• Published 10th Nov 2014
  • 3,765 Views, 57 Comments

Mending Souls: What's in My Heart - atomicpuffin



Book Three of the 'Mending Series' where we see what's going on in the chaos family and what happens to them when an unknown danger comes calling.

  • ...
5
 57
 3,765

Chapter Nine

Author's Note:

Sorry for the long wait everyone. One of my co-workers got me sick again so I've been miserable this last week and had no desire to do anything but sit in bed. So here's chapter nine! I will also try and get chapter ten up tonight. Please Enjoy!

It was time...Discord looked around Ponyville, thankful that all inhabitants were taking his advice and staying indoors. He sat in the center of town, slowly letting his magic seep into the air for her to track. Morgana was dangerous, but predictable. She was always bloodthirsty, but it was because she was so driven to becoming immortal. Most of the monsters that could do what her, Tirek and Discord did were immortal...Morgana was cursed with having to 'refuel' her energy. Much like a pony does when they get hungry. She would be coming for him soon, still believing he was her key to finally meeting that goal.

Now all he had to do was wait. He had placed the barrier over his castle after he had left. It had taken a large store of his magic to enhance it so that even Kibou couldn't teleport through it. It was better though that he wasn't at full strength, he couldn't let her have all of his magic, he had to make sure she couldn't return to Equestria before Kibou was older. It wasn't long after he had been born that Discord realized just how strong his son's magic was.

Discord had formed this plan shortly after he realized it was Morgana coming. He knew there was no way he could stop her...but...but maybe Kibou could. If he could prevent her from meeting his son before his magic fully matured then Equestria would be saved. Discord had no doubt that once his magic store had run out she would return seeking more, and Equestria had more magic than any other land. He hadn't lied when he said that Kibou's magic was stronger than any Discord had ever seen. Once he was older and could control all his powers nothing, not even Morgana, could stand up to Kibou.

Discord believed that it was his wife's elemental magic that fed and worked with his chaos magic to create a much more powerful magic within Kibou...all he had to do was ensure that the magic was given a chance to grow. That meant stopping Morgana...all he had to do was make her think she had won.

Morgana's greatest weakness was that, unlike Tirek, she lost the magic she absorbed. She wasn't completely immortal and even when she drained him of his magic she wouldn't gain his immortality, despite what she thought.

The one thing that made her so dangerous was that she temporarily gained her victims powers. So she would become omnipotent like he was, however the more magic she used the faster it left her body. It was why she was always hungry for a magic source and why she was obsessed with Discord in the first place.

He knew she thought that if she absorbed his life force it would make her immortal at last. However it would only be a temporary feeling and she would return to her weaker form shortly after. He was sure even now the store of Sombra's magic was beginning to leave her body.

Something shifted in his body and he growled. She was coming...He heard laughter behind him and he turned too late, a shadow materialized behind him. Her black tail wrapped around his body and she began to squeeze. He glared up into the black eyes of the monster holding him.

Her red mane had grey streaks in it and her green coat was frayed in places. Signs that indeed she was running out of the magic stored within her body. She hissed through her sharp teeth and grinned at him.

"Ah...my favorite treat...I have found you at last and I will finish the most amazing meal I've ever had."

He laughed. She flinched at the sound then glared down at him and tightened her grip. He grinned, quickly flashing out of her grasp, floating a few feet away from her.

"What?!" She shouted as she noticed him. He let out a burst of confetti and shouted,

"Surprise! Oh what's the matter Morgana? Didn't Sombra tell you just how powerful I am? Did you even ask before you stole his magic?"

She growled at him and struck out with her tail, he dodged easily and her tail crashed into the fountain. Gravel and water flew into the air as she hissed at him again.

"That unicorn, what a waste of my time...I was going to take one of those princesses...but they were too heavily guarded. So I was forced to take that unicorn, even using my last magic source to break those chains. Hardly worth it as he was hardly a snack for me...it took four years before his magic store had even grown large enough to replace what I lost coming here. However his knowledge of you proved useful in finding your hiding places. Yours is the only magic that has ever quenched my thirst!" She shouted and lunged for him. He enlarged himself and tackled her, his weight pushing her backwards. The two went tumbling back and crashed into town hall.

Discord was standing over her and he growled at her. Morgana wasn't intimidated, instead his strength seemed to make her hungrier, she smiled and managed to wrap her tail around his waist. He cried out in pain as she begun to tighten her hold and he could feel his magic seeping out of him. While she was draining his magic he couldn't focus so he decided to go with his physical strength.

He latched his jaws onto her tail and she howled in pain instantly releasing him. He stumbled away and growled in frustration. She had managed to get a good amount of his magic...she was faster at 'eating' it than the last time they'd met and now he had more to offer. Still he couldn't go down without a fight, not if he was to make her believe she had beaten the most powerful being in the world...he had to keep her from the truth. She couldn't know there was one stronger than him... He had to speed things up, if she could drain him this fast he couldn't chance staying in Equestria.

She turned on him and growled again. He waited, knowing what she was going to do and what he would have to do in return. She lunged at him and as she wrapped around him he teleported far from Equestria...

He thought of his family and prayed that just this once they listened to him.

Keep them safe Kibou…


"Kibou...please stop pacing so much...you're making me tired just watching you." Storm grumbled from his bed. He smiled over at her then frowned and resumed his walking. She sighed and groaned, Storm didn't understand and he couldn't explain it. Something wasn't sitting right with him...something about the way his father had acted before he left. He had acted as if...as if he didn't plan on returning.

"It doesn't make sense…" Kibou grumbled and he heard Storm chuckle. He turned and she was smiling at him, still curled on his bed.

She shook her head and said,

"When does anything about Uncle Discord make sense? Come on Kibou, you're worrying too much. He'll be okay, no creature is more powerful than Uncle Discord."

Kibou smiled and flashed next to her, curling his body around her. She sighed happily and snuggled against him. He smiled down at her and nuzzled her ear. She was right of course, even his father had said no pony was as strong, magic wise, as he was...except...hadn't he said...

"Wait!" Kibou shouted and Storm jumped startled. She frowned at the look in Kibou's eyes. His breathing was quickening and suddenly everything his father had said came back to him. He knew what wasn't settling in his heart...in his own way his father had been telling Kibou the truth...all of it. Each thought caused his heart to speed up and tears to form in his eyes.

Your magic is stronger than mine was when I was your age...she's here to finish off what she started…daddy will keep you safe…I love you so much, never forget that...

His father had been saying goodbye. He had told Kibou about his magic being strong, so Kibou would continue to protect their family! All those spells he had taught Kibou when he was young were so he could continue to protect his mother and sister when his father wasn't around...His father didn't truly believe he could defeat Morgana, he was going to sacrifice himself!

Kibou jumped off the bed and ran to the window, praying he was wrong. Just as he feared though, when he looked out at the sky he could see the barrier fading in and out of sight. His father's magic was fading...which meant he was dying!

"Kibou what's…" She was cut off as Kibou turned suddenly and grabbed her shoulders. He kissed her deeply. He knew what he had to do...he would protect his family. All of his family…

"Storm I have to go…"

"Wait...what? You can't leave...Uncle Discord said…"

"Things have changed. I think dad is in trouble and I'm the only one who can help. Storm please don't tell any of this to our aunts...they have to stay here. Dad was right when he said they would be no match for Morgana. Storm…" He stopped and pulled her tight against him. He loved her so much and he couldn't leave without tell her so.

"Storm...I love you…" She gasped at his words and he continued,

"I have loved you for so long...I didn't think you would feel the same because of how I looked…" He placed a claw over her lips when she would have interrupted him. He had to say all of this or he never would and time was important right now.

"You are what gave me so much strength over the years. Storm I love you with my whole heart, it belongs to you and will remain so for all eternity. I can't imagine life without you...I promise you that I will come home as soon as I find my father...I have many plans for us and I don't want to miss out on a single day with you."

He kissed her again and she melted against him. He quietly snapped his fingers so she wouldn't notice. A small black box appeared next to her tail...inside was a chain he had created himself using his magic. It was how he saw her...no matter which way you looked at the chain its colors would shine...ever changing, but always beautiful. It was his promise to her...a promise for the future he had planned.

"I love you...I'll be back…" He whispered as he flashed out of the room.


Discord was panting, he was just grateful he had inflicted several wounds to the creature towering over him. She would have to use some of his magic to heal herself, draining it further. She had drained almost all of his magic and he felt himself growing weaker. He snapped his fingers and she began to sink into the ground, he grinned at the scream of fury that escaped her lips. He knew he should get up and run, but he didn't have enough strength and he doubted that he'd make it that far anyways.

She managed to pull herself out of his trap and advanced on him, teeth bared. Discord tried to stand and fight, but fell flat again. He couldn't even summon a simple spell to knock her back. His magic was draining out of him like an open wound. He watched as Morgana closed her eyes in bliss and knew this was the end of it.

She would finish him and then his family would be safe from her. She wouldn't be able to return right away for fear of wasting his magic...not that it would matter. The stronger the magic, the faster it was wasted, always leaving the body in some form. His magic would fade faster than another source, so she would return to her weaker form before she ever made it back to his family. They were far enough from Equestria that if she tried to teleport back it would drain most of her 'eaten' magic and she would be weak once again.

He closed his own eyes and imagined his beautiful wife and his darling children. He felt tears slide down his cheeks knowing he would never see them again. At least he had been able to protect them...by sacrificing his life and giving Kibou the chance to grow into the hero he was meant to be, Discord may have finally paid back all the pain he had cause as the Lord of Chaos…

His final thoughts would be of his loving family and how he was grateful that they would have each other. Kibou could even replace the immortality spell on Fluttershy...his own would fade once he did. Although, some selfish part of him hoped that she wouldn't, so he could see her again. It was growing harder for him to breathe and he knew Morgana was almost done with him.

I've accepted this...those I love will be safe now…

Morgana let out a shriek in pain and Discord forced his heavy eyes to open. The creature was flying through the air far from where Discord was laying. His ears twitched as he heard a deep growl above him. He slowly turned his head and his eyes widened.

Oh Celestia no…


Kibou stood on all fours, crouching over his father in a protective gesture. He had arrived just in time, he could see that his father was fading and he had to get him away from here and fast.

"What...what are…" His father rasped and Kibou hushed him, nuzzling his father's snout with his own.

"It's okay...I'm here now...I'm going to take you home daddy…" Discord tried to shake his head and he lifted a wobbly arm and pushed against Kibou's face.

"Go...you...you shouldn't be…"

Morgana let out another cry as she regained her composure, however when she turned to face the fool that had attacked her she froze. Her eyes fell on Kibou and she smiled, the cold gaze made Kibou shiver deep in his heart. He bared his teeth at the monster, still shielding his father's body with his own. His hackles were standing up and his eyes were nothing more than slits, he didn't realize it, but he looked just like his father did when he was really angry. Morgana laughed and clapped her hooves like a young kid on Hearths Warming.

"Oh my what luck! Discord why didn't you tell me that there were more of you? Oh it doesn't matter I forgive you and will simply take both of your magic now!" She advanced on the two of them and Kibou felt his father push against him again.

"Kib...please...you can't...you have...go…" The weakness he heard in his father's voice set something off inside Kibou and he began to softly glow. He turned on the creature threatening his family and snarled at the beast. Never had he behaved like this, it was pure instinct that was driving him. All he knew was his entire body was screaming to protect his father.

He summoned a simple spell, one that his father had taught him, but it was growing in strength fueled by his instincts. Morgana saw the energy ball and laughed,

"You really think that will work? Do you know nothing of who I am? I absorb magic and nothing you do can hu-AHH!" She shouted as the massive ball crashed into her stomach sending her flying. She curled in a ball baring her teeth in pain, she lifted her hand and stared in shock at the burn marking her skin.

She looked back at the chimera that had attacked her...he was so much more powerful than the larger one lying beneath him...she had chosen the wrong one! He was the true feast she desired...and could he be the key to everlasting immortality?

"You will be mine…" She hissed and Kibou growled in response, lowering his head in warning. He felt his father groan as he lifted to his feet, Kibou tried to hold him down, but Discord shook him off.

He moved to stand in front of Kibou and swayed slightly on his feet, still he faced down Morgana. He lowered his own head as Kibou had and growled in warning at the creature.

"You won't...touch him witch...Kibou...you have...to go...now…she can't...get...your magic...go…"

Kibou stood frozen looking at his father. What did he mean by she could get his magic? Had his father planned this the whole time, had he been trying to keep her from getting near Kibou? Well he wasn't going to just leave his father here to die at the hands of this beast. He moved to stand next to his father, ignoring the warning growl his father sent him. He smiled at his father and winked. Discord frowned and tried to step towards Morgana, but his legs gave out from under him.

He was in no condition to fight and Kibou noticed his father's eyes were slowly shutting. He had to take him home now, his Aunt Twilight would know better what to do. Kibou caught him and moved his own body under his father's, carrying the older draconequus' weight on his back.

He turned to see Morgana getting up off the ground, still gripping her stomach in pain. He grinned at her and in a move so much like the creature he carried he held two of his claws up to his forehead and saluted her. She lunged at them screaming, but was too slow and the pair disappeared in a flash.