• Published 10th Nov 2014
  • 3,765 Views, 57 Comments

Mending Souls: What's in My Heart - atomicpuffin



Book Three of the 'Mending Series' where we see what's going on in the chaos family and what happens to them when an unknown danger comes calling.

  • ...
5
 57
 3,765

Chapter Seven

"Twilight honey...are you still awake?"

Twilight turned around to see Flash walking into the library and she smiled at her loving husband.

"Oh I'm sorry did I wake you?" She asked as he came over to where she was sitting and gave her a soft kiss on the cheek.

"Only because you weren't in bed...are you still doing the research Discord asked for?"

Twilight nodded at his question and began to flip through several books at once. Trying to find something about the creature Discord had described seeing in Tirek's mind.

"It's important that I find it as soon as possible…"

"Twilight darling...it can wait until tomorrow. You need your sleep and it's not good for the baby."

Twilight dropped all the books she had been levitating and turned to stare shocked at her husband. He was smiling at her, a twinkle in his eyes. She opened her mouth and tried to speak but all that came out was,

"How...I haven't...I was going to...when did you…"

He chuckled and used his hoof to close her mouth before nuzzling her nose with his. He smiled at her and winked then whispered,

"I didn't know...I only had my suspicions. However, now I know for sure." His smile widened and Twilight found herself beaming at him as she threw her arms around him. He kissed her and whispered into her ear.

"Come to bed my love...this can wait until tomorrow."

She nodded and blew out the candle before following her husband out. As she was closing the door she thought she saw a shadow move along the wall, but when she looked around she didn't see anything.

"Maybe I need more sleep than I thought…" She whispered and closed the door.


Kibou sighed in relief and moved out of the corner he had hidden in. He had been so afraid his Aunt Twilight had seen him. Although he could break out of her magic now, he knew she would have told his parents he had been there.

He used his magic to relight the candle and began to locate several books that would help him answer some of his questions. He was suddenly grateful for all those times Aunt Twilight had made him sit and practice searching through several books at once. She had been right, the trick was very useful. He used his magic to float the books in front of him and scan through the pages flipping.

He almost missed it as it flashed by…

Kibou reached out grabbing the book allowing the others to fall to the ground. He returned to the page he had passed and stopped breathing. There on the page was a drawing of his father...there was no doubt who it was. However he was standing still and his coat was entirely grey as two alicorns flew in a circle around him.

He swallowed as he read the text on the other page.

The Lord of Chaos ruled the land in fear, chaos raining upon ponies under his control. Until the day the two alicorn sisters stood up to him and harnessed the most powerful weapon in Equestria. The Elements of Harmony. Using the elements the alicorn sisters were able to stop the Lord of Chaos, permanently turning him to stone. Preventing him from spreading his chaos further across the land…

Kibou didn't read any further. He looked back at the picture and the implications made his heart break...His father had lied to him…

He had told him that they had banished him, but this...turned to stone? No wonder his father had been so angry with the ponies after getting free the second time. Kibou closed the book and looked at the title 'The History of Chaos'. It was a newer book, the date said it had only been published two years ago. He quickly checked who the author was but frowned at the name not recognizing it. He knew most of the major history authors, again thanks to his Aunt Twilight.

Who in the hay is Twinkling Star?

He snorted and opened the book again. Determined to prove that the twins were wrong...okay so they had been right about his dad turning to stone. Of course, Kibou was a bit upset his father had lied to him...but he hadn't really. All his father had done was omit the detail that his 'banishment' was inside a stone prison.

But if he lied to me about that...what else is he hiding from me?

Kibou swallowed and flipped through more pages until he came across the name he was searching for. Tirek…

After Tirek managed to escape his prison cell in Tartarus he began to steal unicorn magic. Discovering his escape, Princess Celestia tasked one reformed Discord to track down the criminal and bring him back.

Kibou sighed in relief. See it was just as his fath…his eyes scanned the rest.

However...what Celestia didn't count on was Tirek convincing Discord to return to his former ways. Discord once again became the Lord of Chaos, joining forces with Tirek. He helped him round up all the ponies in Equestria so Tirek could gain even more power. As Tirek had gained almost all magic in the land the princesses had no choice, but to give up their own magic. Three of the alicorns-Celestia, Luna, and Mi Amore Cadenza (also known as Cadence) gave their magic to the newest alicorn princess; Princess Twilight Sparkle.

When Tirek discovered what the alicorns had done he decided he had to take on the new princess. Since she had gained so much power, he would need something to force her to give him her magic. Discord told Tirek about the princess' friends and how she was completely devoted to them.

Discord captured the former bearers of the Elements of Harmony and held them in a cage as Tirek stole their magic from them. Discord betrayed his friends...

Kibou dropped the book and stumbled back as if the thing had burned him. He hit a table and knocked over a large stack of books. He heard hoof beats and quickly flashed out the library.


Discord and Fluttershy were laying in front of the fire enjoying the radiating warmth and the others company. Discord looked down at his wife and grinned. She looked up and noticed him staring at her, she giggled.

"What are you looking at?"

His grin only widened and he lightly nipped her ear, then whispered against it.

"Only the most beautiful creature in Equestria…"

She giggled again, and lifted her face as Discord leaned towards her. The front door burst open and Discord instinctively jumped up, standing over Fluttershy. His fur smoothed down though once he saw it was Kibou walking in.

"Kibou...what are you doing...I thought you were in bed...son what's wrong?" Discord whispered the last part when he noticed the look of sadness on his son's face.

Kibou looked up until he met his father's eyes. Discord was surprised to see his son glaring at him. He walked over until he was standing in front of Kibou and he reached for his son. Discord gasped as Kibou slapped his paw away.

"Kibou...my little hope...what's…" Discord whispered.

"You lied to me…" Kibou hissed as he walked past his father. Discord froze for a second before turning to look at his son's back. He was so afraid of the answer, but he had to know.

"What do you mean I lied to you?"

Kibou turned on his father again, this time there was no mistaking the rage written on his face. Discord lowered himself to all fours so he would be on a closer level with his son.

"Kibou...please...son...talk to me." He reached out his claws and Kibou stepped away from the touch, still glaring at his father. Kibou's eyes began to mist and he whispered,

"You're no hero…you're...a monster..."

The words stabbed Discord in the heart and he knew his greatest fear was coming true. He looked over to Fluttershy who was still sitting by the fire looking just as shocked at their son's words. Discord swung his gaze back to his son as Kibou continued to speak,

"You told me...You said you helped stop Tirek! You didn't save Equestria from him! You helped that monster! You betrayed everypony...you…" Kibou backed up further and the look he was giving Discord caused his heart to shatter.

"You betrayed mom...you said you loved her…" Kibou turned his face away as the tears fell down his cheeks. Discord couldn't stand the pain his son was facing and he slowly moved towards him. When he was close enough he tentatively reached out and used his paw to turn Kibou's face back to his.

"Son...I don't know how you found out the truth...but you're right. I did betray your mother, but…"

Kibou jerked out of his grip and growled at him, a sound Discord had never heard come from his son before.

"WHY!? You said you loved her...that she brought you out of the darkness! How could you help that monster?"

"Kibou…" Fluttershy whispered as she came to stand beside Discord. She looked at her son and frowned.

"Kibou it's true that your father betrayed us to Tirek...but I didn't lie about how he also helped us stop him. Your father really did give Aunt Twilight the last key...the key of Friendship."

Kibou looked at his mom, he looked so confused and angry, and Discord couldn't blame his son for hating him right now. He sighed and stepped towards his son who only backed away again. Discord frowned and felt his blood run cold. He sighed and whispered, his voice growing raspy with emotion.

"It is my greatest shame...I spent every day after that trying to make it up to my friends...to your mother. Kibou, it was after Tirek that I realized how much I loved your mother. Not before, like I told you. I may have loved her, but I didn't realize I did at the time. Back then I still thought all I had was one friend and my chaos. However I was forced to contain my magic and then it made me feel angry and caged…"

His poor choice of words set Kibou off again. He growled at his father and Fluttershy heard an all too familiar rumble.

"Kibou…" She tried to warn, but neither of them heard her tiny squeak.

"SO YOU CAGED HER INSTEAD!? Now I truly know why ponies hate you...and I agree with them…" He growled as he turned from his father. Discord panicked as his son turned from him and flashed himself into Kibou's path.

"Wait...let me fully explain myself…"

"NO! ALL YOU'LL TELL ME IS MORE LIES!" Kibou shouted as he glared up at him. Discord growled in frustration and shook his head.

"No more lies...I'll tell you the whole story…if you'll just..."

"Too late...you had your chance…" Kibou whispered and turned away again. Discord's heart shattered completely and he lost all sense, he got so angry. At whoever had pointed Kibou in the right direction and angry at himself for lying. He jumped into the air and landed in front of Kibou again, not hearing the tiny,

"Please you two, stop…"

"You want to know the truth son?" Discord growled. Kibou didn't cower, instead he stood his ground and glared up at his father. Discord felt a twinge of pride at the fact.

"Yes, I hated it...I hated being on a leash. Being forced to cower to ponies...I thought myself a fool for giving up my chaos for one pony. I believed Tirek was my salvation. My escape from the prison I had placed myself in, with those I thought my friends. Truth was that none of them really trusted me...I had moments where I even doubted your mother."

Discord heard the gasp from his wife, but he was too angry to stop. Another rumble shook the ground and Fluttershy was having flashbacks.

"Please Discord...don't…"

"I chose to follow Tirek. I thought he was offering me a way to have both a friend and my chaos back. Tirek wove a web of lies around me and I fell for it. He played me for the fool and I let him. I caged your mother and nothing hurts me more than remembering the look on her face as she realized I had betrayed her."

He advanced on his son and this time Kibou backed away. Fluttershy flew closer to the two feeling the horrifying trembles shake the castle. She knew what was coming and she had to stop them before they hurt each other.

Discord closed his eyes and rasped,

"You want the truth? In all my years of ruling Equestria...all those ponies who I used as nothing more than toys. None of it made me feel more like a monster than seeing the pony I loved sobbing at the blow I had dealt her. Your mother had so much ill placed faith in me and I broke her heart…" Discord stopped all the anger draining from him. He lowered his head and the tears fell down his snout. Kibou continued to glare at his father, then he whispered,

"So why...why did you lie to me?"

Discord let out a sob, he raised his eyes and there was so much pain in his gaze that Kibou flinched. Discord opened his mouth, but no words would come out. He turned his gaze away again and sighed. He spoke so low that Kibou almost didn't hear what he said.

"So you wouldn't know the kind of monster I am…" He put more emphasis into the last word than ever before. Showing that he truly still believed he was a monster, that at heart he would always be a monster.

Kibou started to cry harder and it made Discord lift his head. He went to his son and reached to pull him into his embrace. Fluttershy started to sigh in relief as she felt the tremors end...all their anger was gone. Or so she thought...Kibou shouted and tackled his father slashing at his face with his claws.

Kibou was standing on Discord's chest glaring down at him, tears streaming out of his eyes. Then he noticed the scratches on his father's cheek and realized he had attacked him and inflicted the injury. He growled and put his nose against his father's hissing,

"You're right...you are still that monster...and if you're a monster...then that makes me one too."

Then without another word Kibou turned and ran out of the house into the night. Fluttershy flew to the door, but it was too late he had disappeared into the darkness. She felt her own tears fall as she turned to see Discord still laying on the floor. All she could hear was his ragged breathing as he cried out.

She went to his side and saw the brokenness lingering in his eyes.

"Discord...we...we have to…" She tried to say, but her voice was breaking so much that she couldn't convey what she needed to. Discord closed his eyes and let out another sob as he rolled to his side. He curled himself into a ball and gripped his chest at the pain radiating through his body.

Fluttershy wrapped her arms around him and held him through his heartbreak. She cried along with him and sent out a prayer that Kibou would be safe until they found him.


Kibou hadn't flown far, not knowing where to go he had simply flown until he came across a stray cloud. He landed on the soft material and collapsed into sobs. He curled himself up tight and cried out his heart break.

He was a monster...it had to be true. If his father could turn on the pony he loved, what would stop Kibou from doing the same? He carried in him his father's blood, his magic. Would the same urges his father had felt eventual come to him when his magic grew stronger? Right now he felt fine, but could that be simply because his magic wasn't as strong as his father's yet?

He buried his snout under his arms, so confused and angry that he didn't know what was true anymore.

Who can I trust if I can't even trust myself?

"Kibou?" A soft whisper startled him and he lifted his head to see Storm standing next to him on the cloud. He groaned and buried his head again, she shouldn't be here...he was dangerous...he was...a monster.

"Kibou? Are...are you okay?" She said again and placed her hoof against his neck and he flinched away from the touch. He stood up and stepped towards the edge as he looked at his best friend. At the concern radiating from her eyes and he thought about the scratches on his father's cheek. He flinched and turned away from her.

"Go away Storm...you shouldn't be hanging around a monster like me…" He spread his wings and took off into the night. His ear twitched as he heard her coming up behind him. He growled again and dove hoping to avoid her. It was all pointless, she was the best flyer in Equestria and had taught him most of his tricks...but not all of them. When she was right behind his tail she shouted his name and he spread his wings, pulling himself out of his sudden dive. She shot right past him, her feather wings couldn't slow her down as fast as his larger ones, especially when one was leathery like a bat's.

He flapped them again, flying off in the opposite direction. When he didn't hear her coming after him he chanced a glance behind him, she was nowhere to be seen and he sighed. He turned back and slowed down, that's when he felt a heavy object fall on him from above. He fell to the ground, skidding across the grass. Thankful, he didn't feel anything worse than a few bruises. When he tried to stand up he felt that same weight stand on his head and hold him down.

"Now answer me Kibou! What do you mean by monster!?" Storm shouted. He growled and stood up, using his full strength, something her small frame couldn't fight against. He looked at her as she fell on the floor, landing on her back. He stood over her, his body covering hers as he stared down at her. He narrowed his eyes and whispered,

"Exactly what I said...I'm nothing more than a lowly monster...and you deserve more than a creature like me Storm…" He closed his eyes at the pain the words brought him. They were true, although he loved her with all his heart, she deserved so much better. He turned to walk away and she scrambled to her feet and tackled his back legs tripping him.

He growled and turned to pull her off, but she was already moving and jumping at his chest next. The two tumbled over each other as if they were simply wrestling like they always did. This time though the stakes were higher, if Storm didn't win she wouldn't get the answers she needed. Storm managed to come out on top panting as she glared down at him again.

She hissed through clenched teeth,

"Oh no you don't...you are not getting away with a pathetic excuse like that! What's going on Kibou? This isn't like you...this isn't who you are!" She said and Kibou noticed the tears forming in her eyes. He groaned and grabbed her shoulders, he rolled over so he was standing over her.

"Yes it is! It's who I really am underneath! I was a fool to think I could be something other than what ponies thought I was…" He frowned and got off of her, backing away. She sat up and frowned at him. He sat back on his haunches and lowered his head, his ears drooping.

"Go home Storm...run as far away from me as you can...while you still can…"

"No…" She whispered as she walked over to him. He was about to get up when she suddenly threw her arms around his neck, burying her face against his shoulder. He felt her tears wet his fur and something inside him snapped. Out of instinct he wrapped his arms around her and held her tightly against him.

"Kib...please...tell me what's wrong...I...I can't stand...to see you...like this…" She sobbed between each breath and Kibou looked down at her shocked. He had never seen Storm cry, not once in all the years they had grown up together. She was always the strong one, the one who would wipe away his tears. Seeing her this way brought out the protective side of him and he lifted his tail to use the tuft of fur to wipe away her tears. She pulled back in his embrace and gazed at him, fresh tears still lingering in her eyes.

"Kib...please…" She whispered and he sighed before pulling her back against him. He wrapped his arms completely around her and he felt her head rest against his heart. If only she knew how that heart longed for her.

"I found out the truth...my father...he...he betrayed my mother...he gave her to Tirek…"

Storm sniffled and held him tighter. She whispered, her nose buried in his fur,

"I know…"

Kibou flinched and dropped her stepping away staring at her in shock. She was also stunned at having been dropped so suddenly and looked up at Kibou. He was frowning at her and he began to shake.

"You knew...you knew the truth and...and you kept it from me?" He growled. She jumped at the sound, but stood to her full height meeting his eyes. She nodded her head and Kibou felt his heart break completely. Even Storm...his best friend...his true love...had lied to him. She had known this whole time that he was the son of a monster...that he was a monster.

"Why then? Why would you want to be around me when you knew what I am?" He growled, feeling his hackles raise. He was surprised that she didn't flinch, instead she glared right back and shouted at him.

"What do you mean why? You are my friend! I enjoy being around you! Kibou, you are NOT a monster!"

"YES I AM! It was always there for me to see! Had my family not gone to such extreme measures to hide it from me I would have seen it sooner!"

"Kibou! They were going to tell you! They were just waiting for the right time! I wanted to tell you the truth, desperately! But my mom made me swear that I wouldn't breathe a word! You deserved to hear the truth from your father and no one else!"

He growled at her again and took a step towards her, she didn't back away.

"It doesn't matter when they decided to tell me...nothing they, or you say changes facts. I am the son of the meanest monster to ever walk Equestria…" Storm gasped at this and stared at him in horror, but he continued without pause.

"For only a true monster could turn his back on the one he claimed to love and choose power instead! He chose his power over my mother!"

"Then why did she marry him!?" Storm shouted and the question froze Kibou in his tracks. He opened his mouth, but nothing came out. Storm realized she had made it past the fog in his brain and reached the real Kibou. She took a step towards him and said softer,

"If he betrayed her...if he is such a monster, how could she love him? Why did Aunt Fluttershy marry Uncle Discord if he was so bad? What made them stay together? Why do you think they had you and Flitterbee?"

Kibou continued to stand there stunned as the anger began to fade away and Storm's words worked into his mind and heart. What she said made so much sense...his mother loved his father dearly. At the same time, any fool could see that his father worshiped the ground his mother walked on. Their love was true and they were completely devoted to each other. His parents...

"But...he…" Kibou whispered, his brow furrowed in concentration as he thought about how his parents acted around each other. They didn't act like two ponies who had once been enemies would. They were always smiling when they were around one another, nuzzling their mate affectionately. Kibou remembered the way his father lit up when his mother walked into the room, his eyes glowing with love. It was the same look Kibou got when he saw Storm…his eyes widened as he looked down at his friend. She was smiling up at him, waiting for him to see the truth once more.

"Storm...I…"

She hushed him and walked over snuggling against him. She nuzzled the soft fur over his heart and he felt it skip a beat, before beginning to race. He felt tears form in his eyes again as he wrapped her in his arms. He buried his snout in her beautiful rainbow mane and sobbed.

"What have I done? I...I said such awful things to him...I didn't even give him a chance to explain…" Kibou whispered as he thought of his poor father. How heart-broken he must feel right now, thinking that Kibou hated him.

"You were upset...and angry, I'm sure if you talk to him everything will work out. Kibou, I'm sorry I lied to you...I would have..." He pulled back and placed his claw against her lips. He grinned at the small blush in her cheeks.

"There's nothing for you to apologize for...you did what my family asked. I'm proud that you showed such loyalty to them...truly you are your mother's daughter Stormy."

She flushed even more at his compliment and then smiled up at him. She wrapped her arms around his neck and gave him another tight hug.

"So are you Kibou...you have to remember something very important. You look like Uncle Discord and have his magic...but you carry the heart of Aunt Fluttershy. I remember asking my mother about your parents when I was very young. I asked her how someone like Aunt Fluttershy could love someone like Uncle Discord? My mother told me something that I thought was strange then, but now...after knowing you...it's starting to make sense."

Kibou pulled away and frowned down at her once more as he asked,

"What's that?"

She pulled out of his arms, smiling up at him as she took him paw between her two hooves.

"She told me that although chaos and kindness may seem like the most opposite elements in this world...when they work together as one something beautiful and powerful is created…"

Kibou's breathing quickened at the look in her eyes. She was staring at him as he had often dreamed of her looking up at him, her eyes shining. She was staring at him with such intensity and passion that Kibou felt his heart stop. Could it be that Storm...beautiful, strong Storm...felt more towards him than friendship? He had trouble finding his voice and he gasped when she released his paw and grabbed his face between her hooves.

She smiled at him and he swallowed as she brought his face closer to hers. His heart was beating frantically as she continued to look at him with such fire in her green eyes. He was afraid that this would turn out to be another trick. Perhaps even just a very, very complicated dream...

"Do you know what that beautiful thing is Kibou?" She whispered and he felt her warm breath brush against his lips. He closed his eyes and groaned at the shiver that raced through his body. His breathing was growing ragged and he could only croak a response,

"No…"

He peeked at her through one eye and saw her smile at his simple answer.

"Love…" She whispered before pressing her lips against his.