filly cry over her fallen father.

She hadn't wanted to accept it, she had shouted and cried at all of them that they were lying...that any minute he would wake up and say gotcha like he always does. It had broken every heart to pull her away from Discord so they could move his body. Now she was laying quietly on his back, she hadn't said a word since they started walking, but Kibou could feel her tears falling into his fur.

Now they were gathered in the throne room of the castle and Kibou once again used his magic to create a pillar, layered with silks for them to lay his father on. His Aunt Rarity used her magic to bring several bouquets of roses to lay around the pillar.

Everypony lowered their heads and began to cry. Kibou was wrapped around his mother and sister. He felt a soft hoof touch his shoulder and he turned to see Storm sitting beside him. He looked away unable to return her sad smile, nothing in this world could bring him joy now…

His Aunt Twilight was the first to approach Discord and to say some words to him.

"Discord...first our enemy, then our reluctant ally, finally our...family...you may have gotten on my nerves most of the time, but deep down I knew that was your way of showing affection...Equestria will remember what you've done old friend...not just the bad, but all the good I promise you…I'll make them see it..." She started to break down and Flash came over wrapping his wing over her. She moved away and Applejack and Spike moved in. Applejack took off her hat and wiped away some of her tears. Spike's arm was wrapped around her.

"Ya always were the stubbornest stallion I've ever met...I just never thought you'd go and...oh Discord…" Applejack started crying and buried her face against Spike, he spoke softly.

"Goodbye friend...even though we weren't all that close for the longest time, there's no doubt that you were a true friend to all of us." They moved off both crying and heads hanging.

Pinkie Pie walked up and placed a glass of chocolate milk next to the old draconequus. She ran her hoof along his fur and whispered,

"This isn't goodbye friend...this is just so long for now...soon we'll be making it rain chocolate all over...together…" She leaned in and placed a soft kiss on his cheek then returned to her husband's side. Cheese nuzzled his wife and whispered,

"I don't think I've ever been prouder of you honey…"

Rarity walked up to Discord and she used her magic to bring forward a beautiful cape, it was meant to be his Hearths Warming present. She laid it across his body and then smoothed it down with her hoof. She said in a very broken voice,

"There...n-n-now y-you can l-l-ook fabul-ous while you prank a-all those po-nies in heaven...Goodbye Dis-Discord, we're g-going to miss you so much...although I...I never showed it...you always made me laugh with your silly ways...I love you my dear friend…"

She covered her mouth and turned away quickly running into Fancy's arms, he stroked her hair as she cried. Of all the friends, none looked as broken as Rainbow. She slowly walked up to Discord and for the longest time she just stood there, silently crying. Finally she rasped,

"You really are an idiot...why did you have to go and do that huh? Always have to be the one to show off…" She stopped and then to everypony's surprise she reached up to stroke his cheek gently. She sobbed and laid her head on the pillar and whispered,

"I love you too Discord...I never really thought you were a monster...I wish...I wish I had...now I'll never be able to tell you…" She continued to sob and the sounds rocked through the room into all the hearts sharing in the sorrow. Soarin walked over to her and led her away his arms wrapped around her.

Now it was time for the hardest goodbye any of them would ever have to watch. The little yellow pegasus walked up to her lost love and all could feel the heartbreak inside the pony. Fluttershy walked over and stared down at her beautiful husband. She reached out and stroked his mane and bit her lip. Then she took a deep breath and all of them froze in wonder as she began to sing softly to her husband...

I remember the times when we'd spend our

days laughing all of our little troubles away

Saving the world seemed like a task we'd do everyday

and all the time.

Here I stand at the end of what we call life, and in time

I'll find my way to have my turn among the stars, and come home

To live in a world where the earth is still, kept in peace

and live with harmony

Facing the facts, I have come to realize, I am all alone

so I guess it's time to say goodbye, it's time to say goodbye.

She stopped and started crying harder. Kibou moved forward and sat next to her wrapping his tail around her. Fluttershy laid her head against her son's body and he rested his snout in her mane as he softly sang to his father...

The words on the page from the things we things we learned,

and the lessons taught will never leave my heart.

The memories we've made, and the lessons shared,

time and time again, will continue on

Here I stand at the end of what we call life, and in time

I'll find my way to have my turn among the stars, and come home

To live in a world where the earth is still, kept in peace

and live with harmony

Facing the facts, I've come to realize, I am all alone

so I guess it's time to say goodbye, it's time to say goodbye.

Fluttershy began to sing along with her son as they said goodbye to the other half of their hearts. Neither noticed the soft glows encasing their bodies...or that the glow was spreading across Discord's body...

And through these times

I know I must be strong, and carry on, without you

To live in a world where the earth is still, kept in peace

and live with harmony

Facing the facts, I've come to realize, I am all alone

Now I know that I must say goodbye, it's time to say goodbye.


Fluttershy buried her face in her son's fur and he wrapped his arms around her holding her close. Flitterbee walked over and wiggled herself between the two and the family embraced each other. Only one pony in the room had noticed the glowing while the two joined together in song. Storm watched amazed as the aura slowly seeped into Discord's body and she held her breath praying for what it meant.

"When chaos and kindness come together and work as one…" She whispered.


Fluttershy clung to her babies. How was she going to be strong for them? Right now it was Kibou that was holding her up and giving her the strength...but she would have to pick up and be their mother. It just hurt too much to know she would have to do this now without her love, her laughter, and her heart. She had lost all those when she had seen him laying there motionless. When she had laid her ear against him and didn't hear a heartbeat the world had stopped and a part of her had died.

Discord was the joy in her world...how...how was she…She pulled out of her son's embrace and moved closer to her husband. She rested her head against his chest and cried softly against the soft silk covering him. She whimpered and whispered to him,

"Discord...we promised to spend eternity together...now what am I going to do?" She brought her hooves up to her face and her whole body began to shake. She felt gentle claws stroke her mane and she knew it was Kibou trying to give her comfort.

She couldn't move though, she didn't want to leave his side. She heard the softest rasp and it made her breath freeze,

"We keep that promise…"

Her head shot up and her eyes met beautiful red ones, and that grin she loved so much.

"DISCORD!" She shouted and threw herself into her husband's arms kissing him and crying harder, but this time it was pure joy radiating. She didn't care how it had happened all she cared was that he was still here with her. She felt a heavy weight on her back and realized it was Kibou and Flitterbee also throwing themselves onto Discord.

He winced slightly, but chuckled and hugged his family. The kids moved away as Discord slowly rose from the pillar he was on. He swung his legs over and looked at all the shocked faces staring at him. He smiled at his friends and held his wife against him as he chuckled.

"Sorry guys...you aren't going to get rid of me that…"

He was knocked backwards, off the other side of the pillar as the other five mares tackled him. All were shouting, laughing and giving him kisses on his cheeks. Discord laughed and hugged his friends.

"I'm so happy that you are all okay...my family…I love all of you so much..." He whispered and they laughed as they hugged him tighter. He winced and moved away from them,

"Easy though girls...I'm still in pretty bad shape...it'll take awhile for my magic to regenerate itself."

Twilight smiled up at him and said,

"So it will come back?"

"Yes, my magic will come back...so long as I'm alive my chaos will stay with me...disappointed?" He grinned at her and all the mares shouted no while laughing. He smiled at all the mares then turned to his son.

He slowly rose to all fours, still not able to hold himself up on two. He got some help from Rainbow and before he moved off he gave her a quick hug and whispered in her ear,

"You never had to say anything...I knew…"

She stared after him open mouthed as he walked to his son. He smiled down at Kibou who was crying, but smiling. Discord wrapped his neck around his son and nuzzled his mane as Kibou nuzzled his father's chest.

"I'm so proud of you little hope...you did it. You saved Equestria…"

Kibou shook his head and pulled back smiling up at his father.

"We did...we saved Equestria together. You're a hero today dad...just as you've always been my hero."


The group helped Discord walk out of the castle. He wasn't strong enough to teleport and he wanted to move around, saying it would help him regain his magic faster.

"What I don't get...not that I really care but...how did this happen?" Twilight said as she looked back at Discord who had Kibou and Flit on his left and Fluttershy on his right.

"Don't ask me… I just remember floating...at least that's what it felt like and then...Then I heard all your voices saying goodbye...I heard singing, I couldn't understand everything but this warm glow surrounded me...next thing I knew I was slowly opening my eyes and I heard an angel's voice." He smiled down at his wife and she returned his smile. Twilight was staring amazed. Discord had just described what it felt like to be in the world between life and death and yet he said it will such a calm tone. It was amazing, it didn't make sense to be so calm about something so massive...but then again look at who she was talking to. She giggled and continued walking, just thanking whatever had brought Discord back to them.

"I know what happened…" Storm whispered from Kibou's other side. He looked down at her and asked her what. She looked between him and Fluttershy then smiled and looked to her mom who was also staring back at her.

"You were right mom…"

"Me? About what exactly?" Rainbow asked raising an eyebrow. The group stopped walking as all of them waited to hear what Storm had to say. She turned to her Aunt Fluttershy and Uncle Discord and pointed at the pair.

"Chaos and kindness...two opposite elements and yet neither can live without the other. When the two come together and work as one something powerful and beautiful is created…Love...Love brought Uncle Discord back. It was the love of his family and all of us that made him come back to us...love is what save Uncle Discord today."

No one said anything, until Discord chuckled and nuzzled his wife and whispered,

"She's probably right my dear...and that means I owe you my life...of course it already belongs to you along with my heart, so I don't know what else I can give you in payment."

She glared at him and it made him laugh harder. She growled and the sound made his fur stand up again. She snorted and turned her head away saying,

"How about you stop being so stubborn and don't put yourself in such dangerous situations again…"

He chuckled and wrapped his arms around her and gave her a gentle kiss. She melted against him and he pulled back chuckling again.

"No promises my love...after all you knew what you were getting into when you married me."

She smiled and laughed, the others joining in. Strange to think not an hour ago the same group had been downcast and heart broken. It just proved that Discord was their joy in the world, without him there was no laughter.

The group continued on their walk and by the time they reached the doors to the outside Discord could lift himself up to walk on two feet. He continued to walk on all fours though, just happy that he could lift himself up. He was recovering fast and it made all his friends smile wider. As the doors opened and they walked outside they were met with the strangest thing. A loud applause from the residents of Ponyville. Everypony was cheering and what amazed Discord more was that it was directed at him.

He frowned at the ponies and thought maybe this was some mistake. Until a pair of earth ponies, twins...he recognized them as the two Morgana had grabbed, walked up to him. They stopped when they were in front of the steps and looked up at him, both smiling. The gold one spoke first,

"Thank you Discord...you saved our lives. You were willing to sacrifice yourself for us…"

The silver one said next,

"Even though you know about all those awful things we said about you...you still attacked the monster holding us...we're sorry for what we said…we were wrong."

Then together they smiled up at him and shouted,

"You're no monster...YOU'RE A HERO!"

There was an answering cheer from the rest of the ponies and Discord stared out at all the smiling faces and felt tears form in his eyes. Could it be true? Could it finally be over…

"You have done a brave thing today Discord…"

They turned to see Princess Celestia, Princess Luna, and Princess Cadence walking towards them, all ponies bowed in respect as they passed. Celestia smiled at Discord and pulled him into a hug, catching him completely by surprise. She whispered so only he could hear,

"You have no idea how happy I am that you're okay dear friend…" She pulled away and he was shocked even further when Luna hugged him. She also whispered in his ear that she was overjoyed that he was not dead.

He stared at them dumbfounded and then looked out over the ponies again and swallowed. He felt a gentle hoof touch his paw and he looked down to see his beautiful wife smiling at him. He couldn't help but return the smile, then Celestia got everypony's attention again as she spoke to the crowd.

"Today we have seen a great display of heroism by our dear friend Discord…"

He blushed at her words and his friends grinned at him. Celestia continued,

"Yes he was willing to face Morgana, a creature with the power to steal his magic and his life, all alone. In order to protect those that live in Equestria, Discord fought her on his own, unwilling to risk another life. His bravery will not be forgotten, and neither will his son's…" She turned to face Kibou and he jumped at the sudden mention of his name, now it was his turn to blush. His father grinned down at him and winked.

"Yes...these two have saved Equestria and all its inhabitants...using the very magic that many of us have been taught to fear. Without their chaos magic Morgana would have been successful in stealing all the magic in this land and taken the lives of countless ponies. They have proven once and for all that their magic is as pure as their hearts…" She smiled at Discord and he felt tears fall from his eyes as the crowd cheered in agreement. He never thought he'd feel so...so...accepted.

"To celebrate this valiant act of bravery, we have brought this...a gift to the chaos family that saved Equestria, it will sit in the Canterlot gardens for all to see and remember."

Luna used her magic to lift cloth off a statue that had been brought in by several guards while Celestia had been talking. The cloth fell away to reveal Discord and Kibou twisted around each other, under them was a crumpled Morgana. The two of them were holding up an orb that amazingly shifted between different colors.

The writing on the stone read 'Chaos rises up to protect Equestria'

The crowd again broke into applause and began chanting Discord's and Kibou's names. Both stood there a bit embarrassed at all the attention. Especially poor Discord, he kept looking around for an escape. Twilight was the one to rescue him, she stepped forward and thanked the princesses.

"However Discord is still very weak from the fighting and...he needs to be taken home so that he may rest."

"Of course...thank you again Discord. I meant it when I said that we will never forget what you've done...be proud of yourself old friend…" Celestia smiled at them as they led Discord away towards his home. He sighed in relief when they were further away from the crowd then winced in pain at a jab in his side.

"What gives...normally you're all over praise...especially when it's directed at you." Rainbow asked as she flew next to Discord. He frowned and looked back at the disappearing crowd.

"It's just...I don't know...I've been hated for so long...I guess I never…"

He stopped and turned back to walking with his head down. Fluttershy looked up at her husband worried and whispered,

"Honey...are you saying even after all this...all that you've done. You still don't believe you deserve to be called a hero?"

He didn't respond, just continued to walk and it was Kibou that stepped into his path. He looked up to see his son glaring at him. Kibou snorted and said,

"Dad...you sacrificed yourself to save all of us. You were willing to die in order to protect us and although that was stupid...it was also the most noble of acts possible. You are a hero today, nothing can take this away from you because you earned it through your selflessness. Dad...why can't you see the good in you that we all see...you are no longer a monster. I meant what I said...we did it together. Just like you wanted all those years ago."

He smiled and walked closer to his father and rested his head against his chest as Discord wrapped his neck around him.

"We beat him together dad...we've finally stopped the Lord of Chaos...he can't haunt you anymore...he's gone for good…"

Discord felt tears fill his eyes as he nuzzled his son's mane. He looked over, meeting the eyes of all his friends, his beautiful smiling daughter, and finally his loving wife.

He smiled and thanked the heavens above.

The Lord of Chaos was finally dead…

"You know what...I think you may be right son…"

"Of course I am...I'm your son aren't I?"

Discord laughed harder and wrapped his arms around his son as the tears fell down his cheeks.

"Indeed...you are most definitely mine...I love you little hope…"

"I love you too...daddy…"

Author's Note:

Discord: Oh you should have seen the looks on your faces! Priceless haha!

*Leaning back in chair eating cupcake…* Really you think I would kill my favorite character:rainbowwild:? Well technically I did, but I wouldn't leave him dead...I hope you enjoyed the story all that's left now is the epilogue.


Remember to check out Joaftheloaf and please show your support to him!